TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
Time_Lord

Angry What's with the crappy remote control

My rant -

Disappointed in TiVO's quality of the remotes, after a few months of use the printing on the buttons is wearing off.

With how long remote controls have been made you think TiVo could spend $0.50 to come up with a remote where the printing on the buttons won't wear off!
Time_Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
poppagene
User

I've been using Tivos for over 12 years and I've never experienced the problem you're describing. Series 1 2, 3, and Premiere Tivos as well as series 1, 2, and 3 directv tivos. Regular remotes, glo remotes and a slide remote. Never wore out the letters or numbers on any past or present remotes in 12 years.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
tatergator1

The remote that came with my August 2012 Premiere has this exact problem, but my old Series 2 remotes that saw heavy use for at least 5 years are still good. If nothing else, there was a crappy batch of the basic peanut remotes.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
mattack

I've definitely had the writing come off on various remotes (including Tivos), but IMHO, Tivo remotes are BY FAR the best remote I've ever used in terms of actual usability..

Plus, after using them a while, you don't need the printing... just like you should be able to touch-type.. (only slightly joking on both of these)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
muzzymate

All the lettering on the remotes that came with my 2 Tivo Premieres have rubbed off.
muzzymate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
Time_Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
...IMHO, Tivo remotes are BY FAR the best remote I've ever used in terms of actual usability..
Don't me started on useability, I find that I'm pressing buttons at the very top of the remote then going to buttons on the very bottom of the remote enough that I find it difficult to make my selections while holding it in one hand and selecting with the thumb of that hand because I need to shift the remote in my hand to make my selections.

The functions on the remote are fine, but the thought as to the button layout needs some serious rethinking, I swear some engineer laid out the buttons and decided what they will do on a dart board, in addition I think many of the buttons can be better used (reused) based upon what mode you are in.

Then again you can't please everybody all the time.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #7
Jonathan_S

The numbers wore off my old DTiVo remotes. But it wasn't a huge deal because I didn't really need to look at the remote to use it.

My TiVo HD remote (and now my slide remote) held up much better.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
moyekj

I've got a peanut Glo remote that came with an S3 OLED unit with 1-2 button that is 6+ years old with nothing rubbed off and functioning fine, and it's used frequently (every day). So I'd say that's a pretty good remote. I think most subsequent peanut remotes have looked "cheaper" than the Glo remote.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #9
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I've got a peanut Glo remote that came with an S3 OLED unit with 1-2 button that is 6+ years old with nothing rubbed off and functioning fine, and it's used frequently (every day). So I'd say that's a pretty good remote. I think most subsequent peanut remotes have looked "cheaper" than the Glo remote.
The Glo remote with the DVR 1/2 switch has the numbers molded in versus painted or silkscreened on. We're still using our original S3 OLED Glo remote and we've just barely worn the black off the edge of the fast forward button and you can see it's actually white underneath a layer of black.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:33 AM   #10
Time_Lord

I complained to TiVo and I got them to replace one of the remote controls under warranty. Their tech support said I should press the buttons so hard. Unbelievable, but at least I got one of the remote replaced.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #11
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time_Lord View Post
Don't me started on useability, I find that I'm pressing buttons at the very top of the remote then going to buttons on the very bottom of the remote enough that I find it difficult to make my selections while holding it in one hand and selecting with the thumb of that hand because I need to shift the remote in my hand to make my selections.
I guess you use the actual # keypad more than I do. Yeah, I seem to remember this is worse on the Premiere remote.. (The S1 remote, the keypad was easier to use with one hand.. and I have small hands.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:07 AM   #12
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time_Lord View Post
My rant -

Disappointed in TiVO's quality of the remotes, after a few months of use the printing on the buttons is wearing off.

With how long remote controls have been made you think TiVo could spend $0.50 to come up with a remote where the printing on the buttons won't wear off!
Yeah I've been paranoid about this happening with my remotes because of my extreme heavy usage, that's why I spent the extra money on the Glo Premiere remotes. Believe me I feel your pain.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:10 AM   #13
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

$13.99
Just get a new one (yea, it has an extra button for OnDemand, they are never used Charter Cable stock)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TIVO-Replace...o/190820958083

My Select, and Up and Down Arrow buttons have worn of on the regular remote. My Glo Remotes have not worn any letters off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:13 AM   #14
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Just get a new one
Sorry if I am changing the subject, but this is the only thread I could find where Tivo remotes are being discussed.

I currently have three Tivos connected, two HD Series 3 and one Toshiba Series 2 with VCR. I use two peanut remotes, one controls one series 3 and the Toshiba units and is working fine. This remote is set to Remote Address 2 (Tivo Series 3) and 4 (Toshiba).

The other remote is set to Remote Address 1 and controls only the other Series 3 with the remote button on 1. This remote has ceased to work and I have ordered two new ones, but I need help now. I know how to change the remote address by simply using the remote while in System Information.

Problem is, I cannot even access Tivo Central on the Series 3 controlled by the broken remote. I rarely use the Toshiba unit and I would like to change the number 2 button to control the other series 3 (broken remote) unit.

Since I am unable to access, Tivo Central...System Information, on the unit controlled by the broken remote, is there some other way I can change button 2 on the good remote from address 4 (Toshiba) to remote address 1 (other Series 3)? Unless I can, I cannot use that Tivo at all.

Just hope my request is not too confusing.
Tivo II Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:16 AM   #15
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivo II Jack View Post
Since I am unable to access, Tivo Central...System Information, on the unit controlled by the broken remote, is there some other way I can change button 2 on the good remote from address 4 (Toshiba) to remote address 1 (other Series 3)? Unless I can, I cannot use that Tivo at all.

Just hope my request is not too confusing.
Set one of the remotes to 0, that will control a Tivo set to ANY remote # in System Info to control it,
Old 07-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #16
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Set one of the remotes to 0, that will control a Tivo set to ANY remote # in System Info to control it,
Should have included this in my original question. I tried setting the working remote to 0 by pressing the Tivo button and Pause buttons together for several seconds. Nothing happened.

More information. As far as I know, the only way to change the remote address is to click a remote set to the desired address while in System Information. By switching the working remote between number 1 (Series 3) and 2 (Toshiba), I can set either or both addresses to address 2 or 4 but since the remote set to address 1 isn't working I am unable to reset the working Tivo button 2 (Toshiba) from address 4 to address 1.

Last edited by Tivo II Jack : 07-03-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #17
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Should have included this in my original question. I tried setting the working remote to 0 by pressing the Tivo button and Pause buttons together for several seconds. Nothing happened.

More information. As far as I know, the only way to change the remote address is to click a remote set to the desired address while in System Information. By switching the working remote between number 1 (Series 3) and 2 (Toshiba), I can set either or both addresses to address 2 or 4 but since the remote set to address 1 isn't working I am unable to reset the working Tivo button 2 (Toshiba) from address 4 to address 1.
A zero remote will control ALL numbered Tivos, so you would set a remote to zero, navigate on the cranky box the the system info page, then press 2 on it to set the Tivo, and then exit left to set it (if I'm remembering l vs r correctly) and move the remote back to 2

Remember that while the slide switch is labeled 1 and 2, those are not the channels, you can set each individually, so position 1 is CH3, and position 2 is CH7, etc
Old 07-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #18
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Remember that while the slide switch is labeled 1 and 2, those are not the channels, you can set each individually, so position 1 is CH3, and position 2 is CH7, etc
Now I am confused by your mention of channel 7. I thought the only available addresses for remotes were 1 through 4.

I just held the Tivo and pause buttons once again. This time the red light came on and stayed lit for a fairly long time. Hoping the remote address was now rest to 0 I attempted to control the Unit formerly controlled by the broken remote. It didn't work.

Last edited by Tivo II Jack : 07-03-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #19
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Now I am confused by your mention of channel 7. I thought the only available addresses for remotes were 1 through 4.

I just held the Tivo and pause buttons once again. This time the red light came on and stayed lit for a fairly long time. Hoping the remote address was now rest to 0 I attempted to control the Unit formerly controlled by the broken remote. It didn't work.
0-9 are the available channels, but it's really not that hard, there's something wrong in the process if you're having this much trouble. You can spot a 0 remote because when you press info BOTH the other Tivos will have an amber receive light. You're having way WAY more trouble than would be expected on this, I have to wonder if you have something you think you're doing that you're not actually doing.

And your process above is missing a step
Hold Tivo button and pause down until LED lights up
Press 0 on the remote
Remote blinks 3 or so times to signify done
all listed on this page quite succinctly
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/285
Old 07-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #20
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
And your process above is missing a step
Hold Tivo button and pause down until LED lights up
Press 0 on the remote
Thank you so much, I am back in business again. Using my temporarily lost sense of logic, I finally realized that after Tivo + Pause I could use the numbers keys to set any channel. On the working remote, after using the 0 setting to get into the Tivo I could not control, I was able to reset the #1 button from channel 4 to channel 1 and leave the #2 button set to channel 2.

I can now control both units with the one remote. I prefer using two remotes for my own reasons and will return to that as soon as my new remotes arrive.

Nice name BTW. I used to spend ALL my summers at a house on the Jersey Shore where we became close friends with others there who had houses for the whole season. Being an incorrigible practical joker quickly earned me the title of Jack the Brat.<g>
Old 07-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #21
Bigg

I LOVE my peanut. The TiVo remote is the best remote I've ever used, hands down, and one of the reasons I love TiVo.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #22
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
I LOVE my peanut. The TiVo remote is the best remote I've ever used, hands down, and one of the reasons I love TiVo.
The TiVo Slide remote is far better than the old IR peanut remotes. It is easier to hold, easier to use, has a much better feel, especially feedback on the buttons, the buttons are solid instead of squishy rubber, it is bluetooth so it doesn't need to be pointed at the TiVo, has a longer range, is MUCH faster, has a auto backlight, and, of course, a full keyboard.

Took a while to get used to, but once you have one for a while, you will NEVER want to use a peanut remote again
Old 07-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #23
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
The TiVo Slide remote is far better than the old IR peanut remotes. It is easier to hold, easier to use, has a much better feel, especially feedback on the buttons, the buttons are solid instead of squishy rubber, it is bluetooth so it doesn't need to be pointed at the TiVo, has a longer range, is MUCH faster, has a auto backlight, and, of course, a full keyboard.

Took a while to get used to, but once you have one for a while, you will NEVER want to use a peanut remote again
That thing must have magical powers, as the peanut has excellent IR range and sets the bar pretty high in terms of the look and feel!!!
Old 07-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #24
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
That thing must have magical powers, as the peanut has excellent IR range and sets the bar pretty high in terms of the look and feel!!!
If you haven't used a Slide for a while, you don't realize how much the peanut remote can be improved...
Old 07-05-2013, 11:32 PM   #25
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
If you haven't used a Slide for a while, you don't realize how much the peanut remote can be improved...
You had me pretty much convinced and I went shopping for a slide remote. A regular peanut can be had for $30 while the lowest price I found for a slide was $140.

I can't imagine what the slide can do for me that justifies a $110 increase in price.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:50 AM   #26
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
You had me pretty much convinced and I went shopping for a slide remote. A regular peanut can be had for $30 while the lowest price I found for a slide was $140.
They were discontinued quite a while ago (which is stupid to not wait until the next model is released) so now there is price gouging. But even still, it is not cheap

Quote:
I can't imagine what the slide can do for me that justifies a $110 increase in price.
That depends on your priorities. Some people will spend thousands of dollars on a gold plated phone, which is a far less sensible use of money. The Slide is at least three times the remote of the old peanut in terms of features/speed/convenience... so to me it is easily worth 3 times the price.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:24 AM   #27
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
$13.99
Just get a new one (yea, it has an extra button for OnDemand, they are never used Charter Cable stock)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TIVO-Replace...o/190820958083

My Select, and Up and Down Arrow buttons have worn of on the regular remote. My Glo Remotes have not worn any letters off.
I wonder if that On Demand button will work with my Xfinity On Demand app.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #28
Bigg

Quote:
They were discontinued quite a while ago (which is stupid to not wait until the next model is released) so now there is price gouging. But even still, it is not cheap

That depends on your priorities. Some people will spend thousands of dollars on a gold plated phone, which is a far less sensible use of money. The Slide is at least three times the remote of the old peanut in terms of features/speed/convenience... so to me it is easily worth 3 times the price.
It's not price gouging... it's the laws of supply and demand in a free market. Totally free markets don't always work, but in this case, it is working very well.

I can't quite imagine what's that much better about the Slide than the Peanut. The Peanut is just so good, I feel like you're really close to hitting the asymptotic line of perfection with the Peanut.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:47 AM   #29
JWhites

Back when TiVo was liquidating their slide remotes in the clearance section of the website, the prices were pretty reasonable and lower then the MSRP that they were originally selling for.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #30
XIBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
I wonder if that On Demand button will work with my Xfinity On Demand app.
I just got my extra "charter" remote and I am on Charter in GA. The Tivo says function not available when I press the extra on demand button. The remote is not backlit but the buttons look the same as my glow remote that came with my XL4.
XIBM is offline   Reply With Quote