TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-29-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
dwarner

Charter tuning adapter.. Screwey installation.

Charter came out yesterday to install a Motorola tuning adapter on my S3 (SDV not active yet. He put a splitter on it, and I just checked the cabling today. and it's like this:

Cable -- Splitter in.
Splitter output 1 - Tivo
Splitter output 2 - TA RF In.

TA RF out has what may be a terminator on it (one that requires a special tool to remove. So, the output of the TA is connected to nothing.

I just don't see how this is going to work once SDV goes active early December, and I can't re-cable it due to the locking device on the RF out.
dwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
Conard

If the USB cable is connected between the Tivo and the TA your good to go.

The TA doesn't decode and transfer the data to the Tivo by the RF line, it just tells the Tivo how to tune the requested frequency by the USB cable.

I have my TA cable out hooked to my cable box so I can use it from time to time instead of or along with my Tivo.
Conard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:08 PM   #3
lrhorer

It will work, or should, but it's not the best solution. The splitter adds upstream loss from the TA and downstream loss to the Tivo. If the upstream path is overly lossy ( i.e your house is close to a node and you have many outlets), it could create a problem. It also probably results in lower signals to your TiVo. If the downstream path is overly lossy ( i.e. your hose is far from the tap, the tap is far from the node and you have many outlets), it could cause problems. I'm not sure about the Motorola TA, but it should either have an amplifier or a directional coupler built in. Either one will result in higher signals to the TiVo and less loss upstream for the TA than the current setup. If your house is well situated in the middle of the road, or even perhaps on the hot side one or both ways, then it should be OK.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:08 PM   #4
dwarner

Ok, so the TA requests the station selected by the Tivo, and then tells the Tivo what frequency it's on..
Still, it should work with the straight through connection as shown in the manual and Tivo's instructions, right?

I guess I'll pick up a terminator tool just to experiment, or if I have issues once SDV is turned on..

Thanks for the replies
dwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:40 PM   #5
hershey4

so with extra hardware does channel changing get even slower than it already is?!?!?

I may be facing a charter TA soon and not looking forward to this extra complexity.
hershey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey4 View Post
so with extra hardware does channel changing get even slower than it already is?!?!?

I may be facing a charter TA soon and not looking forward to this extra complexity.
There can be several factors affecting the speed of tuning SDV channels. Sometimres it takes a little longer for SDV channels to display, but not more than a second or so. Other channels are unaffected. OTOH, I almost never change channels - I never watch any "channels" - so it's really not an important question to me. With the exception of the news and weather, I have virtually never watched any "live" TV in almost 11 years. I see little point in doing so.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:34 AM   #7
brewman

I recently had 3 TA's installed - I'm with Charter in Gwinnett County, GA. The tech planned to install by splitting the signal as you described rather than use the pass-thru on the TA. I had the tech install using the pass-thru and it's worked fine so far. Of course, SDV isn't scheduled to start here for a few more days so only time will tell.
brewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:41 AM   #8
vman41
Omega Consumer

I actually wire my Cisco TA so coax goes directly from the wall to the TA and then the output of the TA is split to 2 TiVos (the older unit is OTA + analog cable). This way there is minimum attenuation of the upstream signal from the TA.
vman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #9
Ichinisan

Ended-up there while doing a Google search, so I'll add my $.02 and bump this old thread:

My mother was using analog Expanded with her AVC-3610 tuner (analog-only) until I installed a Silicondust HDHomeRun Prime (digital-only) this weekend. I picked-up a cableCARD and was surprised when Charter handed me the Motorola tuning adapter. Since I work for another local cableco and read industry blogs, I knew what the device was...I just didn't think our area was using SDV for Charter customers.

The tuning adapter was used and had no package. The Charter rep taped the power cord and CableCARD to the tuning adapter. She didn't give me a splitter, coax jumpers, or USB cable. I didn't say anything because I've already accumulated lots of them. There was no terminator on the RF Out connector and no instructions. Since Charter didn't give me a splitter, I assumed they *wanted* me to use the RF output...but used a splitter since I already had one in place (the analog dual tuner had 2 RF inputs, the new HDHR triple tuner has only 1 input). I figured RF out wasn't necessary and didn't even try to use it. I just ran one coax to the tuning adapter's RF input, and the other to the HDHR tuner's RF input...and a USB cable from the TA to the tuner. It worked fine. Later, I discovered that's exactly how Charter wants you to connect it according to this page.

Despite the fact that it caused zero hassle for me, I can imagine that it would have been very confusing for my mother or anyone else.

- No instructions
- No USB cable
- No coax jumpers
- No splitter
- No RF terminator

There's no way my mother would have been able to do it herself.
Ichinisan is offline   Reply With Quote