TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
NoVa

Watch TiVo without Receiver involved?

I currently run my TiVo through my AVReceiver via HDMI to my TV.
Have to activate AVR & use that to watch TiVo & TV.

I want to independently use the TV to watch through the TiVo - without the AVR's involvement.

Which solution is a better solution?

TiVo ===> HDMI powered splitter to:
1) ===> TV
2) ===> AVR

vs.

TiVo ===> via:
HDMI thru AVR & Component to TV.
NoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
rifleman69

Not sure what you're asking here, since your third sentence is the answer you're looking for.
rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
NoVa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman69 View Post
Not sure what you're asking here, since your third sentence is the answer you're looking for.
Wasn't good diagramming it so maybe I can write it better:

Wanted to know if I want to watch the TiVo without using my AVR, is it better to connect it to the TV via component cables or add another HDMI cable via a HDMI splitter to the TV?
Old 07-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

Depends on how you want to wire it and whether or not you care about digital sound through the TV. All outputs on a TiVo are always active, so the simplest solution would be to run HDMI to the AVR and then component + stereo audio to the TV. But if you want digital audio or only want one cable running to the TV then you'll need a splitter. However be careful with HDMI splitters there can be some weird quirks if the TV only support 2ch audio then most splitters will revert to the lowest common denominator and you'll only get 2ch when listening through the AVR too.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
smithken31100

The way I have mine set up is HDMI from Tivo to TV and a toslink cable from the Tivo to the AVR. I just mute the TV if I'm using the AVR.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
NoVa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Depends on how you want to wire it and whether or not you care about digital sound through the TV. All outputs on a TiVo are always active, so the simplest solution would be to run HDMI to the AVR and then component + stereo audio to the TV. But if you want digital audio or only want one cable running to the TV then you'll need a splitter. However be careful with HDMI splitters there can be some weird quirks if the TV only support 2ch audio then most splitters will revert to the lowest common denominator and you'll only get 2ch when listening through the AVR too.

Thanks Dan - audio isn't as important when watch the daily news

However, what sort of resolution should I be expecting if using the component cables? 1080i or 1080p?

Also - with regards to the quirk you mention, doesn't that just necessitate me changing my AVR back to where I need it to be - simple button no?

Last edited by NoVa : 07-02-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
NoVa

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithken31100 View Post
The way I have mine set up is HDMI from Tivo to TV and a toslink cable from the Tivo to the AVR. I just mute the TV if I'm using the AVR.
Unfortunately, this way would still necessitate turning on the AVR Which I want to minimize for daily viewing.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa View Post
Thanks Dan - audio isn't as important when watch the daily news

However, what sort of resolution should I be expecting if using the component cables? 1080i or 1080p?

Also - with regards to the quirk you mention, doesn't that just necessitate me changing my AVR back to where I need it to be - simple button no?
Component has a max of 1080i, but that doesn't matter because so does TV. Only BluRay and some online services like Netflix use 1080p.

The splitting thing can actually cause the TiVo itself to only output 2ch audio so it's not as simple as just switching the AVR on. If you're using an actual splitter then it will likely drop to the lowest common denominator. If you're using a switch then you may need to turn the TV off and then back on after the AVR to get it to redo the HDMI handshake and pick up the proper capabilities. Some switch boxes are smarter and will force a new handshake when switching. There are also a few that allow you to spoof the handshake inside the switch so you can force whatever parameters you want. Although those tend to be expensive.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:12 AM   #9
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Unfortunately, this way would still necessitate turning on the AVR Which I want to minimize for daily viewing.
No, it doesn't. Reread what he said again - you run HDMI to the TV and optical to the receiver, that's what I do as well. You only turn on the AVR if you want surround sound etc. and most of what I watch is with the TV on only.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:57 AM   #10
poppagene
User

Quote:
Same here except I just turn off the TV's internal speakers or lower the volume to zero to avoid the mute icon showing on tv display when using the AVR.
poppagene is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #11
poppagene
User

Quote:
You can still use the TV's internal speakers when you want to.

If you run component to the TV you will also need to run a audio feed to the TV.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #12
takeshi

Quote:
Just be aware that some TV's only support certain types of audio with this set up. IIRC my Viera GT30 only offers stereo -- no 5.1 or DTS. Check on your specific TV if that concerns you.
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #13
NoVa

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
No, it doesn't. Reread what he said again - you run HDMI to the TV and optical to the receiver, that's what I do as well. You only turn on the AVR if you want surround sound etc. and most of what I watch is with the TV on only.

Yes - I see it now. Thanks for the clarification.

I think in my rush to buy into the HDMI propaganda, I had forgotten the optical out option that would allow me just to turn on the TV without involving the receiver.

So now, if my logic serves me correct,
Option A- there will be only 2 wire connections:
1) Watch TV only = TiVo >>>HDMI >>> TV
2) Watch TV with Stereo = TiVo >>>Optical Out >>> AVReceiver >>> TV

vs.
Option B- my original strategy of 6 wires:
1) Watch TV only = TiVo >>> Component Video & audio >>> TV
2) Watch TV with Stereo = TiVo >>> HDMI >>> AVReceiver >>>TV

Questions:
1) Will running running Option A2) with the optical audio cable negate Dolby Digital 5.1 programming & only give me DD 2.0 Stereo or is that the function of the AVR which will handle all of that?

2) Will running the Toslink get me back the TiVo Effect sounds on the AVR & via HDMI on the TV?

Last edited by NoVa : 07-03-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #14
NoVa

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
Just be aware that some TV's only support certain types of audio with this set up. IIRC my Viera GT30 only offers stereo -- no 5.1 or DTS. Check on your specific TV if that concerns you.
Yes - my Panny ST60 only processes 2.1...but that is acceptable for daily TV viewing.
Hopefully, the Toslink can offer the 5.1 oomph when I need it

Now to send back to Amazon all my powered HDMI splitters & Components cables.

Thanks all!!
Old 07-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #15
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Yes - I see it now. Thanks for the clarification.

I think in my rush to buy into the HDMI propaganda, I had forgotten the optical out option that would allow me just to turn on the TV without involving the receiver.

So now, if my logic serves me correct,
Option A- there will be only 2 wire connections:
1) Watch TV only = TiVo >>>HDMI >>> TV
2) Watch TV with Stereo = TiVo >>>Optical Out >>> AVReceiver >>> TV

vs.
Option B- my original strategy of 6 wires:
1) Watch TV only = TiVo >>> Component Video & audio >>> TV
2) Watch TV with Stereo = TiVo >>> HDMI >>> AVReceiver >>>TV

Questions:
1) Will running running Option A2) with the optical audio cable negate Dolby Digital 5.1 programming & only give me DD 2.0 Stereo or is that the function of the AVR which will handle all of that?

2) Will running the Toslink get me back the TiVo Effect sounds on the AVR & via HDMI on the TV?
I use option A but the AVR drives my surround speakers only, there's no need to run the AVR output to the TV. You just mute the TV when you use the AVR for DD 5.1, and leave the AVR off if all you want is TV stereo sound.

You'll get DD 5.1 on the AVR with optical, as long as you set the Tivo to output Dolby Digital.

With HDMI or component going to the TV you'll have the Tivo sounds, not sure about the AVR. I never use sounds on the Tivo so someone else would have to confirm.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #16
NoVa

Quote:
I use option A but the AVR drives my surround speakers only, there's no need to run the AVR output to the TV. You just mute the TV when you use the AVR for DD 5.1, and leave the AVR off if all you want is TV stereo sound.
Oooh, I forgot that part. I'm so use to the HDMI one cable BS & keep thinking it will solve all my needs. Have to remind myself in this new hookup that I need to separate the TV from the AVR.

Quote:
You'll get DD 5.1 on the AVR with optical, as long as you set the Tivo to output Dolby Digital.

With HDMI or component going to the TV you'll have the Tivo sounds, not sure about the AVR. I never use sounds on the Tivo so someone else would have to confirm.
Thanks again!
Old 07-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #17
swerver

Check if your avr does passthrough (meaning it will still pass the signal to the tv when in standby) - if it does, you don't need to rewire at all.
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #18
NoVa

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Check if your avr does passthrough (meaning it will still pass the signal to the tv when in standby) - if it does, you don't need to rewire at all.
OOOH BOY - will do...very interesting.

I am looking through my Sony STR-DG810 manual right now.
UPDATE
Unfortunately, my AVR doesn't pass through audio when it is in standby. So a Toslink I will go. THanks.

Last edited by NoVa : 07-03-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #19
poppagene
User

Quote:
Actually, with optical going to the AVR you will hear the tivo sound effects as long as you have them enabled, however the hdmi to the tv will not have sound effects when you have selected dolby as your audio choice.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #20
Bigg

Program the TiVo remote to control the AVR and be done with it? It works fine for me, and I always get the better sound quality. Using TV speakers makes NO sense.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #21
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
Actually, with optical going to the AVR you will hear the tivo sound effects as long as you have them enabled, however the hdmi to the tv will not have sound effects when you have selected dolby as your audio choice.
With optical going to the AVR, you only hear the Tivo sounds when you are in the menus or when the audio is already PCM.
If the audio signal is digital, you will not hear the Tivo sounds through the AVR.

I have the setup with HDMI to the TV and ToSlink to the AVR.
When I use the AVR, I leave the volume up on the TV because I like the Tivo sounds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #22
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Yeah don't know what gene's talking about here cuz tivo sounds work fine on tv with hdmi to tv and tivo set to output digital.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:33 AM   #23
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Component has a max of 1080i, but that doesn't matter because so does TV. Only BluRay and some online services like Netflix use 1080p.
Not sure what you point was here but Tivo supports 1080p24 over component connections just fine. The component video interface supports up to 1080p60 but TiVo cannot output that high a frame rate at 1080 resolution. IE there is no downgrade of resolution or frame rate using component connections on the Tivo.

Some BluRay players do not output HD AT ALL on component connections but that is a Digital Rights Management issue, not a technical limitation of the interface.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #24
Dan203
Super Moderator

Just a mistake on my part. I thought component could only do 1080i max. I thought you had to have HDMI for 1080p. Apparently I was wrong.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #25
Bigg

Unfortunately, TiVo's sounds can be heard through HDMI. Luckily, there is an option to disable them so that I don't go insane.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote