TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 1.67 average.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
m_jonis

Can the mini downgrade HD?

If have an older TV (like the old RCA style connections) can you still watch live TV on it with a Mini, provided the Mini is paired from a Tivo Premiere XL 4?

specifically if the live tuner is HD?
m_jonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #2
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_jonis View Post
If have an older TV (like the old RCA style connections) can you still watch live TV on it with a Mini, provided the Mini is paired from a Tivo Premiere XL 4?

specifically if the live tuner is HD?
The picture may not look pretty but with a composite break out cable you will have the ability to run any old TV with the RCA connectors red white and yellow on the back.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:34 AM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yes, but it has a problem with aspect. Unlike a regular TiVo it has no way to tell it the TV is 4:3 so all widescreen stuff is displayed squished instead of letterboxed like it should.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Yes, but it has a problem with aspect. Unlike a regular TiVo it has no way to tell it the TV is 4:3 so all widescreen stuff is displayed squished instead of letterboxed like it should.
That what I meant when I said above The picture may not look pretty

Old 06-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
m_jonis

Thanks everyone! Maybe I'll pick up some cheap-o no-name LCD TV.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

I saw a 32" at Wal-Mart recently for like $150

I bought my Nephew a cheap-o no-name LCD at Wal-Mart like 4 years ago and it still works just fine. I even bought a 3 year warranty, just in case, and never needed it.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
m_jonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I saw a 32" at Wal-Mart recently for like $150

I bought my Nephew a cheap-o no-name LCD at Wal-Mart like 4 years ago and it still works just fine. I even bought a 3 year warranty, just in case, and never needed it.
Thanks Dan. I had an old 23" LCD computer monitor that I could use, but then it doesn't have built-in speakers, so I'd have to use like an amplified set of computer speakers or something.

Coincidentally:

If I wish to route the AUDIO through my Receiver, it appears that the Mini can only use HDMI? I'm assuming the AV output is non-digital so you would only get stereo?

(ie: I see no dolby digital optical/toslink audio output)
Old 06-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

There is no toslink. You have to use HDMI for full 5.1.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
Loach

Quote:
Thanks Dan. I had an old 23" LCD computer monitor that I could use, but then it doesn't have built-in speakers, so I'd have to use like an amplified set of computer speakers or something.

Coincidentally:

If I wish to route the AUDIO through my Receiver, it appears that the Mini can only use HDMI? I'm assuming the AV output is non-digital so you would only get stereo?

(ie: I see no dolby digital optical/toslink audio output)
I get around that by just running HDMI from the Mini to my TV which supports audio pass-through. Then I run TOSLINK audio from my TV to my non-HDMI receiver.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #10
Bigg

Yeah, get a new TV. Why would anyone spend $250 on a TiVo Mini and not put it with an HDTV when an HDTV is cheaper than the Mini?
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #11
moedaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Yeah, get a new TV. Why would anyone spend $250 on a TiVo Mini and not put it with an HDTV when an HDTV is cheaper than the Mini?
The biggest reason would be that the person only has $250 to spend and not $400 - $500. There are still a lot of people with only one HDTV and a SDTV or two that work great.

Personally, I'm with you on connecting HD devices to HDTV's. But there are people out there that can't afford to upgrade everything at once or feel that what they have still works fine.
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #12
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedaman View Post
The biggest reason would be that the person only has $250 to spend and not $400 - $500. There are still a lot of people with only one HDTV and a SDTV or two that work great.

Personally, I'm with you on connecting HD devices to HDTV's. But there are people out there that can't afford to upgrade everything at once or feel that what they have still works fine.
I think we passed the point a couple of years ago where a TV that isn't an HDTV isn't worth having at all.

And if you can't even afford a cheap little TV, why the heck do you have cable?
Old 07-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #13
lessd

Quote:
I think we passed the point a couple of years ago where a TV that isn't an HDTV isn't worth having at all.

I don't think that a fair question to ask anyone, your allocation of money may be much different than someone you don't know. The OP just wants to find out if there is a solution the this problem without the purchase of another TV, the answer is no, we should leave it at that.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #14
moedaman

Quote:

You may have passed that point, but your opinion doesn't hold for everyone. And once again, you show that you feel that your opinion is the only one that matters. Maybe someone doesn't what a cheap tv and wants to save up to purchase a quality set. The fact that someone is asking about a Tivo product shows that they're more interested in buying a premium dvr rather than using the cheap cable providers equipment.
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #15
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I don't think that a fair question to ask anyone, your allocation of money may be much different than someone you don't know. The OP just wants to find out if there is a solution the this problem without the purchase of another TV, the answer is no, we should leave it at that.
It makes absolutely no sense to spend in the neighborhood of $100/mo and $250/TV to add TiVo, and supply an SD signal to your TV. It's simply nonsensical when LCD TVs are available for $150 or even less if you look at used ones. For small TV's, 768p and 720p is plenty enough, as it's hard to tell the difference between that and 1080p on a <20" set in the kitchen, laundry room, exercise, whatever.

The future is here and for those still stuck in the past, well the train left the station about 5 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedaman View Post
You may have passed that point, but your opinion doesn't hold for everyone. And once again, you show that you feel that your opinion is the only one that matters. Maybe someone doesn't what a cheap tv and wants to save up to purchase a quality set. The fact that someone is asking about a Tivo product shows that they're more interested in buying a premium dvr rather than using the cheap cable providers equipment.
And if they're interested in dropping $250 on a TiVo Mini, then a similar cost for a TV shouldn't be a huge concern. I'm even questioning using an older LCD TV with a TiVo Mini, as it seems sort of mismatched to have a TiVo Mini that cost more than the TV, but at least the thing has HDMI (if it works- it may not be HDCP), HD component and something like 768p resolution.

We live in an HD world. The place in the current HD world for legacy equipment is in a recycling center that will properly recycle and reclaim the material from the TV.

EDIT: We live in a smartphone, HD, broadband, Wifi, you get the picture.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:46 AM   #16
lessd

Quote:
It makes absolutely no sense to spend in the neighborhood of $100/mo and $250/TV to add TiVo, and supply an SD signal to your TV. It's simply nonsensical when LCD TVs are available for $150 or even less if you look at used ones. For small TV's, 768p and 720p is plenty enough, as it's hard to tell the difference between that and 1080p on a <20" set in the kitchen, laundry room, exercise, whatever.

The future is here and for those still stuck in the past, well the train left the station about 5 years ago.

And if they're interested in dropping $250 on a TiVo Mini, then a similar cost for a TV shouldn't be a huge concern. I'm even questioning using an older LCD TV with a TiVo Mini, as it seems sort of mismatched to have a TiVo Mini that cost more than the TV, but at least the thing has HDMI (if it works- it may not be HDCP), HD component and something like 768p resolution.

We live in an HD world. The place in the current HD world for legacy equipment is in a recycling center that will properly recycle and reclaim the material from the TV.

EDIT: We live in a smartphone, HD, broadband, Wifi, you get the picture.
You, and I for that matter, may feel that way BUT dropping $250 on a Mini that gives you the full cable service at an old TV is the OP way of wanting things now, everybody does not have to have the newest toys all the time, I have a tube type TV in a guest bedroom, and a TiVo TP without service but having a cable card for the few times a year I have house guests (my cable cards are only $1/month). I can easily afford a new HD TV but see no need for one in that bedroom.
Don't spend other peoples money, my cousin spent about $3000 for a great surround sound system for his HDTV, it was too hard for the wife to operate so he disconnected it and purchased a sound bar, so as I was saying some people find simple better, and don't spend money if they can get away without having the best.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:19 AM   #17
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Have to agree with Bigg here, it's silly IMO to drop $250 on a Mini to drive an old CRT given how cheap low-end LCDs are now. But to each his/her own.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #18
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Have to agree with Bigg here, it's silly IMO to drop $250 on a Mini to drive an old CRT given how cheap low-end LCDs are now. But to each his/her own.
I was just saying that for $250 he gets full cable at this old TV, a start, as nothing prevents him from getting a HDTV in the future, meanwhile you can watch a program on the old TV, not pretty but watchable. I don't know a less costly way to do this (be able to watch the TiVo in that room) and $400 may just be too much for the OP now, or he wants a much better HDTV than a $150 unit so saving up to purchase one is an option.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #19
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
You, and I for that matter, may feel that way BUT dropping $250 on a Mini that gives you the full cable service at an old TV is the OP way of wanting things now, everybody does not have to have the newest toys all the time, I have a tube type TV in a guest bedroom, and a TiVo TP without service but having a cable card for the few times a year I have house guests (my cable cards are only $1/month). I can easily afford a new HD TV but see no need for one in that bedroom.
Don't spend other peoples money, my cousin spent about $3000 for a great surround sound system for his HDTV, it was too hard for the wife to operate so he disconnected it and purchased a sound bar, so as I was saying some people find simple better, and don't spend money if they can get away without having the best.
You don't need TV in every room. If you're going to do it... do it right.

That's so dumb to not be able to pick up a remote and turn the surround sound on. Those things aren't rocket science.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #20
lessd

Quote:
You don't need TV in every room. If you're going to do it... do it right.

That's so dumb to not be able to pick up a remote and turn the surround sound on. Those things aren't rocket science.
OK, my cousin wife is dumb, a dumb 75 year old chick that was a former school teacher, but my poor 78 year old cousin has to live with her.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #21
aaronwt
HD Addict

Isn't this entire argument moot? I thought the Mini outputs a borked picture to an SD set? If that is still the case then there is not much point in connecting the Mini to an SD set.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #22
m_jonis

Wow, what a discussion I started. haha

The main reason I inquired was that, I had an old 19" analog TV in the basement with TW Cable, so it could get channels 2-73 (like 60 odd channels).

I switched to Verizon FIOS, so now I cannot get any because the TV doesn't have a clear QAM tuner. Even then I'd only get channels 2-43.

So I noticed on the back of the mini there were OTHER output types than HDMI. What I wasn't sure of, is if it was using a tuner from another Tivo with say, 720p content, could it "downgrade" to utilize the RCA connections.

Now, whether that's wise or not, wasn't really the point. Although I find it interesting that some people complained why bother if you're gonna spend $250 on the mini to which I reply:

a) I didn't spent $250 on the mini, more like $88.
b) TIVO puts the analog outputs on the mini, so go ask them why they did so (grins).

Anyway, I ended up finding a refurbed 24" for like $130 and just went that route.

Now if only I can get the Mini lights to turn off (including the network lights) because that particular room it's in is VERY dark and it makes it light up like a Christmas tree. Perhaps some black electrical tape.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #23
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Isn't this entire argument moot? I thought the Mini outputs a borked picture to an SD set? If that is still the case then there is not much point in connecting the Mini to an SD set.
You can still watch the picture on a CRT TV but it is distorted, using the Mini break out cable.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #24
Bigg

Quote:
Wow, what a discussion I started. haha

The main reason I inquired was that, I had an old 19" analog TV in the basement with TW Cable, so it could get channels 2-73 (like 60 odd channels).

I switched to Verizon FIOS, so now I cannot get any because the TV doesn't have a clear QAM tuner. Even then I'd only get channels 2-43.

So I noticed on the back of the mini there were OTHER output types than HDMI. What I wasn't sure of, is if it was using a tuner from another Tivo with say, 720p content, could it "downgrade" to utilize the RCA connections.

Now, whether that's wise or not, wasn't really the point. Although I find it interesting that some people complained why bother if you're gonna spend $250 on the mini to which I reply:

a) I didn't spent $250 on the mini, more like $88.
b) TIVO puts the analog outputs on the mini, so go ask them why they did so (grins).

Anyway, I ended up finding a refurbed 24" for like $130 and just went that route.

Now if only I can get the Mini lights to turn off (including the network lights) because that particular room it's in is VERY dark and it makes it light up like a Christmas tree. Perhaps some black electrical tape.
The $88 doesn't include the $150 service. So it would be $238 not $250. Same difference.