TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
stinastina

Switched to Dish, keeping Premiere

Hi, I just switched to Dish after Comcast and I have a premiere. I want to use my premiere to record some great channels that Dish does not have, like MEtv and hd network. If I record all my network programs on my tivo that leaves more room on my hopper for cable recordings.

Anyways, do i need a special antenna to get the ota channels on my premiere ? If yes, I would appreciate any recommendations for least expensive. TIA !
stinastina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
mr_smits

Let me know how you like the Hopper/Joey with Sling. If I ever leave Tivo, I will go to DISH before cutting the cord.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
compnurd

you just need whatever antenna will work for your distance.

go to like antennaweb.org and punch in your address to get antenna ideas
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
P42

www.tvfool.com is also a good resource for OTA info and advice.

WTB: Sprint iPhone5s
P42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
stinastina

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
Let me know how you like the Hopper/Joey with Sling. If I ever leave Tivo, I will go to DISH before cutting the cord.
So far it's a huge learning curve or maybe it's because I am getting older. My husband who is even older, refuses to even try to learn it.

I can tell you right now the search function does not work - I was trying to find some of my season passes by name and nothing happened. Also the whole record 6 shows at once is a falsehood unless you have 6 tvs. We have 3 - 1 hopper and 2 joeys. Each tv can record one show. So let's say I'm recording something, If my kid records something, I can watch the 3rd tv but my kid can only watch what he is recording and my husband will have to watch what I am recording. I'm guessing if you have more tvs, you have more options. Also, you can elect to record all the prime time network (abc, nbc, cbs, etc.) shows but that is a whole other mess because we watch more cable shows than network.

They told me the hopper has slingbox built in but that is meaningless since you can only get blockbuster at home. I think standalone slingboxes get netflix, hulu and amazon like our tivos. My friend who referred me to dish bought the standalone and got rid of her tivo.

I've been with tivo for many many years so I don't plan to get rid of it any time soon. I'm very attached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
you just need whatever antenna will work for your distance.

go to like antennaweb.org and punch in your address to get antenna ideas
Thanks. I forgot about the days when we had antennas on the roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P42 View Post
www.tvfool.com is also a good resource for OTA info and advice.
Thanks, that showed me all the channels in my area.
stinastina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinastina View Post
Also the whole record 6 shows at once is a falsehood unless you have 6 tvs.
I thought that also counted the PrimeTime Anytime where it records the major OTA networks all at once, but uses only one tuner..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
Series3Sub

I have both. TiVo is the OTA workhorse, but big disappointment for OTT. I ended up getting Roku for a far superior OTT experience. A shame TiVo didn't do OTT well.

As far as the Hopper, we upgraded from the ViP 722K/922, and have absolutely NO REGRETS. It is simply the best DVR out there today, with the Genie a close 2nd.

The Hopper also provides for ONE OTA tuner per Hopper and all linked Joeys can access it. The external USB tuner costs $30 and connects to your OTA antenna using F-type connector. So, you can have 4 effective tuners on the one Hopper/Joey system.

Yes, the "6 tuners" is ms-leading, although I see more clear small print regarding that and a "6 shows during Prime Time" qualification on its description of features. During prime time you do have one more tuner available for recordings (and the OTA tuner for the third) than provided with the Genie.

One Hopper system is fine for 2 people or maybe 3, but the nice thing is that you can get TWO Hoppers (DirecTV does NOT provide for 2 Genies). This gives you twice the tuners (operated as separate experiences) and keeps you kids recordings and timers separate from yours. However, the Hopper can access the other Hopper and any Joeys can access the other Hopper (to which it is not paired) for playback of all recordings from either Hopper and all Joeys at all times. Just select the Hopper you want (or external HDD, up to two connected as accessible at all times) from the drop-down list. If you want to mange the timers on the other Hopper, then you either need to link the Joey to that Hopper (an easy, fast process and then you can re-link it to the original Hopper, or link any Joeys to either Hopper at any time to suite you situation), or go to the Hopper to manage those tuners or go on-line and manage. This has NOT been an issue in our household as we DON'T want each others recordings being mingled together as one big huge mess, yet I can access all the other Hoppers recordings, including Prime Time Any Time (PTAT). So, only ONE Hopper is used for PTAT for the whole house, but both Hoppers and all Joeys can access that Hopper to playback PTAT recordings. And the AutoHop is great. It skips commercials automatically.

Picture-in-Picture at the hopper.

As for the search not working, that has to do with the fact that it takes about a day or so to populate all the data, just like TiVo needs that time after install to have its own search function work properly. Just like we have to give TiVo some time after the install, so we do the same with the Hopper.

Further, 2TB HDD (1TB for user partition, but with superior MPEG4, this provides more HD content than TiVo with 2TB OTA using MPEG2 or if cable still using MPEG2), easily the best EPG with channel logos, best external HDD solution, best upgrade paths, and easy to use. Downloads experience via net be it TV networks or BlockBuster are good with good broadband connection. Yes, those with 1.5Mbs have complaints.

TiVo is currently the best OTA solution compared to alternatives. TiVo can even price out better than the Channel Master that is pretty expensive and pretty inferior to any TiVo.

If one has to move to satellite, Dish Hopper is really an excellent, superior solution to the competition. The Hopper w/Sling did, in fact, win CNET's Best of Show, but CBS forced CNET to not award it to Dish. Later, the CEA officially named Dish Hopper w/Sling as the co-winner with the really 2nd place winner. CEA has now terminated CNET from its involvement with CEA's awards. It was that good. Also, Engadget like it more than the Genie, which was its #1 until they put the Hopper w/Sling in that place. ZatsNotFunny is also praising Hopper as among the best out there.

Finally, I have found that in general, TiVo and Hopper really can have about the same number of "negative" experiences as far as users not really knowing the product, or those statistical failures that occur for any DVR that uses an internal HDD. For every "I've had it with the Hopper" rant, there is an equal number of "I've had it with TiVo" rant. DVR's are finicky beast.

I think we have the best of both worlds with TiVo and Dish Hopper/Joey.

Last edited by Series3Sub : 02-25-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #8
abqdan

The main issue with any antenna is line of sight. There are a number of threads that mention the Tivo tuner isn't as sensitive as many TVs, so it doesn't seem to pull in as many channels. It will depend a lot on how powerful the signal is in your area. A roof antenna will be best, but some work OK in an attic. I am lucky enough to have a clear line of sight to the mountain where the main transmitters sit. I bought a cheap rooftop model ($35) and it brings in all 43 local stations loud and clear. Because there is no compression with an HD signal OTA, you get a better picture than so-called HD on a cable box. Very different from the old analog OTA transmissions.

I highly recommend a Roku or WD HDTV box to pull in Hulu and Netflix to complete your programming. Tivo isn't able to deliver a good experience on these Internet channels - it sucks at that, so I gave up trying to use their built-in apps for Hulu and Netflix. The Tivo does one job well - that of a DVR. Stick with that, and don't expect anything else, and you'll be fine.
abqdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #9
atmuscarella

My understand of Satellite is that each transponder contains enough band width for several channels and normally your satellite STB tuner "tunes" the whole transponder and then displays the channel on that transponder that was requested.

What dishnetwork has done is group your ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox channels onto one transponder and instead of breaking the channels apart is recording the whole stream which only requires one tuner and then breaks them out when you play back the recording. So with 3 tuners they are able to record up to 6 shows if 4 of them are on ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox.

It is technically possible with satellite STBs for one tuner to be recording one channel on a transponder while allowing you to view different channel on that same transponder live. I have seen this done in the past but have no idea if Dish allows this on their current DVRs.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 02-26-2013 at 08:48 AM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #10
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
It is technically possible with satellite STBs for one tuner to be recording one channel on a transponder while allowing you to view different channel on that same transponder live. I have seen this done in the past but have no idea if Dish allows this on their current DVRs.
Where have you seen that done in the past? That seems to me it would need special hardware and/or software support? (The primetime anytime stuff IS special support, since AFAIK, they only let you do it during prime time.)

I think it's a neat trick, and even though I have cable, the majority of what I watch is broadcast networks.. I would consider changing to Dish (largely for this feature, though since I watch shows in a batch, I would 'save them off' from the primetime anytime), if I could also then download to an offline hard drive… I want to do this to expand space AND to lessen the "loss" when a hard drive goes bad (which I have had happen).
Old 02-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #11
celtic pride

I am also curios about the HOPPER and joey from DISH I wish i could walk into a store to see it in action! unbelievable my Brother has dish and 2 hdtvs yet refuses to upgrade his standard box for the HD hopper.This is just beyond my belief as i have had and used HD since around 2005!I really had hoped he would of jumped on the HD bandwagon by now so i could see how the hopper works in person rather than on you tube!!
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:49 AM   #12
Series3Sub

atmuscarella, you are correct. A software download from a few months ago goes a bit further than PTAT: Now, outside of prime-time, if one Hopper or Joey is tuned to a local big broadcast net (ABC, CBS, NBC, or FOX station) any of the other Joeys or the Hopper can also tune to one of the big nets and use the same tuner, so the remaining tuners are still up for grabs to use by others. So, a single tuner being used by a number of people on the household to watch any of the local big nets at the same time outside of Prime-time.

mattack, Sat uses spot beams for its Local into Local service. Those spot beams were designed primarily for locals (I think Dish uses some spot beams for some Alaska/Hawaii subscribers for regular packages), so that they could re-use the frequency many times over throughout the country and have no interference issues. So, it is more efficient to put all the LiL's on the same spot beam since other parts of the country are not permitted access to locals outside of their own DMA (some exceptions to this). This has been done for years by both DirecTV and Dish.

All Dish did was think with innovation and design the PTAT software to use what was already being uplinked to spot beams for YEARS! DirecTV uses the same spot beam technology and practices and could do their own proprietary version of Dish's PTAT with no changes to what is being up-linked today. It's all about the software.

The reason this is NOT likely to be expanded beyond local broadcast nets is that due to the efficiencies of the spot beam, those broadcast nets will ALWAYS be sharing the same transponders. It is not an efficeint use of limited bandwidth to uplink a local station on a ConUS beam that would shower the entire country. However, other channels such as USA, MTV, etc., all non-local big net broadcasters, will not always share the same transponder because Dish does move them around from time to time so that PQ is as good as it can be by using the statistical multiplexing, or being certain to not have too many bandwidth demanding channels on the same transponder and over time content can change on a channel and it makes sense to move the channels to different transponders or even different satellites for greatest efficiency with best possible PQ. Talking head interview channels are great to up-link along fast data demanding sports network on the same transponder. One channels would need more bandwidth than average while the other needs less bandwidth on average.

The PTAT can be used outside of Prime-Time, there is no technical limitation to this, and Dish has even implemented a live viewing of local nets off the same tuner for everyone in the house who tunes to that same transponder as explained above. No further hardware nor "support" needed. However, Prime-Time is an excellent example of a block of time when the content is all highly rated and highly desirable and in demand from all members of the household. Outside of that time, the content is too varied and not necessarily in the same hours per channel. Prime time is the best place to offer the service, but many Dish subs would like to see the PTAT model expanded to stuff like "Late Night talk shows or evening or 11PM newscasts. Some even want the "cable" channels to be offered as a version of PTAT, but as explained above, that one is NOT likely to happen. But then again, who knows?

Last edited by Series3Sub : 03-01-2013 at 02:56 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:02 AM   #13
Series3Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Where have you seen that done in the past? That seems to me it would need special hardware and/or software support? (The primetime anytime stuff IS special support, since AFAIK, they only let you do it during prime time.)

I think it's a neat trick, and even though I have cable, the majority of what I watch is broadcast networks.. I would consider changing to Dish (largely for this feature, though since I watch shows in a batch, I would 'save them off' from the primetime anytime), if I could also then download to an offline hard drive… I want to do this to expand space AND to lessen the "loss" when a hard drive goes bad (which I have had happen).
You can even select to automatically always save to your Recordings List. Even if one makes a standard timer along with PTAT enabled, it will still use the PTAT to record that show, but then automatically place it in your Recordings List. Very easy to use and set-up.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #14
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Series3Sub View Post
You can even select to automatically always save to your Recordings List. Even if one makes a standard timer along with PTAT enabled, it will still use the PTAT to record that show, but then automatically place it in your Recordings List. Very easy to use and set-up.
That must be new? I sure think when I read various reviews of PTA, it didn't work like this.

Can you confirm whether it WILL save padding (e.g. a minute added to the front and end of a show) in this "save from PTA automatically" mode? So of course, if you do this with two shows that are back to back, you would end up duplicating two minutes in two separate shows.

One of the Engadget HD guys said it was _supposed_ to work this way, but didn't.. this was back when the feature first came out though.

If it *doesn't* save padding automatically, this would make PTA much less useful to me, since I watch a lot of shows that NEED padding.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #15
Series3Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
That must be new? I sure think when I read various reviews of PTA, it didn't work like this.

Can you confirm whether it WILL save padding (e.g. a minute added to the front and end of a show) in this "save from PTA automatically" mode? So of course, if you do this with two shows that are back to back, you would end up duplicating two minutes in two separate shows.

One of the Engadget HD guys said it was _supposed_ to work this way, but didn't.. this was back when the feature first came out though.

If it *doesn't* save padding automatically, this would make PTA much less useful to me, since I watch a lot of shows that NEED padding.
It has worked that way from DAY ONE of public release. IF you ENABLE PTAT, and you happen to create a "standard" timer for a show on one of the broadcast nets airing during Prime-Time, they system will automatically use the PTAT--NOT an additional tuner--to then save that program to your "My Recordings" list.

Interesting how many "skeptical" posters don't know their TiVo's nor, in this case, their Hopper. Agreed, that Hopper is far more sophisticated and has more options and features than TiVo, so a lot of people don't know what is there, and it can be somewhat overwhelming to know what Power Users know, and that is really that fault of Dish. Dish have never been good at communicating the very many things their boxes can do. They've added some new functionality to the Hopper just days ago via software download, but they never tell subs about it unless one scours the forums. TiVo has always been better letting subs know about all current and new features.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #16
Rose4uKY

Finally a thread comparing Tivo and Dish. I have been a Tivo owner since my 1st single tuner SD Tivo. Currently I have 2 Series 3 HD Tivo's and my boyfriend has one plus he has Roku.. I use Tivo for Netflix right now. Were moving in together and and we have heard so much about Hopper with Sling and Joey's that were having someone from tis Dish company here in town go check out the balcony of our new place and see if we can get signal. Were also worried about losing signal when it storms.

Yesterday I called Tivo to see what was new and what they had to offer. I never heard of the Tivo minis or the mocha but knew about the Premiere. Mocha is free right now with Tivo Premiere which normally cost 50 bucks. Now I was estimating selling 2 of our Tivo's at a 100 a piece and the one I have that's lifetime for 200.. With Tivo of course we'd have to buy the Tivo and the minis. Dish will give us the Hopper and 2 Joeys and we just pay a monthly fee but we sign a 2 year agreement.

So my question is what do you recommend we do and I know we love our Tivo's and our used to them but we are also eager to try Dish and the Hopper and Joeys. We will have one Hopper and 2 Joey's 3 TV's total. We both probably record a couple things a piece nightly mostly primetime local channels but not always he does a lot of Fox News shows and wants The Blaze channel for Glenn Beck which is on Dish. That is why he bought a Roku was for the Blaze. I do a soap opera during the day and a lot of primetime local channel shows but some others. Is Dish and Hopper that great. Is it easy to use will I get used it. I am so familiar with my Tivo's now but my main consideration of Dish and Hopper is you don't pay for the equipment like Tivo. And If I sell my Tivo's now I could use the money to buy new Tivo and Minis but with moving out there are more important things we need right now. Plus our cable company switched over to Time Warner and were not to happy with them. So we need to make a decision in the next few weeks that is when we move.

Sorry for the long post and I know this thread is a few months old. Just trying to see if Hopper and Dish is just as good or better than doing Tivo Premiere with Minis. Thanks!

Just got our Roamio Plus today and am able to return our 3 1/2 week old 2TB Premiere. Still have my Series 3 with LT and not using my other 2 x series 3 trying to sell them. 10 Year Customer.
Rose4uKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:49 AM   #17
Series3Sub

Well, it really depends upon what is important to each. No question that TiVo's model is too expensive for the masses, and the cable and sat companies providing equipment for no money up front is TiVo's biggest challenge. If I ever (I hope I never have to) have to go back to cable, at least I can attempt to use my TiVo's as all the cable co. DVR's (I've not used the latest and greatest of them such as Xfinity) are all easily inferior to TiVo. But as much as people I have talked to would LOVE a TiVo as their cable DVR, the moment the learn of the upfront cost and additional monthly fee, they say, "Forget it." People are going to take what they can afford or find the better bargain, even it the cable DVR is inferior, they can't justify the expense to get a TiVo.

To be fair to TiVo, it get its revenue from the sale of the box, the monthly subscription, the advertising on the interface, and the data it sells that is collected from your use of the TiVo (and lawsuits? ). The MVPD's get their money back from giving you the equipment from your monthly subscription to their video packages. It is extremely hard for TiVo to compete with that.

If you are comfortable leaving the MSO (cable company) universe, then the Hopper from Dish really is the best DVR out there today. However, consider getting the Hopper with Sling (sometimes referred to as Hopper 2.0) because of two additional features: the ability to watch live TV or any of your recorded shows at a remote location using a PC, laptop, or your mobile device; and the ability to move your recorded shows to you iOS Apple mobile device such as iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc. for viewing directly from the mobile device without an internet connection. Both Hopper 1.0 and 2.0 would be free to a new subscriber.

One thing to keep in mind is if ONE Hopper is enough for your household. With 3 sat tuners (and one optional OTA tuner) if three people are watching live TV at the same time, a fourth viewer could either JOIN what one of the other 3 are watching or watch a per-recorded program on the DVR but not watch a different channel. If you record a lot or have more people who watch TV at about the same times, then you really should consider a 2nd Hopper for a nominal upgrade. This would prevent clashes among family members and everyone is happy to record what they want. The Picture-in-Picture is available at the Hopper only, not the Joey.

Prime Time Anytime could be enabled on just ONE of the Hoppers, but everyone, even from the other Hopper or its paired Joey can access that other Hopper and playback the PTAT content. It would be inefficient and a waste to have both Hoppers do PTAT recording.

What's really sad is that the DirecTV TiVo is based on the Series 3 platform and lacks the Series 4 HD UI, and, of course, lacks a number of the features found on retail TiVo's. DirecTV would have been a much more compelling alternative to those who want to leave cable, but still want the TiVo they love. That was DirecTV's fault, NOT TiVo's.

You can search YouTube to see videos of the Hopper interface (the best and with channel logos and super fast response) and menus and some features demonstrated to see if it is for you. It is an excellent whole home DVR. Also, Dish's external HDD is an archival type. Meaning that you can transfer your recordings to an unlimited number of HDD's with as many as 2 of them connected to the Hopper at one time for playback or transfer. The Joeys can also play back content from the external HDD even though the external HDD is connected to the Hopper.

Dish's search among the guide and Blockbuster content isn't as robust as TiVo's, who have always excelled on the SEARCH technology, and you may find Dish's somewhat disappointing, but it gets the job done. I do like TiVo's options to "explore" the show and to search the OTT services such as Netflix, Amazon, etc.

Finally, the Hopper has no access to OTT services such as Netflix, Amazon, Hulu Plus, etc., so if you still want those options, they you need to get a separate device such as a Roku. However, TiVo's implementation of the OTT services is so bad that I and quite a number of TiVo owners use a Roku or other device, anyway.

I hope you choose what is best for you. If you switch, you could switch back later. You can use your TiVo's for OTA if you wish or turn them into cash on eBay.

Good luck.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #18
Rose4uKY

Wow! Thanks so much for responding.. I am actually waiting for a Dish Tech to go out to my new place and let me know if we can even get a signal. I have a friend in Chicago who said yes hers goes out from time to time due to weather but just for a few seconds or so and that you can still watch your recorded shows so it's not bad. But I'm guessing if it's during a recording that may be bad..

I have pros and cons and yes with Tivo we would have to buy a premiere and 2 minis but now that I read 2 mini's use up 2 tuners so technically we would only have 2 for recording I don't really like that. Hopper just told me on the phone there's has 6 tuners and the Joey's don't use up any tuners. They also said depending on credit but usually the Hopper and Joey's are free you just pay the monthly fee 12.99 and 6.99 for each Joey which we like that idea. Plus my boyfriend does have a Roku he got it to watch this Channel the blaze with Glenn Beck which is actually a Dish Channel so we will still be able to do out Netflix like we do now with the Tivo.

I do hate that we have to sign a 2 year contract but if we get signal and free equipment I am leaning towards Dish. It's just me and my boyfriend so we would just need one Hopper with Sling we want and then 2 Joey's. We have 3 TV's. We have Android devices 2 tablets and Android phones no Iphones or Ipad but there is a dish app for Android we saw. Plus with Dish they will come set everything up we don't have to worry about hooking up Tivo's and minis which he could do. And yes were planning on selling the other boxes on Craigs List probably 2 for 100 a piece and the one with the lifetime for 200...

Thanks for your reply and I am about 80% sure if we can get a signal we will go with Dish. And I love Tivo have been a fan since the 1st single tuner SD Tivo before I had a HD TV. Never used my cable companies DVR ever. But Hopper with Sling and Joey's sound great. Thanks Again!

Quote:
Well, it really depends upon what is

I hope you choose what is best for you. If you switch, you could switch back later. You can use your TiVo's for OTA if you wish or turn them into cash on eBay.

Good luck.

Just got our Roamio Plus today and am able to return our 3 1/2 week old 2TB Premiere. Still have my Series 3 with LT and not using my other 2 x series 3 trying to sell them. 10 Year Customer.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #19
Richard Cranium

Quote:
One Hopper system is fine for 2 people or maybe 3, but the nice thing is that you can get TWO Hoppers (DirecTV does NOT provide for 2 Genies).
I have 2 Genies. 10 tuners and 2 TB of storage, whole home, etc.

You just need to ask the right people the right way.
Richard Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #20
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium View Post
I have 2 Genies. 10 tuners and 2 TB of storage, whole home, etc.

You just need to ask the right people the right way.
I think it is beyond asking the right away... Two Genies on one account is a big no no with them
Old 07-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #21
Richard Cranium

Quote:
I think it is beyond asking the right away... Two Genies on one account is a big no no with them
You're not going to tell on me are you?
Old 07-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #22
Bigg

Yeah, DISH's system is just too limited. 4 tuners total would be my MINIMUM. With DISH, you basically have two, as one is only for the networks. With DirecTV, you can have 5 on the main box, and you can have another 2-tuner DVR on top of that before you max out a SWiMLine setup (although as noted above, with the right multiswitch configuration, and somewhat deep pockets, you can have some pretty insane hardware).
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #23
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Yeah, DISH's system is just too limited. 4 tuners total would be my MINIMUM. With DISH, you basically have two, as one is only for the networks. With DirecTV, you can have 5 on the main box, and you can have another 2-tuner DVR on top of that before you max out a SWiMLine setup (although as noted above, with the right multiswitch configuration, and somewhat deep pockets, you can have some pretty insane hardware).
Direct TV will install up to 16 Tuners with easy hardware... going above that gets interesting
Old 07-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #24
Rose4uKY

Dish told me there Hopper can record 6 shows and using the Joey's doesn't take away a tuner like the mini's have to be connected to a tuner and then if I had two mini's I would only have 2 tuners.. With the equipment being free I think we may just switch to Dish but my boyfriend is really concerned about 2 things one the weather and how often you lose signal and that we have to sign a 2 year contract... We have a couple more weeks to decide and Monday I call this guy back who's been on vacation and see if he sent someone out to my new place to see if we can even get a signal. My boyfriend also said we don't have to make a decision right away we can keep the Tivo Series 3 we have now were paying 9.95 6.95 and one is on lifetime so will see..

Quote:
Direct TV will install up to 16 Tuners with easy hardware... going above that gets interesting

Last edited by Rose4uKY : 07-04-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #25
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose4uKY View Post
Dish told me there Hopper can record 6 shows ...
This is only true during prime time and if 4 of them are on the major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox). The way this works is that Dish is sending all those networks through one transponder stream normally the tuner will break the channel out you want from the stream, instead Dish is recording the whole stream and breaking the channel out after the fact. Otherwise the Hopper is a 3 tuner DVR.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #26
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose4uKY View Post
Dish told me there Hopper can record 6 shows and using the Joey's doesn't take away a tuner like the mini's have to be connected to a tuner and then if I had two mini's I would only have 2 tuners.. With the equipment being free I think we may just switch to Dish but my boyfriend is really concerned about 2 things one the weather and how often you lose signal and that we have to sign a 2 year contract... We have a couple more weeks to decide and Monday I call this guy back who's been on vacation and see if he sent someone out to my new place to see if we can even get a signal. My boyfriend also said we don't have to make a decision right away we can keep the Tivo Series 3 we have now were paying 9.95 6.95 and one is on lifetime so will see..
I'm not a 100% sure but I think Dish and DirecTV point there dishes in opposite directions.

I'm probably wrong and I'm sure someone will point it out, but if you can't get a "sight line" on one you should be able to get one on the other.

You won't be disappointed with the Genie if you choose to go with DirecTV.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #27
compnurd

Direct TV points SW and i want to say Dish is more SE
Old 07-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #28
Series3Sub

To be clear, Stinastina, as was pointed out by another poster, the only time you can record up to 6 channels via satellite is IF you have enabled Prim Time Anytime feature and ONLY during those prime time hours or set your own timers for all 4 big nets during Prime Time. 4 of those channels must be the big four nets. The rest of the time it is only 3 satellite tuners available for viewing and recording, and those 3 tuners are shared among the Hopper and all Joeys. However, multiple users may view or records any of the local channels via satellite using only ONE tuner, even outside of PTAT. So, in those situations you would still have 2 satellite tuners. For just you and boyfriend, one Hopper could work out well. It sounds like you may have spoken with an CSR NOT in the USA. They never get it right. The Hopper has only THREE satellite tuners and ONE optional OTA tuner, and the Joeys, contrary to what the CSR told you, do indeed use the Hopper's tuners. So if you watch live TV from a Joey, it uses one of the Hopper's tuners, and that leaves one LESS tuner. However, you can watch a DVR recording from either the Hopper or Joey if there are not tuners available for live TV viewing because of other viewing live TV or the tuners currently recording.

You may want to consider purchasing the Over The Air (OTA) module for $30 so that you can view and record your local channels using an antenna to receive your local stations. While your locals may be provided via satellite, the optional OTA tuners allows for some increased flexibility, and extra tuner available for OTA, and also allows you to view and record using the Hopper some of the most popular channels offered via local broadcasts on "sub-channel" such as MeTV, Antenna TV, This TV, and COZI TV. The coax from your rabbit ears or OTA antenna connects to the module, and then connect the USB plug into the port on the Hopper. Just know what you are getting.

Last edited by Series3Sub : 07-05-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #29
Series3Sub

Quote:
Direct TV points SW and i want to say Dish is more SE
It depends upon which arc you will have the Dish reflector pointed. For the Dish Western Arc, Dish and Direct point in the same general SW direction. However, the Dish Eastern Arc looks at 77; 72.7; and 61.5, a more SE direction.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #30
Rose4uKY

I just want to thank everyone for responding we really were unsure which route go and we keep changing our mind.. My boyfriend doesn't really want to have to sign a 2 year contract with Dish in case we don't like it and he's still concerned about signal going out with the weather.. My friend actually said she loves AT&T Uverse but it's only there internet is available where were moving not there TV service..

But anyway after reading about the Tivo mini's now my boyfriend wants to sell our Serie's 3 Tivo's and try the Premiere and the mini's. I've had Tivo for ever and got him to switch from his cables DVR and he loves it too. He does have a Roku for his Blaze Channel which Dish has but he will use the Roku for that like he does now. I want the Premiere XL4 with 300 HD hours and it comes with the glo remote. We keep changing our minds but I think were used to Tivo and I told my boyfriend as long as we have something I don't care if it's Tivo or Dish I just want to record and watch from another room without transferring like I do now I want it to be instant. We hardly ever are watching live TV it will be all recordings from the Premiere and Mini's most of the time..

Thank Everyone for responding I appreciate it. Now Tivo offered my a factory renewed Premiere for 324.99 with a free Mocha adapter or a brand new box for 349.99 without Mocha. My boyfriend said where are TV is going and cable is we may not need the Mocha but it would be nice to have. Has anyone ever bought a factory renewed Tivo? Do I get that with free mocha or pay 25 more for new box no Mocha. He did say he may be able to check with his supervisor and still get me a free Mocha with the new box for 349.99 but he said don't count on it but I can try. So will see but for now I guess were sticking with Tivo. Thanks Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium View Post
I'm not a 100% sure but I think Dish and DirecTV point there dishes in opposite directions.

I'm probably wrong and I'm sure someone will point it out, but if you can't get a "sight line" on one you should be able to get one on the other.

You won't be disappointed with the Genie if you choose to go with DirecTV.