TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

Under The Dome - S01E02 - 7/1/2013

I still found it entertaining. I was quite surprised that they showed Barbie killing that guy in this episode. I figured that would have been dragged out for a long time and in the end, it would have been where the guy died but he was trying to help him or something like that.

Smart to buy up the cigarettes. They will be really valuable at some point.

I like the high school kid who's doing the science and math to figure out what they are working with. With the moisture getting through the dome, it seems like they shouldn't have to worry that it is air-tight and they likely won't run out of air.

Still wonder what could possibly be up with all the propane that the politician and minister are trying so hard to keep secret.

Disappointed that Duke the police chief died. I like that actor and thought he was doing a good job playing that character.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancnDude View Post
Still wonder what could possibly be up with all the propane that the politician and minister are trying so hard to keep secret.
I thought that they had made it clear that they were manufacturing drugs or did I miss something?

For those that were concerned, they did show that the dome goes down as well, but it does seem silly that the teenagers were the only ones they showed attempting to dig under it.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

still watching

still, I wonder how this show works as a series. If they get out of the dome or destroy the dome or something, is there a show anymore?

yes, I know it's a book and the book has an ending. I really am not participating in these threads because I think it's too hard to dodge and weave through all the book vs. show talk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

I haven't read the book but if Prison Break can have a show after they break out of prison, Under the Dome can too But I'd imagine it would turn into fighting against who or whatever put dome there. Or maybe more domes start popping up and they'd be trying to help them as well. Just ideas.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
still watching

still, I wonder how this show works as a series. If they get out of the dome or destroy the dome or something, is there a show anymore?
My understanding is,
Spoiler:
it's still a finite series, but they've reworked the book's premise so it will take a number of seasons to tell.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
My understanding is,
Spoiler:
it's still a finite series, but they've reworked the book's premise so it will take a number of seasons to tell.
Wait, so this isn't a mini-series? I thought it was all going to be wrapped up this summer. I might be out if this is going to go on and on and end up dying with no closure.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

I enjoyed the second episode far more than the first. I think I was able to seperate the book from the show more as I already knew going into this episode that things were different. It was just jarring to me in the first episode.

I noticed that they covered several of the talking points of the last thread with people trying to dig and the smoke from the fire trapped in the dome.

It seems strange to me that the water mist can get through the dome but sound does not.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
Gerryex

Its OK, and I'll still keep watching it but the one plot line that I think is terrible is the one with crazy Jr and the girl. The problem with this plot line is that IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DOME! Yeah, crazy Jr claims that the girl changed once the dome went down, but he could have used any excuse to keep her locked up. And yes he thinks Barbie was fooling around with the girl and Barbie is in town because he got trapped under the dome. But again, crazy Jr could have blamed it on any random guy who happened to be in town.

So every time this plot line comes up I start skipping through most of it. But other than that most of the rest is watchable, but certainly not "must-see" TV!!

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
cheesesteak
Meh.

After this episode, crazy teen boy scenes get ffwd'd through from now on. Girlfriend needs to find something sharp and stab him with it fifty times the next time he visits her.

I like nerdy teen and his sidekick.

Did Barbie sleep in the nude at reporter woman's house?

Paranoid cop got tedious really fast. Hopefully he disappears from the plot now but he probably won't since there's only one cop left.

Why do tv characters always trash the place when they're looking for something? If it were me, I'd leave everything as close to how I found it. That way nobody'd look to see what was missing. I guess burning the house down works as well.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #10
markp99
TakoKichi

I'm not sure I'm in for the long haul on this program; has not caught me yet. I'll give it a couple more weeks.
markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #11
Gerryex

The lady who I think runs the diner. She sounds familiar but I can't place her and I could not find her character in IMDb. Does anyone know who she is?

Thanks,
Gerry
Old 07-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #12
CorgiMom28
In search of a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post
The lady who I think runs the diner. She sounds familiar but I can't place her and I could not find her character in IMDb. Does anyone know who she is?

Thanks,
Gerry
Wasn't she on that Sabrina Witch show a while back?
Old 07-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #13
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorgiMom28 View Post
Her name is Beth Broderick.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0110803/
Old 07-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #14
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:

Disappointed that Duke the police chief died. I like that actor and thought he was doing a good job playing that character.
I guess he's not going to Guam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchBrake View Post
Wait, so this isn't a mini-series? I thought it was all going to be wrapped up this summer. I might be out if this is going to go on and on and end up dying with no closure.
I thought that I read that one episode = one day under the dome.

So if the show runs a few years, that's only a couple of months "under the dome".
Since they don't have any cute kids as main characters, they don't have the issue of child rapid aging syndrome.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #15
xuxa

The episode took a nose dive on a decent premise. The Jr and girl prisoner story is ridiculous and silly , especially when he goes after Barbie. The news lady is getting annoying. The only story line of any interest is the teenager and him trying to figure out the dome etc.

The fact they could write messages to the people outside the dome folks is lost. As far as the OTD folks not speaking to them is a silly contrivance to help the plot or my bet is the people OTD can't see inside. If that is the case what a coincidence the police officer and the fireman fiance had in the pilot when their hands met.
xuxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #16
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
I haven't read the book but if Prison Break can have a show after they break out of prison, Under the Dome can too
there are a lot of times i haven't read the book before watching the series/movie, but i never quite understood why folks continue to compare them - they're such different mediums and approaches to storytelling, why would anyone expect the two to be similar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
I'm not sure I'm in for the long haul on this program; has not caught me yet. I'll give it a couple more weeks.
same here, i'm still on the fence, hope it picks up soon.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #17
andyw715

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuxa View Post
The fact they could write messages to the people outside the dome folks is lost. As far as the OTD folks not speaking to them is a silly contrivance to help the plot or my bet is the people OTD can't see inside. If that is the case what a coincidence the police officer and the fireman fiance had in the pilot when their hands met.
Could be, maybe it became more opaque after it slammed down? Otherwise vehicles OTD would have seen it and not run into it.
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #18
SoBelle0
What's next?

The only ones to ignore them from OTD have been military (in appearance), right?

The firetruck saw them. The semi obviously saw nothing. Cows, eh? Who knows what they're thinking.
SoBelle0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #19
TonyD79

Quote:
The episode took a nose dive on a decent premise. The Jr and girl prisoner story is ridiculous and silly , especially when he goes after Barbie. The news lady is getting annoying. The only story line of any interest is the teenager and him trying to figure out the dome etc.
The dumbest part is the girl. Nutso boy tells her he is holding her until she acts like his girlfriend again and she immediately tells him she never loved him and will never be his girlfriend. Jeez. Just act nice and get the hell out, dummy.

Quote:
"We" have seen through the dome, so I doubt it. Plus, didn't they react to the exploding pacemaker?

There are several things in this that drive me crazy:

- Based upon on non-mishap, not-Lupo "knows" that non-battery devices are safe? Yet they start treating the dome like it blows up everything, including farm equipment? Guys, there have been several devices near the dome. Cell phones, walkie-talkies, cars. None of them blew up.

- The idiot town people are squandering resources left and right. Full power for the bar. Driving cars just to drive cars. The whole dome is about 10 miles wide and yet they are driving everywhere. And the radio station is playing music 24/7? Just burn up all that gas. In *any* emergency in the real world, people conserve.

- Sun light and water get through the dome but nothing else? Almost. The radio engineer stuff is quite nonsense.

- Digging has been dismissed even though no one has gone to any depth at all.

This show is poorly constructed, poorly acted and not thought out at all. But it is fun to watch for some reason. Maybe because it is bad.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #20
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
The dumbest part is the girl. Nutso boy tells her he is holding her until she acts like his girlfriend again and she immediately tells him she never loved him and will never be his girlfriend. Jeez. Just act nice and get the hell out, dummy.
To be fair, his message wasn't that coherent...he also made it clear that he knew she wasn't going "back to normal" until the Dome was gone.

I'm impressed that a chain that thick can be wrapped so finely around her ankle that she can't slide out. She must have REALLY big feet!
Old 07-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #21
xuxa

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw715 View Post
Could be, maybe it became more opaque after it slammed down? Otherwise vehicles OTD would have seen it and not run into it.
True, just trying to give the writers an excuse for having the OTD people not treating the dome people like they don't exist.

Plus I need to find a generator that is as quiet as the one the turned on at the bar, that was awesome.

On second thought, the only OTD vehicle we saw hit it was the truck and the driver might have not been paying attention ( don't text and drive!) and not expect a wall in the middle of the road and hit it. The firefighters while appearing to react to the police officer in the road might have just been reacting to a a wall blocking the road and stopping.

Last edited by xuxa : 07-02-2013 at 03:52 PM.
xuxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #22
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
I thought that they had made it clear that they were manufacturing drugs or did I miss something?

For those that were concerned, they did show that the dome goes down as well, but it does seem silly that the teenagers were the only ones they showed attempting to dig under it.
The Dome "does not come down".

It appears simultaneously, EVERYWHERE. It's the only thing that makes logical sense.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #23
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules67 View Post
The Dome "does not come down".

It appears simultaneously, EVERYWHERE. It's the only thing that makes logical sense.
What I meant by it going down is that it is underground as well. You can't dig underneath it. So it's probably more like a sphere than it is a dome.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #24
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Its OK, and I'll still keep watching it but the one plot line that I think is terrible is the one with crazy Jr and the girl. The problem with this plot line is that IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DOME! Yeah, crazy Jr claims that the girl changed once the dome went down, but he could have used any excuse to keep her locked up. And yes he thinks Barbie was fooling around with the girl and Barbie is in town because he got trapped under the dome. But again, crazy Jr could have blamed it on any random guy who happened to be in town.

So every time this plot line comes up I start skipping through most of it. But other than that most of the rest is watchable, but certainly not "must-see" TV!!

Gerry
I thought the story wasn't about the Dome or how it got there? But that it is about the interactions of the people trapped inside the Dome?

Anyway I enjoyed the second epsiode. Although I would have preferred that they not have killed off the Lawn Mower Man.

It seems like this show is getting good ratings. I see it had a 2.9 rating yesterday with 11.8 million viewers. Easily the top show of the night. And the first epsiode was the top show the previous week.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 07-02-2013 at 04:29 PM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #25
Gerryex

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorgiMom28 View Post
Quote:
Her name is Beth Broderick.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0110803/
Ah yes! That's who she is. She played one of Sabrina's Aunts. I knew I remembered her voice but she looks a little different.

The IMDb is not very consistent. Her character does not show up at all in the full cast list yet on the link above for the actress it does show her character on the Dome!

Gerry
Old 07-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #26
Gerryex

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
I thought exactly the same thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I thought the story wasn't about the Dome or how it got there? But that it is about the interactions of the people trapped inside the Dome?
Agreed. But the interactions of the people would have depended on the Dome and all the problems it will cause. In the case of crazy Jr and the girl there is nothing specific to the dome that's needed for that interaction to happen. They could easily eliminate that plot line and it would have no effect on the show!

Gerry
Old 07-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #27
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I thought exactly the same thing!

Agreed. But the interactions of the people would have depended on the Dome and all the problems it will cause. In the case of crazy Jr and the girl there is nothing specific to the dome that's needed for that interaction to happen. They could easily eliminate that plot line and it would have no effect on the show!

Gerry
Jr would have commited suicide if the Dome hadn't occured. He was just getting ready to kill himself when the Dome appeared and he changed his mind..
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #28
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
What I meant by it going down is that it is underground as well. You can't dig underneath it. So it's probably more like a sphere than it is a dome.
On that we agree. It's just that the part that they do see above them, makes them think it's a DOME.

Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #29
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

will they have story lines originating outside the dome? I.e. will we get introduced to military, government, or scientists investigating and trying to figure out what it is?

jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #30
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

I was pretty underwhelmed by this ep. I liked the premiere, but this one was meh.

Oh well, I'll probably keep watching. Not like there is anything else on.