TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
Gerryex

True Blood - "You're No Good" 6/30 SPOILERS

What, no thread yet? In fact there was no thread for the last episode. Isn't there anyone still watching this? I know there have been some posts that think TB isn't as good as it was in the beginning, but I think its even better! Also, some posts were complaining about all the different kinds of supernatural people and preferred only having vampires. But again I differ - certainly if vampires exist for real than it makes sense that other types of creatures exist. And I especially like the faeries and the fact that Sooky is at least half faerie. And in this episode we find out that she is part royalty!! I also thought it was very fitting that Steve Newlin is going to be "researched" upon and meets up with his ex-wife who is now working for the "researchers"!!

Anyway, I do have a question. What happened to Russell Edgeington? EDIT: I just went to HBO.com and they have some nice summaries of the episodes and I read and remembered that Eric staked him in last season's finale.

I still think its the best show on TV!!!

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
astrohip
Stuart F

Still watch. It's a fun show, but I think it's nearing the end of its life. Good example of how most dramas (most, but not all) start to wear out after 6 years or so. We've seen everything we can see about our characters, and it becomes time to bring the story to a close. No matter how you mix up a story, bring in fresh characters, change the scenery, it's still the same ol' show. Notice how many superb dramas come to an end after 6-8 years. Even the Game of Thrones showrunners have talked about trying to wrap it up within that time frame, and that's a show I could watch forever!. But they acknowledge the reality of wearing out your welcome.

Having said that... this season is ok. Better than some, worse than others. Note that Alan Ball, the original showrunner, left this year and we have a new one. Also note that there will be 10 episodes this year, instead of the usual 12.

I could do with some character trimming--Alcide (actually, all of the wolves), Nora, most of the Fae, the new guy (Ben?), a few others. Eric is having a standout year so far, although Pam is not as much fun as she used to be. And why are they underusing Lafayette?
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Frankly I think they screwed themselves out of several years of interesting episodes by veering away from the books and into some of the crazier storylines they've had and basically wrote themselves into the corner they're in now. It's been a lot less interesting/thoughtful and more action-packed for a while now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
tlc

I'm still enjoying it, although it doesn't captivate like earlier. I watch most TV while simultaneously surfing with a laptop. At first, I put the laptop down for TB. Not anymore.

Anyway, I wanted to say something about the previous ep., but there was no thread: I guess fatherhood is taking over other inclinations because all I could think when Sookie brought the new halfblood guy home is, "When you bring strange men back to your house, YOU COULD WEAR SOME PANTS!"
Old 07-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
Sacrilegium
that weird guy

I'm still watching, but the show has gone off the rails. There's just an overabundance of character changes, plot twists, etc. I guess the flip side of that is that you can't accuse the show of stagnating.

It's not as bad as V, when I kept watching just to see how horrible it was getting. That was entertaining in a perverse sort of way.

It's not as bad as Desperate Housewives, which I kept watching out of sheer habit and the psychology of sunken cost.

It's not as bad as Battlestar Galactica, but it's kinda getting that way. Much like BSG in the last season or so, I am not feeling great about where we're headed but I'm still engaged.

Having said all that, I'm still watching. I have no plans to stop. I don't have much to say about it either, though. It's become a wacky soap opera where anything can happen.
Sacrilegium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

i'm watching, but they almost lost me last season. the first four seasons, it was "us" against "them" - rene, maryann, russell, and marnie. then, season five (even with russell reborn), it seemed more like "us" verses "us" - vamps fighting vamps, wolves fighting wolves, fae fighting fae, sheriff fighting sheriff, and any combination of those. that's when they started to lose me. i'll finish this season and say goodbye.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
AeneaGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Frankly I think they screwed themselves out of several years of interesting episodes by veering away from the books and into some of the crazier storylines they've had and basically wrote themselves into the corner they're in now. It's been a lot less interesting/thoughtful and more action-packed for a while now.
This, absolutely this. The books were a lot more fun and they went their own way, sadly...
AeneaGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #8
bluntspoon

I watched the first episode this season and I realized that I just did not care one jot what happened to any of these people. I've watched every episode up to this point and it was my favorite show there for a while, but no more.

I'm out.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #9
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

I could have used your 'guys' support in another thread in this forum when I express my disappointment with the show and took on some friendly flames. I too would love to see an improvement.
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:23 AM   #10
cheesesteak
Meh.

I wouldn't mind if the werewolves all disappeared.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:07 AM   #11
fmowry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I wouldn't mind if the werewolves all disappeared.
The top female is not bad to look at and gets naked so she can stick around a while.

I think for some reason they've won me back after last season.

They could weed out some of the characters. Tara can go. The werewolves and Sam's step kid shifter whatever can go.

Not sure I like the Humans for Vampire Safety League or whatever they're called but they weeded them out pretty quick and saved the girl from Friday Night Lights so we'll see what they do with her. Sam's next fling?

So is Lafayette normal (as normal as he was when he first showed up) now?
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:12 AM   #12
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post
The top female is not bad to look at and gets naked so she can stick around a while.

I think for some reason they've won me back after last season.

They could weed out some of the characters. Tara can go. The werewolves and Sam's step kid shifter whatever can go.

Not sure I like the Humans for Vampire Safety League or whatever they're called but they weeded them out pretty quick and saved the girl from Friday Night Lights so we'll see what they do with her. Sam's next fling?

So is Lafayette normal (as normal as he was when he first showed up) now?
This sums up all my views perfectly!

one or two more threesomes and the wolves can stay for as long as they want
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:54 AM   #13
fmowry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
This sums up all my views perfectly!

one or two more threesomes and the wolves can stay for as long as they want
It's easier to remember multiple characters after seeing them nekkid!

And did anyone watch the end after the credits that showed the redhead in a little nighty with the link to baby-vamp/jessica or something like that? Can't look here at work.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:17 AM   #14
cheesesteak
Meh.

I must be one of the few people who like Tara. Her interactions with Pam crack me up. Plus I think she's the best looking woman on the show.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:24 AM   #15
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
I must be one of the few people who like Tara.
I don't think you'll get any disagreement with that statement!
Old 07-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #16
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
I must be one of the few people who like Tara. Her interactions with Pam crack me up. Plus I think she's the best looking woman on the show.
I'm with you all the way. I'm glad she was turned.

meh
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #17
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

She really wore thin on me pretty fast.

But then she died, and since then she's been much better.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #18
pmyers

Anybody else think Ben is Warlo? he's hurt and he seemed to be asking for permission to enter Sookie's house.

I think Gramps knows he is Warlo too.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #19
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Anybody else think Ben is Warlo? he's hurt and he seemed to be asking for permission to enter Sookie's house.

I think Gramps knows he is Warlo too.
I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, but it seems far-fetched that Ben would turn out to be Warllow given granddaddyfae's abilities. But I do admit that this is what I keep expecting will happen.

But they now seem to be taking the romantic angle with him and Sookie.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #20
Sacrilegium
that weird guy

There's definitely more to Grandaddy than he's let on so far. I don't know about Ben being Warlow (Warlo? Worloe? War-Low?) though. Seems a little too obvious.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #21
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacrilegium View Post
There's definitely more to Grandaddy than he's let on so far. I don't know about Ben being Warlow (Warlo? Worloe? War-Low?) though. Seems a little too obvious.
To me, it's obviously not true...Warlow is a vampire, but Ben does faerie stuff & Sookie can read his mind. Ergo, not a vampire. So unless they think we haven't been paying attention, I don't see how they can think we'd be fooled into thinking it's Ben.

(Besides, we already know Ben is Glory.)
Old 07-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #22
pmyers

Other than the GREAT "dog pile" scene from last week, the werewolve story line is just BORING!!!
Old 07-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #23
Sacrilegium
that weird guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
To me, it's obviously not true...Warlow is a vampire, but Ben does faerie stuff & Sookie can read his mind. Ergo, not a vampire. So unless they think we haven't been paying attention, I don't see how they can think we'd be fooled into thinking it's Ben.
Well, yes. I'm thinking more in terms of "a new friendly guy gets put on the show to help out our heroes, but it turns out he's really a bad guy." Kind of a cliche thing to have Ben either be Warlow or to be in league with him at least. Not taking the particulars of this show into account.
Quote:
Ben was much cuter on Buffy, then IMO. But YMMV.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #24
john4200

Quote:
Also, Ben walks in the daylight.

But all of that could be explained by some vampire-fairy link (Warlow does seem obsessed with fairies).

Still, I do not think Ben is a vampire. He does seem a bit creepy, though. Certainly not trustworthy after he was outside the fairy nightclub right after they all got killed (and just before they got killed, Sookie told him about the place).
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #25
gamndbndr

Billith is boring, the wolves are just around, but keep Sam, Pam, Tara, Sheriff Andy and Eric around and I'll stay tuned in. Like Rutger Hauer's addition, too.

Andy's 4 girls growing up crack me up. I hope Billith doesn't destroy them.
gamndbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #26
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:

I agree. But Ben could be working for Warlow. He led him to the fairies' hiding place and let him in so he could kill them. He is now spying on Sookie but, of course, will fall in love with her and protect her at the last minute. This will cause a rift between them as she is mad that he lied to her all this time...etc.

we've all seen this romantic comedy a million times, so we all know how it will go!
Old 07-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #27
aindik

I'm more interested than I was last season. I like the governor character, and the new human weapons are interesting.

Bill is going to use Andy's daughters to synthesize fairy blood for vampires to drink. He knows they're fairies because he can smell it.

I also like Tara more now that she's a vampire. But she's not hotter than Jess.

Never understood the "invite me in" thing, given that humans can be glamoured. Don't see the point.

These vamps must all be freaking starving.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:26 AM   #28
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
...But all of that could be explained by some vampire-fairy link (Warlow does seem obsessed with fairies).

Still, I do not think Ben is a vampire. He does seem a bit creepy, though. Certainly not trustworthy after he was outside the fairy nightclub right after they all got killed (and just before they got killed, Sookie told him about the place).
Am I agreeing with you? I think the vampire-fairy link is very possible. We saw Ben in the daylight right after he was "attacked" by vamps and then again right after the fairy attack. That could be what is giving him the power to read minds and walk during the day.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #29
aindik

Did Sookie give Ben food, and did he eat it? Would that mean he's not a vamp? I guess with a vamp fairy hybrid anything's possible.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #30
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
I also like Tara more now that she's a vampire. But she's not hotter than Jess.
Again, I must be the only one who thinks Jessica isn't all that and a bag of chips. Nice looking for sure but definitely not worthy of all the praise she gets here. I have yet to have a single impure thought about her.