Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-19-2013, 05:00 AM   #31
SullyND
W: 30-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBeth66 View Post
There was absolutely nothing likeable about her or her concept, and her voice just made me want to shoot someone.
That is EXACTLY how I felt about her - her voice was like nails on a chalkboard. I couldn't get over her making funny of the semi-homemade, oops, semi-vegetarian woman's voice a week or two ago.

Seems like you're better off being "Runner-up Cooking Channel also ran" than "Food Network Star". What happened to the Alton Brown wanna be from last season?
SullyND is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:01 AM   #32
paracelsus

I like Viet and think he's probably one of the better technical chefs on the show. I'm kind of surprised he took this path (FNS) vs going a Top Chef contestant route. I think he'd do great in Top Chef.
paracelsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #33
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
Ironic that Dooshy got "chopped".
So delightfully ironical!

I hate being schadenfreudy but - nanner nanner nanner. Ok, I'm over it now.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #34
Azlen

Not that it matters much, but I think she goes by Lovely rather than Lovey. Either way, she's not long for the show.
She was on Hell's Kitchen as well though I don't remember her from there at all.

Last edited by Azlen : 06-19-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #35
Azlen

I looked it up and Lovely was on season 6 of Hell's Kitchen. She was eliminated fairly early.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell%27...(U.S._season_6)

Things quickly got off to a bad start, as Lovely sent fondants to the pass before Hell's Kitchen had even opened (and burnt them as well)

On her elimination: Chef Ramsay's Reason: If people were named for their cooking, her name wouldn't be Lovely, it would be Useless.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #36
secondclaw

I was kinda sad to see Danushka go. She was so incredibly awful in the competition, with such rotten personality (I still remember her behavior from that Chopped episode) and lack of charisma, that she made for some great entertainment as a contrast to some more vivid personae. She would actually be a star on some god-awful reality show ...
secondclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:14 PM   #37
justen_m

I love Danushka!!!!

Loveley seems like an evil person, Azlen's posts show that.

Viet is probably the best cook, but like somebody said upthread, he would be awesome on Top Chef. He hasn't shown the charisma to be a food network star.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #38
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Yay. Lovely is gone. What kind of chef makes doughnuts from processed pizza dough?!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #39
mrmike
Custom User Title

Anyone watch Star Salvation? Travesty.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #40
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
Yay. Lovely is gone. What kind of chef makes doughnuts from processed pizza dough?!
That was INSANE. One of her teammates tried to say something. Didn't she taste them? Isn't that the big rule of thumb - taste your food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #41
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

She did taste it. That's the scary thing.

sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:36 AM   #42
sharkster

Another big YAY from me, for Lovely getting the boot. With her and Dooshy gone, there are no major irritants left. Even the girl from the south seems to be much less annoying. In fact, I somewhat like her. She's quite attractive too.

This 'Salvation' thing - are they effing kidding me?? I didn't look. Probably won't happen. I'm not a 'watch tv on the computer' person anyway, for the most part.

That kind of stuff just irks me anyway. It's just not fair to the people who have done well enough to stay on. I absolutely abhor the notion of bringing back somebody who did crappily enough to get eliminated. wrong wrong wrong
Old 06-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #43
ADent

Deep fried bread stick does not make a donut, even if you cover it in sugar. She had to go for that one.
ADent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #44
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Not tasting your food is so common on these shows. Top Chef chefs are guilty of it as well. Is it arrogance, stupidity or just simply forgetting?
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #45
PotentiallyCoherent

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
Not tasting your food is so common on these shows. Top Chef chefs are guilty of it as well. Is it arrogance, stupidity or just simply forgetting?
Unless I'm imagining things, she did taste the "donut."
PotentiallyCoherent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:35 AM   #46
JoBeth66
Temp

She did taste the donut, that wasn't a donut. Deep-fried prepared pizza dough? Ugh. That just sounded awful. Beignets would have been perfect, and really simple to do. So glad Lovely's gone.

I'm really liking Nikki. The whole concept of 'meat on the side' is intriguing, and I'd watch her show.
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:36 AM   #47
snowjay
40mph couch potato

Lovely was far from Lovely... way too fake IMHO.
snowjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #48
dthmj
Hinky

I think she tasted a fresh, hot donut - but by the time they go out to the diners and judges it was probably cold... and hard...

- Gaming Blog

- My brand new personal blog!
dthmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:19 AM   #49
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dthmj View Post
I think she tasted a fresh, hot donut - but by the time they go out to the diners and judges it was probably cold... and hard...
Even so.....prepared pizza dough should have been alarm bells in so many ways.

Prepared.

Pizza.

It's not much different than the stuff that Domino's makes.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #50
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Yeah, as soon as she said she was making doughnuts using prepared pizza dough, I knew she was in trouble!

That's insane for a home cook to do, let alone a potential Food Network Star.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #51
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
It's what makes me wonder who watches these shows! Like Survivor - learning how to make fire - don't chef's know that using pretty much "prepared" anything is death.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #52
dthmj
Hinky

Unless your point of view is going to be "semi-homemade".

Actually, I like that show on Food Network when I remember to watch it (though the host is a bit annoying). I would love more shows that showed how to cook daily food - which needs to be common ingredients - pantry staples - and take little skill or time. Rachel Ray's 30 minute meals was not bad for that - but sometimes she still was a little out there.

- Gaming Blog

- My brand new personal blog!
dthmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #53
nickels
opinionated dope

My early guess is "Poon" as my wife loves to call her, or Chad who is representing my home town. I have to root for Chad, and I think he has a decent shot. My wife interviewed at his restaurant yesterday and met him for a brief moment.

Danushka has it all - bad personality, horrible voice, mediocre cooking skills. How did she make it on this show?
Old 07-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #54
sharkster

Well, I'm bummed that my cute little guy - Viet - is gone. I was hoping it would be southern girl as she did an awful job once again in presentation. She's cute and I almost, kinda, sorta, like her in a small way. But she just goes into annoying mode every time it seems.

Viet just couldn't do well in front of a camera but he had a lot of other qualities I like.

Who could be thrown in front of a camera, as quickly as they are, and do well? Not too many people. The lady with the short dark hair is definitely the best.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #55
secondclaw

I think their first challenge was unfair to Nicky - a fire alarm? There are many people who are conditioned to panic or at least look for exits, especially those that's been through a fire or a bomb threat, etc. I would expect if she was on TV at the time, that she does NOT ignore it, and instead starts heading for some exit - at least to set the right example. The other 'distractions' were ok and somewhat funny.

Quote:
Danushka has it all - bad personality, horrible voice, mediocre cooking skills. How did she make it on this show?
Good for drama ... should have been on TNT ... heh ...
secondclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #56
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondclaw View Post
I think their first challenge was unfair to Nicky - a fire alarm? There are many people who are conditioned to panic or at least look for exits, especially those that's been through a fire or a bomb threat, etc. I would expect if she was on TV at the time, that she does NOT ignore it, and instead starts heading for some exit - at least to set the right example. The other 'distractions' were ok and somewhat funny.

Good for drama ... should have been on TNT ... heh ...

Agreed on the fire alarm. That didn't seem at all on the same level as what happened to the other contestants.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:26 AM   #57
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
She's proof that I am not as shallow as some people accuse me of. Totally my type looks-wise, but hells bells, I'd be outta there as soon as she started talking.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #58
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Not even close to my type. She looked like she needed a good meal, let alone cook one.

I've seen more meat on a butcher's pencil!
Old 07-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #59
squigy0
Internet DJ & Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
Why were they so upset about food truck / former druggie/alcoholic guy not having shared his story? Do they think that's a selling point for his show? Is there a big audience for former druggie/boozy chefs?
HA! Maybe. Remember back to previous seasons of this show though, they're really big on 1) the contestants coming up with a theme or pov & sticking with it, and 2) that theme or pov being something that the star can relate on a personal level so that people watching the show think a person is talking to them rather than at them from their tv screen.

Also, I've definitely been weighing the PROs and CONs on the lack of teams this year. While I really enjoyed the chefs defending their stars and having a vested interest in them, I think I enjoy more that they're all giving a critical third-party look at each of the stars, and not just holding onto them because they happen to be on their team. Plus, Alton's been downright brutally honest almost to the point of nasty (which I'm loving), and I think he dialed that back again last season.

I wonder if the vouching for stars backfired since last year's winner has had a total of one show on the network, and apparently now just blogs for the website but seemingly nothing else. :P
squigy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #60
jamesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by squigy0 View Post
I wonder if the vouching for stars backfired since last year's winner has had a total of one show on the network, and apparently now just blogs for the website but seemingly nothing else. :P
I think if he could come up with a "reality" / contest / undercover show they'd put him on every night

that seems to be the direction the "Food" Network is going
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote