TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
LeeAnnK

Lightbulb Tivo Desktop Plus not transferring large file from PC to Tivo

Using TiVo Desktop Plus Version 2.8.3 (412370) with Windows 7 PC, I am transferring .mpg files from my PC to a Series 3 HD TiVo. This TiVo is used strictly for holding my digitized exercise videos, organized into folders with my files added one by one so that they appear in the folders in an order of my choosing.

To achieve the results I wanted, I found that TiVo Desktop Plus was just the ticket. I've transferred 204 files. Most are not very long and transferred with no difficulty, but a few are larger, up to 4.04 GB. All were successfully transferred last year until I tried to add a new batch yesterday. 9 transferred just fine, but they were all smaller than 2.0 GB. Then it gagged on one that is 3.1 GB. It simply will not transfer it. I tried the next one, a small one and everything was fine, however, since I do want these in a particular order, I deleted it.

I have unplugged the TiVo, I have connected to TiVo, I have maxed the cache size and boosted the activity level in TiVo Desktop Plus "Performance" tab, Cleared cached information and restarted TDP, cleared the auto transfer list & transfer status window and restarted TDP. I have deleted the file folder in TDP and re-added the video folder. Basically, I have flushed everything and restarted the whole process a number of times and can't get this file to go.

There is plenty of space (45 GB) left on the TiVo. I am not using Kaspersky antivirus, but went ahead and followed the advice to make my TivoDesktop.exe, TivoServer.exe, and TivoTransfer.exe exceptions in AVG.

I called TiVo Tech Support, but transfers from PC to TiVo seemed out of their league. Any other thoughts???

Thanks!

p.s. I want to PUSH, not PULL, but I just tried pulling the file using "Now Playing" and selecting it from off of the PC. I received the message: "Will NOT record. Does not have enough disk space". That is simply not true. kmttg reports that 205 GB have been used. The hard drive is 250 GN Western Digital SATA drive. The drive hold 35 hours of HD and 303 SD according to system information, and I'm not there yet.

Last edited by LeeAnnK : 07-01-2013 at 04:27 PM. Reason: New information
LeeAnnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #2

or you can try http://sourceforge.net/p/kmttg/wiki/Home/, http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/

Last edited by 36446 : 07-01-2013 at 05:45 PM.
36446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

PyTivo with auto push option, will let you push instead of pull. TDP is one of the worst ways to transfer videos. The tivoserver stopped working for me and stopped using it and switched to PyTivo, now I can have multiple folders on my Tivo play list while TDP only has 1.

KMTTG is only a download from Tivo program, although it has a push feature, that uses PyTivo to do it.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:32 AM   #4
LeeAnnK

Let's go back to my original post with TDP

Appreciate the suggestion, but I use piTiVo and kmmtg already. kmmtg is great for letting me know how much is on the TiVo drive -- I should have plenty of room for these few new files to add to the drive.

Since I have used TDP to carefully place 204 files, I don't wish to start over with piTiVo for this particular project. But for grins, I did try to push the file with piTiVo and it also failed to transfer.

I marked all of the files "keep until I delete" because I didn't want any of the files ever removed, not even by my adding more files. I want the drives set up and then to stay static.

Does TiVo think there is less space than there really is? How much of the disk space is used up by TiVo software? On a 250 GB drive, how much is really useable?
Old 07-02-2013, 12:39 AM   #5
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

On my Tivo HD, I have a 1 TB drive on it and about 907 GB is the entire storage space available. KMTTG will not tell you how much space is available until you tell it how much manually and then pressing Enter on the usage screen.

For the PyTivo pushes, you need to specify what shares you can push from, if you used KMTTG to push and it fails, it will tell what errors comes up while PyTivo will not.

You may need to have files present, auto_push, auto_push.jar, auto_push.log.
If you only have auto_push.jar, open it and set the folders to push from. (I think thats how to set it up)

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : 07-02-2013 at 12:47 AM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

It could simply be that some of your videos are corrupted somehow.
Assuming your videos are in mpeg format, you can use VideoReDo and its Quickstream Fix tool on the videos that won't transfer and see if anything changes.
VideoReDo has a free trial (15 days) that will allow you to test this theory.
All you have to do is download and register for a trial key.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #7
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAnnK View Post
Appreciate the suggestion, but I use piTiVo and kmmtg already. kmmtg is great for letting me know how much is on the TiVo drive -- I should have plenty of room for these few new files to add to the drive.

Since I have used TDP to carefully place 204 files, I don't wish to start over with piTiVo for this particular project. But for grins, I did try to push the file with piTiVo and it also failed to transfer.

I marked all of the files "keep until I delete" because I didn't want any of the files ever removed, not even by my adding more files. I want the drives set up and then to stay static.

Does TiVo think there is less space than there really is? How much of the disk space is used up by TiVo software? On a 250 GB drive, how much is really useable?
The Keep until I delete is doing it. Do you have shows recording automatically, like season passes, marked that way?

What the Tivo might be doing is determining that if they all record, and none can delete, the tivo will be full.
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #8
LeeAnnK

Keep Until I Delete

Thank you all for your advice!

Mission Accomplished. "Keep Until I Delete" was the problem. I use this TiVo as a static device, so there are no wish lists or season passes, but all saved files were flagged "Keep Until I Delete" and the problem began when "Keep Until I Delete" files exceeded 200 GB.

I deleted one large file (4 GB) I didn't care about, and still could not push any files. But once I changed the "Keep Until I Delete" to "Keep Until Space Needed" on three larger, least loved files, I was able to push all of my new files onto the TiVo.

I eventually deleted a few files to see what I might be left with after I added all of the new items. I wanted to know what my drive actually holds. One was deleted to make room for the new, so the drive is now completely full. I now have this puppy crammed with all of my exercise files and consider it completely static. No new files will be added. It is perfect!! All files are again marked "Keep Until I Delete" and any remaining deleted files restored.

So here is a summary of what I learned about my 250 GB drive:

With "Keep Until I Delete" at 190 GB, I was able to push files onto the TiVo (another 16.62 GB). With 205 GB at "Keep Until I Delete", I was not able to push anything.

The 250 GB drive holds 214 GB MAX. The remaining 36 GB is not available. I assume this is used by TiVo software and that a similar number of Gigs is unavailable on my other bigger boxes, but I don't have a need to test them. They are not static and are allowed to do their thing without my being a control freak about it. But this box had to be just right. I am pleased.

Just a comment -- I personally prefer TDP to pyTivo, which I used to use a lot. Unlike pyTivo, I did not have to write any metadata. With "Keep Until I Delete" below 200 GB, TDP worked without a hitch. I have no complaints at all about the job TDP did. And the problem it did have, was not unique to TDP. PyTiVo and pulling also were not possible with KUID so big.

Again, thanks everyone for their suggestions. I hope you find my experience related here of interest.

p.s. Called TiVo and asked how much of the hard drive TiVo uses. The answer with the Series 3 HD 250 GB drive is that the TiVo Operating System takes 14 Gigs. For the 1 Terabyte drives, whether Series 3 or 4, the operating system is 112 Gigs. Then there is some space used for the programming guides, etc.

Last edited by LeeAnnK : 07-02-2013 at 08:32 PM. Reason: more info