TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #9571
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cox Cable Market, NV
Posts: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Even if you find one it may turn out to be Advanced Format. I wanted to buy another WD10EADS drive because of the good experience I've had with one for almost four years (so far). I was able to buy "new" ones (which did appear to be factory new) but they are now 4K instead of 512. They say "Advanced Format" on the label on the drive case.
I was going to warn him of the same thing. I lucked-out and received factory-recertified 512 byte sector WD20EADS drives, when I standard RMA'd a batch of the same model to WD.

I was going to sell those still-sealed replacements, but now think that they are well worth holding onto. I may even use them for my TiVos, and instead, sell-off the five WD20EURS drives I haven't opened yet.

I only own TiVo HDs and two-tuner model Premieres, neither of which were designed for 4K/512e drives...

It is possible to buy factory-recertified true 512 byte sector drives, but I think new ones are extinct.

What I wonder about, is if TiVo did something special with the two-tuner Premiere models, which have the 500GB drive in them. I had an opportunity to verify those drives ARE AF 4K/512e models, but not an opportunity to do anything more than read the label...
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:30 AM   #9572
tluxon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 201
I'm not figuring I'll ever be getting another 512 byte drive, so I'm hoping some way can be figured out to align the media partitions to the 4K boundaries. It may take a little trial and error sometime in the future, but it seems worth a shot to try the Linux fdisk method described in Novell's knowledgebase paper Partition alignment of drives with internal sector size larger than 512 bytes. If that can be done immediately after a truncated restore and then have the right filesystem put back in each shifted partition, I'm hopeful that it could work. I'm just not sure how the OS would handle the change in address of the shifted partitions. If it works, it would provide us an image that can be shared with anyone else caring about aligned partitions on their 4K drives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
What I wonder about, is if TiVo did something special with the two-tuner Premiere models, which have the 500GB drive in them. I had an opportunity to verify those drives ARE AF 4K/512e models, but not an opportunity to do anything more than read the label...
As for the Premiere (2-tuner), my wife mentioned that she's seen it reboot a couple times while she was watching it, so I might have a double reason to take it out to test and read the partition table with WinMFS. I'm really curious to see if TiVo actually bothers to align the partitions on it, because it seems to have similar hesitations in FF'ing shows as the THD with the WD20EURS in it. Edit: I just went and played with it a bit and I take that back - it's as fast as the 512 byte drives were.

Last edited by tluxon : 06-30-2013 at 12:44 AM.
tluxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:08 AM   #9573
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cox Cable Market, NV
Posts: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluxon View Post
I'm not figuring I'll ever be getting another 512 byte drive, so I'm hoping some way can be figured out to align the media partitions to the 4K boundaries. It may take a little trial and error sometime in the future, but it seems worth a shot to try the Linux fdisk method described in Novell's knowledgebase paper Partition alignment of drives with internal sector size larger than 512 bytes. If that can be done immediately after a truncated restore and then have the right filesystem put back in each shifted partition, I'm hopeful that it could work. I'm just not sure how the OS would handle the change in address of the shifted partitions. If it works, it would provide us an image that can be shared with anyone else caring about aligned partitions on their 4K drives.
I'm happy to see somebody as interested in this as I am. I just don't know enough about Linux, let alone the "tivoized" version of it, combined with the arcane/outdated/proprietary file system structure, to really do much about "fixing", or changing, the structure to produce an aligned, and optimized result that works.

Just taking a stock image, and tacking a ~1.7TB partition on the end isn't "optimized". Leaving 4K alignment out if the picture for a moment, one may also consider putting the partitions in a strategic layout, so the drive has to do the least amount of seeking, and shorter seeks. WinMFS did this quite well for the old TiVos it was designed for, with the drive sizes available at the time. But, it is now a very outdated utility. I'm hoping that the DVRBARS utility evolves into a utility/toolset that combines all the elements of all the existing tools/utilities, and makes them work well with current and future hardware/drives. TiVo is going to have to make some major changes in future products, if/when they break the 2TB barrier. As some have said, once they do that, all existing tools/utilities will become useless, as is.

EDIT/ADD: People have reported that they have taken drives from one model Premiere, installed it in another, and that the TiVo detected the software was wrong, then downloaded the correct software, and all worked well after the correct software was installed. So, what I'm wondering, now, is did the drive retain the partition map it had before the update? If so, there could be a very easy fix right under our noses. I only have 320GB two-tuner model Premieres. I wonder, if TiVo did align the 500GB version, if it could be cloned to a 2TB drive, put into a unit that came with a 320GB drive, get the correct software, and retain alignment... It's my understanding that using Windows 7 and DVRBARS, and virtual hard drives, that one could play around with this concept without as much effort as other ways...

I do realize that this discussion is going on in the Series 3/HD thread, but don't think all the Premiere talk takes away from the goal, which could lead to alignment and optimization for all TiVos.

EDIT/ADD: Come to think of it, the use of one model's partition structure, in order to increase capacity of another model was done before, with a forum member taking a HD XL image and gutting it of its identity, so that the image could be used on a non-XL HD, because it would download the correct software on it's maiden startup. The structure remained intact. However, distributing the image was frowned upon here, at the time, the person who made it didn't intend for it to get passed around, and the gutting process was just an experiment. It seemed most of the users of that image seemed to experience drive corruption later on down the road. I sure did. Nobody uses that method anymore. Maybe it is time to re-think that it was not a good option. Maybe it should be revisited, as a means to an end result, that doesn't become corrupt, and provides alignment and optimization...

Last edited by nooneuknow : 06-30-2013 at 01:43 AM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:38 AM   #9574
c3
TiVoholic
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 3,034
Summary of my experiments of upgrading TiVoHD from its original 160GB drive to 2TB drive, regarding 4KB alignment.

1. WinMFS mfscopy and mfsadd with "optimized layout": 1 MFS media region unaligned, as discussed in previous messages.

2. WinMFS mfscopy and mfsadd with "unoptimized layout": multiple MFS regions unaligned. It rearranged all partitions based on the partition number. The original layout was NOT preserved. Don't bother.

3. "dd" and WinMFS mfsadd: Messed up the new partitions and crashed. Don't bother.

4. "dd" and MFSLive mfsadd: All MFS partitions are aligned. See attached picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new2tb.jpg (53.6 KB, 33 views)
__________________
TiVo Roamio Plus (10/18/2013): WD30EURS
5 TiVo HDs: WD10EACS, WD1000FYPS, WD10EACS, WD5000ABYS, WD10EADS
Addicted to TiVo since 9/16/2000, all lifetime subs

Last edited by c3 : 06-30-2013 at 04:44 AM.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:13 AM   #9575
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cox Cable Market, NV
Posts: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post
Summary of my experiments of upgrading TiVoHD from its original 160GB drive to 2TB drive, regarding 4KB alignment.
1. WinMFS mfscopy and mfsadd with "optimized layout": 1 MFS media region unaligned, as discussed in previous messages.
2. WinMFS mfscopy and mfsadd with "unoptimized layout": multiple MFS regions unaligned. It rearranged all partitions based on the partition number. The original layout was NOT preserved. Don't bother.
3. "dd" and WinMFS mfsadd: Messed up the new partitions and crashed. Don't bother.
4. "dd" and MFSLive mfsadd: All MFS partitions are aligned. See attached picture.
That was always what I hated about WinMFS - It screwing with the offsets and layouts, even if you unselected the "optimized layout" option. You could never get an exact copy of the original layout, when imaging the drive from an image file. Maybe that worked best for Series 2 TiVos and the drive sizes available at the time (I wouldn't know).

So, do you have any ideas on how to properly "optimize" (not to be confused with 4K alignment, which is a separate matter) a 2TB drive, by splitting the media partitions into equal sizes and making the "sandwich" that WinMFS was designed to make for the equipment and drive sizes that were prevalent at the time the software was designed?

One thing that is not widely known, is that added partitions are "supposed to come in pairs". That statement/line has been reportedly found within the TiVo code, by a few people who dug into it. It must have been put into the code for a reason, and the creator of WinMFS tried to make sure that there were pairs. As of yet, nobody has proven that it actually matters. JMFS only adds one partition, consuming all the free space at the end of the drive.

Feel free to further regale us with what you know, and what you think about the questions, and possible solutions to issues, which have recently flared up. It's not often, when things like this come up, that there is anybody willing to take the time to share what they know, and others who want to dig in and try to find solutions. Look at how much one person (Comer) gave to all of us, with JMFS. Until he contributed, most had no choice, but to buy pre-imaged drives (for Premieres), where the cost of the pre-imaging generally exceeds the cost of the drive...

Last edited by nooneuknow : 06-30-2013 at 07:00 AM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #9576
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,685
Do we even know if the pre-imaged drives (DVR_DUDE, Weaknees.com) are 4K aligned? Apparently you can use a non-aligned drive without realizing there's a problem for quite a while.
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #9577
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
........
It is possible to buy factory-recertified true 512 byte sector drives.........
Can you tell us where, please?
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #9578
ggieseke
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
I'm hoping that the DVRBARS utility evolves into a utility/toolset that combines all the elements of all the existing tools/utilities, and makes them work well with current and future hardware/drives. TiVo is going to have to make some major changes in future products, if/when they break the 2TB barrier. As some have said, once they do that, all existing tools/utilities will become useless, as is.
Me too. I haven't touched the code since since patching a few things in the first week, but the obsession that made me write v1 is starting to come back.

To get 4K alignment right now I'd just take the 758 image, slap it on a WD20EURS, and see how it works in a 746 or 748. From several tests that jmbach has done it seems to download the correct image automatically even without forcing a KS52 (at least when going from a 746 to a 748). I will run the 758-748 test this morning and let you know how it goes.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #9579
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay
 
ThAbtO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,364
Last night, I got a WD10EZRX (think that was the exact model, can't remember unless I go look), restored a 540 WinMFS image and installed in the Tivo 540080. It didn't boot up, was sitting on the power up screen for 5 min. So I put the original drive back in and the power up screen only lasted for about 1 1/2 min before the few minutes screen.

I guess I need a way to get WDidle3 to run and it would take some work since this is the only computer with SATA port. I have not even burned an ultimate boot CD yet. I guess I would also need to burn a CD with WDidle3.

We are currently in a heat wave in California and would wait until it dies down before I attempt the WDidle3.
__________________
Series 2 (80 hrs,PLS, Retired)
TiVo HD 1TB (157 HD Hrs, PLS, "S3HD")
Roamio, Oh Roamio!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #9580
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cox Cable Market, NV
Posts: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Can you tell us where, please?
Newegg stocks them, when they are available. Fry's sells them as well, online only (but, the prices are EXTREME).

I do believe that WD may still directly sell them. However, it's my experience that you have to search by model, rather than go through the main products listings. The same goes for Newegg (search by model number).

Sometimes, the product designation will change from "discontinued", then return to that, once the supply is exhausted, until they are once again made available.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 06-30-2013 at 08:42 PM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #9581
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cox Cable Market, NV
Posts: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Do we even know if the pre-imaged drives (DVR_DUDE, Weaknees.com) are 4K aligned? Apparently you can use a non-aligned drive without realizing there's a problem for quite a while.
In my opinion, they are not aligned, if you order for a model that would not have had a 4K aligned original drive. I bought 2TB drives for both the Premiere TCD746320 (2-tuner, 320GB), and the TiVo HD TCD652160, from DVR_DUDE. The factory partition tables for the Premiere remain exactly as they were on a stock drive, with all the extra space tacked onto the end of the drive, with a small apple_free partition, at the end of that (which I wonder what it is there for, or if it serves a necessary purpose I'm unaware of, other than an unusable placeholder, or if it is deliberate). The TiVo HD drive is giving me some difficulty in reading the partition map. I just ASSUME that if he doesn't align a Premiere drive, he doesn't align a TiVo HD drive. He also ships the drives with old TiVo factory-installed software revisions. This makes the shipping software for the HD, on his drives, non-2TB supporting, so it raises a lot of doubt for the HD. If the 2TB Premiere map (the stock portion) had been altered, in any way, I doubt that JMFS would recognize it, and let you use the guided menus, as opposed to having to drop to the command prompt to use dd_rescue, like the 2TB HD requires, if you want to clone/copy it.

I'll triple check, and make sure I'm not missing something, when I can free up the time and resources to take another look. Maybe just the stocks parts are misaligned, but the added space MIGHT be. I'll take another look.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 06-30-2013 at 08:47 PM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #9582
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cox Cable Market, NV
Posts: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
Me too. I haven't touched the code since since patching a few things in the first week, but the obsession that made me write v1 is starting to come back.

To get 4K alignment right now I'd just take the 758 image, slap it on a WD20EURS, and see how it works in a 746 or 748. From several tests that jmbach has done it seems to download the correct image automatically even without forcing a KS52 (at least when going from a 746 to a 748). I will run the 758-748 test this morning and let you know how it goes.
You are reading my mind, very well, I would say.

Basically, use an existing 4K aligned partition structure, with the software from one that wouldn't be. I can't wait to hear how your experiments turn out!
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:37 PM   #9583
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay
 
ThAbtO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,364
I just made the Ultimate Boot CD and tried it. Yet, I haven't figured out what drive spec is my CD/DVD drive is at (Usually its d: ).
__________________
Series 2 (80 hrs,PLS, Retired)
TiVo HD 1TB (157 HD Hrs, PLS, "S3HD")
Roamio, Oh Roamio!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #9584
dougdingle
HD Tech
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: West Coast
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluxon View Post
Uh-oh. I have a lineup discrepancy I was trying to correct by resetting it, and it's been stuck in the "(Preparing...)" mode for 20 minutes. This can't be good...

Never mind - it finally resumed progress and is now downloading the info. Still, I don't remember ever having such a long "preparing" step.

Edit: Wow, that took 90 minutes! Has anybody else experienced anything like this after a drive upgrade?
Yes. Last drive change I did about two weeks ago took FOREVER to update the data. At least an hour, likely more, since I got bored and walked away.
dougdingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:13 AM   #9585
jmbach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
You are reading my mind, very well, I would say.

Basically, use an existing 4K aligned partition structure, with the software from one that wouldn't be. I can't wait to hear how your experiments turn out!
I experimented with this several months back. It seems to work. The added benefit is that you can add an external TiVo expander drive.

Here is what I did.

Put 758 image on a 2TB drive and booted in the 748. Did a KS 52 to be on the safe side. Did its thing and booted up fine. Did not notice any loss of function.

Then I modified Block 0 to a 748 block. Booted and ran without problems.

Then I modified the APM by nulling out the data in the reserved sections of each block. (The 4 turner premieres have a modified APM that adds extra information in a reserved section of each block of the APM. I do not know the meaning of this. My supposition is that perhaps TiVo is making the move to drives larger than 2TB while still maintaining the basic OS setup.) Booted and ran without problems.

Then I copied the root, kernel, and var partitions over from my 1 TB 748 drive to this 2tb drive. Again, it booted and ran just fine.

My testing was limited to running through the menus, changing channels, and trying a recording. Did not test any apps or anything else.

Would be interested if ggieseke experience is similar.
__________________
"Delay is preferable to error" - Thomas Jefferson
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" - Sir Isaac Newton
jmbach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:54 AM   #9586
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cox Cable Market, NV
Posts: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
I experimented with this several months back. It seems to work. The added benefit is that you can add an external TiVo expander drive.
Here is what I did.
Put 758 image on a 2TB drive and booted in the 748. Did a KS 52 to be on the safe side. Did its thing and booted up fine. Did not notice any loss of function.
Then I modified Block 0 to a 748 block. Booted and ran without problems.
Then I modified the APM by nulling out the data in the reserved sections of each block. (The 4 turner premieres have a modified APM that adds extra information in a reserved section of each block of the APM. I do not know the meaning of this. My supposition is that perhaps TiVo is making the move to drives larger than 2TB while still maintaining the basic OS setup.) Booted and ran without problems.
Then I copied the root, kernel, and var partitions over from my 1 TB 748 drive to this 2tb drive. Again, it booted and ran just fine.
My testing was limited to running through the menus, changing channels, and trying a recording. Did not test any apps or anything else.
Would be interested if ggieseke experience is similar.
Cool. I only wish I had to knowledge to do the editing/nullifying that you did. I'm looking to do this on 746 units (I don't have any Premieres other than TCD746320 models). I'm willing to contribute in any way I can, or am capable of. Anything I can do to help?

I'd like to PM over the partition structures of the 2TB drives for the Premiere TCD746320 and HD TCD652160, I bought from DVR_DUDE (I'm not going to do it publicly). What would be the best way for me to read the maps, and pipe/re-direct the output to a text file I can provide?
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:02 AM   #9587
tluxon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 201
I have a warranty replacement re-certified HGST (Hitachi) 1TB drive that has 512 byte sectors (mfd early 2010). It's a HDS721010CLA332 (7200 RPM, 32MB Cache, 512 byte sectors) that was sent as a replacement drive for a failed WHSv1 drive. It's not really designed for use as an audio-video drive, but I'm very curious to see if it wouldn't be a better 'transition' drive for until I learn more about the possibility of using a 2TB drive with 4K-aligned media partitions.

As I see it, the problem with putting all my eggs in the 2TB basket now is that if a method is devised to properly align the partitions, it will almost certainly preclude 'upgrading' an unaligned 2TB drive due to having to move some of the partitions up in address. For that reason, I think it's reasonable to limit any upgrades to sub-2TB drives unless loss of recorded shows during an upgrade is acceptable.

Speaking of loss of recorded shows - can unflagged (copy-freely) shows be saved off of a retired TiVo drive to a Linux computer? Or is everything encrypted with an unknown/unusable key?

Last edited by tluxon : 07-01-2013 at 09:58 AM.
tluxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #9588
lpwcomp
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: John's Creek, Georgia
Posts: 4,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluxon View Post
Speaking of loss of recorded shows - can unflagged (copy-freely) shows be saved off of a retired TiVo drive to a Linux computer? Or is everything encrypted with an unknown/unusable key?
If you're asking if recordings can be extracted from a TiVo drive attached to your computer, the answer is no.
__________________
James L. Sutherland
"You know TiVo users. Bunch of b****y little girls" TiVoAxe

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #9589
tluxon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 201
I went ahead and swapped out the in-use-1-week WD20EURS for the 1TB Hitachi with the 512 byte sectors this morning, so tonight I'll see if I can notice any difference in how well it handles a couple high bitrate buffers while watching a third high bitrate recording with a lot of FF'ing and REW'ing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
If you're asking if recordings can be extracted from a TiVo drive attached to your computer, the answer is no.
Do you know if that's due to encryption of the media partitions, the individual files, both, or some other reason?

I'm curious because I haven't yet discovered if the upgrade utilities we're using are just doing a bit-for-bit copy of the source drive or if there was any partition-by-partition copying being done.

Also, if I'm going to experiment with various drives with regards to the 4K alignment issue, there may be occasions when I have more new recordings I want to preserve than can be transferred normally to other TiVos in a timely manner. If we know enough about the filesystem to be successfully copying partitions and hopefully being able to 'move' them into 4K alignment, I figured there would be some way of parsing out some of the data.
tluxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #9590
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cox Cable Market, NV
Posts: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluxon View Post
I'm curious because I haven't yet discovered if the upgrade utilities we're using are just doing a bit-for-bit copy of the source drive or if there was any partition-by-partition copying being done.

Also, if I'm going to experiment with various drives with regards to the 4K alignment issue, there may be occasions when I have more new recordings I want to preserve than can be transferred normally to other TiVos in a timely manner. If we know enough about the filesystem to be successfully copying partitions and hopefully being able to 'move' them into 4K alignment, I figured there would be some way of parsing out some of the data.
I've seen reports of people ONLY copying certain partitions, but they were system-related ones, for the purpose of reviving a corrupted system.

As far as any media/recordings:
If you can't copy it to another TiVo or computer over the NETWORK, kiss it goodbye. While people have done things to much older TiVo models, in order to save protected recordings, that topic is not to be discussed on these forums. Even if I knew a way, which I don't, I couldn't mention it here, or give you any suggestions on what to try.

If you do find a way, I wouldn't suggest telling anybody, here, unless it's through a private email, or the other forum which we are prohibited from linking to, or even typing out the full name of.

As far as your potential hard drive: You had better check the current draw ratings, and compare it to a stock drive, or a green 2TB model. If it draws too much current, or requires a lot to spin-up, you could stress the power supply. This is the biggest reason most people don't use 7200RPM drives in their TiVos. The second part is the amount of heat a 7200RPM generates, and the TiVo's limited ability to cool the drive, thus stressing the drive.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #9591
tluxon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
...
As far as your potential hard drive: You had better check the current draw ratings, and compare it to a stock drive, or a green 2TB model. If it draws too much current, or requires a lot to spin-up, you could stress the power supply. This is the biggest reason most people don't use 7200RPM drives in their TiVos. The second part is the amount of heat a 7200RPM generates, and the TiVo's limited ability to cool the drive, thus stressing the drive.
I forgot about the power draw factor. The Hitachi seemed to start up quickly this morning, but I had to head to work before I really did anything with it.

That puts a whole new perspective on things. I know the Hitachi got pretty warm in the Windows Home Server, and that was with a slow speed fan moving air directly across it. Now I'm concerned for the power supply in the TiVo, and even moreso now that we're having very warm weather today. I'm thinking that the advantage of positioning myself for a future 4K alignment solution is trumped by my concern for the longevity of the power supply.

Would you agree? Would you stick the WD20EURS back in rather than the Hitachi 7200 - even with the difference of a 512 byte sector drive?

Hmmm...
tluxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #9592
ggieseke
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
You are reading my mind, very well, I would say.

Basically, use an existing 4K aligned partition structure, with the software from one that wouldn't be. I can't wait to hear how your experiments turn out!
So far so good. I took a WD20EURS that I had previously zeroed, did a DvrBARS quick restore of the 758 image, and dropped it in the 748.

It upgraded itself to the right software without a KS52, and surprisingly it didn't even need a C&DE. I guess that since the 758 image was taken from a drive that had never been booted it may not need that step.

When I get a chance later in the week I'm going to extract the ext2 & MFS partitions to my PC and compare them to the the 748 files.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #9593
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cox Cable Market, NV
Posts: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluxon View Post
I forgot about the power draw factor. The Hitachi seemed to start up quickly this morning, but I had to head to work before I really did anything with it.

That puts a whole new perspective on things. I know the Hitachi got pretty warm in the Windows Home Server, and that was with a slow speed fan moving air directly across it. Now I'm concerned for the power supply in the TiVo, and even moreso now that we're having very warm weather today. I'm thinking that the advantage of positioning myself for a future 4K alignment solution is trumped by my concern for the longevity of the power supply.

Would you agree? Would you stick the WD20EURS back in rather than the Hitachi 7200 - even with the difference of a 512 byte sector drive?

Hmmm...
Well, it's a judgment call that's hard to advise upon, without knowing the spin-up and running power requirements of the potential drive. I also don't know how much power capacity is left for wiggle room (for the drive), once the draw of the other components is factored in. I've heard of people exceeding the capacity upon installation of a cablecard, as they were just within the boundaries before adding that load (which, can be diminished if the power supply output capacitors are near end-of-life). I'd definitely do a visual inspection for leaking, or bulging caps, at minimum. Then, I'd take a close look at the specifications for the drive's requirements.

Then there's the heat-dissipation requirements of the drive. Hot drive equals shorter drive life. As for the heat that it generates passing over everything else before it exits the fan, you'd be able to do a comparison of running temps of the processor from the system information screen, as well as the fan speed possibly kicking into high, as it is designed to do. If the fan speed tends to stay high, that would indicate you're pushing things.

EDIT/ADD: I usually do a before-and-after comparison of the output voltages of the power supply. As long as the voltages don't drop too far (some would say that a maximum of ~20% variation of each voltage is acceptable, overall), I'd proceed and see what happens. The output voltages and amperage ratings are printed on the power supply board, or are on a sticker wrapped around the biggest capacitor, on the input side of it. Just be careful, since the heatsinks tend to be live, and resting your hand on the case, while probing can jolt you, if you touch a heatsink.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 07-01-2013 at 04:32 PM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #9594
c3
TiVoholic
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 3,034
My parents' laptop died a couple of days ago. I don't think it was a coincidence that it happened on one of the hottest days here. Heat, noise, and power supply concerns are all good reasons NOT to put in a 7200RPM drive. I have not bought 7200RPM drives even for desktop use since the first WD Green drive came out.

For TiVoHD, 4KB alignment can be easily achieved with dd of the original 160GB drive and mfstool mfsadd. dd takes less than an hour with SATA connections.
__________________
TiVo Roamio Plus (10/18/2013): WD30EURS
5 TiVo HDs: WD10EACS, WD1000FYPS, WD10EACS, WD5000ABYS, WD10EADS
Addicted to TiVo since 9/16/2000, all lifetime subs
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #9595
tluxon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Well, it's a judgment call that's hard to advise upon, without knowing the spin-up and running power requirements of the potential drive. I also don't know how much power capacity is left for wiggle room (for the drive), once the draw of the other components is factored in. I've heard of people exceeding the capacity upon installation of a cablecard, as they were just within the boundaries before adding that load (which, can be diminished if the power supply output capacitors are near end-of-life). I'd definitely do a visual inspection for leaking, or bulging caps, at minimum. Then, I'd take a close look at the specifications for the drive's requirements.

Then there's the heat-dissipation requirements of the drive. Hot drive equals shorter drive life. As for the heat that it generates passing over everything else before it exits the fan, you'd be able to do a comparison of running temps of the processor from the system information screen, as well as the fan speed possibly kicking into high, as it is designed to do. If the fan speed tends to stay high, that would indicate you're pushing things.
All things considered, I called home and had that TiVo shut down until I can get home to take another look at it.

When I put the WD20EURS in it a week ago, my son (who's the real electronics guru of the house) and I took a really close look at all the capacitors and didn't see any bulging or any other warning signs. Unfortunately, I switched drives so quickly this morning due to running a little behind schedule that I forgot to take a look at them again. I'll compare the startup power requirements of both drives if I can find them, but I suspect the Hitachi will be more demanding. If it is, I won't even mess around with it in the TiVo - especially since it hasn't been geared for DVR-type usage.

Quote:
EDIT/ADD: I usually do a before-and-after comparison of the output voltages of the power supply. As long as the voltages don't drop too far (some would say that a maximum of ~20% variation of each voltage is acceptable, overall), I'd proceed and see what happens. The output voltages and amperage ratings are printed on the power supply board, or are on a sticker wrapped around the biggest capacitor, on the input side of it. Just be careful, since the heatsinks tend to be live, and resting your hand on the case, while probing can jolt you, if you touch a heatsink.
If I decide to give the Hitachi a chance, I'll check the voltage drop against that of the WD20EURS, but I'm leaning toward just sticking the WD20EURS back in and going with that, since I'll have almost zero time to babysit the TiVo until next week.
tluxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #9596
tluxon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluxon View Post
All things considered, I called home and had that TiVo shut down until I can get home to take another look at it.

When I put the WD20EURS in it a week ago, my son (who's the real electronics guru of the house) and I took a really close look at all the capacitors and didn't see any bulging or any other warning signs. Unfortunately, I switched drives so quickly this morning due to running a little behind schedule that I forgot to take a look at them again. I'll compare the startup power requirements of both drives if I can find them, but I suspect the Hitachi will be more demanding. If it is, I won't even mess around with it in the TiVo - especially since it hasn't been geared for DVR-type usage.

If I decide to give the Hitachi a chance, I'll check the voltage drop against that of the WD20EURS, but I'm leaning toward just sticking the WD20EURS back in and going with that, since I'll have almost zero time to babysit the TiVo until next week.
Well, I was able to find some power requirement specs for the Hitachi, and it doesn't look as bad as I imagined. In fact, it looks far better than the Seagate DB35.3 drive I had been using for over 5 years.

Seagate DB35.3 (750GB) - from http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/data...b35_7200_3.pdf
Startup Current (12 V typical, amps): 2.0
Idle Average (watts): 9.3
Standby/Sleep Mode (typical, watts): 0.8

Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C (1TB) - from http://www.hgst.com/tech/techlib.nsf...C_DS_final.pdf
Startup current (A, max.): 1.5 (+5V), 2.0 (+12V)
Idle (W) 1TB: 4.4

Western Digital WD20EARS (2TB) - from http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/librar...879-701250.pdf
Average power requirements (Watts)
Read/Write: 4.4
Idle: 4.1
Standby/Sleep: 0.6

I wasn't able to find a startup current spec for the WD20EURS, but based on the other specs, I would expect it to be in the neighborhood of the Hitachi startup draw, or slightly less. I think the fact that the THD's power supply was driving the DB35.3 for over 5 years without apparent issue speaks well for it's prospects of running either the Hitachi or the WD20EURS. I guess I should start it back up and see how it performs with several high bitrate sources.
tluxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:44 AM   #9597
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay
 
ThAbtO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,364
Late night, I tried to get the WD10EZRX hooked up to run WDidle3.

My computer currently has 2 HDDs attached to SATA0 and via a HDD dock through SATA1. Booted up with WD10EZRX in the dock and windows HDD disconnected and using the Ultimate Boot CD. I found the UBcd has WDidle3 with it

The idle timer was originally set for 12 seconds, and now successfully disabled.

After that, removed the drive from the bay and replaced it with what I had, and reconnected the Windows drive. However, upon boot, computer complained of disk boot failure. After trying to figure out how to fix it, in Cmos, etc. in the end, I figured to just boot with the Windows drive and nothing in the dock bay.

Next time, I will endeavor to install the new drive into the Tivo 540080. Previous install just got me stuck at the powering up screen.

Edit: After the WDIdle3 worked and drive installed, had to go through guided setup twice with CD&E in between. 2 hours later, I now have 1268 hrs 31 min. I noticed while it was running CD&E, the red light in front was flashing, it was completed in about 20 min.
__________________
Series 2 (80 hrs,PLS, Retired)
TiVo HD 1TB (157 HD Hrs, PLS, "S3HD")
Roamio, Oh Roamio!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : 07-02-2013 at 08:11 PM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #9598
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,399
The WinMFS "optimized layout" has nothing to do with 512 versus 4k.

If you look at a Series 1 partition map, all the MFS media partitions are at the end of the drive after everything else.

Starting with the S2s, they moved one of the media partitions to the front, right behind the partition map, so that when the heads were over the operating system partitions, or the swap or whatever, they were in the middle and could get to either media partition by traveling only over half of the disk instead of all the way from front to back.

That's the "optimized layout", which you probably don't want to use on a Series 1 for fear of confusing it, and do want to use on everything newer, but like I say, it has nothing to do with sector size.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:56 AM   #9599
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cox Cable Market, NV
Posts: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
The WinMFS "optimized layout" has nothing to do with 512 versus 4k.
If you look at a Series 1 partition map, all the MFS media partitions are at the end of the drive after everything else.
Starting with the S2s, they moved one of the media partitions to the front, right behind the partition map, so that when the heads were over the operating system partitions, or the swap or whatever, they were in the middle and could get to either media partition by traveling only over half of the disk instead of all the way from front to back.
That's the "optimized layout", which you probably don't want to use on a Series 1 for fear of confusing it, and do want to use on everything newer, but like I say, it has nothing to do with sector size.
Was this in response to somebody in particular? You didn't quote anybody.

I'm fully aware that a TiVo WinMFS "optimized partition layout" has nothing to do with 4K/512e alignment. I'd still like to see upgrade options that provide both types of "optimizations".

Some drive and software companies interchange the terms "aligned" and "optimized", when referring to the 4K/512e partition alignment. The use of the term "optimized" really only causes confusion with TiVo models that can be cloned/copied, and/or expanded, with WinMFS and when the matter of the drive sizes available at the time WinMFS was released, which were hard 512 byte sector size, is factored in.

AFAIK, WinMFS really lays out the partitions for a S2, un-optimized, or optimized, and just happens to also work with S3/HD units, which is why it tends to mess up the partitions, no matter what method of layout you choose, and "optimized" may really only be so, if you are using it on a S2 unit.

Like others have said, it's best to use DD, DD_RESCUE, JMFS, or other equivalent sector-by-sector cloning/copying utility, then use MFSadd to add the extra space. That way, WinMFS will leave the stock partitions alone.

AFAIK, using WinMFS on a S3/HD TiVo, is much like how you can use JMFS on a S3/HD, but it was designed for a Premiere (kind of reverse interoperability factor, though).

EDIT/ADD: I realized after typing this all out, that the S3 has some differences and can not always be lumped in with HD units, like I did repeatedly by saying "S3/HD". Example: JMFS does not recognize a S3 drive, but does recognize a HD drive, as being a TiVo drive, allowing you to use the guided menus of JMFS. With the S3, you'd have to drop to command line, and do it the non-menu guided way, with dd_rescue. I know there's some tricks that have been discovered to do things with S3 drives, that were thought impossible. But, all I know is that one of them involves intimate knowledge, and a tool called "iBored".

Last edited by nooneuknow : 07-05-2013 at 09:08 AM. Reason: clarification
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #9600
wood252ota
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 35
I have a tivo HD with a wd10evds upgrade. The drive is starting to fail, so I'm about to replace it with a wd10eurx. I would like to preserve my programs on the wd10evds. After reading through this thread, I'm confused if I should use winMFS or jmfs. I thought winMFS was for HD's and jmfs was for Premieres. At least that is the way I've been doing it when I upgrade my HD and Premiere Tivos. Is winMFS still the way to go with a HD ?
Thanks for the help
wood252ota is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |