TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Naked and Afraid" 2013 season thread

Series premier, but listed as episode 4.

I dunno, it was worth watching but I'm not sure how it'll keep interest week to week. We learned years ago on Survivor that starving people are boring and the fact that they could show us 21 days in an hour show sort of points that out. The guy lost 45 pounds and the girl 20-something, they need to put these people down in a spot with more accessible food!

There were a couple humorous moments. I'll give it another week.

Also, there's an uncensored version of it showing Sunday night right before the second ep airs.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
philw1776

Thought the guy whined far more than the girl. He was the one with PMS. Surprised they didn't try to make weapons like a simple throwing stick. Screw the monkeys. That said I could never do this. Tougher by far than I.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
kar74
hi.

I liked it and will probably do a season pass until I get sick of it. The guy was definitely crabbier than the hippy chic. He was bitter going in, though. I felt bad that she was so proud for getting that turtle after burning the shelter...only to get food poisoning for a few days. I can't imagine being that sick in the middle of nowhere. At least it wasn't the cranky guy who ended up sick. He wouldn't have ever let her live that down. I'm surprised he let the shelter fire roll off his back so easily.

ETA: I haven't looked at how the guide listed it, but it seemed like I had missed something since they started off the show talking about the snake that bit their executive producer (and it was a NASTY bite!).
kar74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I got a chuckle at how wounded he was when she said his snake was small. He definitely wasn't a strong social guy, and admitted it pretty much from the start.

But, both of them toughed it out and I think that hug at the end was pretty heartfelt.

Reckon the video/sound team had a modern tent and supplies? Salt in the wound for the naked sufferers.

meh
Old 06-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
Waldorf
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
Also, there's an uncensored version of it showing Sunday night right before the second ep airs.
Will this always be the case? If so, I may change my season pass to manually record that time slot. I'm far more annoyed by bleeps and blurs than I would be just seeing it uncensored regardless of attractiveness of individuals.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldorf View Post
Will this always be the case? If so, I may change my season pass to manually record that time slot. I'm far more annoyed by bleeps and blurs than I would be just seeing it uncensored regardless of attractiveness of individuals.
You've been pranked
Old 06-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
Don't know. My TiVo shows it airing twice, once before and once right after the new episode. It doesn't show it for the following Sunday, yet anyway. It lists as a distinct show, so you can just set another Season Pass.

meh
Old 06-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
Azlen

Here's an article that clams the show is fake.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...wers-told.html

I guess there are degrees of fake. Not disclosing everything that happened is different than if they hired actors to pretend they were survivalists and they slept in their trailers at night.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #9
lambertman
How'd I get this old

If the crew had been instructed to intervene in the case of a medical emergency (which was stated in the outset), then all this "he almost died in the fire" business was utter malarkey.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
sieglinde

Not too bad of a fakery but I am giving it another episode because it was kind of boring. I am looking at the uncensored version but this is still basic cable so they may show the broken toes or the IVs
Old 06-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #11
Hank
AC•FTW

Don't you think the "one personal item" is always going to be some sort of blade/knife and a fire-starter?

Try my new
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:55 AM   #12
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Note: I'm going to ask the mods to change the title of this thread to be a season thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Don't you think the "one personal item" is always going to be some sort of blade/knife and a fire-starter?
Guess not, but it made sense in that environment to have a pot for boiling water. I'd have brought a larger one, though.

I enjoyed this ep more than the first (fourth) one. Too bad they didn't make their shoes on the first day before they even started walking! I wonder if the people last week couldn't have done the same if they'd thought of it?

The girl (I'm never going to remember names of people who are only on once) catching the catfish by sitting in the mudhole was downright cringe-worthy, but at that level of hunger I'm sure it was worth it. Still...

Oh, the "Uncensored" repeat of last week was indeed different, but in no way uncensored. They added a bunch of pop-up factoid boxes telling about this and that. Supposedly there was some added footage, but I only watched the first 5-ish minutes of it so can't comment.

Season Pass kept, for now.

meh
Old 07-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #13
Goober96

How can they call that "uncensored" when it is still censored? False advertising.
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #14
sieglinde

I skimmed through the entire thing and did not notice extra footage. The factoids did not say anything about the broken toe or the IV
Old 07-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #15
philw1776

I think it's hilarious here seeing all the folks getting panties in a bunch over the "uncensored" show.

One thing I observed is that it looks like contestants who are normally quite fit outdoorsey types wisely came in extra heavy so they'd have some body fat to live off during the 3 week ordeal.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #16
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
I skimmed through the entire thing and did not notice extra footage. The factoids did not say anything about the broken toe or the IV
There were a few scenes that had a "bonus footage" tag on the screen that I did not remember from last week.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #17
Goober96

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
I think it's hilarious here seeing all the folks getting panties in a bunch over the "uncensored" show.
I don't have bunched panties but when something is advertised as "uncensored" and then everything is still censored I would just like to know what their definition of "uncensored" is. If they wanted to air a "bonus" episode with comments and extended scenes, call it something else but it ain't "uncensored."
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #18
philw1776

As I said way back in this thread before the so-called uncensored show aired, "You've been pranked."

I still find it hilarious that even after that folks actually expected, you know...
Old 07-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #19
Waldorf
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
You've been pranked
Indeed I have. Discovery and I have differing definitions of "uncensored".
Old 07-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #20
2004raptor

Thank heavens it isn't uncensored.
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #21
Waldorf
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004raptor View Post
Thank heavens it isn't uncensored.
Since it was on Discovery and there's no real prize involved, I was hoping for a more documentary style approach than what we're getting which is a few blurs away from something they'd show on CBS. I was also looking forward to modern man's knowledge vs primitive man's circumstances with regards to things like hunting wild game which hasn't really played out.

Fans of the genre - of Survivor Man, Man vs Wild, etc. are they all fully clothed with a survival kit, tools, production crew and such? Just wondering which (if any) offer more of a "pure" experience. Naked Castaway looked promising, but last night's showing was a repeat of the Grand Canyon tightrope walker guy.

Last edited by Waldorf : 07-01-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Waldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #22
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

I've enjoyed both episodes. Crazy what they put themselves through for no cash prize. The girl in the 2nd episode lost so much weight, she looked so skinny at the end.
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #23
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

The girl in the second episode gave up on the 'naked' part of the show pretty early on in the episode. I guess making clothes wasn't prohibited.

I would have done the show, but never without *shoes or sunscreen*! OUCH!
TiVo'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #24
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
I've enjoyed both episodes. Crazy what they put themselves through for no cash prize. The girl in the 2nd episode lost so much weight, she looked so skinny at the end.
No cash prize but when you look at these folks resumes, being on this show will help them rake in bucks in their chosen careers as an adventure guide etc. Street cred.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #25
Hank
AC•FTW

I just ran through the "punk'd" version. If you FF through it, there's a brown "Extended Scene" box in the top left corner you can stop on and watch. Besides that, there are a few "pop up video" like fact boxes, along with dozens of stupid tweets from people. Those I just ignored and watched the extended scenes. You're not really missing much.

Try my new
Old 07-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #26
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Fans of the genre - of Survivor Man, Man vs Wild, etc. are they all fully clothed with a survival kit, tools, production crew and such? Just wondering which (if any) offer more of a "pure" experience. Naked Castaway looked promising, but last night's showing was a repeat of the Grand Canyon tightrope walker guy.
Naked Castaway is excellent. It's as pure survival as you can get. Like Survivorman the host is alone and does all his own filming. However, he beats even Les Stroud by being dumped on a deserted island totally naked. He doesn't even get the "personal item" they're allowed on Naked and Afraid. I highly recommend it.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:34 PM   #27
philw1776

I now see how our species has survived. Females really git er done with the survival stuff. Amazing.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:33 AM   #28
Hank
AC•FTW

I think they should rename the series: Will they #@<%?

Try my new
Old 07-08-2013, 06:57 AM   #29
2004raptor

I felt sorry for the guy with the sunburn. I've had one about 1/4 as bad as his and I almost lost it. And I had access to pharmacies and other modern conveniences.
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #30
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004raptor View Post
I felt sorry for the guy with the sunburn. I've had one about 1/4 as bad as his and I almost lost it. And I had access to pharmacies and other modern conveniences.
I'm a light skinned easily burned red head. From the 1st show on I was thinking I'd have zero chance surviving as I burn in minutes. This particular episode was a cringe worthy nightmare for me to watch. A Bill Clinton style "Ah feel your pain" experience.

Can't believe that the guy just drank that water though. The 21 days had to be a humbling learning experience.