Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-01-2013, 06:41 AM   #91
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
Yebbut I'm not often in the mood to watch classless people trash talk.
Let me decide who to love and who to hate without being so transparent about who the "villain" is 'supposed' to be.

I swear, most of television's edit monkeys need to take a step back.
The trend is old already.
The second half of the episode, which didn't really have much Krissy in it, was still enjoyable.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #92
LlamaLarry

I preferred having the three judges excuse people from the elimination competition rather than the team leader.

Other than Lynn being a sweaty, sweaty man with poor food safety skills (seriously, wipe your sweaty head and then use the same towel to wipe a plate and dripping sweat right onto the plates?!?) was plating really the hold up on the blue team? They didn't really show any of the other stations falling behind (IIRC) but they also did not show anyone other than James perhaps trying to help get the plates finished up.

Like others have said above, I like the home cook angle and not sure I am down with the Hells Kitchen or large event catering platforms. Of course it will look like a CF, they've never worked in a kitchen brigade before.
LlamaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #93
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
Yebbut I'm not often in the mood to watch classless people trash talk.
Let me decide who to love and who to hate without being so transparent about who the "villain" is 'supposed' to be.

I swear, most of television's edit monkeys need to take a step back.
The trend is old already.
I'm with Toni on this.

Furthermore, and perhaps I'm in the minority, I think that the contest is really important to some of these people. It's a chance for them to get into something they love but have not been able to avail themselves of an opportunity to get there. This show gives them that opportunity.

To have crap like Krissi, who is a disgusting pig (having nothing to do with her weight) and bigot, getting attention and all the other drama, for me anyway, is just beneath what I thought this particular show was.

But, hey, I pretty much watch all of Ramsay's shows and I get that he seems to thrive on the drama aspect. I really thought this show was going to be different. It sure seemed to start out that way.

I'm a grown up. I don't need to see an adversary in everything I watch. This isn't Dexter. If it were, however, I'd be rooting for him to get the kill room ready for Krissi. PLEASE!
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #94
d-dub
Jami's Gameboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LlamaLarry View Post
I preferred having the three judges excuse people from the elimination competition rather than the team leader.

Other than Lynn being a sweaty, sweaty man with poor food safety skills (seriously, wipe your sweaty head and then use the same towel to wipe a plate and dripping sweat right onto the plates?!?) was plating really the hold up on the blue team? They didn't really show any of the other stations falling behind (IIRC) but they also did not show anyone other than James perhaps trying to help get the plates finished up.

Like others have said above, I like the home cook angle and not sure I am down with the Hells Kitchen or large event catering platforms. Of course it will look like a CF, they've never worked in a kitchen brigade before.
I have to say, though, that the idea of taking a home cook, putting him/her through a cooking contest that lasts probably 3 weeks or so in real life, and calling the winner "Master Chef" is pretty ridiculous. Although hardly the most ridiculous aspect of this show

Now with improved joystick action!
World's Luckiest Guy (TM)

-- David --
d-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #95
Ment

Ramsey and the others have offered a few homecooks a place in their kitchens after they were dismissed, does anyone know if they ever took them up on the offers?
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #96
LlamaLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-dub View Post
I have to say, though, that the idea of taking a home cook, putting him/her through a cooking contest that lasts probably 3 weeks or so in real life, and calling the winner "Master Chef" is pretty ridiculous. Although hardly the most ridiculous aspect of this show
Yeah, I get that, but at least in a Hell's Kitchen/Top Chef arrangement you're working with people that are used to working in a kitchen and having to collaborate on getting a dish out.

Isn't there a show on Food Network called "America's Best Home Cooks"? Do they also follow this same format as MasterChef or is it more like "American Baking Competition" where the bakers work individually on dishes and (at least so far) are not forced to try and work together with arbitrary teammates and/or large scale catering?

This is my first season of MasterChef and I don't know that I connect with the amalgam of "Chopped" + "Hell's Kitchen" + "Top Chef 'Restaurant Wars episodes'" with home cooks.

Note to self: Why do I watch so many cooking shows?
Old 07-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #97
d-dub
Jami's Gameboy

Quote:
Yeah, I get that, but at least in a Hell's Kitchen/Top Chef arrangement you're working with people that are used to working in a kitchen and having to collaborate on getting a dish out.

Isn't there a show on Food Network called "America's Best Home Cooks"? Do they also follow this same format as MasterChef or is it more like "American Baking Competition" where the bakers work individually on dishes and (at least so far) are not forced to try and work together with arbitrary teammates and/or large scale catering?

This is my first season of MasterChef and I don't know that I connect with the amalgam of "Chopped" + "Hell's Kitchen" + "Top Chef 'Restaurant Wars episodes'" with home cooks.

Note to self: Why do I watch so many cooking shows?
"Worst Cook in Amarica" is a different format... it's two teams, each headed by a Food Network Chef. Each week, one person is eliminated from each team until there is one person left on each, who then compete head to head preparing a meal for a panel of culinary bigwigs. The winning head Chef gets bragging rights... I don't remember what the winning cook gets.

I think it's a fun show, since the FN chefs are working to educate their tieam and teach the proper techniques, etc. The drama revolves almost entirely around the horrible things the cooks make/do.

Now with improved joystick action!
World's Luckiest Guy (TM)

-- David --
d-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #98
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

When you think that all the people on these shows have been through several stages of selection, it makes me wonder what the rejects are like!

I, too, watch a lot of cooking shows - Chopped, Restaurant Impossible, Food Network Star and some of the hidden camera (more obviously hugely staged) shows too.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #99
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
The second half of the episode, which didn't really have much Krissy in it, was still enjoyable.
But not as good as when she is in it. She is easily my favorite character this season.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #100
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Noooo! Not Lynn.

But that was a pathetic dish.

Could Natasha eye roll anymore?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #101
dthmj
Hinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
Noooo! Not Lynn.

But that was a pathetic dish.

Could Natasha eye roll anymore?

That dish looked disgusting.

I'm over Natasha and Krissy - they both need to go home.

But I love Luca - I know he won't win, but I think he's just adorable (and I'll forgive his love for the Yankees).

I'm thinking the front runner is Jessie or Jordan.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Gaming Blog

- My brand new personal blog!
dthmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #102
Ruth
Now with toddler

Krissi just gets more and more ugly each episode. I can't believe she was bragging on national television about how she used to bully and assault other girls in high school.

WTF was that thing that Lynn made?! I can't imagine a dessert looking more unappetizing.

I know Bri is a vegetarian, but I don't understand why she hasn't practiced cooking some meat in preparation for being on the show. She must have known that she'd be required to cook animal proteins. Why didn't she practice cooking some chicken breasts at home before coming on the show? Even if she couldn't taste her work, she could at least learn how long to cook chicken to ensure that it is cooked through. And probably she knows a meat-eater who would taste-test for her. I just don't get why you wouldn't do the most basic preparation for a show like this. It's like people who go on the Amazing Race and don't bother to learn to drive stick or swim beforehand. I just don't understand it.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #103
Zephyr

You can't be a good cook unless you taste/smell the food. Blind (and assisted) sure, but Bri will go when the script calls for it because there will be a "If only you tasted it..." decision moment.

I think until/unless the menu goes to lot's of fried and baked, niether of which can be done easily on a yacht, the blond should do well. She is regularly charged with cooking with fresh food obtained last minute and easily delivered dock side up to the capacity of her passenger count plus crew. It's a daily challenge depending on the port and the market.
Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #104
Squeak
An Inert Gas

The All Star game was BS. Filming ended long ago. So those 5 go to the game next week eve after filming is over? Possible, yes, but seems odd.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #105
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Anyone else really hoping Krissi would actually take a swing at Bri so that the producers would have to step in and kick her ass out? Or was that just me?

sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #106
LlamaLarry

I actually was worried for Bri in the wine room, Krissy does not look like the powered keg I'm willing poke with my torch.

Lynn's dessert really was about the least appetizing thing I have seen on a TV cooking show. Surely there is some back story about a failed first attempt that resulted in that bloody puss cowpile.

I do have to say that I really enjoyed the surfer voting tease that prompted Krissy's "I've never been on a winning team before!" bit.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #107
dthmj
Hinky

Maybe I missed it - but I don't know why the losing team's food was bad. They all seemed to rave about the sauce, and they seemed to be serving up pretty fast except towards the end - but the other team had serious serving problems up front and the sauce was not as good.

- Gaming Blog

Old 07-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #108
Cearbhaill
I was provoked

Quote:
Lynn's dessert really was about the least appetizing thing I have seen on a TV cooking show. Surely there is some back story about a failed first attempt that resulted in that bloody puss cowpile.
On the one hand I was sorry to see him go but on the other I am relieved at no longer having to worry about his sweat dripping into the food.

As far as being worried for Bri, I was not. She shut Krissy up pretty effectively (she's a bully and bullies always cave when confronted by someone unafraid), and IMO the crew would have stepped in had Krissy gotten physical. I suspect that Bri felt it worth a hit or two to have Krissy tossed out and I also think like sushikitten that she would be eliminated if she hit anyone.

Natasha annoys me.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #109
Ruth
Now with toddler

I only got one hour this week. Did I miss something or is that all that aired?

How is Luca still skating by? I noticed that his sausage exploded in the mystery box challenge.

Happy to see Bri win something. I know there is no chance she will win, but I am rooting for her as an underdog.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #110
lambertman
How'd I get this old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
I only got one hour this week. Did I miss something or is that all that aired?
That's all. Just 1 hour per week until 8/28.

and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #111
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
That's all. Just 1 hour per week until 8/28.
Technically, it's two hours, but the first hour is just a repeat of the previous week's second hour.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:18 AM   #112
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Funny. I knew who was going home quite early in this episode. I'm not sure why, but my mind just said "Bethy's going home tonight" before the Elimination Challenge even started!
Old 07-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #113
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
The All Star game was BS. Filming ended long ago. So those 5 go to the game next week eve after filming is over? Possible, yes, but seems odd.
I was wondering about that. I thought maybe they had caught up close to real-time after they mentioned those tickets. If all filming was done a while ago I wonder why they made an effort to make it look like it was going on this Summer?

When it was recorded certainly would not make me any more or any less likely to watch it.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #114
dthmj
Hinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I was wondering about that. I thought maybe they had caught up close to real-time after they mentioned those tickets. If all filming was done a while ago I wonder why they made an effort to make it look like it was going on this Summer?

When it was recorded certainly would not make me any more or any less likely to watch it.
Marketing.

The All Star game was shown on Fox - they were just pimping their own broadcast event.

- Gaming Blog

Old 07-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #115
Squeak
An Inert Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthmj View Post
Marketing.

The All Star game was shown on Fox - they were just pimping their own broadcast event.
This. All it was was co-marketing. Which is why it was BS in my mind.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:26 AM   #116
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

I don't see the hate. Many shows are recorded in advance and often include seasonal elements - like Christmas, Thanksgiving, Super Bowl and much more, so how is this any different?

It's to be expected that a network will plug upcoming events like this, so I just see it as normal!

Anyway, to this week's episode. Am I the only one who wants to see Krissi go down in flames in a huge way?

I was sorry to see Bri go, but I couldn't see a vegetarian succeed in a general cooking competition. I'm sure she's great with veggies and she's shown a fairly deft touch with the meat protiens she's had to work with, but not being able to taste her food must be a major disadvantage in a contest like this.

Krissi is there because of luck and a moderate ability to create flavor - and just not being quite bad enough. With the numbers thinning, it's only a matter of time. I would doubt the producers would want someone like that winning and being a spokesperson for the show.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #117
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
Krissi is there because of luck and a moderate ability to create flavor - and just not being quite bad enough. With the numbers thinning, it's only a matter of time. I would doubt the producers would want someone like that winning and being a spokesperson for the show.
Unless they throw something crazy, Jordan/Jessie/Eddie are the top 3 at this point. Krissy/Luca are next out. Natasha/James could go into either group, depending on how the producers want to amp the drama.

Krissy appears to be a great home cook. I would definitely enjoy the meals she makes. But she is a world-class a-hole, and there is almost zero chance she wins.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:06 AM   #118
late for dinner
Always Hungry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
Krissy appears to be a great home cook. I would definitely enjoy the meals she makes. But she is a world-class a-hole, and there is almost zero chance she wins.
If she stuck around to eat with me then no I would not enjoy her food.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #119
jamesl

what was the outcome of her racist tweets ?

last I heard, she was supposed to have gone on a radio show and explained it
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #120
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
I don't see the hate. Many shows are recorded in advance and often include seasonal elements - like Christmas, Thanksgiving, Super Bowl and much more, so how is this any different?

It's to be expected that a network will plug upcoming events like this, so I just see it as normal!

Anyway, to this week's episode. Am I the only one who wants to see Krissi go down in flames in a huge way?

I was sorry to see Bri go, but I couldn't see a vegetarian succeed in a general cooking competition. I'm sure she's great with veggies and she's shown a fairly deft touch with the meat protiens she's had to work with, but not being able to taste her food must be a major disadvantage in a contest like this.

If a Blind woman can win the competition I could see a vegetarian being able to win it too. Of course that isn't going to be the case. But for me, I would like to see Krissi in the final two.