TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-30-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
jdp

Desktop Plus

Was running Desktop Plus 2.8.3 on Windows 7. Hard drive failure. The only place I had the program files stored was the failed hard drive. I can find my key in my account but don't have the download files. Chat with TiVo online indicates that I have to buy a new copy for $16.99. Principle of the thing is just wrong. Any ideas on how to get the program files that I can activate with my paid key?
jdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #2
SNJpage1

Ive never had to buy another copy. I just download the free version and then unlock it to get the Plus.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:02 AM   #3
ggieseke

http://assets.tivo.com/assets/exe/ti...sktop2.8.3.exe
ggieseke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
Thos19

ggieske,

Is that the free version (that is no longer offered on tivo.com), or the plus version?
Thos19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

Unless they change something in the future there is only one version. The only difference for Plus is you get a key that when entered into the program unlocks the extra features. You use the same installer whether you want free or Plus.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
jhilla

Hide n' Seek and then install for now.

So technically the download link is hidden, but still available. That is unless that address see's a peak in use and then Tivo hides the file again. Knowing them it will require some kind of password for approval to download shortly.
jhilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

They can't really do that. They have to have a way for paying customers to redownload the installer if they get a new PC, etc... Unless they do a whole log-in license system like Norton they'll have to have a public download link.

The main reason they got rid of the free version is not to make more money but because Windows 8 does not include an MPEG-2 decoder by default. So people installing the free version were not guaranteed to be able to play .tivo files on their PC. The Plus version includes a MPEG-2 decoder so with it they can guarantee files will play. It's more of a support decision then anything else.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:54 AM   #8
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thos19 View Post
ggieske,

Is that the free version (that is no longer offered on tivo.com), or the plus version?
It's the same URL and the same free version it has always been. So far they have never actually removed any of the Desktop files and I can go back at least as far as 2.51.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
MrFSU

Latest version?

Is that 2.8.3 the latest version? I'm trying to reinstall (have a key for desktop plus I bought back in 2008) and couldn't fine anywhere on tivo's website to download the latest version without actually buying it!
MrFSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
Thos19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
They can't really do that. They have to have a way for paying customers to redownload the installer if they get a new PC, etc... Unless they do a whole log-in license system like Norton they'll have to have a public download link.

The main reason they got rid of the free version is not to make more money but because Windows 8 does not include an MPEG-2 decoder by default. So people installing the free version were not guaranteed to be able to play .tivo files on their PC. The Plus version includes a MPEG-2 decoder so with it they can guarantee files will play. It's more of a support decision then anything else.
Is there a (free) Mpeg-2 decoder that can be downloaded to a PC with Windows 8 ? I recently bought a PC (which is why I need to download/install Tivo Desktop again) with Windows 8 pre-loaded. I am debating whether to use the O/S or start over with Windows 7 Pro.
Thos19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #11
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdp View Post
Was running Desktop Plus 2.8.3 on Windows 7. Hard drive failure. The only place I had the program files stored was the failed hard drive. I can find my key in my account but don't have the download files. Chat with TiVo online indicates that I have to buy a new copy for $16.99. Principle of the thing is just wrong. Any ideas on how to get the program files that I can activate with my paid key?
I purchased a license as soon as you could purchases a license (for Pro). However, that was before they emailed the key, as well as before it went into their computer system which would allow them to the see you bought a key, as well as you being able to see it from your own TiVo account.

As you may have guessed, I lost the printout of the key, and the computer it was installed on, where I could've re-obtained the key, suffered a fatal hard drive self-destruct.

Due to this, they forced me to purchases a new key (license).

Now, I have an email, with my key, and I can get it through the TiVo website, when logged in.

I was supposed to get accredit back for the new license key purchase, but am still waiting for it to post to my debit card.

EDIT/ADD: I received the credit back, after a few days.
END of EDIT.

This was my ONLY option, according to the multiple CSRs I spoke with, chatted with, and emailed between.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 07-02-2013 at 09:24 PM. Reason: more info
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #12
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFSU View Post
Is that 2.8.3 the latest version? I'm trying to reinstall (have a key for desktop plus I bought back in 2008) and couldn't fine anywhere on tivo's website to download the latest version without actually buying it!
Yes.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #13
jhilla

I saved our key as a .txt file on a USB drive plus it's secured on Skydrive cloud as an extra backup. Including a recent copy of TivoDesktop.exe
jhilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thos19 View Post
Is there a (free) Mpeg-2 decoder that can be downloaded to a PC with Windows 8 ? I recently bought a PC (which is why I need to download/install Tivo Desktop again) with Windows 8 pre-loaded. I am debating whether to use the O/S or start over with Windows 7 Pro.
There are codec packs with free MPEG-2 decoders.

If you're going to stick with Win8 I highly recommend Start8 and ModernMix by StarDock. They're only $5/ea and they significantly improve the Win8 experience. Start8 adds a Win7 style start menu and allows you to boot directly to the Desktop. ModernMix allows you to run Metro style apps in standard windows and put icons for them on your desktop or in the Start menu. Makes the transition from Win7 to Win8 a lot smoother.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:56 AM   #15
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
There are codec packs with free MPEG-2 decoders.

If you're going to stick with Win8 I highly recommend Start8 and ModernMix by StarDock. They're only $5/ea and they significantly improve the Win8 experience. Start8 adds a Win7 style start menu and allows you to boot directly to the Desktop. ModernMix allows you to run Metro style apps in standard windows and put icons for them on your desktop or in the Start menu. Makes the transition from Win7 to Win8 a lot smoother.
ModernMix is sheer genius. And right now there's a bundle of Start8 and ModernMix, so I only paid $7.99 for the pair.

Thanks very much!
Old 07-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #16
bobfrank

I had to replace my laptop shortly after Win8 launch. Unfortunately it was too far after the launch for me to find a Win7 machine. I was close to buying a new Win 7 license because I couldn't stand the Metro/Modern interface.

Fortunately being a long time Stardock cusomer (OS2 days) I tried Start8 and ModernMix. Wow, great products.

Now I have the best of Win7 and Win8 on one machine.

Bob
bobfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #17
relrobber
Seagoing TiVo'er

HP still offers some Win7 laptops. I almost bought one this week, but ended up going w/ Win8.
relrobber is offline   Reply With Quote