TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
vip007

HDMI (receiver) causes Tivo reboot?

I experienced something that I consider rather odd:

My Tivo (Elite) suddenly started to misbehave and apparently not respond to remote commands. It then rebooted and kept rebooting. So I called Tivo tech support and they decided the unit would need to be replaced.

Luckily, I had an old Tivo HD so I plugged it in and this unit also kept rebooting. Long story short, I finally linked this to the HDMI ports on my receiver. For some reason, connecting to any receiver HDMI would cause Tivos to constantly reboot. A reboot of the receiver fixed the issue.

I again called Tivo to cancel replacement request and also asked tech support why HDMI would cause reboots. Got a bunch of nonsense answers such as "Well, HDMI is a good protocol but you need to check your power strip etc"

Does anyone know why HDMI would be causing Tivo reboots? It was certainly not affecting other HDMI connected devices (e.g., a BluRay player).
vip007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

It might be your cable input coax, it might be coming in too hot (strong). Try unplugging temporarily and see if the reboots stop. If it does, you will need some attenuators to bring the signal down enough for the Tivo to handle.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
mr.unnatural

My older S2 Tivos used to reboot if I connected or disconnected the USB ethernet adapter while it was powered on. It sounds like you're getting the same kind of response when connecting or disconnecting the HDMI cable.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #4
vip007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
My older S2 Tivos used to reboot if I connected or disconnected the USB ethernet adapter while it was powered on. It sounds like you're getting the same kind of response when connecting or disconnecting the HDMI cable.
Let me try to clarify:

1) The reboot was not linked to coax/cable signal.

2) As for HDMI, it was also not linked to the action of connecting or disconnecting the HDMI cable (so to say). This was a constant connection (and a constant reboot.) Clearly, some signal was being passed from my receiver (Denon AVR-2112CI) through HDMI to Tivos that Tivos did not like. Maybe the ground was not good?
vip007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vip007 View Post
I experienced something that I consider rather odd:

My Tivo (Elite) suddenly started to misbehave and apparently not respond to remote commands. It then rebooted and kept rebooting. So I called Tivo tech support and they decided the unit would need to be replaced.

Luckily, I had an old Tivo HD so I plugged it in and this unit also kept rebooting. Long story short, I finally linked this to the HDMI ports on my receiver. For some reason, connecting to any receiver HDMI would cause Tivos to constantly reboot. A reboot of the receiver fixed the issue.

I again called Tivo to cancel replacement request and also asked tech support why HDMI would cause reboots. Got a bunch of nonsense answers such as "Well, HDMI is a good protocol but you need to check your power strip etc"

Does anyone know why HDMI would be causing Tivo reboots? It was certainly not affecting other HDMI connected devices (e.g., a BluRay player).
HDMI is a digital protocol, like any other computer protocol. If your receiver, which is really a computer, starts sending bogus items during the handshake protocols, it can cause a crash if the tivo doesnt error check the protocol data received.

If you think of everything now as a computer, with firmware, it all makes sense.

My biggest problem with stuff like this is that if you tell them in customer service (any company, not just Tivo), how to fix it or what causes it, they do not tell the people upstairs. And alot more people end up hurting
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote