TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
Kyoootee

Tivo Stream with Ethernet Switch?

Can A Tivo Stream be attached to my network with an Ethernet Switch. And if so, would 100mbps transfer rate be sufficient enough?
Kyoootee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yes and yes. A Stream can actually be attached anywhere on your network. It does NOT have to be anywhere near the TiVo itself.

Basically what a Stream does is it acts like another TiVo and starts an MRV stream, it then intercepts that, transcodes it to H.264 and passes it along to the iPad. It doesn't care where on your network it's located as long as it can talk to the source TiVo and the iPad.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
Kyoootee

I have the Stream on an Ethernet switch. but can not get past step 4 in the setup. "problem testing stream" thought the switch was the problem!
Old 06-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

Probably not. You should look at your router and see if the Stream has picked up an IP address. If it has then open your browser and go to...

http://<stream IP>:49152/sysinfo

You should get a web page with some system information about the stream. If you can't access that then pull the plug on the stream and wait for it to reboot then try again.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
Kyoootee

I am being told by a Tivo agent that it needs to be hook directly to the router. switches are not a supported method of connection
Old 06-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
Philmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoootee View Post
I am being told by a Tivo agent that it needs to be hook directly to the router. switches are not a supported method of connection
That person is wrong...
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #7
Mike1973

I've got mine on a switch and it works fine. I did have a problem with the initial setup, not working on step 4. I went into the settings and forced a call and it downloaded an update. After a reboot, it worked fine.
Mike1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #8
Kyoootee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1973 View Post
I've got mine on a switch and it works fine. I did have a problem with the initial setup, not working on step 4. I went into the settings and forced a call and it downloaded an update. After a reboot, it worked fine.
you are referring to the actual Tivo premiere and force a call to update correct?
Old 06-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #9
Kyoootee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Probably not. You should look at your router and see if the Stream has picked up an IP address. If it has then open your browser and go to...

http://<stream IP>:49152/sysinfo

You should get a web page with some system information about the stream. If you can't access that then pull the plug on the stream and wait for it to reboot then try again.
I am able to access the system info of the stream in my browser, no problem there! Now Tivo tells me my TCP ports may be blocked. I am with Verizon DSL in CA.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:49 AM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

The TCP ports it uses are all internal so they shouldn't be blocked. I guess it's possible they're being used by some other device and it's causing intefference, but that's highly unlikely. Try forcing a call on the Stream and see if it downloads an update. You can do that from the system info screen in the app or via that web page I pointed out.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:08 AM   #11
Mike1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoootee View Post
you are referring to the actual Tivo premiere and force a call to update correct?
Nope, there is an option deep in the stream menus (not sure where off the top of my head) to force a call on the stream.
Mike1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #12
Kyoootee

You Guys are Awesome!!!! I did the force call on the Stream and hooked it up to my ethernet switch and its working just fine now. The Tivo Agents were no help at all, they sending me in the totally wrong direction. I should have come here first!!

Thanks Again!!!
Old 06-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #13
shled

My Stream is running version 19.1.1-01-6
Am I even close to current?

If not, who do I have to sleep with to get it current, and how long does it take?
shled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #14
Kyoootee

Quote:
Originally Posted by shled View Post
My Stream is running version 19.1.1-01-6
Am I even close to current?

If not, who do I have to sleep with to get it current, and how long does it take?
If you are female, send me your picture and I can help you and it won't take long....just kidding

My Stream updated to 19.1.1-01-6 also! Dated Nov 12, 2012. So Looks like we have the latest version.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #15
shled

LOL, thank you, that is the same as my version.
Good to know I'm current.

If you were female, maybe
shled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #16
hazelnus111

Stream works fine connected to router with Powerline adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Yes and yes. A Stream can actually be attached anywhere on your network. It does NOT have to be anywhere near the TiVo itself.

Basically what a Stream does is it acts like another TiVo and starts an MRV stream, it then intercepts that, transcodes it to H.264 and passes it along to the iPad. It doesn't care where on your network it's located as long as it can talk to the source TiVo and the iPad.
I agree completely. I had my Premiere 4 connected to the router via Actiontec 500mbps Powerline ethernet adapter but could not get my new Stream to finish Step 4 of the setup with it connected directly to the router as instructed in the setup guide.

I then moved the Stream next to the Premiere 4 and connected them to an ethernet switch that then connected to the Powerline adapter. Worked immediately and has worked perfectly since.

Of note, we only have 1 iOS device (Ipad) in the house, so perhaps I would possibly have issues if I was trying simultaneous streams with multiple devices using this setup.
hazelnus111 is offline   Reply With Quote