TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #241
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll finish all the HD screens for the next release. Then the new one will launch complete and the old one will be finally finished.
Very wishful thinking. Based on the past, you're being too optimistic with Tivo.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #242
Dan203
Super Moderator

Probably, but a guy can hope can't he?
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #243
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Love is blind...
Old 06-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #244
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Honest question - what does finished HDUI really mean? Is the product not finished if the "settings" screens are not HDUI?

What screen do you commonly use that is still a jarring switch between HUDI and SDUI?
Hey, the HD UI is so slow (but I like the feature set), that I don't want the rest of it to slow down (MOSTLY joking) to match..

But I swear there's something I use ALL the time that does do the jarring switch.. View Upcoming or something like that? Seems to me there's at least a few "common Tivo related" (i.e. TV listing/scheduling related) things that I do very often that involve that.

I check the settings screens less often (though a few times a week usually -- yeah I check to see if it's called in successfully.. even though I have a more reliable hardwired network nowadays).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #245
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
But I swear there's something I use ALL the time that does do the jarring switch.. View Upcoming or something like that? Seems to me there's at least a few "common Tivo related" (i.e. TV listing/scheduling related) things that I do very often that involve that.
|View upcoming episodes" is definitely HDUI. Maybe it's "Find by Time" or "Find by Channel" that you're using. Those are still SDUI. Of course, anything that accesses your computer is SDUI and that may never change.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #246
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
I still vividly recall the HORRIFIC experience of taking TiVo up on their special offer for early adopters of the Premiere. They were so bad, I sent them back. I waited over a year, and found them tolerable. Now, as they are on the verge of being considered end-of-life, as TiVo releases new generations, they finally work as I feel they should have, the day they were released. I'm NOT going to make the same mistake, again, and buy whatever they roll-out as their next generation. It took until the last minute before the end-of-life of the TiVo HD for that product to get MOST of it's issues resolved, and reach its potential as well. I consider this a pattern that shouldn't be ignored.

I had an excellent experience with TiVo Premiere upgrade program. I picked up eight of the TiVo Premeires at launch. I hope they do something similar for the Series 5 launch.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #247
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I had an excellent experience with TiVo Premiere upgrade program. I picked up eight of the TiVo Premeires at launch. I hope they do something similar for the Series 5 launch.
I'm not trying to pick a fight. But, do you EVER have anything but praise for TiVo? I remember you staunchly defending them back then, and every problem reported, by anybody, you'd say you didn't have any such problem.

I remember thinking you must be a TiVo rep in disguise as a customer, doing stealth PR for them. I still wonder that, from time to time... No offense intended. You just stand out as somebody who's relative screen name would, or should, be "TiVoFan #1".

EDIT/ADD: I checked the invoices for the promo w/lifetime, versus waiting and getting a year later deal w/lifetime, and it cost me HALF of what that early adopter promo was. I ended up with four LT Premieres, for the same amount as the two I had sent back. I really don't consider a promo/deal/discount on the inflated price of a just-released product, that provided more frustration, than entertainment, an excellent experience. To each their own, I guess. I'll stick with being a late-adopter, when it comes to TiVo.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 06-28-2013 at 11:53 PM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:57 AM   #248
atmuscarella

Quote:

EDIT/ADD: I checked the invoices for the promo w/lifetime, versus waiting and getting a year later deal w/lifetime, and it cost me HALF of what that early adopter promo was. I ended up with four LT Premieres, for the same amount as the two I had sent back. I really don't consider a promo/deal/discount on the inflated price of a just-released product, that provided more frustration, than entertainment, an excellent experience. To each their own, I guess. I'll stick with being a late-adopter, when it comes to TiVo.
I think you have your facts wrong. There were upgrade offers for a Premiere with lifetime at $500 or $470 from early on - just exactly when did you get one for $250? Answer never.

If you would like to see the various price points that the Premiere was offered at you can review my post - I tracked the Premiere's pricing up to the beginning of 2012.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=484973

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 06-29-2013 at 01:33 PM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:34 AM   #249
innocentfreak

He may be talking about the people who got the deal from that one online store where they ordered at the new $99 price point prior to the change and were able to get the old lifetime price of $299. This was a pricing mistake though and not a normal deal.

I know there were a few occasional really good deals on the Premiere by random online stores, but they were from a fairly unknown online store.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=454916

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #250
ncbill

A few years ago Tivo was offering $199 lifetime if you bought a Premiere from them directly.

During that campaign Premiere refurbs showed up on Woot for $60 - I bought one of those and managed to get the $199 lifetime as well.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #251
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I'm not trying to pick a fight. But, do you EVER have anything but praise for TiVo? I remember you staunchly defending them back then, and every problem reported, by anybody, you'd say you didn't have any such problem.

I remember thinking you must be a TiVo rep in disguise as a customer, doing stealth PR for them. I still wonder that, from time to time... No offense intended. You just stand out as somebody who's relative screen name would, or should, be "TiVoFan #1".

My launch Premieres(non XL) all cost me around $500 with lifetime and the 3 year extended warranty. This was after the cashback from some online program they had. I think it was Fat Wallet.

The sale of my Series 3 TiVos covered most of the cost of my launch Premieres. And the sale of four of my launch Premieres covered the cost of my two Elites. So i hope that I can sell my Elites to more than cover the cost of the S5 with extended warranty and lifetime service like I did before.
As long as it covers the cost of a new TiVo then I am happy. I will have been able to use my Elites for a while and get a new replacement without any cost to me. And the person that purchases it can get a good deal because I'm not trying to get a ton of profit.

And I have had some issues with the Premieres. I've posted about them when I've run across them. But they have all been minor. Nothing major.

All I know is the Premiere has been a much better option that what Comcast or FiOS uses around here. And if I had been using their DVRs for the last few years I would have spent alot more money than I have with TiVo. Because I own my TiVos and can sell them when finished using them. That makes the break even point happen very quickly when the re-sale value is taken into account.

Last edited by aaronwt : 06-29-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #252
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
He may be talking about the people who got the deal from that one online store where they ordered at the new $99 price point prior to the change and were able to get the old lifetime price of $299. This was a pricing mistake though and not a normal deal.

I know there were a few occasional really good deals on the Premiere by random online stores, but they were from a fairly unknown online store.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=454916
I was aware of the deals some people got from the link you posted and also of the deals some of us got in the mix up when TiVo lowered the purchase price and increased the sub costs. I was one of those lucky people who bought a early released $99 unit and was able to get the old lifetime deals that where on the table (I had a $199 offer still open so my total costs where $300 plus sales tax). But that was nothing TiVo intended on doing and you had to be in the right place at the right time to get those unintended deals so I never listed them in my thread showing pricing options. Outside of that what I listed in my thread showing TiVo pricing is what was offered.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 06-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #253
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
... So i hope that I can sell my Elites to more than cover the cost of the S5 with extended warranty and lifetime service like I did before.
As long as it covers the cost of a new TiVo then I am happy. I will have been able to use my Elites for a while and get a new replacement without any cost to me. And the person that purchases it can get a good deal because I'm not trying to get a ton of profit.
Because I own my TiVos and can sell them when finished using them. That makes the break even point happen very quickly when the re-sale value is taken into account.
I see a FEW people who are always claiming that they use their Lifetime Service TiVos to pay for the newest model, and get Lifetime Service, and it all winds up costing them nothing (or close to nothing), beyond the initial "investment".

I question the validity of how this is possible. If somebody can share the secret formulation, with supporting math, and I could prove to myself/for myself it works, that would go a long way towards shifting how I feel, and my suspicions about basically "getting something for nothing".

Telling me to list my units on eBay just isn't enough. There's something more to this whole "scheme", than that. Just because one can find TiVos listed on eBay w/LTS, for prices that could pay for the next generation, doesn't mean they are actually SELLING at those prices...
Old 06-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #254
trip1eX

I predict $500 minimum for 6 tuner model. I definitely will consider coming back if the product and price are right. And if the laggy menus disappear. I hope they ditch Flash.

Just re-jiggered my WMC setup though. Added an extender, SSd boot-up drive and wired the house with Cat6 along with some new quad-shield RG6.

Last edited by trip1eX : 06-29-2013 at 09:43 PM.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #255
atmuscarella

Quote:
I see a FEW people who are always claiming that they use their Lifetime Service TiVos to pay for the newest model, and get Lifetime Service, and it all winds up costing them nothing (or close to nothing), beyond the initial "investment".

I question the validity of how this is possible. If somebody can share the secret formulation, with supporting math, and I could prove to myself/for myself it works, that would go a long way towards shifting how I feel, and my suspicions about basically "getting something for nothing".
I don't think most people expect to actually be able to continue to move to the next units with no cost, but because of special offers to existing customers we can many times buy units for allot less than a new customer which keeps the price of used units up because for new users when they compare the price of used units to what they have to pay for new it still seems like they are saving lots of money with the used units.

Plus for some users they have been selling 2 dual tuner units and replacing them with 1, 4 tuner unit. Which is what will happen with me if they release a 4 tuner OTA unit that looks good to me.

Quote:
Telling me to list my units on eBay just isn't enough. There's something more to this whole "scheme", than that. Just because one can find TiVos listed on eBay w/LTS, for prices that could pay for the next generation, doesn't mean they are actually SELLING at those prices...
There is no need to guess what something sold for on ebay - it is simple to look up what products actual sold for so there is no question.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 06-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #256
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Plus for some users they have been selling 2 dual tuner units and replacing them with 1, 4 tuner unit. Which is what will happen with me if they release a 4 tuner OTA unit that looks good to me.
I was tempted to do that same thing, minus the OTA part, and go from Premieres to Premiere 4s. I'm glad I didn't, even though I've just been burdened with having to use Tuning Adapters now (and the upgrade could cut the number of cablecards and TAs in half for me).

From what I've been researching, TiVo, for the most part, just took the already overburdened core components of the 2-tuner, added in some extras, and used tuner chipsets that are behaving like the TiVo HD did for most of it's life, recording nothing, because the tuner failed to tune, or whatever the reason was...

It was one of the TiVo HD's final fixes, before its end-of-life designation. Ironically, I didn't have that problem, until they sent out the "fix" for it. If I could, I'd block that update, and run the prior fix-free release. Unfortunately, we aren't allowed to do that... TiVo basically told me that they were aware that a small percentage of users had the same thing happen, but the numbers weren't big enough to merit even looking into it any further, since it was isolated to small regional cable markets (even though those small markets were just isolated regions of Cox or other big names). Then began the hard-sell on the Premiere. That was TiVo's solution. I had to become a VERY squeaky wheel, in order to get them to grease things enough for me to accept that "solution".

The more I think about it, and the more history just keeps repeating itself, I'm leaning far away from any upgrading, at this time. I consider the Premiere 4 as a sort of Windows ME, or Windows Vista - not worth the "upgrade", with all the kinks/bugs outweighing the extras introduced. Just like I completely skipped Vista, after realizing it was another ME, I think I'll skip the Premiere 4 platform, and wait for what comes next, and then hold-off until at least the first major "Service Pack" update to be deployed, then weigh the pros versus cons at that time.

I'm guessing that since I'm not willing to quickly make the jump, every time TiVo releases something new, that it will make the "no, or little, cost upgrade" cycles that a few are always saying they do, not something I can do, because I'm equally leery about upgrading to every TiVo release, as I am about MS OS releases, and approach them with extreme caution.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #257
atmuscarella

Quote:
I'm guessing that since I'm not willing to quickly make the jump, every time TiVo releases something new, that it will make the "no, or little, cost upgrade" cycles that a few are always saying they do, not something I can do, because I'm equally leery about upgrading to every TiVo release, as I am about MS OS releases, and approach them with extreme caution.
Frankly I believe your concern is more than justified and a concern I also have. As an OTA only user my Premiere simple does not tune channels as well as my older Series 3 units. I can tell you that at this minute my Premiere is not receiving my local ABC channel at all and my 2 Series 3 units are showing a perfect picture. I know I have intermittent reception issues (all the units are not able to tune my PBS station at this minute) and hope to try some antenna changes to improve it (a good part of the time I have no issues). But if the next OTA unit isn't better than the Premiere I may still have to retain my Series 3 units for times like now.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 06-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #258
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
I definitely will consider coming back if the product and price are right. And if the laggy menus disappear. I hope they ditch Flash
They definitely will not be ditching Flash. But the chipset in the next unit should run the UI a lot better. If you use a Mini you'll see how much better the UI can be when running on a proper CPU. The next gen units should have a CPU even better then the Mini.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:03 PM   #259
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
They definitely will not be ditching Flash. But the chipset in the next unit should run the UI a lot better. If you use a Mini you'll see how much better the UI can be when running on a proper CPU. The next gen units should have a CPU even better then the Mini.
Agreed. TiVo is committed to Adobe's Flash Platform for TV. The cost of migrating to something else would not justify the investment at this point. I would like to see TiVo and Samsung figure out a way to share apps since Samsung is the most prominent user of Adobe AIR for TV.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #260
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Agreed. TiVo is committed to Adobe's Flash Platform for TV. The cost of migrating to something else would not justify the investment at this point. I would like to see TiVo and Samsung figure out a way to share apps since Samsung is the most prominent user of Adobe AIR for TV.
That would be nice. However I think TiVo has a slightly unique API they use to link into apps so that they can be launched from search and the selected program started directly.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #261
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

For me, i think the key is to sell the previous models soon after the new models are out. Many people don't want to try a brand new model and will still be looking for the older model.

After the new model has been out a while then the price you can get for the older model goes down. Plus if you've increased the storage capacity or have an extended warranty it also helps with the resale. I sold several of the Series 3 on ebay soon after the S4 models came out. I pocketed 80% to 90% of what the lifetime Premieres(non XL) cost me since they had also been upgraded to a larger hard drive years ago.

And I sold my two tuner S4 boxes when the Elite came out. I sold some here at tiVo Community, although I might have sold one or two on ebay, I can't remember. Since each Elite I was getting had four tuners which was replacing two, two tuner, Premieres. I wasn't trying to get an exorbitant value for them. Plus when the Elite first came out, the resale on the two tuner Premieres was higher than it is now.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #262
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
|View upcoming episodes" is definitely HDUI. Maybe it's "Find by Time" or "Find by Channel" that you're using. Those are still SDUI. Of course, anything that accesses your computer is SDUI and that may never change.

Yeah, it's find by time/find by channel, which I use ALL the time, even though I have zillions of SPs set up. (I often, not always daily, browse through prime time listings for my Favorites channels to find anything I missed.. heck, today I found one reality show premiering tonight that I want to check out.)
Old 07-02-2013, 12:33 AM   #263
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Yeah, it's find by time/find by channel, which I use ALL the time, even though I have zillions of SPs set up. (I often, not always daily, browse through prime time listings for my Favorites channels to find anything I missed.. heck, today I found one reality show premiering tonight that I want to check out.)
I just browse via the guide but I understand.

I hope you're not talking about "Siberia".

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:58 AM   #264
Dan203
Super Moderator

Wish List and Browse By Time/Channel are the only non-settings screens which are not HD. I'm really hoping the next release will upgrade those to HD. If it does then to me the HDUI will essentially be complete.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #265
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I just browse via the guide but I understand.

I hope you're not talking about "Siberia".
Heh, I only found out via reading articles online that that's a fake reality show (no pun intended).. I didn't watch my recording yet.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #266
cncb

When do we expect these to be available? I don't currently have a Tivo and I am considering getting a 2-tuner Premiere for the time being but I don't want to waste money if these will be coming out soon.
cncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #267
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncb View Post
When do we expect these to be available? I don't currently have a Tivo and I am considering getting a 2-tuner Premiere for the time being but I don't want to waste money if these will be coming out soon.
I expect September availability based on the timing of the FCC waiver request, the FCC certification on the new RF remote, the pace of sales on current Series 4 hardware, TiVo's late August earnings release, and release dates of previous boxes.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #268
poofy

Quote:
I expect September availability based on the timing of the FCC waiver request, the FCC certification on the new RF remote, the pace of sales on current Series 4 hardware, TiVo's late August earnings release, and release dates of previous boxes.

He means September 2014! Not couple of months from now.
poofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #269
Dan203
Super Moderator

Seriously though all indications point to them targeting this fall. However the Mini was suppose to hit last fall and got delayed until March of this year, so you never know if they'll actually hit the target or not
Old 07-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #270
Richard Cranium

Quote:
You also "expected" a $1.6 BILLION settlement from "MOTO alone."

What's your point?
Richard Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote