TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
waynomo
My One Time

Jeopardy: Just Noticed This

I was watching Jeopardy the other night and noticed that Alex Trebek before asking contestant to to pick a question looked down and to his left. Then I noticed this a second time. I figured he was looking for an indication of which contestant should ask the next question, but wasn't aware of an indicator.

After watching a bit more I noticed that on the bottom right (our left) of each players podium there is a little white light that lights to indicate the player who last correctly answered a question and the player who should choose the next one.

Normally it is the person who answered the last question real easy, but when returning from the first break after the player interviews and if no one answers the question correctly it's nice to have an aid.

Has this been obvious to others for a long time?
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
mattack

I don't think I knew exactly where it was, but I knew there was some sort of indictor.

Though I FF through virtually everything BUT the actual game part. I skim through the commercials since once in a while they have an 'extra' segment (usually it's right at the beginning of the commercial break, but not always), and sometimes at the beginning of a segment he corrects a previous 'question', changing scores.

The vast majority of the conversations with players? FF through, except if (1) she's hot, (2) sometimes for celebrities, (3) eventually with Ken Jennings just to figure out HOW he'd find something new to say.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
TonyD79

I believe I saw this years ago and forgot about it. Trebeck may have even mentioned it once.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
trainman
Nice to see you

The light actually used to be a bit more visible with some previous designs of the contestant podiums.

Something you don't get to see on TV, but that's very visible from the studio audience, is the light tube that goes all the way around the game board. It's turned on along with the buzzer circuitry when Alex finishes reading each clue, and then goes off when a contestant buzzes in -- many times, the contestants are fast enough that it just barely flickers.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
Waldorf
Super Duper Member

Really good showdown today -

Spoiler:
From the reactions, it seemed like all three contestants knew almost all of the answers, all three went into the final with a narrow margin, and all three got the final question correct.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:37 AM   #6
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldorf View Post
Really good showdown today -

Spoiler:
From the reactions, it seemed like all three contestants knew almost all of the answers, all three went into the final with a narrow margin, and all three got the final question correct.
Wow. That is not the show I just watched.

Spoiler:
Two of the contestants pretty much ran over the third who barely got to answer any questions. The two went into Final Jeopardy almost tied with around $20,000. Third had $6200. The third place contestant new the answer and wagered $1200. The other two wagered almost all and missed the answer. The third place contestant won.

What was surprising was how well the other two played and how knowledgeable they seemed. The question didn't even seem to be that tough. And then they lost to someone who could barely answer a question. (I am sure they knew answers. They just weren't quick enough on the button.)

I also don't recall many wrong answers. I recall one were all three missed. And there were a couple where no one tried to answer.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:39 AM   #7
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
The light actually used to be a bit more visible with some previous designs of the contestant podiums.

Something you don't get to see on TV, but that's very visible from the studio audience, is the light tube that goes all the way around the game board. It's turned on along with the buzzer circuitry when Alex finishes reading each clue, and then goes off when a contestant buzzes in -- many times, the contestants are fast enough that it just barely flickers.
Now that you mention that I seem to recall that now.

I wish they would broadcast the light tube or some simulation on the screen. It would nice to see how each is reacting.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Two of the contestants pretty much ran over the third who barely got to answer any questions. The two went into Final Jeopardy almost tied with around $20,000. Third had $6200. The third place contestant new the answer and wagered $1200. The other two wagered almost all and missed the answer. The third place contestant won.
Let's talk FJ betting strategy, AKA second place person is an idiot. Let's call them One, Two, Three.

One & Two are close in money, both $20,000+. You know One is going to bet all/most of his money. One has to make sure he wins if he gets FJ correct. Therefore Two only needs to bet enough to pass One if One misses and Two is correct. So if One has $21,000 and Two has $20,000, Two should bet $1,001. This betting strategy has the additional benefit that if you BOTH miss, Two will only drop a little while One loses his rear-end.

This is a universally accepted strategy, and has been proven to be effective over the years. There are four outcomes for FJ and One/Two--(a) both right, (b) both wrong, (c) One right, (d) Two right. It is a given that a & c will lead to Two losing. But if Two follows this betting strategy, he can win under b & d. Whereas if he doesn't he will only win under d.

So whaddaya know--"b" happened and Two lost with a stupid all-in bet. And Three ended up winning!

I'm continually amazed how little Jeopardy contestants know about betting strategy. It can make the difference between winning & losing.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

Ever notice the contestants have to give the answer in the form of a question or they don't get credit?
Old 06-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #10
trainman
Nice to see you

Some markets get both a new episode and a one-year-old rerun -- Waldorf may have been "fooled" by the rerun, which would explain why he was talking about a different episode than waynomo. (As far as I know, the new episode always airs later in the day than the rerun.)
Old 06-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #11
Waldorf
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Some markets get both a new episode and a one-year-old rerun -- Waldorf may have been "fooled" by the rerun, which would explain why he was talking about a different episode than waynomo. (As far as I know, the new episode always airs later in the day than the rerun.)
Ah, this could be it. I searched for the final jeopardy answer and found this:

http://fikklefame.com/final-jeopardy-6-5-12/

However, it took me longer than I care to admit to process the "2012" date on the post.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #12
MauriAnne
Mostly lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Let's talk FJ betting strategy, AKA second place person is an idiot. Let's call them One, Two, Three.

One & Two are close in money, both $20,000+. You know One is going to bet all/most of his money. One has to make sure he wins if he gets FJ correct. Therefore Two only needs to bet enough to pass One if One misses and Two is correct. So if One has $21,000 and Two has $20,000, Two should bet $1,001. This betting strategy has the additional benefit that if you BOTH miss, Two will only drop a little while One loses his rear-end.

This is a universally accepted strategy, and has been proven to be effective over the years. There are four outcomes for FJ and One/Two--(a) both right, (b) both wrong, (c) One right, (d) Two right. It is a given that a & c will lead to Two losing. But if Two follows this betting strategy, he can win under b & d. Whereas if he doesn't he will only win under d.

So whaddaya know--"b" happened and Two lost with a stupid all-in bet. And Three ended up winning!

I'm continually amazed how little Jeopardy contestants know about betting strategy. It can make the difference between winning & losing.
What continually surprises me is that more contestants don't bet to tie. In your example, why not bet $1000 instead of $1001? If they tie, they both come back.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #13
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriAnne View Post
What continually surprises me is that more contestants don't bet to tie. In your example, why not bet $1000 instead of $1001? If they tie, they both come back.
There was a game sometime within the last few years where two people had the same amount going into FJ, and they both bet -0-. Smart tactic, especially when you consider they supposedly couldn't discuss betting strategy before FJ.

Guaranteed to play the next day!
Old 06-06-2013, 09:47 PM   #14
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriAnne View Post
Tieing is obviously better than losing.. but if you tie, you know you're coming back against someone who's really smart. If you get a new player, you might be smarter than they are.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:28 AM   #15
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Tieing is obviously better than losing.. but if you tie, you know you're coming back against someone who's really smart. If you get a new player, you might be smarter than they are.
Or, you might not

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #16
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
Wow. That is not the show I just watched.

Spoiler:

What was surprising was how well the other two played and how knowledgeable they seemed. The question didn't even seem to be that tough. And then they lost to someone who could barely answer a question. (I am sure they knew answers. They just weren't quick enough on the button.)

I also don't recall many wrong answers. I recall one were all three missed. And there were a couple where no one tried to answer.
I rarely watch Jeopardy, but happened to see this. I think something on the DVR ended and when it went to live TV, I caught this FJ.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #17
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kablemodem View Post
Ever notice the contestants have to give the answer in the form of a question or they don't get credit?
You're joking, right?

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #18
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
You're joking, right?
$200 for putting that in the form of a question.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #19
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kablemodem View Post
Not only do they not get credit, they in fact have the value of the clue deducted from their score.

So there's a lot of potential jeopardy for the contestants.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #20
Waldorf
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Not only do they not get credit, they in fact have the value of the clue deducted from their score.

So there's a lot of potential jeopardy for the contestants.
In the second half of the show, it seems like the clue values grow somewhat. The highest natural clue value in the first half is $1,000 while in the second segment, it's.. much larger.

dead_horse.jpg
Old 06-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #21
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldorf View Post
In the second half of the show, it seems like the clue values grow somewhat. The highest natural clue value in the first half is $1,000 while in the second segment, it's.. much larger.
Maybe that's why it's called "Double Jeopardy"?
mrdbdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #22
spartanstew
Thanks 4 the Update

Quote:

This has been a frustration of mine for years. In 90% of the episodes, at least one person wagers incorrectly in FJ. Often two do it. I just don't understand it. Even in the spoilered game that Wayno posted, the third place contestant should have wagered ZERO. No reason to wager $1200 in that spot. I always thought I should approach Jeopardy about being a wagering coach for the contestants. I'll give them the wagering strategy before they go on in exchange for 5% of their winnings.

Oh, and I'm of the belief of going for the tie, not the $1 win. I'd rather play someone I know I can probably beat (the extra $1 would garner a victory) then someone random.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #23
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
And it happened again today. Here were the stakes going into FJ:

1st: $15,000
2nd: $14,800
3rd: $7,200

All 2nd needs to do is bet $200 or more. Instead he goes all in, betting almost all of his wad. And of course, 1st bets a ton, needing to stay ahead should they both get it. 3rd bets a modest amount.

All three miss, a triple stumper. 3rd ends up winning.

Another game given away. Honestly, 2nd doesn't deserve to win. If you don't understand how to bet, or make an effort to learn before you play, I have no sympathy for you.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:17 AM   #24
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanstew View Post
This has been a frustration of mine for years. In 90% of the episodes, at least one person wagers incorrectly in FJ. Often two do it. I just don't understand it. Even in the spoilered game that Wayno posted, the third place contestant should have wagered ZERO. No reason to wager $1200 in that spot. I always thought I should approach Jeopardy about being a wagering coach for the contestants. I'll give them the wagering strategy before they go on in exchange for 5% of their winnings.

Oh, and I'm of the belief of going for the tie, not the $1 win. I'd rather play someone I know I can probably beat (the extra $1 would garner a victory) then someone random.
I saw a taping about 15 years ago. The show is taped in real time till they get to Final Jeopardy. They stop taping at that point and bring out consultants to work with each contestant to figure out how much to wager. I'm not sure if the consultants suck or if they only have the leeway to make sure the contestants don't screw up big time.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #25
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
I saw a taping about 15 years ago. The show is taped in real time till they get to Final Jeopardy. They stop taping at that point and bring out consultants to work with each contestant to figure out how much to wager. I'm not sure if the consultants suck or if they only have the leeway to make sure the contestants don't screw up big time.
I wonder if they still do that any more. I'm active in a Jeopardy forum, where there are many former (and current!) players posting. No one has ever mentioned this. Ever.

I'm going to guess they no longer do this.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:48 AM   #26
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
I wonder if they still do that any more. I'm active in a Jeopardy forum, where there are many former (and current!) players posting. No one has ever mentioned this. Ever.

I'm going to guess they no longer do this.
Please ask and let us know. I would be surprised if they didn't still do this. At the of taping, Alex Trebek came out and explained it to us. They felt it was important that the contestants didn't screw up the FJ wagering.

(you know they tape several shows a day?) I forget if we saw 3 or 5.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #27
trainman
Nice to see you

My understanding is that they're not "consultants" in the sense that they're helping the contestants with their wagering. They're just members of the production staff who are making sure that the wagers the contestants come up with make sense and are written legibly on the screen.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #28
astrohip
Stuart F

Here is a reply from one of the contestants on that episode. Talk about "from the horse's mouth". She was the current champion, and was in first place at FJ. She was not the one who made the bet I am referring to, that was the 2nd place contestant.

Quote:
No, there weren't any consultants to "help" us. I will admit I did need a little help during one of the episodes, maybe it was Thursday's. They tell you to write down "What is" and then they give you some scratch paper to figure out your bet. So I'm figuring and then when we're all done figuring, they have us write it on the screen. I'm a little number dyslexic and I write down this number. They come over and say "You don't have that much money!" So I write the number down again. "You wrote the same number!" They finally had to write the amount I wanted on a piece of paper and hand me the paper so that I could copy the number down exactly as they had it written. (Is it any wonder I got fired as a bank teller?) :lol:

Old 06-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #29
vman41
Omega Consumer

FJ has 8 permutations of correct/incorrect responses. I'd make my bet on the assumption that opponents with more money will be incorrect and bet $0 and those with less will be correct and bet all.
vman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #30
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman41 View Post
FJ has 8 permutations of correct/incorrect responses. I'd make my bet on the assumption that opponents with more money will be incorrect and bet $0 and those with less will be correct and bet all.
I'm not sure I totally understand what you said, but nonetheless, there are accepted betting standards based on what most people do. Obviously not everyone follows common sense, and sometimes an odd betting strategy pays off. But years of study (and believe me, hard-core Jeopardy fans are nothing if not statistic oriented) have shown that using certain strategies pays off for more often than not.

One wrench can be the category, and your general feel for how you will do, versus your opponents. This is where the odd betting strategies I mentioned above can come into play.

But hey, that's why we still play the game.