TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
NoVa

Can I put the P4 anywhere to start MoCA?

Have Ethernet & Coax wiring to every room in the house. Going to setup P4 & Mini's around the house tomorrow.

To enable MoCA on the P4:

1) can I just put p4 in any room or does it have to be at the patch panel where all the house's low voltage wiring run through & where router & modem are at?

2) Currently use Tivo's wireless N adapter but is it removed from the MoCA setup per TiVo Diagram - how do I get TiVo information now? Do I have to somehow connect P4 to the router in #1 above?
NoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
GBL
covert opiniative

Yes, you need to connect the P4 to your router via wired Ethernet or get a MOCA adapter into your wiring closet, if I understand your setup correctly.

Bonus question:

What's not clear about this diagram?

(it looks like Ethernet cable plugs into HDMI outlet).

unpaid volunteer, TiVo army
GBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
NoVa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBL View Post
Yes, you need to connect the P4 to your router via wired Ethernet or get a MOCA adapter into your wiring closet, if I understand your setup correctly.

Bonus question:

What's not clear about this diagram?

(it looks like Ethernet cable plugs into HDMI outlet).
Thanks GBL.

Good sense of humor...on latter diagram.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa View Post
Have Ethernet & Coax wiring to every room in the house. Going to setup P4 & Mini's around the house tomorrow.

To enable MoCA on the P4:

1) can I just put p4 in any room or does it have to be at the patch panel where all the house's low voltage wiring run through & where router & modem are at?

2) Currently use Tivo's wireless N adapter but is it removed from the MoCA setup per TiVo Diagram - how do I get TiVo information now? Do I have to somehow connect P4 to the router in #1 above?
You say you have ethernet running to every room. If so, why are you using the wireless N adapter? You should be able to connect it to your router via the ethernet cable. If that is the case then you do not need a MoCA adapter, since the P4 will bridge ethernet with MoCA, as long as you enable MoCA on the P4. And the Mini has built in MoCA. With this scenario, there is no need for an additional MoCA adapter.
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
NoVa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisadm View Post
You say you have ethernet running to every room. If so, why are you using the wireless N adapter? You should be able to connect it to your router via the ethernet cable. If that is the case then you do not need a MoCA adapter, since the P4 will bridge ethernet with MoCA, as long as you enable MoCA on the P4. And the Mini has built in MoCA. With this scenario, there is no need for an additional MoCA adapter.

I am not using a Wireless N Adapter - disconnected as instructed in Tivo's diagram - so my original question is what goes in its place for me to get Tivo data.

I understand to stream is via coax but I think you & GBL answered it - since I have ethernet to every room - I just need to plug an ethernet cable from any of the rooms into the back of the P4 (answers #1).

It wasn't originally clear to me that MoCA required both coax + ethernet cables to be plugged in (answers #2).

Thanks.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
BigJimOutlaw

To get MoCA rolling in your setup without needing any additional adapters, the P4 needs to be connected with ethernet. It doesn't matter where it is, as long as it has that ethernet connection and can connect to the internet from it.

Then select "moca+ethernet" in the network settings. This will light up the coax in the house with moca from the P4.

Then the Mini shouldn't need anything else other than coax.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
NoVa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
To get MoCA rolling in your setup without needing any additional adapters, the P4 needs to be connected with ethernet. It doesn't matter where it is, as long as it has that ethernet connection and can connect to the internet from it.

Then select "moca+ethernet" in the network settings. This will light up the coax in the house with moca from the P4.

Then the Mini shouldn't need anything else other than coax.
Thanks BJO! a lot clearer than he TiVo diagram

Question:

I've never plugged in an ethernet cable to the back of my secured router before..will I have to enter my network password at some point via the P4?
Old 06-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Thanks BJO! a lot clearer than he TiVo diagram

Question:

I've never plugged in an ethernet cable to the back of my secured router before..will I have to enter my network password at some point via the P4?
I don't know of many routers that need a password for the wired/ethernet connection. That's just to secure the wireless signal. It should just plug in and work. But if a password is needed the Tivo will ask for it during setup.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #9
NoVa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
I don't know of many routers that need a password for the wired/ethernet connection. That's just to secure the wireless signal. It should just plug in and work. But if a password is needed the Tivo will ask for it during setup.
10-4. Thanks again.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #10
pcbrew

Quote:
If you have wired Ethernet going to every room in the house why do you need MoCa at all?
(648) Series3 - 750GB (LT) - replace with Roamio
Romio Plus (3TB)
pcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote