TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #31
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivogurl View Post
You specify minutes by having a keypad (without letters, obviously) with a fillable field, just like wishlists have for specifying words in show titles. If you want 5 minutes, just click on "5" and finish. For 43 minutes, click "4", then "3", then finish. 2160 minutes? Click ... you get the idea.

I don't know why you'd want exactly 43 minutes of padding, but I see no reason to limit you only to padding I think is useful. I, after all, cannot imagine every user's use case.
Tivo has the arbitrary 1-5 minute limit on regular recordings that covers almost all needs, but you aren't limited to that. You can set up a manual recording that starts and ends exactly when you want. Tivo covers over 99% of the early padding with the 1-5 minute option and the rest can get exactly what they want recorded with a manual recording.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #32
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Tivo covers over 99% of the early padding with the 1-5 minute option and the rest can get exactly what they want recorded with a manual recording.
A manual recording is not what most people want, since it doesn't correct itself for schedule changes or first-run vs rerun.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #33
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedaman View Post
No need for Tivo to make a product like that. There are several products already out there that can do that and/or use PSIP data for scheduling. Go to AVS Forum and look at the HD Recorders forum to find out about them. They're usually pretty cheap and require an EHD. But there are people out there who use them and like them.
Though, like I said, none do CableCard, right? So none can record from encrypted channels.. which unfortunately soon, may be ALL channels (even rebroadcast OTA ones).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #34
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivogurl View Post
A manual recording is not what most people want,
That's not what I said.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:21 AM   #35
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Though, like I said, none do CableCard, right? So none can record from encrypted channels.. which unfortunately soon, may be ALL channels (even rebroadcast OTA ones).
Sony made the DHG series DVRs for a few years, they were not overly popular, they were everything described and used CableCARDs
Old 06-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #36
moedaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Sony made the DHG series DVRs for a few years, they were not overly popular, they were everything described and used CableCARDs
The Sony's used TVGOS for scheduling. I used analog TVGOS for my Panasonic DMR-EH75V dvd recorder and it was every bit as good as the Tivo guide. Sadly TVGOS is now gone and the Sony's aren't that useful anymore, although some people still use them. But after reading the AVS Forum thread about them, many users are switching to Tivo's.
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #37
noshi15

Yes, I agreed some people are still used Sony's. But there are more new brands in market. Many users are switching to Tivo's.
noshi15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #38
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
The Sony's used TVGOS for scheduling. I used analog TVGOS for my Panasonic DMR-EH75V dvd recorder and it was every bit as good as the Tivo guide. Sadly TVGOS is now gone and the Sony's aren't that useful anymore, although some people still use them. But after reading the AVS Forum thread about them, many users are switching to Tivo's.
and I totally understand they are no longer a viable option with TVGOS now dead, but they were out there at the time and never got any traction, I'm amazed they made it 7 years with TVGOS on them before it was killed. From what I understand with TVGOS being killed they lost their time sync also so the units really are all but dead.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #39
moedaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
and I totally understand they are no longer a viable option with TVGOS now dead, but they were out there at the time and never got any traction, I'm amazed they made it 7 years with TVGOS on them before it was killed. From what I understand with TVGOS being killed they lost their time sync also so the units really are all but dead.
Some people over at the AVS Forum have figured out how to use them in a very limited capacity. But yes, they are nearly worthless compared to what they originally could do.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:52 PM   #40
mattack

Quote:
Every bit as good as the Tivo guide? Maybe for you, but I remember this being discussed on AVS forum, and IIRC, there was WAY less information provided for shows. I don't remember absolute specifics, but I think even descriptions were very less detailed, fewer guest stars, and maybe original air dates weren't included or at least not as often. Some of that info is useful to some people (I actually think OAD is one of the most important, since I sometimes check back later on an episode or something if I figure out if I've seen every episode of a show).
Old 06-28-2013, 07:38 AM   #41
moedaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Every bit as good as the Tivo guide? Maybe for you, but I remember this being discussed on AVS forum, and IIRC, there was WAY less information provided for shows. I don't remember absolute specifics, but I think even descriptions were very less detailed, fewer guest stars, and maybe original air dates weren't included or at least not as often. Some of that info is useful to some people (I actually think OAD is one of the most important, since I sometimes check back later on an episode or something if I figure out if I've seen every episode of a show).
Yes, some of that information is useful for some people, but a guide that is accurate for scheduling is what the vast majority of people want/need. I rarely read descriptions on my Tivo guide unless it's a show that's new to me, and I usually get that info online anyway. TVGOS worked very well for scheduling and it was free.

I burned thousands of dvd's with that Panasonic, and I could still use it without a guide since I burned discs off of my dvr. A Tivo without a guide is worthless (like the Sony's are now). It was well worth the $400 that I paid for it.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #42
mattack

But "accurate for scheduling" isn't true *if it doesn't always have OAD*.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #43
lrhorer

What's more, it is highly insufficient for Wishlists and Suggestions, two of the very most powerful and important features of the TiVo.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #44
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
*Sigh* So U.S. DVRs are inferior because they can't utilize information that isn't available in the U.S.?
It could be made available or added by the DVR provider. The end user is a DVR customer, not a customer of the company generating the guide data. The guide data is essentially provided by a subcontractor. The DVR provider is the general contractor and is responsible for the final product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
*Sigh* So U.S. DVRs
The analogy would be if you wanted me to tell you how much it would cost and how long it would take based on a certain size and configuration of your lawn and it was actually larger than you told me it was.
No, the DVR subscriber pays a fee for unlimited recordings. The length of a live event may grow, but the DVR provider could transmit that information and extend the recording. Instead the DVR provider chooses not to resolve the issue and instead blame it on the subcontractor providing the guide data.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #45
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
It could be made available or added by the DVR provider.
No, it couldn't. The information has to come as part of the video signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
No, the DVR subscriber pays a fee for unlimited recordings. The length of a live event may grow, but the DVR provider could transmit that information and extend the recording. Instead the DVR provider chooses not to resolve the issue and instead blame it on the subcontractor providing the guide data.
Nonsense.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote