TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
Dangler

HDMI fried, swap old HD into new TiVo?

So lightning came in via my cable, took out the HDMI on the TiVo (RGB works), all HDMI I/O's on my Onko AVR and one HDMI input on the Tv. I found the ground block lead from my cable drop disconnected in my basement by a careless plumber when my boiler was replaced years ago, so it shouldn't happen again.

So the TiVo has a 2tb drive upgrade. I ordered a refurb TiVo for $99 with intentions of swapping the expanded drive Into the refurb and being done.
Doing a quick search it seems I can't do this without formatting the 2tb drive and going through the upgrade procedure from the refurbs "stock" drive.

Is this true or is there another option? I really didn't want to lose all my recordings.
Dangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
jmbach

You can drop the drive in but will have to do a c&de to marry the drive to the new tivo for the whole unit to be fully functional. You will lose your recordings. I don't see a way around it.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
mattack

You could download the (non copy protected) recordings to a computer, then transfer them back to the new Tivo (or even 'stream' them with StreamBaby).

Obviously you would need a drive as big as the one in the TiVo.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Lightbulb

May I offer some good advice - anywhere you plug in electronics, get a surge protector. Make sure it is a surge protector and not one of those "power strips" that does nothing more than turn one outlet into six and add a red switch to turn it on and off.

Everyone has THOUSANDS of dollars of electronic equipment in their homes. Don't forget your appliances.

Either spend a few hundred bucks and get an electrician to wire in a whole-home surge protector to your main panel, or go to a big-box home center and spend a hundred or so on a generous helping of individual surge protectors.

I even purchased 2 small single-outlet ones to use in the outlets behind my main and basement refrigerators. They were 6 dollars each. A refrigerator can cost between $500 and $3500.

As we see, a power surge can come in if the cableco or telco lines outside are struck by lightning, its not just the power company that can have a surge. Most higher-end power strips have coax protection built in. Use it.

When putting together a home entertainment setup, most people spend upwards of $1000 on a TV, $150 on a BluRay, $300 on a home theater. Factor in $400 for our TiVos, plus another $400 our lifetime subscriptions and that puts us at $2250 dollars. At this point, is it really too much to go for another 20 bucks to protect it!?!?!?!?
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:02 AM   #5
westom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangler View Post
I found the ground block lead from my cable drop disconnected in my basement by a careless plumber when my boiler was replaced years ago, so it shouldn't happen again.
Grounding to pipes is now a code violation. And is even worse for lightning protection.

Cable must be earthed to the same electrode used by AC electric and all other incoming utility wires. And that connection must be low impedance (ie 'less than 10 feet', no sharp bends, no splices, separated from all other non-grounding wires, etc). Even solder joints and sharp bends in pipes subvert that earthing connection.
westom is offline   Reply With Quote