TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-27-2013, 07:20 AM   #1
buscuitboy

Question swapping hard drives

I have two lifetime Series 3 (OLED) TiVos. One is now caught in the dreaded reboot loop. I opened it up and it indeed has a bulging cap. I plan to take care of this with a local shop.

In the meantime, can I possibly take the hard drive out of this rebooting TiVo and put it in the other working Series 3 (OLED)? Then transfer the programs on it to one of my other networked TiVos (2 Premieres and a TiVo HD)? Basically, are programs tied to my account or are the programs tied to the rebooting TiVo's motherboard somehow?

I realize I will also FULLY test this hard drive as well to make sure it is OK and not a failing drive.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
LifeIsABeach

Unfortunately this won't work. The good TiVo will not allow you to use the bad TiVo's drive until you run a Clear & Delete Everything on it which would erase all your shows, season passes, etc.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
I have two lifetime Series 3 (OLED) TiVos. One is now caught in the dreaded reboot loop. I opened it up and it indeed has a bulging cap. I plan to take care of this with a local shop.

In the meantime, can I possibly take the hard drive out of this rebooting TiVo and put it in the other working Series 3 (OLED)? Then transfer the programs on it to one of my other networked TiVos (2 Premieres and a TiVo HD)? Basically, are programs tied to my account or are the programs tied to the rebooting TiVo's motherboard somehow?

I realize I will also FULLY test this hard drive as well to make sure it is OK and not a failing drive.
In order for you to do what you want, swap the power supplies and not the drives. The drives are married to the motherboard so swapping drives will not work as you would have to do a C&DE to marry the drive to the motherboard and make the drive operational with that motherboard.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
buscuitboy

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
In order for you to do what you want, swap the power supplies and not the drives. The drives are married to the motherboard so swapping drives will not work as you would have to do a C&DE to marry the drive to the motherboard and make the drive operational with that motherboard.

Hmmm, good idea and I may have to try this. I have to pull the bad power supply anyway. Might as well give this a shot. Of course, this is after I run a full/extended test on the drive itself to make sure its OK. Thanks.

If the drive is indeed bad, I guess recovering shows is a useless route. I was thinking of getting a 1TB or 2TB drive anyway & upgrading this unit. Depending on the outcome of this extended test, I may not have to "think" much longer. Will see.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote