TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
tivoknucklehead

have they started updating twice per day?

maybe I'm crazy, but the last week or so I am seeing two automatic updates per day
tivoknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #2
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoknucklehead View Post
maybe I'm crazy, but the last week or so I am seeing two automatic updates per day
Maybe you are crazy.

or just lucky. Maybe since you started a thread about missing updates, TiVo figures they will saturate you with updates so you will go away and stop bothering them.
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
Teeps

Quote:
What "updates"?
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
What "updates"?
Tivo Central-> Settings & Messages->Settings->Network.

There is no proof what this really does, but there are many opinions.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
tivoknucklehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
What "updates"?
The daily guide updates , I'm getting one in the morning and evening automatically
Old 06-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
lessd

Quote:
The daily guide updates , I'm getting one in the morning and evening automatically
I may get say a Thursday update at 3AM and another Thursday update at say 10pm, that may seem like 2 in one day but it is not. My understanding is that new guide data is available about 2PM EST, if anybody has different info on when new guide data is available, let us know.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
tivoknucklehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I may get say a Thursday update at 3AM and another Thursday update at say 10pm, that may seem like 2 in one day but it is not. My understanding is that new guide data is available about 2PM EST, if anybody has different info on when new guide data is available, let us know.
right now it says last at 11:08 am Thursday and next at 4:06 pm Thursday and last before this was 9:10 pm Wednesday. very unusual
Old 06-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
That's not at all unusual. I've been seeing the same thing on a regular basis since my first S2 started using the network connection instead of the phone line. "Daily" connections are made randomly and the time between connections will vary greatly. Most connections are between 20 and 30 hours apart, but from what I've seen on my own tivos, there can be less than 4 hours between connections or as much as almost 40 hours between connections.

I posted elsewhere that my premiere had connected successfully 3 times in about 18 hours over this past weekend. One of the connections was only about 3:50 after the previous connection.

Tivo only has new data once per day and they start distributing that sometime between noon and 2pm central time.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
I'm not arguing about the updates. I don't know how to tell what is getting the updates since I would rather not go though all listings to check.

I am sure that my listing "day" ends at 7pm EDT on whatever is the last date right now. If a show starts at 6pm and runs for four hours it will still be on the guide at 9pm. If a show starts at 7pm it does not display on that last day.

I received an update to the guide today that extended the listings until 7pm on 7/10. It was 7/8 this morning. At this time, Zap2It (also TMS) has listings until 8pm on 7/11. Even though Friday has been acting badly (C133) for the last two weeks, I have a 4:18pm update tomorrow that I do not think will change anything I can detect. I have seen a forced update change my To Do List.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

Maybe the server tells it when to call back.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
donnoh

I'm also seeing more frequent calls to the mother ship. I used to see about 27-28 hours between updates, now it seems to be 2 updates in a 24 hour period.
donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #12
AMike

I have noticed these multiple updates on my various devices. In the old days, this would have been a problem tying up the phone line. Now that everything is networked, definitely no issues with multiple updates per day as long as accurate guide information is being provided.
1-TiVo Premiere XL4
1-TiVo Mini
AMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #13
Teeps

Guide data refresh; who'd a thunk?
Never paid that screen any attention unless there is a problem.

Need to watch more TV and less TiVo menus...
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #14
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMike View Post
I have noticed these multiple updates on my various devices. In the old days, this would have been a problem tying up the phone line. Now that everything is networked, definitely no issues with multiple updates per day as long as accurate guide information is being provided.
The guide information is very accurate except for all the mistakes. Since I have a small two tuner model, I get phantom conflicts. some can be fixed and some can't. All recordings are done with a SP (new only) except for those that can't since they are from Canada. It's a nice guide but I verify against Zap2It.com weekly.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #15
JWhites

TiVo is aware of this problem with the double and triple connecting every day with some customers and has said they are issuing a fix in the next patch release.
JWhites is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #16
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
TiVo is aware of this problem with the double and triple connecting every day with some customers and has said they are issuing a fix in the next patch release.
lol sure they are... They are also remotely upgrading all of the CPU's(said by an actual Tivo Rep) So i would not put huge stock in what a CSR says

My 3 only connect once per day each
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:45 PM   #17
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
They are also remotely upgrading all of the CPU's(said by an actual Tivo Rep)
They kind of did that when the released the patch that enabled the second core in the CPU. I could see where someone who's not that tech savvy calling that "upgrading the CPU"
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #18
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
They kind of did that when the released the patch that enabled the second core in the CPU. I could see where someone who's not that tech savvy calling that "upgrading the CPU"
Yes but anyone who believes that a CSR knows every detail of the next software update is crazy. We didnt even get official software notes for this last update so to say they know about the next is laughable
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #19
christheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I have also heard the term "CPU" used to identify the box of a desktop computer by some corporate IT types. They are making no real attempt to be accurate, that are just doing what they are told. "Hi, IT? Yeah, my hard drive just took a dump." "Ok, we'll send someone to swap the CPU." "Huh??" LOL
christheman is offline   Reply With Quote