TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
hotoru

HDMI Suddenly Died

Tivo Premier box working for over one year. HDMI suddenly stopped working one evening. Unplugged Tivo and TV then tried multiple cables with two different TVs before switching to component cables which work fine.

I guess I will have to send in for repair. Any idea what Tivo charges for repair and what is turn around time? I would just buy a new box but this one has a firmware hack and a 1.5TB Drive :-D
Thanks

(failure output failed tanked blown stopped working dead no signal)
hotoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
bshrock

TiVo won't repair your unit the only offer an exchange for a rebuilt.

When the HDMI port went bad on my HD I switched to component and it works great I no longer get the ~1 second black outs for the HDMI re-syncs.
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
shamilian

I think they charge $150 for a refurbished unit.
You will have to restore the unit back to the original disk....
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
hotoru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshrock View Post
TiVo won't repair your unit the only offer an exchange for a rebuilt.

When the HDMI port went bad on my HD I switched to component and it works great I no longer get the ~1 second black outs for the HDMI re-syncs.
Thanks for info. The component cables work but there is a definite loss of HD quality :-( Maybe its time to upgrade to Premier 4. I have avoided before as will increase my monthly bill :-/

I suppose the lifetime subscription is tied to the unit. If I upgrade to lifetime on a new 4 and it dies in the future then the lifetime dies with it? If u trade in a lifetime for a refurbished does lifetime transfer?
Old 06-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotoru View Post
Thanks for info. The component cables work but there is a definite loss of HD quality :-( Maybe its time to upgrade to Premier 4. I have avoided before as will increase my monthly bill :-/

I suppose the lifetime subscription is tied to the unit. If I upgrade to lifetime on a new 4 and it dies in the future then the lifetime dies with it? If u trade in a lifetime for a refurbished does lifetime transfer?
Are you sure it's the hdmi on tivo and not on your set?
poppagene is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
Are you sure it's the hdmi on tivo and not on your set?
<< HDMI suddenly stopped working one evening. Unplugged Tivo and TV then tried multiple cables with two different TVs before switching to component cables which work fine. >>

Unless the OP has TOTALLY bad luck, I'd say if one TiVo on 2 different TV sets doesn't work....
Richard Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #7
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium View Post
<< HDMI suddenly stopped working one evening. Unplugged Tivo and TV then tried multiple cables with two different TVs before switching to component cables which work fine. >>

Unless the OP has TOTALLY bad luck, I'd say if one TiVo on 2 different TV sets doesn't work....
Or old tvs with the hdcp crapping out on the hdmi
Old 06-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #8
hotoru

Ok, getting off topic. But, if I get refurbished Premier (same as my box) from TiVo can I swap out the drives and keep my same programming ? Or is the drive paired with the firmware in the box?
Old 06-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #9
jmbach

Quote:
Ok, getting off topic. But, if I get refurbished Premier (same as my box) from TiVo can I swap out the drives and keep my same programming ? Or is the drive paired with the firmware in the box?
The drives are "married" to the motherboard and this prevents you from doing what you are planning. When you place a drive from another unit of the same model into your working TiVo, you will need to do a C&DE to "marry" that drive to the working TiVo unit in order for the unit to function properly.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:28 AM   #10
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
The component cables work but there is a definite loss of HD quality :-(
I've seen virtually no diff with component vs. HDMI on many TVs and devices. Use better cables, try another TV to see if it's any better. Make sure your TV's settings are the same on the comp input as HDMI, most TVs now have per-input settings and you could be seeing the defaults on the comp input.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:20 AM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
I've seen virtually no diff with component vs. HDMI on many TVs and devices. Use better cables, try another TV to see if it's any better. Make sure your TV's settings are the same on the comp input as HDMI, most TVs now have per-input settings and you could be seeing the defaults on the comp input.
But then not only are you going back to analog video, but you are also stuck using separate cables for audio and video. Just the fact that HDMI carries both audio and video is a great reason to use it.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #12
poppagene
User

Quote:
As noted above, you can't do that. However, you can use tivo.com to copy season passes. Also as long as both tivos are active on your account, you can use ethernet connection to move any content that isn't copy protected from one premiere tivo to another. If it is copy protected, you can watch it on the new tivo by streaming the content over ethernet.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #13
hotoru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
I've seen virtually no diff with component vs. HDMI on many TVs and devices.........
Based on you comment I checked TiVo settings. I noticed TIVO had removed 1080 as a video option. Adding back 1080 improved video quality over component. I switched audio to PCM which fixed some of the recorded shows that were not playing sound over optical. Pictures quality is still not quite as sharp as HDMI IMO but it is close enough for now.

I spoke with TiVo who said I could keep my $12.95 a month plan with Premier XL4 box if I paid the stand alone price of $499. Not sure the extra 2 tuners and bump in video quality worth the $500. If the Premier XL had more RAM and processor bump I might think differently.

Thanks
Old 06-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #14
bshrock

You might check out the multiple service discount and add a XL4 with Lifetime then cancel the Monthly next month.
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:26 AM   #15
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
But then not only are you going back to analog video, but you are also stuck using separate cables for audio and video. Just the fact that HDMI carries both audio and video is a great reason to use it.
Uh yeah but you might've missed the point which was that his HDMI is dead.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote