TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Deadliest Catch - OAD 6/18/2013

Well, I'm not sure if I'm proud of Dane for not allowing Nick to give him a mohawk or annoyed that he refused to be 'one of the crew'!

I love the way that the editing of this show can make it look like the haircuts actually changed their luck. Maybe it really did, but I'm not convinced.

Elliot was pulling in some pretty bad pots there. Those sand fleas look terrible.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
pmyers

His first mistake was not realizing that a boat is just like a fraternity!
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Yeah, you'd think he'd at least have watched old episodes before he applied for the job!

But yes, you're right. Making an enemy of the other crew on the boat is never a good idea.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
Ment

Elliott is quite the character, threatening to kill his girl-on-the-side's guy when he's lying to Val about her. Val has good sense and history not take a lying cheating away-from-home piece of cr*p back.

Its good that Jake and Edgar have patched things up. NW is really his family and he shouldn't have to choose between belonging and his career and if Sig retires and Edgar has one of his existential fits about being a crab fisherman, Jake would jump to come back.
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:41 AM   #5
jeepair

The horn who didn't want his haircut could have handled that better. He could have said no another way and shown support to them instead of going off and working. He could have helped cut someones hair, could have said Freddy I know how strongly you feel about this but I feel just as strongly about not having it done. etc etc. Pissing off the captain wasn't a good idea either.

They need to replace the Saga with the Kiska Sea, I won't want to listen to dumb dumb whine about his girl. He sure appears distracted when his eyes should be on his crew when they are out working. Maybe it was edited to look that way, i don't know or care.
jeepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
d-dub
Jami's Gameboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
Elliott is quite the character, threatening to kill his girl-on-the-side's guy when he's lying to Val about her. Val has good sense and history not take a lying cheating away-from-home piece of cr*p back.

Its good that Jake and Edgar have patched things up. NW is really his family and he shouldn't have to choose between belonging and his career and if Sig retires and Edgar has one of his existential fits about being a crab fisherman, Jake would jump to come back.
What's even dumber is threatening to put a bullet in his head on film. Elliott had better hope that the dude never gets shot

Now with improved joystick action!
World's Luckiest Guy (TM)

-- David --
d-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
d-dub
Jami's Gameboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepair View Post
The horn who didn't want his haircut could have handled that better. He could have said no another way and shown support to them instead of going off and working. He could have helped cut someones hair, could have said Freddy I know how strongly you feel about this but I feel just as strongly about not having it done. etc etc. Pissing off the captain wasn't a good idea either.

They need to replace the Saga with the Kiska Sea, I won't want to listen to dumb dumb whine about his girl. He sure appears distracted when his eyes should be on his crew when they are out working. Maybe it was edited to look that way, i don't know or care.
He's a teenager at what's probably his first job. Your expectations are pretty high

It's pretty bad that the captain and crew believe that a greenhorn deserves 0 respect, but he's required to respect the rest of the crew, and that their definition of respect is "he does whatever we say without question."

Good idea or bad, I'd have done the same thing in that situation

-- David --
Old 06-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
pmyers

But if you've watched 2 minutes of this show before.....you'd know what you're getting into on Keith's boat
Old 06-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #9
d-dub
Jami's Gameboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
But if you've watched 2 minutes of this show before.....you'd know what you're getting into on Keith's boat
I have to believe that a lot of the portrayal of Keith is created in the editing room. If he was half the ass he appears to be, it's hard to believe anyone would work for him.

-- David --
Old 06-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #10
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-dub View Post
I have to believe that a lot of the portrayal of Keith is created in the editing room. If he was half the ass he appears to be, it's hard to believe anyone would work for him.
I'm sure that is true....but even the other captains give him a hard time about all the greenhorns he goes through.

And even during some of the behind-the-scene shows I've heard producers/camera guys dread being assigned to his boat
Old 06-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #11
Jayjoans

I'm not sure that greenhorn fits the definition of pu**y, it took some balls for him to decide to attack on his own terms rather than wait to be ambushed. I think he's stupid, but I don't think he's a pu**y. So what liability does Keith have for a workplace environment where threats of bodily harm by an employee towards another one are acceptable, and shoving and threats of bodily harm by the captain of the boat towards a greenhorn are acceptable?

Keith is a mess, he has short man syndrome and likes to be the bully when there is relatively safety that he won't get pounded on. So far we've seen him go after a cameraman, greenhorn and his own brother, all 3 the safest targets on the boat. One of the Hilstrands got sick of his act and pushed him down, he wasn't such a tough guy then.

If I were an employment attorney, I'd be calling the greenhorn and Discovery for a copy of the tape.
Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #12
Ment

sounds like a review of different weeks show.
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote