TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
Hcour

Sites Similar to "FollowShows" with Email Notifications?

I've been using followshows.com for my fav series. It's ok but doesn't offer many options. Does anyone know of any similar sites that also offer email notifications of your favorite series season premiers and finales? That would be great. Thanks.
Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
astrohip
Stuart F

Not really sure what followshows does, but being the OCD TV watcher that I am, I use two sites to make sure I catch all my shows, plus a calendar reminder.

1) FutonCritic. Tell it what shows you watch, and it creates a daily & monthly calendar of upcoming episodes. They also do a good job of having new shows in their system, meaning shows that will premiere in the next year or so. So you can go ahead and add your fall favorites now, and as they start to air, it will remind you.

Once a week, I'll print the upcoming 10 days, and dbl check against my TiVo's To-Do List. Not only do I make sure all my regulars are recording, this is typically when I add new shows to my SPs.

2) TV Calendar from pog design: http://www.pogdesign.co.uk/cat/. Similar to Futon critic

I also use "TiVo to Calendar". It takes your TiVo To-Do List, and copies it to the Google Calendar of your choice. I have it update a TV only calendar called... TV. I then use the email option in Google Calendar to have it email me, every day around 5am, a schedule of what's recording that day. I review it first thing in the morning to remind myself what TV events are that day.

As I said, a wee bit OCD. But it works!
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcour View Post
I've been using followshows.com for my fav series. It's ok but doesn't offer many options. Does anyone know of any similar sites that also offer email notifications of your favorite series season premiers and finales? That would be great. Thanks.
Meant to add, FutonCritic lists any pertinent info as part of the listing. Such as premiere, season premiere, special day, special time, yada yada.

Here's a snippet that gives you an idea of what it can do...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tv.JPG (63.2 KB, 147 views)
Old 06-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
BradJW

I usually make a schedule every fall, and then add shows I'm watching to an app on my iPhone called "Episodes"

I've got a reminder set every day at 9am with the upcoming shows for that day.
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
rahnbo

Ditto on Futon Critic. It does everything I need with email notifications and keeping track of new shows in dev as well as those that are cancelled.
rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I just downloaded an app on my Android phone called seriesguide. That might do what you're looking for. I haven't set it up on the new phone yet.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
Hcour

The apps are interesting but I don't have a smart phone, just a regular old cell. Futon Critic looks like it will do the deed. Thanks much!
Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #8
spartanstew
Thanks 4 the Update

What I'd like is just to be notified of new series premieres. I already know the shows I currently watch and my series list picks them up. I just hate missing new shows.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:12 PM   #9
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanstew View Post
What I'd like is just to be notified of new series premieres. I already know the shows I currently watch and my series list picks them up. I just hate missing new shows.
FutonCritic has a "Premieres Only" setting on the My Listings page.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #10
spartanstew
Thanks 4 the Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
FutonCritic has a "Premieres Only" setting on the My Listings page.
I created an account at FutonCritic. I went into MyListings, selected month view and then selected "show only premieres". It tells me there are no matching listings for July or August.

Any idea why? I'm thinking it grabs it's data from MyShows, but I don't have anything in MyShows, and can't add shows that haven't premiered yet cause I don't know what they are.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #11
innocentfreak

Quote:
I created an account at FutonCritic. I went into MyListings, selected month view and then selected "show only premieres". It tells me there are no matching listings for July or August.

Any idea why? I'm thinking it grabs it's data from MyShows, but I don't have anything in MyShows, and can't add shows that haven't premiered yet cause I don't know what they are.
You need to go to the regular Listings and add shows first.

http://thefutoncritic.com/listings/2.../26/premieres/

Then when you go to MyListings it will only list shows you have added.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #12
innocentfreak

I use thefutoncritic to program my TiVo weekly though occasionally they seem to miss some shows in the listings.

I also use Trakt.TV to see what is trending and keep track of what episodes I have watched. This is especially handy if you are watching multiple platforms since you just mark the episode as watched. If you add a show to your Watchlist it will be on the homepage as part of the TV listings for what is on tonight.

I am curious how the Google Now will work with the TV cards which was just launched.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #13
spartanstew
Thanks 4 the Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
You need to go to the regular Listings and add shows first.

http://thefutoncritic.com/listings/2.../26/premieres/

Then when you go to MyListings it will only list shows you have added.
That's what I assumed, but kind of defeats the purpose for me. I'd like to be notified of series premieres, many of which I don't know about. If I already know about them, I don't need to be reminded of them.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #14
innocentfreak

Quote:
That's what I assumed, but kind of defeats the purpose for me. I'd like to be notified of series premieres, many of which I don't know about. If I already know about them, I don't need to be reminded of them.
I have just made it part of my weekly process. Every Sunday or Saturday I sit down and look over the next 7-10 days of premieres on the listing and schedule the ones I am interested in.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #15
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Something like this...

http://tvline.com/2013/06/25/summer-...ales-calendar/

http://pmctvline2.files.wordpress.co...ndar2013r3.jpg
Old 06-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #16
spartanstew
Thanks 4 the Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Yes, I think there's lots of sites like that, but not what I was hoping for. I don't think what I was hoping for exists.

I'm part of another forum that had a Calendar, like the Calendar here that you can access via the menu's up top. However, instead of listing birthdays (which is useless), members would submit premiere's in a master thread and they would get added to the Calendar. Once on the Calendar, you could select any show and subscribe to be notified via email when it was about to air (three days prior).

It was very convenient, because you just had to follow that thread and when someone posted a premiere that looked promising (new show or returning), you could subscribe to the show on the Calendar and not worry about it anymore until you got the email, then set up the recording.

But, the forum changed platforms and they can't do the calendar any more.

So, what I'm ultimately searching for, is a calendar that shows series premieres only (or season premieres if it had to), with a way to be alerted via email when those shows were about to air.

PS. I'm sure the Calendar here could be used that way if the owners/mods wanted to.