TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
dtyree

Two Premieres, one room, remote question

i've searched around but i can't really get a clear answer.

here's the situation, i would like to have two Premieres in the same room.

it sounds like i would need two remotes, each one set to a different remote address.

remote A set to address 1 and Tivo A set to address 1

remote B set to address 2 and Tivo B set to address 2

of course i would to remember which remote controls which Tivo but i can put labels on them

am i thinking right?

thanks
dtyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
MPSAN

Well, I believe you can do this with 1 Premiere remote but you will have to change the address on the remote each time. It would be easy with the slide switch remotes!
Old 06-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

I'd just buy an older remote with the 1-2 switch, and in fact that's how I do it here. I rarely need the ABCD buttons.
For a while I used a glo remote and a regular to differentiate, but the 1-2 switch remote is the best answer.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
Well, I believe you can do this with 1 Premiere remote but you will have to change the address on the remote each time. It would be easy with the slide switch remotes!
There are folks who swear this is an "easy" way around it, but I'm sorry, I just can't see reprogramming the remote every time I swap between Tivos, which could be a few times in a night if I'm watching recorded shows.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
There are folks who swear this is an "easy" way around it, but I'm sorry, I just can't see reprogramming the remote every time I swap between Tivos, which could be a few times in a night if I'm watching recorded shows.
OH, I agree, but I just wanted to mention that it could be done. I would not want to do it either. In fact for a month or two I had a THD and P4 in the same room and used the THD remote switched to #2 for the THD...but #1 would control the XL4 as well.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
rkodey

FWIW, I use a Logitech Harmony 650, and can confirm the Harmony software understands the 1-2 addresses and can program accordingly. So, I set up 2 TiVo devices on the remote, one on each address. Then, use the learning feature to add in the missing ABCD buttons, and you get the best of all worlds! Works great!
rkodey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
dtyree

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I'd just buy an older remote with the 1-2 switch, and in fact that's how I do it here. I rarely need the ABCD buttons.
For a while I used a glo remote and a regular to differentiate, but the 1-2 switch remote is the best answer.
i dug around in my junk box and found one of the older remotes with the 1-2 switch.
i'll give that a shot. i don't really like the older remote but i'll use if i need too.
thanks
dtyree is offline   Reply With Quote