TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
Azlen

Whodunnit Season 1

Thought it was an interesting show. Seemed a whole lot like The Mole in a lot of ways. Strangely though, there were quite a few people on twitter who thought they were actually killing the contestants.

http://www.realityblurred.com/realit...ntestants-dead
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
MauriAnne
Mostly lurking

I wanted to like this show, but I didn't. Gave up about half way through it. It seemed too staged, even for a "reality" show.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Fun show, but hopefully the contestants don't take it too seriously. The first victim, cheerleader chick, if her head only cracked the glass to later have it shatter after she fell backwards I don't think the glass would be embedded in her face like that (though I could be wrong). Also that was one hell of a shot with a slingshot!

I did like how the next victim died. Too bad it wasn't him doing that stunt. Also would be interesting to see the behind the scenes. My guess is after they retired to their rooms after dinner the producers let the next guy know he was out of the game.

S2 526 HR - Lifetime
Premiere XL4 300 HR - Lifetime

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:18 PM   #4
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einselen View Post
Fun show, but hopefully the contestants don't take it too seriously. The first victim, cheerleader chick, if her head only cracked the glass to later have it shatter after she fell backwards I don't think the glass would be embedded in her face like that (though I could be wrong). Also that was one hell of a shot with a slingshot!

I did like how the next victim died. Too bad it wasn't him doing that stunt. Also would be interesting to see the behind the scenes. My guess is after they retired to their rooms after dinner the producers let the next guy know he was out of the game.
I thought they DID take it way too seriously. I couldn't actually tell for sure it wasn't him doing the stunt, though of course I suspected it wasn't (unless they got all stunt people to do the show).. Though will each person have to fake being a dead body for the morgue scenes?

I too thought of The Mole -- combined with the murder dinner theatre.

It was pretty decent, but yeah, them taking it way too seriously.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:01 PM   #5
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einselen View Post
if her head only cracked the glass to later have it shatter after she fell backwards I don't think the glass would be embedded in her face like that (though I could be wrong).
I'm no expert, but no, there wouldn't have been glass embedded in her head like that given the explanation that the fish tank took a little time to burst. For the glass to be embedded like it was, her head would have had to put a significant hole in the tank that would have allowed the water to pour out immediately. I'm also positive that a circuit breaker or fuse would have reacted immediately to shut off the power when the water hit the electric cord.

Quote:
Considering how well thought out and orchestrated the first kill was to get the desired outcome, I'm really wondering how they'll explain Dontae's running through the mansion, through an open door and into the pool when most people would likely just flail around in the area in which they caught fire.

This show is not for thinking people.

Last edited by scandia101 : 06-24-2013 at 11:09 PM.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
dowalker

This show reminds me how much I miss 'The mole'
dowalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #7
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

I thought it was quite an interesting show. I liked it. It's interesting how they will make the contestants play dead bodies and record reenactments of their deaths the week after they get killed. If they can keep up the surprises, I think it'll be fun to watch.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #8
bacevedo

We really liked the show. It reminded us of the mole quite a bit, which also reminded us of how much we miss the mole.

It's obvious that most of it has to be staged in order to get the shots and angles that they want when the deaths occur. It would be interesting to know how much the contestants know ahead of time. Did they tell them to stand in a certain spot so they wouldn't get hit by a burning man? Did they have to do more than one take for that shot?

You just have to sit back and watch it and enjoy it and not think too much about every little detail. In other words, try to figure out the mystery within the bounds of the show and not real life. In that case it's a lot of fun to watch.

Bryan
bacevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
MauriAnne
Mostly lurking

With so many comparisons to the Mole, maybe I need to reconsider and try to watch this again. Too bad I deleted it from the DVR; looks like it's available online though.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

I did think it was really cool that each had to describe the murder to the camera ("the murderer") and the person who does the worst goes home...er....I mean gets killed It's a nice twist for a reality show to not have a vote to eliminate somebody.

There were a lot of details and red herrings which was pretty fun. For instance, I liked that they discovered the steam machine in the bathroom which would let them fog up the mirror to read the message.

I felt a little sorry for the guy who cracked the puzzle and then all the people rushed after him to find the evidence.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #11
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Yeah, definitely a Mole-ish vibe, but of course, not as good.

I think I've already figured out who the killer is, too. Have to wait and see if I'm right.

For the record...

Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure it's Don. He was too far off the truth for a former homicide detective and what better way to allay suspicion than be marked as a victim in the very first episode!

Old 06-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #12
realityboy

It even said in the credits that the elimination was based on a written test. So it's pretty much The Mole with murder/investigation trappings. I'll watch it over the summer, but it wouldn't be a pick for me if there was more competition.
realityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #13
WhiskeyTango

Apparently there were people watching that thought the contestants were actually being killed.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #14
stellie93

When they told the first girl she was safe--were they saying that she was the closest to what happened, or did they just mention her first randomly?
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #15
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancnDude View Post
I did think it was really cool that each had to describe the murder to the camera ("the murderer") and the person who does the worst goes home...
Though that's all for show (pun intended). The end credits said that the eliminated contestant was chosen on how they did in a *written* test.

and yeah, the credits also said much of it was reenacted or some similar word.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #16
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Though that's all for show (pun intended). The end credits said that the eliminated contestant was chosen on how they did in a *written* test.

and yeah, the credits also said much of it was reenacted or some similar word.
"recreated"
Quote:
Portions of this program not affecting the outcome
have been edited and/or recreated for broadcast
Near as I can tell, the only thing that affects the outcome is the written test and they don't show that, so basically everything is edited and/or recreated.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #17
mattack

I don't quite get the point you're trying to make. You think *all* of their participation is recreated, not their actual discussion at the time?

I think the "edited" comment always just means "they talked about X, and X didn't have anything to do with that week's plot, so it was edited out".. as opposed to editing out various Jeopardy! questions and changing the scores retroactively.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #18
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

For the second episode, what did the medallion actually have to do with the murder. I'm not sure I understood that part. Did it help conduct the electricity or something?
Old 07-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #19
nyc13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancnDude View Post
For the second episode, what did the medallion actually have to do with the murder. I'm not sure I understood that part. Did it help conduct the electricity or something?
That's why I'm out, now. It's bugging me how much the clues are just being placed there to be clues instead of how things would really happen. The glass in her forehead. The socks and medallion just sliding off the dead body into the pool. Things are being staged unnaturally only so that there can be a roughly equal number of clues in the three locations.
nyc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #20
Azlen

This game is really more about social dynamics than it is solving a murder mystery. They are less concerned with how it would happen in reality and more concerned with distributing clues over the three clue areas. You of course have to piece the clues together, but the key to surviving this game is to get as much information as you can from the people who explored the other clue areas or found any other clues. If nobody wants to share any real information with you then you aren't going to last long in this game.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #21
aaronw

I also didn't understand the whole thing about the wrong name of the medallion, or what it even had to do with anything. I also have no idea how they can possibly be setting up one of the people to be the killer, does that person even know at this point that they are the killer, and if so, are they just told about the entire 'scene' before it happens? The group solving the murder is interesting, but some parts of it seem quite convoluted. Especially some of the people saying 'I don't want to be killed next!'. I mean, I get it, they are "playing" a part, but that's a level of meta-oddness that is just weird.

Also, they are doing a 'postmortem' (ha) blog on abc.com with some 'real life' facts from the filming of each episode, which makes for some interesting reading:

http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/whodunn...k-1-postmortem
http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/whodunn...ter-postmortem

Last edited by aaronw : 07-02-2013 at 03:36 PM. Reason: added ABC blog
aaronw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #22
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronw View Post
I also didn't understand the whole thing about the wrong name of the medallion, or what it even had to do with anything.
At one point, one group said something like they thought the medallion exploded, starting the fire.. but I don't think there was any evidence to support that in the rest of the episode.

About the 'wrong name' thing.. They were actually being kind of clever.

The one team found out that it said Saint X, but were telling the rest of the teams Saint Y. If the other teams *corrected* them that it was Saint X, they would know that the other teams (1) had found more information, and (2) were being honest..

I think I've got that pretty much right.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #23
bacevedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronw View Post
I also have no idea how they can possibly be setting up one of the people to be the killer, does that person even know at this point that they are the killer, and if so, are they just told about the entire 'scene' before it happens?
I have the same question. With The Mole, the mole was actually doing stuff that people might catch on to. On this show, what does the killer do that anyone would be able to catch on to? Just throw people off on the clues? Watch for someone trying to mislead people?

How are the contestants figuring out who the killer is in addition to solving how each murder happened? Or maybe they aren't supposed to figure out the killer and just make sure they make it to the end by figuring out how each murder happened? In that case I could see the killer is there to try to throw people off with bad clues, etc.

And yeah, the medallion thing bothered me in the 2nd episode because it wasn't a necessary part for the murder but was still something they needed to have correct for their test. Was it just a red herring for people to get caught up on?
Old 07-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #24
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Well, more pointless clues in the third episode!

The whole thing with the garage door opener seemed a little off to me - and the fact that only one person got to see the attic, so it completely relied on his honesty (or otherwise).
Old 07-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #25
aaronw

And the tree branch didn't make any sense either. I *sort* of understand why they are putting stuff in like that, to make plausible other theories. But, along the "how much staging are they doing" aspect, why was the DVD playing *again* in the breakfast room at the exact same time they happened to be there?
aaronw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #26
bacevedo

I was convinced Don was the killer because he sure didn't act like a homicide detective. I guess they never said he was a good detective. He just acted out of character for a detective and didn't seem good at following or finding clues. But it could also be editing or the fact that he is used to looking for actual clues in a real crime and everything being set up or staged might be too obvious for him.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #27
stellie93

I think he would do well if he could see all 3 areas of clues, but then he sucks at the riddles, which aren't something you get in a real crime.

Am I missing it, or is there no clue given as to who the killer is? We see how it was done, but I'm missing any way to connect it to an individual.

Not sure why I'm still watching this show....
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:05 AM   #28
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Painted footprints on the doors? seriously?
Why are the people who had 'scared' cards always the last to enter the room?
Old 07-09-2013, 01:06 AM   #29
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
but then he sucks at the riddles, which aren't something you get in a real crime.
Batman would argue otherwise.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #30
sieglinde

Continuity errors - Dante was wearing shoes when he ran out of the house on fire. Actually I hope that was a stunt man. They killed one of the most irritating players which I was a tad surprised at.