TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
shfawaz

Cloning 2Tb HDD for 2nd Tivo Series 3 TCD648250B

I just purchased a WD 2Tb HDD on Ebay with a Tivo image for a TCD648250B Series 3 HD Tivo. It's supposed to be plug & Play for my Series 3 Tivo. Since I have four of these TCD648250B Tivo's, is it possible to clone this drive for use in my other Tivo's using blank 2Tb WD Drives? If so, what software do I have to use, or can I simply use a stand alone hard drive cloner? Thanks!
Old 06-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by shfawaz View Post
I just purchased a WD 2Tb HDD on Ebay with a Tivo image for a TCD648250B Series 3 HD Tivo. It's supposed to be plug & Play for my Series 3 Tivo. Since I have four of these TCD648250B Tivo's,

is it possible to clone this drive for use in my other Tivo's using blank 2Tb WD Drives?

If so, what software do I have to use, or can I simply use a stand alone hard drive cloner? Thanks!
It should work fine, if the "other Tivo" is a TCD648250.

A simple DD Copy (operation) should do exactly what you are asking.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
shfawaz

Thanks! Excuse my ignorance, but DD copy using which software? Also, would a stand alone HDD cloner do the job as well?
Old 06-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
Teeps

Quote:
Thanks! Excuse my ignorance, but DD copy using which software?
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://e...dJsltIkA_RsKcQ

Quote:
Also, would a stand alone HDD cloner do the job as well?
I have only used DD Copy to clone TiVo disks; so I know it works. Especially if "I" can do it!
It's not new, it's not user friendly because is done from a command line.
And, you should remove all HDDs from the computer except the source and target drives.
At that point it's as fool proof as any command line operation can be.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
ggieseke

WinMFS or the MFS Live Linux Boot CD will both work.

http://www.mfslive.org/

DvrBARS will also do the trick.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=503261

Using dd is fine, but it's pretty much a byte-for-byte copy of the entire drive. The tools listed above were designed for TiVos and they can make a truncated backup that's only a few hundred MB, and it takes a few minutes vs 5-8 hours to backup or restore.

See the Upgrade forum here for more info on all of them.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
shfawaz

Thanks for all the answers. But one question wasn't answered. Will a stand-alone disk cloner work?
Old 06-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
poppagene
User

Quote:
Thanks for all the answers. But one question wasn't answered. Will a stand-alone disk cloner work?
generally, no
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
ggieseke

Quote:
Many cloner programs like EaseUs, Acronis etc try to read the partitions and give you "smart" options. Since they don't know the proprietary TiVo file system they usually won't work.

If you use a program like dd or a hardware drive cloner it should work if it just reads the drive from byte 0 to the end and writes that data to the target. We generally call that "xeroxing" a drive. If it tries to do anything else or interpret the drive in any way, probably not.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #9
jmbach

Quote:
Are you talking about a hardware or software cloner.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:41 PM   #10
shfawaz

Stand alone hardware cloner. No pc or software involved.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:02 PM   #11
jmbach

Should work. They do a byte by byte copy and they are OS agnostic. Still will take a long time.

Personally if the drive you have has not been operational inside a TiVo yet, I would use DvrBARS and make a Modified or Truncated backup of the drive and then use a quick restore to the other drives. This will take minutes instead of hours and you will have a backup to use in the future.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:10 AM   #12
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
I just purchased a WD 2Tb HDD on Ebay with a Tivo image for a TCD648250B Series 3 HD Tivo. It's supposed to be plug & Play for my Series 3 Tivo. Since I have four of these TCD648250B Tivo's, is it possible to clone this drive for use in my other Tivo's using blank 2Tb WD Drives? If so, what software do I have to use, or can I simply use a stand alone hard drive cloner? Thanks!
I use GNU DD_RESCUE, from the command line of the JMFS boot CD in order to do this. It works fine, and only takes a few hours, so long as you read the short documentation on the command line options, and make sure you know which drive is your source, and which is the target. If you get that last part wrong, you can copy the blank drive to the pre-imaged drive accidentally.

This really should be done by connecting the drives directly to a computer board's SATA ports (and disconnecting any other drives), but can be done, much slower, with USB-to-SATA bridging adapters.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #13
shfawaz

Put the drive in my Dual-HDD Duplicator/cloner and it appears that the duplication when off without a hitch. The clone booted up in my Tivo Series 3 and it showed 318 hours of HD. Woo Hoo! I did a clear and delete all and it is doing a initial setup which seems to be going well. I'll update once I am completely up and running.

Many THANKS to all who replied.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #14
shfawaz

Looks like all worked as it should using the hardware duplicator.