TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #181
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
It sucks on Mythbusters, but most other shows, that 10 seconds doesn't really matter, as it's just junk anyways. It's been a problem with DVRs and VCRs for a long time.
The problem is with broadcasters and lack of up-to-date guide data. It's got nothing to do with the recording device as long as the clock is accurate. Part of the problem is the lag time inherent in digital vs. analog broadcasts. Set up two TVs side by side with the same station being shown, except have one tuned to the HD digital channel and the other tuned to the same channel in analog and there's a delay of at least several seconds between them.

Quote:
Why???
The fact that you have to ask says it all.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:25 AM   #182
Worf

Your provider also introduces several seconds of lag - which can vary depending on how you get your TV - OTA, satellite, cable, phone. Some easily add 10-30 seconds of delay to the signal. Best way is during a summer popular sporting event - when some goal is made, you'll often hear some houses cheering, followed by more cheering from other houses a few seconds later. Repeat a few seconds later...
Worf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #183
moedaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
T Set up two TVs side by side with the same station being shown, except have one tuned to the HD digital channel and the other tuned to the same channel in analog and there's a delay of at least several seconds between them.
There is also a difference between different providers. My brother and I were on the phone last fall while we were watching the same football game. He lives in NY and has TWC while I live in Michigan and have Dish, He was watching the action several (maybe 10?) seconds before I was receiving it. After that I compared a game broadcast ota compared to Dish and Dish lagged with that too. I guess lagging is part of satellite service.

EDIT: Sorry Worf, I didn't fully read your post.

Last edited by moedaman : 06-24-2013 at 07:57 AM.
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #184
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Your provider also introduces several seconds of lag - which can vary depending on how you get your TV - OTA, satellite, cable, phone. Some easily add 10-30 seconds of delay to the signal. Best way is during a summer popular sporting event - when some goal is made, you'll often hear some houses cheering, followed by more cheering from other houses a few seconds later. Repeat a few seconds later...
Exactly. It has nothing to do with analog vs. digital. At school, their signal was 10+ seconds behind OTA, and the school was NTSC over cable, OTA was ATSC-8VSB.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:22 PM   #185
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Exactly. It has nothing to do with analog vs. digital. At school, their signal was 10+ seconds behind OTA, and the school was NTSC over cable, OTA was ATSC-8VSB.
There is a definite lag between analog vs. digital from the same provider. To clarify, one of the bars I play pool in has both flat screen digital TVs as well as older CRT displays. When watching a sporting event broadcast on DirecTV, the program on the analog display lags behind the same program on the digital display by more than a few seconds (it could be the other way around as it's been a while since I did the comparison). The lag may be due to the additional processing involved with converting the signal to analog, but I can't say for sure.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #186
Richard Cranium

The lag is most likely due to the time it takes a Sat. Receiver to "de-compress" the signal it receives from the mothership.

Think, a "zip file"
Richard Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #187
Bigg

Quote:
There is a definite lag between analog vs. digital from the same provider. To clarify, one of the bars I play pool in has both flat screen digital TVs as well as older CRT displays. When watching a sporting event broadcast on DirecTV, the program on the analog display lags behind the same program on the digital display by more than a few seconds (it could be the other way around as it's been a while since I did the comparison). The lag may be due to the additional processing involved with converting the signal to analog, but I can't say for sure.
It's not necessarily that it's analog or digital, it depends on how the provider set up each system. Some TVs can also introduce input lag, although that's 100's of ms, not 1000's of ms like the broadcast delays. Two different digital providers are likely out of sync with each other as well.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #188
mr.unnatural

I can only speculate as to why there's a lag, but it does exist. I assume it's due to the processing involved to go from digital to analog. The flat screens are fed the digital outputs from the sat receiver whereas the older analog sets get the analog output. AFAIK, the sat receivers are tuned to the same channels on both TVs and the lag is quite noticeable.

As to how this affects DVR recording and scheduling, I can only assume that the same lag is inherent between digital feeds and the corresponding analog channels. I don't know what's happening in the signal path from the original broadcast, but I assume that the original feed is in HD and then downconverted to standard def for transmitting on the corresponding SD channel. The lag would then be introduced during the conversion process prior to final transmission.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #189
Bigg

Quote:
I can only speculate as to why there's a lag, but it does exist. I assume it's due to the processing involved to go from digital to analog. The flat screens are fed the digital outputs from the sat receiver whereas the older analog sets get the analog output. AFAIK, the sat receivers are tuned to the same channels on both TVs and the lag is quite noticeable.

As to how this affects DVR recording and scheduling, I can only assume that the same lag is inherent between digital feeds and the corresponding analog channels. I don't know what's happening in the signal path from the original broadcast, but I assume that the original feed is in HD and then downconverted to standard def for transmitting on the corresponding SD channel. The lag would then be introduced during the conversion process prior to final transmission.
You could get lag either way in processing.