TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #181
mr.unnatural
Registered User
 
mr.unnatural's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
It sucks on Mythbusters, but most other shows, that 10 seconds doesn't really matter, as it's just junk anyways. It's been a problem with DVRs and VCRs for a long time.
The problem is with broadcasters and lack of up-to-date guide data. It's got nothing to do with the recording device as long as the clock is accurate. Part of the problem is the lag time inherent in digital vs. analog broadcasts. Set up two TVs side by side with the same station being shown, except have one tuned to the HD digital channel and the other tuned to the same channel in analog and there's a delay of at least several seconds between them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Why???
The fact that you have to ask says it all.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:25 AM   #182
Worf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 1,674
Your provider also introduces several seconds of lag - which can vary depending on how you get your TV - OTA, satellite, cable, phone. Some easily add 10-30 seconds of delay to the signal. Best way is during a summer popular sporting event - when some goal is made, you'll often hear some houses cheering, followed by more cheering from other houses a few seconds later. Repeat a few seconds later...
Worf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #183
moedaman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
T Set up two TVs side by side with the same station being shown, except have one tuned to the HD digital channel and the other tuned to the same channel in analog and there's a delay of at least several seconds between them.
There is also a difference between different providers. My brother and I were on the phone last fall while we were watching the same football game. He lives in NY and has TWC while I live in Michigan and have Dish, He was watching the action several (maybe 10?) seconds before I was receiving it. After that I compared a game broadcast ota compared to Dish and Dish lagged with that too. I guess lagging is part of satellite service.

EDIT: Sorry Worf, I didn't fully read your post.

Last edited by moedaman : 06-24-2013 at 07:57 AM.
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #184
Bigg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Hartford- New Haven CT
Posts: 3,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Your provider also introduces several seconds of lag - which can vary depending on how you get your TV - OTA, satellite, cable, phone. Some easily add 10-30 seconds of delay to the signal. Best way is during a summer popular sporting event - when some goal is made, you'll often hear some houses cheering, followed by more cheering from other houses a few seconds later. Repeat a few seconds later...
Exactly. It has nothing to do with analog vs. digital. At school, their signal was 10+ seconds behind OTA, and the school was NTSC over cable, OTA was ATSC-8VSB.
__________________
My Place: Premiere XL4 Lifetime 3/26/13 XFinity
3 TiVo Mini's on MoCA
Formerly Win MCE 3TB Ceton4 XFinity
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:22 PM   #185
mr.unnatural
Registered User
 
mr.unnatural's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Exactly. It has nothing to do with analog vs. digital. At school, their signal was 10+ seconds behind OTA, and the school was NTSC over cable, OTA was ATSC-8VSB.
There is a definite lag between analog vs. digital from the same provider. To clarify, one of the bars I play pool in has both flat screen digital TVs as well as older CRT displays. When watching a sporting event broadcast on DirecTV, the program on the analog display lags behind the same program on the digital display by more than a few seconds (it could be the other way around as it's been a while since I did the comparison). The lag may be due to the additional processing involved with converting the signal to analog, but I can't say for sure.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #186
Richard Cranium
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 173
The lag is most likely due to the time it takes a Sat. Receiver to "de-compress" the signal it receives from the mothership.

Think, a "zip file"
Richard Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #187
Bigg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Hartford- New Haven CT
Posts: 3,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
There is a definite lag between analog vs. digital from the same provider. To clarify, one of the bars I play pool in has both flat screen digital TVs as well as older CRT displays. When watching a sporting event broadcast on DirecTV, the program on the analog display lags behind the same program on the digital display by more than a few seconds (it could be the other way around as it's been a while since I did the comparison). The lag may be due to the additional processing involved with converting the signal to analog, but I can't say for sure.
It's not necessarily that it's analog or digital, it depends on how the provider set up each system. Some TVs can also introduce input lag, although that's 100's of ms, not 1000's of ms like the broadcast delays. Two different digital providers are likely out of sync with each other as well.
__________________
My Place: Premiere XL4 Lifetime 3/26/13 XFinity
3 TiVo Mini's on MoCA
Formerly Win MCE 3TB Ceton4 XFinity
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #188
mr.unnatural
Registered User
 
mr.unnatural's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,624
I can only speculate as to why there's a lag, but it does exist. I assume it's due to the processing involved to go from digital to analog. The flat screens are fed the digital outputs from the sat receiver whereas the older analog sets get the analog output. AFAIK, the sat receivers are tuned to the same channels on both TVs and the lag is quite noticeable.

As to how this affects DVR recording and scheduling, I can only assume that the same lag is inherent between digital feeds and the corresponding analog channels. I don't know what's happening in the signal path from the original broadcast, but I assume that the original feed is in HD and then downconverted to standard def for transmitting on the corresponding SD channel. The lag would then be introduced during the conversion process prior to final transmission.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #189
Bigg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Hartford- New Haven CT
Posts: 3,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I can only speculate as to why there's a lag, but it does exist. I assume it's due to the processing involved to go from digital to analog. The flat screens are fed the digital outputs from the sat receiver whereas the older analog sets get the analog output. AFAIK, the sat receivers are tuned to the same channels on both TVs and the lag is quite noticeable.

As to how this affects DVR recording and scheduling, I can only assume that the same lag is inherent between digital feeds and the corresponding analog channels. I don't know what's happening in the signal path from the original broadcast, but I assume that the original feed is in HD and then downconverted to standard def for transmitting on the corresponding SD channel. The lag would then be introduced during the conversion process prior to final transmission.
You could get lag either way in processing.
__________________
My Place: Premiere XL4 Lifetime 3/26/13 XFinity
3 TiVo Mini's on MoCA
Formerly Win MCE 3TB Ceton4 XFinity
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |