TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #31
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

Spoiler:
I was somehow hoping it was some sort of government experiment gone awry or a foreign country's weapon. Or maybe more of a direct contact from an alien race and not just some bratty ET from Ork playing in his bedroom.

Bob_Newhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #32
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
We seem to have a common problem here. Shows/books that have a great beginning and middle seem to suck at the end. Actually, as Stephen King books go, that was an above average ending IMO. With him, as with Lost, the story is so great that I never really care about the ending. (not an opinion shared by many here). So is it just impossible to have an ending befitting an awesome story? Anybody think of any good examples?
Yes.

"Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less" - Jeffrey Archer. A complete and satisfying ending and last line.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #33
trainman
Nice to see you

Season 2 of "Under the Dome" will take place in St. Petersburg, Florida, and will be broadcast on MLB Network.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #34
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
Okay, I've never read "The Dome" though I do have the audiobook I got from Audible.

And...
I think most of the story is less about the why/who/what of the Dome but all the character threads, small-town politics, and the "bottle episode" sub-plots intertwined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Season 2 of "Under the Dome" will take place in St. Petersburg, Florida, and will be broadcast on MLB Network.
Woo hoo! Maybe I can be an extra on visitor's day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #35
Crow159
Winter is Coming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
Okay, I've never read "The Dome" though I do have the audiobook I got from Audible.

And...
Spoiler:
A thousand pages for THAT ending? That's a short story ending right there, or an episode of "The Outer Limits." I'd feel very cheated had I read the book and that was my "reward." Now I know I'll never read it. Or watch the series. And I thank you for helping me avoid wasting my time.
I absolutely loved the book up until the ending. Don't let the ending dissuade you from listening to the greatness of the build up to it.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #36
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow159 View Post
I absolutely loved the book up until the ending. Don't let the ending dissuade you from listening to the greatness of the build up to it.
I don't know. Been there done that.
Rob summed it up best. King comes up with wild, interesting concepts. Populates them with compellingly interesting characters, and especially lately he gets tired and hacks an ending. Given network serialization and the risks of cancellation, I'm not up to committing hours of my life on a King debacle.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #37
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
Given network serialization and the risks of cancellation, I'm not up to committing hours of my life on a King debacle.
I'll use your quote, although many others above fit. I'd watch as a mini-series, where I *know* it will have a conclusion, satisfying or not. But I'm fed up with stories that have no business being serialized, being serialized.

I love serial dramas, and watch tons of them. And I know the risks that come from getting involved with a story and having it yanked out from beneath you. That's TV. But this is different. It's taking an actual mini-series (isn't that what a book really is?) and making it something it's not.

I don't get network TVs fear about making a mini. They can draw ratings just as strong.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #38
chrispitude

I loved the book - well, like the others here, I loved almost all of it. A series would be a great opportunity to rethink the ending.
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #39
KRS
Mmm...invisible cola

After listening to the audiobook and pondering the ending, I wound up feeling like it was a better ending than the scenario I thought would happen.

Spoiler:
Government/military conspiracy was the ending I thought was most likely. But that was almost too obvious, and would it have made sense? Why would the military test such technology on a town rather than on a test site in the desert?

A supernatural/alien scenario doesn't answer the technical questions that the reader might have, but to me it was more satisfying than the more generic Dan Brown/Tom Clancy ending I was half expecting. Kinda like the ending of Duma Key - a mysterious supernatural explanation was probably better than one that tried to make logical sense with far fetched facts that readers would poke holes in.

O RLY?

360: Bees Tea Boys
Wii: 6028 2014 9605 5661
KRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #40
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

A mini series of this would be great. Also a mini series of 11/22/63.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #41
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

Under the Dome - First Look

Under the Dome

Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #42
stellie93

Sounds good. It was a good book. Stephen King has definitely aged since I saw him last.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #43
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Looks like it could be an fun summer series.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #44
danterner
Not it!

Looks good. I didn't know that Dean Morris was in it. I think he's cast well as Rennie, though I think in my mind's eye I envisioned someone more like John Goodman or maybe even Wayne Knight.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #45
warrenn

It sounds like an interesting concept. Would it be okay for kids to watch? How much gore/sex did the book have?
warrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #46
jdfs
Unspecial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenn View Post
It sounds like an interesting concept. Would it be okay for kids to watch? How much gore/sex did the book have?
I just started reading it and a lot of gore in the initial dome day activities. But they could make it a lot different if they wanted to for television.

HDR112 196 hrs - Retired
Tivo Premier with Extender
Tivo Premier #2
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini
jdfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #47
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfs View Post

I just started reading it and a lot of gore in the initial dome day activities. But they could make it a lot different if they wanted to for television.
The YouTube clip appears to show a bloody severed limb...
| Twitter:
Old 04-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #48
TeddS
Obfuscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenn View Post
There's a rather nasty rape scene in the book.
TeddS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #49
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddS View Post
There's a rather nasty rape scene in the book.
Book spoiler, but vague:

Spoiler:
Not to mention what winds up getting stored in the kitchen pantry of one of the homes. That could be pretty gory and scary if it is played right.

| Twitter:
Old 04-09-2013, 11:21 PM   #50
andyw715

Filming is currently taking place here in Wilmington (tonight actually) until tomorrow morning around 2am.

Greenfield lake park. The skate park is currently closed and a good size bonfire was burning a while ago.

June 24 premiere.
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #51
mattack

…and remember, it will be on Amazon Prime free streaming too, at about the same time.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #52
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Show starts tonight...10PM EST.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #53
NYHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
…and remember, it will be on Amazon Prime free streaming too, at about the same time.
Really, Are they actually providing the streaming version available around the same time as the broadcast similar to how HBOGo does it?
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #54
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
How will that work?

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:02 PM   #55
wouldworker
_

Episodes will be available on Amazon Prime Instant Video four days after they are shown on CBS.
wouldworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #56
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfer View Post
Show starts tonight...10PM EST.
10PM EDT.

Or, as CBS refers to it internally, 10PM NYT ("New York time").
Old 06-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #57
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by wouldworker View Post
Episodes will be available on Amazon Prime Instant Video four days after they are shown on CBS.
Cool, by that time I will know whether they are worth watching or not!

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #58
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Nice reminder the thread bump. Just used my DirecTV app to set my DVR to record. I really don't need another show to watch. I think my DVR is hovering around 20% free space. I really need to start watching more TV.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:36 PM   #59
JohnB1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
Nice reminder the thread bump. Just used my DirecTV app to set my DVR to record. I really don't need another show to watch. I think my DVR is hovering around 20% free space. I really need to start watching more TV.
You could do that after you finish all those unplayed games
Old 06-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #60
philw1776

Lately King has peppered his books with snide political comments. Not gonna subject myself to his sucker punches.

I did love Duma Key though even though as a science guy I don't like supernatural stuff. Loved the setting reading it while I was nearby in FL. When he's on, he's on, but...
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote