TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
AMike

Review of Original Philips Tivo

I was looking at my Amazon account the other night and discovered that I had written a review of my original Philips Tivo from 2000. It's amazing to think that 30 hours of hard drive space (of course it was basic quality!) was considered a lot back then.

Here is what I wrote:

Welcome to the Tivolution!, April 28, 2000

This review is from: Philips HDR312 TiVo 30-Hour Digital Video Recorder (Electronics)
Wow! I've had my Philips TiVo unit since December (my Christmas present to myself) and I have been quite impressed with it and think this is the greatest entertainment device since DirecTV.
I have the 30 hour unit which gives me a lot of room of programming. I generally record movies under the Best Quality setting and other programming under the other settings.

The other features I like are the Season Pass, the ability to pause live television and video quality and sound. The Season Pass feature enables me to never ever have to worry about having a tape in the vcr to tape programming or setting the timer In my life, I don't have the time to spend worrying about videotape.

Being a movie buff and a sports nut, the pause button comes in handy frequently when watching live television. One thing that I've done while watching sports is rewinding back to catch some of the action, thus avoiding commericals.

And finally the video/sound quality is outstanding. I have my TiVo hooked up to my home theatre system and the sound quality is not altered.

The drawbacks of the TiVo unit are trivial in my eyes, but I will point them out for the benefit of others who have DirecTV. If you have a DirecTV system or other DSS, you will find that it will take quite some time for the unit to index the channels/programs when initially setting it up. Patience is necessary. Second, do not ever turn off your DSS receiver. This will cause the TiVo unit to freeze the next time you attempt to use it.

I have no regrets with my decision to purchase the Philips TiVo unit and highly recommend it. You can finally control television instead of it controlling you.
1-TiVo Premiere XL4
1-TiVo Mini
AMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

I bought my first Philips 30 hour in April of 2000, right after they dropped the price from $699 to $399. By September of that same year I had 3. (2x14 hour, 1x30) I never used a VCR prior to that, but still saw the value of the product and have not watched live TV since.

Last edited by Dan203 : 07-01-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:31 PM   #3
mr.unnatural

I forget exactly when I got my first Tivo, but it was one of the original Philips HDR112 14-hour Tivos on sale for only $99. I spent every spare moment pouring over every single post at the AVSForum regarding development of Dylan's Boot Disk and anything related to upgrading the drive in this beast. This was back in the day before the Tivo Community Forum was created as a spinoff from the AVSForums.

I was working a job that had me on the road for months at a time back then so I had lots of time to absorb the latest Tivo hacking developments in my hotel room at night. I couldn't wait to get back home to try my first attempt at an upgrade. I still remember that feeling of accomplishment when I performed my first successful drive upgrade (got it working the very first time, too). I was hooked on Tivo from that day forward.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
Ilovetorecord2

I bought 2 tivos from the east coast (30hr) for $400 as on the west coast they were $699.

I joined directv either 1999 or 2000 and that was because comcast came out with a new box that my vcrs could not control. I have not watched live tv since 1987 and I recorded a lot.

I had to have people upgrade my tivos for me the first few years and then I took a computer class and started upgrading myself. It is hard for me to follow some of the instructions as it seens some of them are not complete or it could be me.

I still love tivo and have a series2 and a TR24 which I really do not like because some things seem hard to do but I needed a large drive as I record a lot and I was not sure if I took the other model that I could upgrade the hard drive.