TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #91
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
Isn't the point of six tuners to support their whole home initiative? 6 tuners isn't a ton if you have two or more minis tying them up.
Hopefully by the time the 6 tuner unit hits they will also have the software ready for dynamic tuner allocation for the Mini, so you wont have to actually dedicate a tuner for each Mini. If that's the case then all 6 tuners would be available for recording as long as a Mini wasn't actively being used to watch live TV. That's the ultimate setup that should appease all but the most hard core users.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #92
bobfrank

The only problem I see with that is what happens if all 6 tuners are recording and someone tries to watch a live program on the mini.

Bob
bobfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #93
Dan203
Super Moderator

I assume it will work like it does now and prompt them to either keep recording or cancel the recording to watch live TV. That's what would happen if you tried to change the live Tv channel on the TiVo itself.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #94
lpwcomp

Couldn't you sort of "fake" it now by not allocating any tuners to the mini and simply start a recording and stream it if you want to watch something.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #95
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yes you could. That's how the Stream does "live TV".
Old 06-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #96
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
What are you talking about? Mine picks up the midnight repeats constantly.
Me three...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #97
sneagle
Addicted Member

When will the conjecture end and TiVo announce--thus ending this round of arguing but starting the next round of complaints??
sneagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #98
Dan203
Super Moderator

Not until the FCC approves thier request. Even then probably not until it's actually available because they don't want to hurt sales of current units.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #99
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
I have a 4-tuner Elite and never miss a recording due to lack of tuners. And I pad pretty much every recording too. But I'm with Bierboy here, just me and the wifey watching shows so the box rarely has all 4 red lights on. 17 tuners is beyond overkill for two people because you can't possibly watch all that crap IMO, but to each his own.
The number of tuners required is whatever the user deems necessary to satisfy their viewing habits. There is no set number of tuners that is ideal for everyone, but if you only need two or four then you're all set. Not that I have to justify the number of tuners I have, all 17 tuners are available to a single PC, but all of them are not used by that PC. The five HDHR tuners are shared with other PCs. I wouldn't even have the HDHR tuners in the mix for the main HTPC, but it's more trouble than it's worth to have to disconnect them when I run WMC setup for the TV signal so they are included by default. Of the remaining eight cablecard tuners installed in the HTPC, I generally only use six of them at any given time.

The InfiniTV4 was the only PCI-e cablecard tuner available so I needed two of them to meet my minimum requirement of six. I didn't have the option to get only six PCI-e tuners of this type. All four of the ATSC tuners get used quite frequently so out of the twelve tuners installed in the HTPC, at least ten of them are put into service on a regular basis. Hardly what I would consider overkill in light of the way they're being used.

FWIW, I do watch everything I record as well as several shows I download from the internet, and once in a while I even get to sneak in a movie or two.

And finally, I have 17 tuners because I can. Suck it.

Last edited by mr.unnatural : 06-23-2013 at 07:20 PM.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:07 AM   #100
rogmatic

I am really curious about what mr. unnatural does for a living.
rogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:17 AM   #101
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
I'd agree that the average TiVo user doesn't need more than 6 (maybe even 4) tuners. However, I would also say that TiVo sucks at getting the repeats. If you have a show at lower priority on a cable channel that doesn't have a tuner to record, TiVo is too dumb to pick up the second showing at midnight or whatever.
Completely false, and if you order your SPs correctly with cable channels always lower than network you'll find that 4 tuners is usually plenty, because Tivo will always pick up a later cable showing.

I sometimes wonder if you actually use any DVR.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:24 AM   #102
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogmatic View Post
I am really curious about what mr. unnatural does for a living.
I'd tell you but then I'd have to kill you.

I have a full time job just like most of you. I also play pool in a league two nights a week. On the weekends I do the yard work and any other tasks that need doing (although my wife claims I don't finish most of them). I spent all last summer putting a new roof on my 2-story house which included removing about three dozen sheets of plywood and replacing them, not to mention having to fix a lot of dry rot on some of the trusses and other structural areas. I had to completely tear out a hip roof over the master bedroom to get to some of the damaged areas. The entire job took about 10 weeks and I used about 65 bundles of shingles that I had to hand carry up a ladder. FWIW, I did the entire job solo. I just celebrated my 62nd birthday last January.

I think I deserve a little TV time, don't you.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #103
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I'd tell you but then I'd have to kill you.

I have a full time job just like most of you. I also play pool in a league two nights a week. On the weekends I do the yard work and any other tasks that need doing (although my wife claims I don't finish most of them). I spent all last summer putting a new roof on my 2-story house which included removing about three dozen sheets of plywood and replacing them, not to mention having to fix a lot of dry rot on some of the trusses and other structural areas. I had to completely tear out a hip roof over the master bedroom to get to some of the damaged areas. The entire job took about 10 weeks and I used about 65 bundles of shingles that I had to hand carry up a ladder. FWIW, I did the entire job solo. I just celebrated my 62nd birthday last January.

I think I deserve a little TV time, don't you.
You should not have to prove anything to anybody on this forum, this forum is for information about TiVo and how to use it and solve problems, not about how many TiVo tuners or hours of TV watching anybody wants/needs/does.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #104
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
And finally, I have 17 tuners because I can. Suck it.
Yeah ok, good thing you're on FIOS because the card charges here on Comcast would be way too expensive for that kind of overkill. Not to mention tuner purchase cost, heat and power use, etc.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #105
lpwcomp

Quote:
Yeah ok, good thing you're on FIOS because the card charges here on Comcast would be way too expensive for that kind of overkill.
Theoretically not true, even if all of the tuners are cable tuners. If you say that the HTPC is one device and it is the only device you have, all you should pay is $3-$5/month for 2 "additional cards in the same device". Minus the "Customer owned equipment credit".

Old 06-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #106
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
I also play pool in a league two nights a week.
I'm a pool player too. Do you play APA or a local league? (I'm a 6 in the APA)
Old 06-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #107
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I'm a pool player too. Do you play APA or a local league? (I'm a 6 in the APA)
APA. I fluctuate between a 4 and a 5 in 8-ball (currently a 4) and I'm a 5 in 9-ball. I currently play in two 8-ball divisions and one 9-ball. I play in both the Maryland Area, which happens to be the largest APA league in the country, and the Greater Washington D.C. area leagues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
You should not have to prove anything to anybody on this forum, this forum is for information about TiVo and how to use it and solve problems, not about how many TiVo tuners or hours of TV watching anybody wants/needs/does.
Not trying to prove anything. Someone asked what I do for a living and I responded. I also wanted to point out that I do other things besides watch TV.

Quote:
Yeah ok, good thing you're on FIOS because the card charges here on Comcast would be way too expensive for that kind of overkill. Not to mention tuner purchase cost, heat and power use, etc.
I pay for just three cablecards @ $3.99 apiece. Tuners are much cheaper than Tivos and probably use much less power than an entire Tivo. It's cheap to add tuners to a HTPC so why not do it? Heat really isn't an issue with proper ventilation.

Again with the overkill. If you read what I said about it previously you'll clearly see that it's anything but overkill. It all depends on how you use the tuners, and I use just about all of them. There are lots of people here with multiple Tivos and I'm sure they don't see it as overkill.

Last edited by mr.unnatural : 06-24-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #108

Is there any chance the new TiVos won't need SDV boxes?
ort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #109
SullyND
W:29-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ort View Post
Only in areas that don't require SDV. There is no standard for SDV that TiVo could adopt.
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #110
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ort View Post
Highly doubtful since there is no real standard. Personally, I hope not since it would be additional cost for something I don't need. I feel the same way about built-in wireless.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #111
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
Yeah, so I'm hearing there's a possibility of two versions - one with that 3TB drive you mention ("XL" ?). Also sounds like WiFi could be in the mix, but I'm waiting for more intel on that point and I'd rather use my MoCA.
This is just what I would need to replace my two Premiere Elites. although 4TB would be even better.

EDIT: Although six tuners for me is the bare minimum. I would need dynamic tuner allocation. And that is without any padding. If I started padding shows I would need two of these new six tuner boxes. But my plan is to get down to one cable card. If i can sell both of my lifetime Elites to cover the cost of a Lifetime six tuner box(with extended warranty) with 3TB of storage(and built in stream capabilities) I will be exremely pleased.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 06-24-2013 at 02:44 PM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:37 PM   #112
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
APA. I fluctuate between a 4 and a 5 in 8-ball (currently a 4) and I'm a 5 in 9-ball. I currently play in two 8-ball divisions and one 9-ball. I play in both the Maryland Area, which happens to be the largest APA league in the country, and the Greater Washington D.C. area leagues.
I use to play 4 nights a week between APA and local leagues. Kind of burnt myself out so now I'm down to 1 night a week. (tonight) Although I may play 9 ball again in the fall. (I'm an 8 in 9 ball)

Ok back to the topic at hand.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #113
innocentfreak

Hopefully if it takes 3TB, you can upgrade to 4TB.

Of course if they allowed you to use the Stream to transfer to the PC while transcoding on the fly, you could just push the smaller format back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #114
Dan203
Super Moderator

FYI you don't have to "push" H.264 any more. We discovered a way to use TS files to pull H.264 to a Premiere without transcoding. The latest version of pyTiVo has code that will detect H.264 and automatically remux to the proper TS format without recoding. So you can now pull H.264 files to your TiVo just like you would an MPEG-2 file and it will be left as-is size/quality wise.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #115
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Repeating myself

I really hope TiVo moves quick on this once the FCC waiver goes through.

TiVo will have some serious competition for consumer dollars if they release in October.

If I could only buy one, I would keep my Elite and buy the console(s) first. TiVo will always be available so I can pick that up next year. If anything like with the Elite, waiting may get you a better deal if the price drops. I don't think it will this time around though since it is a new platform, but there is always the chance since sales never happen at launch.

I just hope they aren't expecting big numbers in the first quarter of sales. It could well be up to a year before those people buy since they will have just spent $460+ on hardware and games. Most aren't going to turn around and spend up to $1000 on TiVo.

Right Now the PS4 is rumored Oct 29-November 14th and the Xbox One is rumored the 21st of November.
The six TiVo is my top priority, with the XBOne second, and the PS4 third. I will get the first two this year but only the PS4 this year if a PS3 and Xbox360 trade in will cover the cost of a PS4.

Plus if I go the BestBuy route, like I did with the Elite, I should be able to get a least 18 months no interest financing, plus a 4 year extended warranty on the six tuner TiVo.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #116
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Hopefully that gets them moving on it. We're really going to need it come the fall, and for Sochi.

2TB isn't much on FIOS.
It will be if they start switching to H.264.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #117
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The six TiVo is my top priority, with the XBOne second, and the PS4 third. I will get the first two this year but only the PS4 this year if a PS3 and Xbox360 trade in will cover the cost of a PS4.

Plus if I go the BestBuy route, like I did with the Elite, I should be able to get a least 18 months no interest financing, plus a 4 year extended warranty on the six tuner TiVo.
May want to read the new Reward Zone rules if you care about the points. You can get the points or 0% but not both.

They just announced this when they announced going forward points no longer expire.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #118
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
FYI you don't have to "push" H.264 any more. We discovered a way to use TS files to pull H.264 to a Premiere without transcoding. The latest version of pyTiVo has code that will detect H.264 and automatically remux to the proper TS format without recoding. So you can now pull H.264 files to your TiVo just like you would an MPEG-2 file and it will be left as-is size/quality wise.
I was more referring to push just as a way to send the content back, not necessarily due to the format, but good to know.

I was just thinking of the autopush functionality.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #119
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
May want to read the new Reward Zone rules if you care about the points. You can get the points or 0% but not both.

They just announced this when they announced going forward points no longer expire.
Well that sucks. I did read something but I never looked at it too closely. I hope they at least keep the 60 day return policy. Since without reward zone silver the return policy is only 14 days now. Or did they change that too?

EDIT: I wonder if you can get around the financing and points issue buy getting gift cards with the financing and then using the gift cards for the purchase of the item?

Last edited by aaronwt : 06-24-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #120
brewman

FWIW, Tivo is running a sale through 6/28 on the Premier with lifetime service.
- $449 : Premier 500 GB w/ Lifetime
- $549 : Premier 4 w/ Lifetime
- $699 : Premiere XL4 w/ Lifetiime

Sure seems like they're clearing inventory for a new product line.
brewman is offline   Reply With Quote