TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #61
Ment

I don't think they'll bring this format back again. Its not as exciting for the reality show fan who happens to watch this show vs gun/weapons fan who happens to watch a reality show.

Impressed with Gabby again with the longbow. Pulling it back as far as she did with her smaller frame really impacts your accuracy and she overcame it to score well. The final challenge not so much a fan. Seemed loading the rounds was more important than marksmanship and even though familiarity with a weapon system is part of the challenge, I like ones weighted more towards accuracy.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #62
vertigo235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
I don't think they'll bring this format back again. Its not as exciting for the reality show fan who happens to watch this show vs gun/weapons fan who happens to watch a reality show.

Impressed with Gabby again with the longbow. Pulling it back as far as she did with her smaller frame really impacts your accuracy and she overcame it to score well. The final challenge not so much a fan. Seemed loading the rounds was more important than marksmanship and even though familiarity with a weapon system is part of the challenge, I like ones weighted more towards accuracy.
I hope you are wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #63
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
I hope you are wrong.
I hope so too. Anybody know what the ratings are so far vs. for the previous seasons?
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #64
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDawg View Post
I hope so too. Anybody know what the ratings are so far vs. for the previous seasons?
Don't know the numbers for last season but last episode was a 0.5 in the 10pm timeslot which was the same as Mythbusters which is on the 9pm time slot. Assuming unknown players next season I don't think this format woud be as good for ratings but that just my opinion.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #65
RonDawg

If it's doing as well as Mythbusters, I would say it's doing quite well
Old 06-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #66
sieglinde

I am not a firearms fan. I prefer reality shows that show extreme skill and not drama. I am learning a lot also. Such as don't use a Gatling gun during the zombie apocalypse because it is a fiddley thing to load.. I wonder if there was something wrong with the feed mechanism or if the winner was just more dexterous.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #67
vertigo235

I'm not sure if this is the case in the main competition but they made a point that Jamie only did one time and the other guy did two clips of time. I wonder if that had something to do with the issues of feeding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #68
pmyers

This is my first season of watching the show...I also watch most reality shows. I find this one refreshing BECAUSE of the lack of drama. I enjoy that you really do determine your own fate.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #69
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
This is my first season of watching the show...I also watch most reality shows. I find this one refreshing BECAUSE of the lack of drama. I enjoy that you really do determine your own fate.
This is a great season for you to start watching then. All the seasons before this had them 'voting' for who they wanted to go head-to-head in the end. It was so much drama it was almost unwatchable.

I love this season since they got rid of all that mess. I hope they keep it going.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:58 PM   #70
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
This is a great season for you to start watching then. All the seasons before this had them 'voting' for who they wanted to go head-to-head in the end. It was so much drama it was almost unwatchable.
Yeah Season 2 was especially bad. George Rheinas had convinced a select group (which included Gunny and Joe) to be his pals and to as much as possible vote Jaime into elimination. That was the "politics" that Jaime spoke of when he had to go to elimination last week, not from politics or even screwing up, but two of the shooters just shot even better than he did.

Season 4 was perhaps most drama-free of all the seasons prior to this one. Greg tried to pull a George Rheinas, but unlike that of George, Greg's performance was too inconsistent to let him become house bully.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #71
jeepair

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
I'm not sure if this is the case in the main competition but they made a point that Jamie only did one time and the other guy did two clips of time. I wonder if that had something to do with the issues of feeding.
The extra weight of more ammo in the feed slot makes it harder for the rounds to drop. The slot is only open so far and the thickness of the cartridge rim will bind when more cartridges are pushing down from above. You have to 'fan' the bullets several times to make them travel down the slot.
jeepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #72
HIHZia
Mad Turk

Sad to see Gabby go. I think Kelly's mistake was to put her first on the domino. I think he should have put her on the sixth slot. That probably wouldn't have gone over well with the boys though.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #73
sieglinde

Sorry to see her go. Now I have to figure out who I want to win
Old 06-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #74
Tivortex
Cherished Member

Gabby will be missed in our house. She's an amazing marksperson and a great sport.

I like the general humbleness of the entire cast. It's a refreshing change from smack talking losers on most TV competitions.

I also just love the high speed photography shots, catching bullets in flight and watching shock waves travel through the shooters bodies.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:54 PM   #75
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivortex View Post
Gabby will be missed in our house. She's an amazing marksperson and a great sport.
This.

Quote:
I like the general humbleness of the entire cast. It's a refreshing change from smack talking losers on most TV competitions.
Or for that matter, the first four seasons of Top Shot. I mentioned it earlier, but the sportsmanship is vastly improved, and really showed during the archery competition.

Quote:
I also just love the high speed photography shots, catching bullets in flight and watching shock waves travel through the shooters bodies.
I've always found the show's cinematography to be impressive.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #76
sieglinde

The bullet hitting the ax blade. Wow
Old 07-18-2013, 04:12 AM   #77
RonDawg

Unfortunately a bit of the interpersonal politics has come back, with Kelly once again being seen as the odd-duck in the house. Unless there is something going to happen later in the season, I'm not sure what the point was of even mentioning it. Peter's remark of some of them wanting to see Kelly go to elimination, and Chris' remark of how "once again" Kelly was in the lead in the "Wheel of Colby" challenge, both came across as petty jealously.

That was a close race between Gary and Jamie at the end. Jamie was very confident he was going to win...perhaps a bit too confident after he aced the 1 mile sniper shot last week (which he also won on Season 2, albeit with 2 shots). I was hoping Jamie would have gone a bit further this Season then he did in Season 2.

Last edited by RonDawg : 07-18-2013 at 04:18 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:17 AM   #78
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
I was wondering how much of the Kelly talk was actual tension and how much was producer-manufactured "tension". I think it's kind of natural when Kelly hasn't even come close to having to participate in the elimination challenge for some of them to be curious about how he'd do or to wish he had to be in it. And I can see the comments being totally benign when made.

Is it real jealousy/pettiness, or just editing? Could be either one at this point. And I would hope that it's NOT pettiness, as much as I would hope that it's not just the producers trying to gin up tension for drama's sake. With this group of shooters, I can certainly see them wishing the brash (or not so brash), young kid would have to feel some of the pressure of facing elimination without them being petty.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #79
RonDawg

Just like in Season 1, I do think that at least a few of them do feel threatened by "the kid." This season especially he seems untouchable, and he's only gone to the Proving Ground because he was part of a losing team, and never had to go to Elimination. Along with Chris and Phil, Kelly is a good candidate for the $100k and the speed boat.

I'm just surprised that the comments have come from Chris and Pete, who in Season 1 were among the most drama-free of that group.

Last edited by RonDawg : 07-18-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:19 AM   #80
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

For the first time this season I watched a few of the house scenes. Of course it would be when they are bitching about Kelly. It surprised me that Peter would say anything, though he seemed to feel the same about Chris. And I can totally see why Chris would say what he did. He is ultra, ultra competitive. I think more than anyone in the house. Adam, though, he just comes across as a dick when it comes to Kelly. He needs to let it go. I was really hoping he would go to elimination.

I'd love to see Kelly win this but I don't think he will. I have a bad feeling he's going to end up in an elimination challenge with some crazy weapon and lose it. Like, for example, what was shown in next week's preview. I hate seeing weapons like that in elimination challenges. The atlatl as well. The elimination challenges should be more skill based. If Kelly doesn't win I'd like to see Chris or Gary take the prize.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:48 AM   #81
JoBeth66
Temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchBrake View Post
For the first time this season I watched a few of the house scenes. Of course it would be when they are bitching about Kelly. It surprised me that Peter would say anything, though he seemed to feel the same about Chris. And I can totally see why Chris would say what he did. He is ultra, ultra competitive. I think more than anyone in the house. Adam, though, he just comes across as a dick when it comes to Kelly. He needs to let it go. I was really hoping he would go to elimination.

I'd love to see Kelly win this but I don't think he will. I have a bad feeling he's going to end up in an elimination challenge with some crazy weapon and lose it. Like, for example, what was shown in next week's preview. I hate seeing weapons like that in elimination challenges. The atlatl as well. The elimination challenges should be more skill based. If Kelly doesn't win I'd like to see Chris or Gary take the prize.
Very much agreed. Kelly impressed me first season, and he's impressed me even more this season. The kid is just /good/.

I'm loving the drama free proving ground as opposed to the 'nomination range'. For this type of show, it makes sense that the poorest performer goes home. No infighting, no cliques, no BS drama. I really, really hope they keep the format.
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #82
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
For the first time this season I watched a few of the house scenes.
As far as I can recall, this was the first time this season there were so many house scenes. That's one of the things I've enjoyed the most this time around.

meh
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #83
Amnesia
The Question

I wonder if the only reason they showed those "Kelly doesn't fit in at the house" scenes was because the guy who won the challenge talked about how much he just wanted to beat Kelly and so the producers wanted to give his comment some context.
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #84
pmyers

Quote:
...I hate seeing weapons like that in elimination challenges. The atlatl as well. The elimination challenges should be more skill based...
I disagree because the 2 challanges that got you to the elimination are based on skill, so I say "let the freak flag fly" when it comes to the elimination challange.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #85
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
I disagree because the 2 challanges that got you to the elimination are based on skill, so I say "let the freak flag fly" when it comes to the elimination challange.
I'd rather flip it then. Make the prior challenge fruity.

You make a great point about two challenges to get there. I kinda forgot about that since there is no voting this year.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:43 PM   #86
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Wow - I thought Kelly had a pretty decent shot to win the whole thing. I always hate when they mess up something that the mentors expressly tell them not to mess up - especially when they make a point of saying, 'I'm glad he pointed that out and I'll be sure not to mess that up'.

I did figure he was really in trouble, though, when he pooched the proving ground shot with the pistol.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #87
pmyers

I can't believe Kelly pooched that pistol shot so bad.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #88
snowjay
40mph couch potato

None of the 3 that shot the SIG really excelled.
snowjay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #89
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

I have to admit I'm less interested now that Kelly is gone.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #90
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjay View Post
None of the 3 that shot the SIG really excelled.
Including the guy that supposedly uses it all of the time (Chris).