TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-14-2013, 01:43 AM   #9511
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
On the download page,

Don't click on the link with the addresses, look to the left and click on the little icon and that will start the download. The link on the right is just a link to the host.
Clicking on any of those brings up just yet another damn ad site with no clear way to download it. None at all. MOre adds, and always "ultimatebootcd" is one of those ads.

Please give me a sha1sum of the complete iso in case I ever find the damn thing.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:46 AM   #9512
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
Clicking on any of those brings up just yet another damn ad site with no clear way to download it. None at all. MOre adds, and always "ultimatebootcd" is one of those ads.

Please give me a sha1sum of the complete iso in case I ever find the damn thing.
Namely, this:

http://100-downloads.com/download.php?p=376#p376

Oh, but this one gets something:

http://www.serverninjas.com/ultimate...ot-cd-download

I think I have two copies now, from different sites. If they agree, I'll try this.

(I miss FTP.)
Old 06-14-2013, 01:48 AM   #9513
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
On the download page,

Don't click on the link with the names, look to the left and click on the little icon (a disk drive with an arrow) and that will start the download. The link on the right is just a link to the host.
I was just thinking of TiVo's own website with their gigantic SUBMIT buttons, that only work if your mouse is dead-center on the button. Sometimes, it's best to have that extra bar on the bottom of your browser that gives you an indication of what, if anything, will happen when clicking on things ...or if anything is happening.

The UBCD site is much easier to navigate with that on, as well.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:56 AM   #9514
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

I think I have UBCD524 burned properly now.

If someone has that iso someplace, please post a sha1sum of it here to give me some confidence it's the right one. It's 519M so it's not nothin...
Old 06-14-2013, 02:00 AM   #9515
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post

Scroll down about a page until you see part of the page similar to what I posted. Its a tiny icon so its easy to miss. I am downloading it right now, ubcd524.iso, is the file.

If you notice in my posted picture, see the dotted square around one of those icons (to the left of "PC Babble"), I had clicked it and it downloads.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #9516
JohnnyO
Crimper

The 1GB upgraded drive I installed in a TiVoHD in 2008 is starting to fail, so I'm going to replace it with a similar (or 2 GB) drive. Looking at the note string, WinMFS seems a strong favorite tool these days. What version do folks recommend? It looks like 9.3Beta f and g are the most recent.
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:35 AM   #9517
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
The 1GB upgraded drive I installed in a TiVoHD in 2008 is starting to fail, so I'm going to replace it with a similar (or 2 GB) drive. Looking at the note string, WinMFS seems a strong favorite tool these days. What version do folks recommend? It looks like 9.3Beta f and g are the most recent.
EDIT TO ADD:

Almost forgot, be sure your problem is really a failing drive and not a failing power supply (although it could be both)

--we now return you to your regularly scheduled post--

Unless you're living in Australia and upgrading an Australian model TiVo, use 9.3f

The documentation isn't exactly up to date--I guess spike has better things to do these days, like maybe making a living.

If you don't already have it and can't register to download it, email or PM me through this site (TCF).

You need to be running version 11.0k of the TiVo software to use a 2TB drive Maybe a previous version will work but "k" is the most recent so you might as well have it anyway, and if you've had the TiVo online lately you probably do.

You copy the old drive to the new one or restore a .tbk WinMFS truncated image file to the new drive, and then tell it no when it says there's extra space, do you want to expand.

Then you select the new drive and click on mfsinfo, and make sure everything looks okay.

At that point you can then expand by using mfsadd (part of WinMFS, as are mfscopy and mfsinfo), and telling it not to limit partition size to 1.2TB, or you can take the unexpanded drive and put it in the TiVo and make sure it works okay and then hook it back up to the PC and use WinMFS to expand.

If you've restored from a pre-11.0k truncated image, then you need to do that to get it up to "k" first anyway.

Start looking for a good deal on a 2TB WD20EURS.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011

Last edited by unitron : 06-15-2013 at 12:40 AM.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:45 AM   #9518
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
I was just thinking of TiVo's own website with their gigantic SUBMIT buttons, that only work if your mouse is dead-center on the button. Sometimes, it's best to have that extra bar on the bottom of your browser that gives you an indication of what, if anything, will happen when clicking on things ...or if anything is happening.

The UBCD site is much easier to navigate with that on, as well.
Since my newest UBCD .iso is from over a year ago I figured I grab the latest one.

Clicked on the little (shades of Win 3.0) drive icon (figured that one out last time around) for older geeks, which launched their web page (or at least one of them) with a bunch of stuff on it and the actual thing to click for the download way down near the bottom, so be warned.

Once I found the right place it downloaded quickly and smoothly.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #9519
bomberjim

I'm interested in re-upgrading my wife's Tivo HD. Currently it's running a 500GB drive that was created with InstantCake back when it was purchased. I have a (virtually) unused 1.5 TB Seagate drive (ST 31500541AS) that I'd like to upgrade to. I have several questions as follows:

1. Any reason that this model Seagate wouldn't work?

2. I've downloaded Winfms beta 9.3f is this the best program to use? Are the most current instructions on page 1 of this thread?

3. I assume I can use the current 500GB drive as the source and the 1.5 TB drive as the target, correct?

4. Anything else I should be careful of or need to know? I've tried to read some of the info on this thread, but it's getting quite long.

Thanks very much,
Jim L
bomberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #9520
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjim View Post
I'm interested in re-upgrading my wife's Tivo HD. Currently it's running a 500GB drive that was created with InstantCake back when it was purchased. I have a (virtually) unused 1.5 TB Seagate drive (ST 31500541AS) that I'd like to upgrade to. I have several questions as follows:

1. Any reason that this model Seagate wouldn't work?
No. Essentially any drive will work. The issues you may have with a non AV drive is noise, heat, and shortened time to failure. The operative word is 'may'.

Quote:
2. I've downloaded Winfms beta 9.3f is this the best program to use? Are the most current instructions on page 1 of this thread?
Yes and most probably.

Quote:
3. I assume I can use the current 500GB drive as the source and the 1.5 TB drive as the target, correct?
Yes

Quote:
4. Anything else I should be careful of or need to know? I've tried to read some of the info on this thread, but it's getting quite long.

Thanks very much,
Jim L
Check the drive for errors with the manufacturer diagnostic before you start writing to it. Make sure you run WinMFS as administrator. Everything takes longer than you think.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #9521
highvista

I wanted to give a short report on my upgrade of a Tivo Series 3, TCD648250B, from a 750GB drive to a 2TB drive. The new drive is a Western Digital 2TB AV-GP, WD20EURS. The Tivo is running software version 11.0k-01-2-648, and the System Information for the unit shows up to 318 HD hours of recording capacity.

I used WinMFS to copy the contents of my 750GB drive to the new 2TB drive. I had supersizing turned on. I believe I was offered the chance to expand the drive size, but I also used the "mfsadd" function of WinMFS.

I used the wdidle program to verify that the WD20EURS already had the IDLE3 function disabled. Important note: Make sure you attach the drive directly to your motherboard's SATA bus. I tried using wdidle with the drive in an external dock that is attached to the internal bus, and wdidle saw the drive, but it kept reporting an error and not showing the IDLE3 state.

My biggest problem was that when I put the new drive into the Tivo and powered it up, I'd get the "Welcome" screen for a couple minuntes, along with the proper front lights showing on the unit. Then, the lights would go out, the amber light would flash, my TV screen would blank, and then the "Welcome" screen re-appear. I was stuck in an endless boot loop. But the original drive worked just fine and booted normally.

After much fiddling and research, I finally realized that this might be a sign that my power supply was going bad. Sure enough, three capacitors on the power supply had domed, swollen tops, indicating they were going bad. I replaced these capacitors and now the Tivo boots normally with the 2TB drive. I'm guessing that the new drive is drawing enough extra power during boot over the old 750GB drive that the failing capacitors couldn't handle it and induced the boot looping.

Hopefully, this will help out anyone with similar issues. Here are some URLs that were very useful to me through this process:

Series 3 stuck in "Welcome! Powering up..." loop
Bad capacitors in power supply
What's wrong with my S3?
highvista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #9522
JohnnyO
Crimper

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Unless you're living in Australia and upgrading an Australian model TiVo, use 9.3f

The documentation isn't exactly up to date--I guess spike has better things to do these days, like maybe making a living.
The process went smoothly. It turned out I already had 9.3f from replacing the drive in my other TiVoHD about 14 months ago.

Interestingly, the two drives that went bad were two of the originally recommended WD Green drives that are no longer on the recommended list. Both of my TiVoHD's now have AV rated WD drives. Hopefully I'll get more than 3 years out of them. Of course, hopefully TiVo will have new systems that I see value in upgrading to in that timeframe.

John
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:45 AM   #9523
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
The process went smoothly. It turned out I already had 9.3f from replacing the drive in my other TiVoHD about 14 months ago.

Interestingly, the two drives that went bad were two of the originally recommended WD Green drives that are no longer on the recommended list. Both of my TiVoHD's now have AV rated WD drives. Hopefully I'll get more than 3 years out of them. Of course, hopefully TiVo will have new systems that I see value in upgrading to in that timeframe.

John
Just for the benefit of others, the "recommended drive list", generally, is outdated, reflects drives for older units, and/or is just biased. People have been upgrading using drives that others have claimed are NOT recommended. I can't argue, that an AV drive, when they are on sale, is a no-brainer. However, when not on-sale, and either meeting, or beating, the prices of non-AV drives, it leaves you spending money for features that TiVos (even the most recent ones) don't use, known as the "streaming command set". When this is the situation, an AV drive reads/writes, just the same as any other non-AV drive. Why TiVo uses AV drives, in the first place, is probably a condition of their terms with WD, or WD simply offers TiVo the same pricing on both types, leaving it a no-brainer for TiVo.

The streaming command set features of any AV drive MUST BE supported by the hardware of the device, the software of the device, and must be enabled. I just checked my TiVo logs from a Premiere, and even though the drive, and TiVo Premiere, BOTH support SATA2, TiVo sets the transfer mode to SATA1, via software. So, that's even further proof that TiVo is NOT using the full capabilities of the drives they install at the factory.

The above paragraph contains a lot of information that people LOVE to argue about. The key is in what's opinion, or just misinformation, that some have read elsewhere, then pass along, without confirming for themselves. I've spent years digging into it. It's mostly the upgrade vendors that offer pre-imaged drives, that provide the BULK of the misinformation, to scare people into thinking that they NEED AV drives, and it gets passed along in the forums, without confirming the facts. Even though WD advertises AV drives as 24/7 rated, it's also just a marketing tactic. If you study the actual published data sheets, you'll find that the MTBF rating, and drive power-on hours ratings, are the SAME. All modern drives are fully capable of 24/7 operation, in non-standby, non-power saving, use. The manufactures COUNT ON people not digging any deeper than the one-page, bold-print, piece of advertising literature, and NOT studying the fine-print of the multi-page data sheets. It works, and works well. That's why they do it. They make more money that way.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #9524
unitron

The WD20EURS gives you the most size you can use in an S3 or S4 (and a better GB/$ ratio than smaller drives), usually at as good a price as any other 2TB drive, with a 3 year warranty, and runs fairly cool and quiet, and seems to have as good a history in TiVos as any other drive, if not better.

If you're buying a new drive instead of using something you already have on hand, I don't see any compelling reason to use anything else.

You just have to wait for it to go on sale.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #9525
tluxon

WinMFS copy 750GB to 2TB WD20EURS - Status seems stuck

I bought a 2TB WD20EURS back in January to upgrade one of my TiVoHD's with. The drive in the TiVoHD is a Seagate 750GB DB35 drive that I MFSlive'd 4 or 5 years ago and I had never had a problem with it until about a month ago. Since then it has frozen in the middle of playback and caused a reboot of the TiVo about 3 times, so I figured it was about time to replace it.

This morning I checked all the capacitors on the TiVo's power supply and mainboard and they looked like new, so I decided to go ahead with the upgrade. I chose to try the WinMFS method because I already had it downloaded to my old PC that runs WinXP SP3 off an IDE drive and has two SATA drive slots as well. I ran WDIDLE3 /r to confirm that IDLE was disabled and then booted into WinXP to start WinMFS (beta 9.3f).

The copy began just as expected about 1hr 45m ago, and the first 6 bars on the status graph filled in in just a few minutes. The 7th bar filled in about 20 minutes later, but now it's been another 1-1/2 hours without any further progress appear.

Any experience with something like this?

Should I ignore the lack of updating of the status bar (I don't recall this being the way it worked when I upgraded another TiVoHD a couple years ago), or could it be a sign of trouble reading from the source drive?

Can the process be interrupted by shutting off the power so I can try my MFSlive CD? (or JMFS, whichever might give me more status information such as a copying bitrate?)

If there are problems reading the drive, are there any other methods to recover the programs that are still recoverable (which will almost certainly diminish the longer I leave the drive spinning)?

What do you think?
tluxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #9526
tluxon

I was able to cancel the operation in WinMFS and shut down the computer without having to "pull the plug".

I burned the JMFS ISO to a CD and booted to it. So far it has copied about 95GB at an average rate of about 47400 KB/s (sure is nice to see that number update every second so I can confirm that reading and writing is actually occuring).

First, I'm just hoping this thing can work through difficult-to-read blocks and make it to the end of the process. Then, as long as the expand and supersize steps go as I imagine they should, I hope to have the TiVo back up and running in 4-6 hours (depending on how much of a delay any tough-to-read blocks generate).

----------------
Edit (update):
Okay, I'm now about 1 h 50 m in, and copying is still chugging away at 318GB so far with 0 errors. Unless JMFS and WinMFS copy from the source differently, I'm wondering if there might have been nothing wrong with the WinMFS procedure other than receiving absolutely zero feedback that the copy was progressing. In other words, I MAY have just added another 2 hours to an already lengthy process by aborting it. However, I'm just NOT going to let a questionable HDD keep spinning doing nothing (apparently) when it has content on it that I would prefer to try and retain before it's destroyed.

In any case, I'm on the JMFS bus now and would love comments on how the partition table may come out different than it would've under WinMFS. Is the fact that the source drive already had 11.0k on it and had been supersized when it was created enough to be assured I won't be exceeding the 16 partition limit when expanding and supersizing? And do I even NEED to supersize if the SOURCE drive already HAD been supersized?

Thanks!

Last edited by tluxon : 06-22-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #9527
jmbach

Hmmmm. Will be interesting to see. If I understand you correctly, the current drive in the TiVo is a 750gb drive that was created by copying and expanding the original drive. So the 750gb drive should have a total of 15 partitions. WinMFS would copy it and expand the 15th partition to use the rest of the drive. Whereas JMFS would add a 16th colasced partition. It may work. Never tried that setup. If it does please post back.

Your other option at this time if you want to still use WinMFS is to exit JMFS after the copy process then boot windows and run WinMFS MFSAdd. If the original image is supersized already you will not be able to supersize again. It will follow the copy process.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:39 PM   #9528
tluxon

The copy is just about done (739 GB) with one (oops, a second one just popped up as I typed this) error so far.

I had actually thought of shutting down JMFS after the copy and starting WinXP again to try to do the MFSadd (expand), but I wasn't sure if it was any different than doing the expand in JMFS, which I'm already in.

Are you pretty sure JMFS will create a new partition to expand into as opposed to WinMFS simply expanding the last existing one? Or is that what you thought I should find out. If JMFS creates a new partition that I don't want, what would I need to do then?

Perhaps it's safer to do it with WinMFS just to be sure I'm not creating a situation (extra partition) that's harder to get out of, but I'm sure many would like to know if they can stay in JMFS for this if it's not already known, so maybe I'll just 'take this one for the team'.

As I finished typing this, I see the copy is up to 745 GB with now numerous (9) errors, so I hope this thing's going to complete.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:48 PM   #9529
tluxon

Well, I just checked on it again and it's frozen at 750156 MB with 10 errors and 3+ minutes since the last successful read. What could I possibly do from here?
Old 06-23-2013, 12:30 AM   #9530
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluxon View Post
Well, I just checked on it again and it's frozen at 750156 MB with 10 errors and 3+ minutes since the last successful read. What could I possibly do from here?
Go to bed and see what the morning brings.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:31 AM   #9531
tluxon

Okay, it finally said it was copied successfully after a couple 5-10 minute periods without a successful read. The errors pushed me into the direction of chickening out and doing the expand (MFSadd) in WinMFS. Nonetheless, I thought it might satisfy some curiosities to post the MFSinfo.txt file I got out of WinMFS before and after the expand.

After JMFS copy:

Partition Maps
#: type name length base ( size )
1 Apple_partition_map Apple 63@1 ( 31.5K)
2 Image Bootstrap 1 1@309550766 ( 512.0 )
3 Image Kernel 1 8192@309550767 ( 4.0M)
4 Ext2 Root 1 524288@309558959 ( 256.0M)
5 Image Bootstrap 2 1@310083247 ( 512.0 )
6 Image Kernel 2 8192@310083248 ( 4.0M)
7 Ext2 Root 2 524288@310091440 ( 256.0M)
8 Swap Linux swap 262144@310615728 ( 128.0M)
9 Ext2 /var 524288@310877872 ( 256.0M)
10 MFS MFS application region 589824@311402160 ( 288.0M)
11 MFS MFS media region 137630712@171920054 ( 65.6G)
12 MFS MFS application region 2 589824@311991984 ( 288.0M)
13 MFS MFS media region 2 171919990@64 ( 82.0G)
14 MFS MFS App by Winmfs 2048@312581808 ( 1.0M)
15 MFS MFS Media by Winmfs 1152552960@312583856 ( 549.6G)

Total SA SD Hours: 780 Total DTV SD Hours: 681 1 % Free
Software: 11.0k-01-2-652 Tivo Model: TCD652160

After WinMFS MFSadd:

Partition Maps
15 MFS MFS Expanded by Winmfs 3594444800@312583856 ( 1.7T)

Total SA SD Hours: 2083 Total DTV SD Hours: 1818 63 % Free

So, as you can see, even in JMFS the last two partitions are Winmfs partitions. I'm pretty certain the JMFS expand would simply expand the last partition (I had SuperSize off both before and after, so there was no Apple partition at the end) just like WinMFS did.

Now it's time to put the new drive in the TiVo and start it up.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:39 AM   #9532
jmbach

Quote:
The copy is just about done (739 GB) with one (oops, a second one just popped up as I typed this) error so far.

I had actually thought of shutting down JMFS after the copy and starting WinXP again to try to do the MFSadd (expand), but I wasn't sure if it was any different than doing the expand in JMFS, which I'm already in.

Are you pretty sure JMFS will create a new partition to expand into as opposed to WinMFS simply expanding the last existing one? Or is that what you thought I should find out. If JMFS creates a new partition that I don't want, what would I need to do then?

Perhaps it's safer to do it with WinMFS just to be sure I'm not creating a situation (extra partition) that's harder to get out of, but I'm sure many would like to know if they can stay in JMFS for this if it's not already known, so maybe I'll just 'take this one for the team'.

As I finished typing this, I see the copy is up to 745 GB with now numerous (9) errors, so I hope this thing's going to complete.
I am fairly certain that JMFS will create a 16th colasced partition. What I am not sure about is if your TiVo will boot up and run with it. Colasced partitions work as that is what JMFS does with the original drives of TivoHDs and premieres. But that being the 16th partition and working in don't know. If it doesn't work then you have two options. One is to re copy the drive with either JMFS (which is better if your original drive has errors) and expand with WinMFS or do it all with WinMFS. The other which is more technical but faster would require you to copy specific blocks from the original drive to the new drive.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:47 AM   #9533
jmbach

Quote:
Okay, it finally said it was copied successfully after a couple 5-10 minute periods without a successful read. The errors pushed me into the direction of chickening out and doing the expand (MFSadd) in WinMFS. Nonetheless, I thought it might satisfy some curiosities to post the MFSinfo.txt file I got out of WinMFS before and after the expand.

After JMFS copy:

Partition Maps
15 MFS MFS Media by Winmfs 1152552960@312583856 ( 549.6G)

Total SA SD Hours: 780 Total DTV SD Hours: 681 1 % Free

After WinMFS MFSadd:

Partition Maps
15 MFS MFS Expanded by Winmfs 3594444800@312583856 ( 1.7T)

Total SA SD Hours: 2083 Total DTV SD Hours: 1818 63 % Free

So, as you can see, even in JMFS the last two partitions are Winmfs partitions. I'm pretty certain the JMFS expand would simply expand the last partition (I had SuperSize off both before and after, so there was no Apple partition at the end) just like WinMFS did.

Now it's time to put the new drive in the TiVo and start it up.
That is because JMFS just copied the whole original drive over to the new drive. No modifications were done to the drive at that stage.
The Apple_free partition has nothing to do with supersize.
JMFS will not expand the last partition like WinMFS does, it will add a colasced partition.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:57 AM   #9534
tluxon

I had to break away for a bit, but everything's working as it was supposed to and I've now got 318HD/2777SD hours of recording space now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
That is because JMFS just copied the whole original drive over to the new drive. No modifications were done to the drive at that stage.
The Apple_free partition has nothing to do with supersize.
JMFS will not expand the last partition like WinMFS does, it will add a colasced partition.
By coalesced, I assume you mean an additional 'media' partition that is spanned with the already existent 65.6G and 549.6G 'media' partitions. It looks like I still would've just made it inside the 16 partition limit, though, so it probably wouldn't have been an issue to do the expand with JMFS. I guess the key would be to check that the source drive has no more than 15 partitions before upgrading.

Regardless, I very much preferred the continual feedback I received during the JMFS copy process over the less informative feedback I got from WinMFS. The JMFS process also seems to be more fault tolerant. However, these are probably not meaningful factors unless the source drive has potential problem areas in it due to age (mine was 5 years old and had frozen on playback a couple times), exacerbated when it's also desired to preserve the recorded programs.

So essentially, the sequence I followed and will probably use on my next upgrade is to do the copy process using the JMFS Live CD (ISO currently at http://www.mediafire.com/?pfc9n8o30tc64) and the expand process (MFSadd) and SuperSize - if needed - using WinMFS (http://www.mfslive.org/) from within Windows. YMMV
Old 06-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #9535
jmbach

Quote:
I had to break away for a bit, but everything's working as it was supposed to and I've now got 318HD/2777SD hours of recording space now.By coalesced, I assume you mean an additional 'media' partition that is spanned with the already existent 65.6G and 549.6G 'media' partitions. It looks like I still would've just made it inside the 16 partition limit, though, so it probably wouldn't have been an issue to do the expand with JMFS. I guess the key would be to check that the source drive has no more than 15 partitions before upgrading.
A coalesced partition is one where the MFS application and MFS media partitions are rolled into one.

Quote:
Regardless, I very much preferred the continual feedback I received during the JMFS copy process over the less informative feedback I got from WinMFS. The JMFS process also seems to be more fault tolerant. However, these are probably not meaningful factors unless the source drive has potential problem areas in it due to age (mine was 5 years old and had frozen on playback a couple times), exacerbated when it's also desired to preserve the recorded programs.
I agree.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk HD
Old 06-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #9536
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I saw the price of $67 and ordered it.

Also, the 2TB is $96, 1.5 TB is $97.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #9537
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:

I saw the price of $67 and ordered it.

Also, the 2TB is $96, 1.5 TB is $97.
I'm running a pair of the 2TB WD20EZRX ones in one Premiere (TCD746320) and a TiVo HD (TCD652160). They've been in service for about 8 months now.

Aside from disabling IntelliPark, I just left the acoustic setting at whatever it was (which I wouldn't recommend for use in a small room, or where the TiVo is very close to a user that can't handle hearing drive-seeking noises).

They are VERY low-power, which I suspect is due to having very basic function (no dedicated chips drawing power just to make them silent-running, no unnecessary ATA streaming extensions support, etc.).

I can report having no problems, excellent performance (both when imaging & in use), cool operating temps, and a great price (I bought them as external USB 2.0 WD Essentials units for $69 each, on sale, at Fry's).

The only downside is a 1yr warranty on externals, 2yr on internals, & technically no-warranty, if WD can figure out you had ever opened the enclosure on an external unit.

I tend to find the best prices buying externals, and then removing the drive, while buying the same drive, bare, is much higher. What I loved about this purchase, was nothing went to waste. I put other WD drives in the enclosures, or just use the bridge board, for when I need USB 2.0-SATA scenarios.

My similar experiment with Seagate USB 3.0/2.0 externals, and trying to use the bridge boards/enclosures for other uses didn't work out.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #9538
MPSAN

I had the same drive (WD20EZRX) and it worked fine in my THD. I did notice this...

I just left the acoustic setting at whatever it was

When I tried to use the software it said the acoustic settings were not supported in this drive. It was in our bedroom and we did not find it loud at all.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:07 PM   #9539
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
I had the same drive (WD20EZRX) and it worked fine in my THD. I did notice this...

I just left the acoustic setting at whatever it was

When I tried to use the software it said the acoustic settings were not supported in this drive. It was in our bedroom and we did not find it loud at all.
I almost always DISABLE acoustic management entirely (when it is an option), just because it DOES decrease drive seeking performance ever-so-slightly (which the manufacturers used to deny, but now publish the fact in their datasheets).

I'm not bothered by drive seeking noises, at all. I like to know if a drive is hard at work, or idling. OTHERS on here aren't happy unless their drives are as silent as a drive can be. That's the ONLY reason I made the comment you quoted and underlined in bold.

I was in a hurry to get the EZRX drives into use for my folks. So, I didn't even check to see if I could change the acoustics, at all. I also had an inkling that it may be possible that such a basic, very low-power, drive model may have no options for acoustic management, or may not even have any form of it (thus saving the cost of the management IC, and the power needed to use it).
Old 06-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #9540
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
I almost always DISABLE acoustic management entirely (when it is an option), just because it DOES decrease drive seeking performance ever-so-slightly (which the manufacturers used to deny, but now publish the fact in their datasheets).

I'm not bothered by drive seeking noises, at all. I like to know if a drive is hard at work, or idling. OTHERS on here aren't happy unless their drives are as silent as a drive can be. That's the ONLY reason I made the comment you quoted and underlined in bold.

I was in a hurry to get the EZRX drives into use for my folks. So, I didn't even check to see if I could change the acoustics, at all. I also had an inkling that it may be possible that such a basic, very low-power, drive model may have no options for acoustic management, or may not even have any form of it (thus saving the cost of the management IC, and the power needed to use it).
The only reason I posted the above was to perhaps save someone the time if they tried to change the setting on this drive. I think that I did change it on my other drives, however.