TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #61
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNowChief View Post
Is this still rumored to be out this fall?

Now accepting wagers for when we actually see the boxes, Fall '14?
What took you so long! I thought maybe you were on vacation or something...

I would love to see something out for the holiday season - but I am not sure TiVo has all the approvals from the FCC so I think it is premature to "promise" any dates until that happens.

But yes, it would not suprise me to see a fall release slip to winter or spring depending on a lot of factors. I think it is also important to remember, TiVo has not publicly announced either a product or a date - This is all based on information gathered by Dave Zatz.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #62
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Dave Z has a good article on The Verge about the TiVo Series 5.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/17/44...-to-six-tuners

I am patiently waiting to upgrade!

Series 5 - 6 tuner unit + 3 TiVo MINis
More importantly, it's supposed to come with a new peanut remote!!!
Richard Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #63
csell

Not that anyone will truly know the answer, but do you think they will continue with the Digital Programming Only requirement that they started with the TiVo Premiere 4?
csell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #64
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yes. They specifically petitioned the FCC to allow them to bypass the analog recording requirement. In fact for this generation they specifically asked to bypass the analog requirement of OTA as well. So, provided they get approval, the next gen box will be digital only for both cable and OTA.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #65
Bigg

I just want DTA to bring my XL4 back up to 4 tuners. We've already hit conflicts with only 3 tuners online for the DVR.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #66
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
I just want DTA to bring my XL4 back up to 4 tuners. We've already hit conflicts with only 3 tuners online for the DVR.
FWIW, TiVo released the Elite on October 8, 2011. I'm looking for similar timing on the new boxes.

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2011-10/...vailable-1010/
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #67
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
FWIW, TiVo released the Elite on October 8, 2011. I'm looking for similar timing on the new boxes.

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2011-10/...vailable-1010/
Repeating myself

I really hope TiVo moves quick on this once the FCC waiver goes through.

TiVo will have some serious competition for consumer dollars if they release in October.

If I could only buy one, I would keep my Elite and buy the console(s) first. TiVo will always be available so I can pick that up next year. If anything like with the Elite, waiting may get you a better deal if the price drops. I don't think it will this time around though since it is a new platform, but there is always the chance since sales never happen at launch.

I just hope they aren't expecting big numbers in the first quarter of sales. It could well be up to a year before those people buy since they will have just spent $460+ on hardware and games. Most aren't going to turn around and spend up to $1000 on TiVo.

Right Now the PS4 is rumored Oct 29-November 14th and the Xbox One is rumored the 21st of November.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #68
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
The goal would always to launch ahead of the holiday season and inline with Best Buy's shelf reset. They couldn't pull it off with the original Premiere... but it looks like they're further ahead and with hopefully with fewer issues this generation.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #69
Dan203
Super Moderator

Hopefully 3 1/2 years of experience programming for Adobe Air, coupled with better hardware, will give them a better chance at making this launch smooth. But I'm pretty sure the initial target for the Mini was suppose to be last Fall and it somehow slipped to March so who knows.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #70
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Hopefully 3 1/2 years of experience programming for Adobe Air, coupled with better hardware, will give them a better chance at making this launch smooth. But I'm pretty sure the initial target for the Mini was suppose to be last Fall and it somehow slipped to March so who knows.
I believe TiVo is pushing for the FCC waiver request to be granted by July 15th so maybe we will see a release as early as August/September. That could, however, be related to purchase commitments for new hardware from their supplier.

I expect the Mini was a more significant software change compared to adding a couple of tuners, embedding Stream functionality, integrating WiFi, and dealing with an RF remote.

I expect the biggest challenge would be dynamic tuner allocation. I know at least one MSO that's currently deploying the Mini to all markets is pushing very hard for DTA this year.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #71
morac
Cat God

This has nothing to do with TiVo specifically, but the knowledge of 6 tuners boxes has even made it's way into comics:

http://www.gocomics.com/betty/2013/06/18
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #72
innocentfreak

Apparently Verizon is surveying some of their customers on various DVR options. Of course I didn't get the survey.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r283...t-DVR-options-

You have to love their hard drive space.

One person got an option for 12 tuners and 1TB while others got 12 and 2TB lol.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #73
Bigg

Quote:
I expect the biggest challenge would be dynamic tuner allocation. I know at least one MSO that's currently deploying the Mini to all markets is pushing very hard for DTA this year.
Hopefully that gets them moving on it. We're really going to need it come the fall, and for Sochi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
2TB isn't much on FIOS.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #74
mr.unnatural

Quote:
2TB isn't much on FIOS.
Storage capacity is a direct relation to how you use your DVR. If you like to record a lot of shows and archive them you'll need a lot of storage. If you record shows, watch them within a reasonable time frame, and then delete them, you really don't need a lot of storage. I routinely record about 40-50 hours of shows per week during the regular season and generally watch what I record within 2-5 days after they're recorded. I only have a 1.5TB drive in my HTPC for recording and it rarely gets more than half full. I also use that drive for additional file storage so the actual space for recording is more in the neighborhood of about 1.2 TB.

Obviously, everyone's recording and viewing habits differ. Some people record fewer shows but like to hang onto them forever. Personally, I've always been a strong believer that a DVR is for recording, not long term storage. If you want to save shows indefinitely, offload them to a server or other storage facility where they're less likely to be lost in the event of a drive failure. DVR drives are running 24/7 and will have a much shorter lifespan than the average desktop drive.

BTW, I'm on FIOS.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #75
sneagle
Addicted Member

Quote:
Apparently Verizon is surveying some of their customers on various DVR options. Of course I didn't get the survey.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r283...t-DVR-options-

You have to love their hard drive space.

I got the survey. The biggest fault of the survey is not allowing me to say I have BOTH Tivo AND the Verizon DVR.
sneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #76
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
Storage capacity is a direct relation to how you use your DVR. If you like to record a lot of shows and archive them you'll need a lot of storage. If you record shows, watch them within a reasonable time frame, and then delete them, you really don't need a lot of storage. I routinely record about 40-50 hours of shows per week during the regular season and generally watch what I record within 2-5 days after they're recorded. I only have a 1.5TB drive in my HTPC for recording and it rarely gets more than half full. I also use that drive for additional file storage so the actual space for recording is more in the neighborhood of about 1.2 TB.

Obviously, everyone's recording and viewing habits differ. Some people record fewer shows but like to hang onto them forever. Personally, I've always been a strong believer that a DVR is for recording, not long term storage. If you want to save shows indefinitely, offload them to a server or other storage facility where they're less likely to be lost in the event of a drive failure. DVR drives are running 24/7 and will have a much shorter lifespan than the average desktop drive.

BTW, I'm on FIOS.
I have to agree with this. I think personal libraries are a fading concept.
I used to buy a lot of books. I don't any more and haven't really cracked any of them in years. The computer books especially are out of date.

I used to buy tons of DVDs. They all sit in a drawer now.

With Cable, OnDemand, and Netflix there is so much new stuff that I rarely have time to watch something old - let alone want to keep a seasons worth of something beyond the first viewing.

If I really wanted to watch something that could have been in my library. I just go get it from Netflix or the equivalent.

I really just think of my DVR has a short term delivery vehicle.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #77
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
...But if one needs padding, which I need on a LOT of shows I record, 4 tuners doesn't really mean "4 shows at once".. It can mean "2 shows then 2 shows, each needing padding on end/beginning"....
I've had the four-tuner since December, and I can count on one hand the number of times all four have been recording simultaneously...

...now, granted, we are a two-person family and my wife has her own TiVo, so our needs aren't as demanding with those who still have young 'uns at home...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #78
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Why? What does one have to do with the other?
Richard Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #79
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I've had the four-tuner since December, and I can count on one hand the number of times all four have been recording simultaneously...

...now, granted, we are a two-person family and my wife has her own TiVo, so our needs aren't as demanding with those who still have young 'uns at home...
I'm the only person in my household that records shows and I routinely have six or more tuners going at the same time. It all depends on your viewing and recording habits. Some people are hardcore couch potatoes like me while others are only casual viewers. A lot of people could get away with a single tuner DVR while others can never have enough tuners.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #80
Dan203
Super Moderator

Cable channels tend to repeat everything, and there are only 5 or 6 broadcast channels in most areas, so the average cable user doesn't actually need more then 6 tuners.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:08 PM   #81
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Cable channels tend to repeat everything, and there are only 5 or 6 broadcast channels in most areas, so the average cable user doesn't actually need more then 6 tuners.
Um.....that's exactly what I said here.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #82
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Counting available sideband channels, I have well over 40 OTA broadcast channels in my area (I'm between Baltimore and D.C.). I've got duplicate channels for ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, and the CW as well as at least five PBS channels and about a dozen ethnic channels and a few independents thrown into the mix. I limit most of my recording to the five main channels with an occasional PBS broadcast. Once in a while I'll see an old TV show broadcast on one of the side channels I'd like to watch, but they're usually in standard definition. Just about all of these channels are also available on FIOS, but I prefer to record from OTA because it's a slightly better picture. Otherwise, I'd probably need even more cablecard tuners than I already have.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:12 AM   #83
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Counting available sideband channels, I have well over 40 OTA broadcast channels in my area (I'm between Baltimore and D.C.). I've got duplicate channels for ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, and the CW as well as at least five PBS channels and about a dozen ethnic channels and a few independents thrown into the mix. I limit most of my recording to the five main channels with an occasional PBS broadcast. Once in a while I'll see an old TV show broadcast on one of the side channels I'd like to watch, but they're usually in standard definition. Just about all of these channels are also available on FIOS, but I prefer to record from OTA because it's a slightly better picture. Otherwise, I'd probably need even more cablecard tuners than I already have.
You specifically say you limit your recordings to the 5 major networks, with an occasional recording from PBS or a sideband channel. So why would you need more then 6 tuners? Are you padding everything and creating conflicts that way?

With only 5 major networks, and everything on cable being repeated adnasium, I can't see why anyone would ever need more the 6 tuners. Maybe a family who all want to watch live TV via Minis in seperate rooms, but for one person recording, even a serious couch potato, it seems like 6 is the magic number.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #84
mr.unnatural

Quote:
You specifically say you limit your recordings to the 5 major networks, with an occasional recording from PBS or a sideband channel. So why would you need more then 6 tuners? Are you padding everything and creating conflicts that way?

With only 5 major networks, and everything on cable being repeated adnasium, I can't see why anyone would ever need more the 6 tuners. Maybe a family who all want to watch live TV via Minis in seperate rooms, but for one person recording, even a serious couch potato, it seems like 6 is the magic number.
The comment was with regard to available OTA channels in my area. I also record from at least a half dozen or so cable network channels, like SyFy, USA, FX, TNT, AMC, A&E, etc., so I may have more than six tuners in use at any given time. Six of each type is the real magic number since I record from two different sources. I could probably get by with only four ATSC tuners, but the extra ones are just cheap insurance. Of the 17 tuners I have available, five of them are shared with other PCs and are rarely used by the primary HTPC.

I have my series recordings (aka season passes) set up primarily for new recordings only, so any show that airs beyond the original air date is considered a repeat. However, if something happens and the show can't be recorded in the initial time slot, WMC will reschedule it automatically and pick it up when it airs again. And yes, I do pad every single recording. With a sufficient number of tuners, there are no conflicts. The number of tuners I have may be considered overkill by some, but I can say with a high degree of confidence that I will never miss a recording due to a lack of available tuners. Making the same claim just using Tivos would require a considerably higher monetary investment. Of course, you'd have to purchase older model Tivos to get OTA recording capability since Tivo has seen fit to eliminate that function from current models.

I'm the only one that watches and records from the primary HTPC. The wife uses a set top box in the bedroom and a small HTPC in the family room that uses a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime for a TV signal. Both my kids are out of college and living on their own so it's just the two of us.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #85
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

I have a 4-tuner Elite and never miss a recording due to lack of tuners. And I pad pretty much every recording too. But I'm with Bierboy here, just me and the wifey watching shows so the box rarely has all 4 red lights on. 17 tuners is beyond overkill for two people because you can't possibly watch all that crap IMO, but to each his own.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #86
Bigg

Quote:

BTW, I'm on FIOS.
That's an excellent point. I do find, however, that even with relatively short-term viewing, stuff can accumulate pretty quick, although it's also usually pretty easy to delete stuff as well that's no longer relevant or whatever.

The one time that I find disk space is in need in a really big way is during the Olympics, where there are hundreds upon hundreds of hours of content, and it's nice to have it all to DVR through fast and catch bits and pieces of different sports.

Quote:
I'd agree that the average TiVo user doesn't need more than 6 (maybe even 4) tuners. However, I would also say that TiVo sucks at getting the repeats. If you have a show at lower priority on a cable channel that doesn't have a tuner to record, TiVo is too dumb to pick up the second showing at midnight or whatever.

Quote:
Both my kids are out of college and living on their own so it's just the two of us.
That's an extreme usage scenario.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #87
innocentfreak

Quote:
I'd agree that the average TiVo user doesn't need more than 6 (maybe even 4) tuners. However, I would also say that TiVo sucks at getting the repeats. If you have a show at lower priority on a cable channel that doesn't have a tuner to record, TiVo is too dumb to pick up the second showing at midnight or whatever.
What are you talking about? Mine picks up the midnight repeats constantly.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #88
SullyND
L:27-31

Isn't the point of six tuners to support their whole home initiative? 6 tuners isn't a ton if you have two or more minis tying them up.
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #89
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Yeah, I can't ever recall a case of this happening...
Old 06-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #90
lpwcomp

Quote:
Same here.

edit:
From my THD todo list:

Code:
Mon 06/24/13 11:59 PM	 Warehouse 13 [Ep 419] - Lost & Found	 874=SYFYHD	 1:01
I have an FRO SP for "Warehouse 13" and there is a conflict with higher priority items for the initial 10PM showing.

There is some stupidity in evidence here, but it isn't with the TiVo scheduler.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"

Last edited by lpwcomp : 06-23-2013 at 02:24 PM.
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote