TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
TiVo_Fanatic

Dish network and the TiVo S4 Elite ?

Ok so we might be geting rid of our current cable provider and going to dish since we can save $80 - $90 a month for the same bundle we currently have with our cable provider. Well, here's my concern... while yes I can get their 6 tuner hopper, I would prefer not to if I can use my Elite. Even though I admit the extra two tuners could come in handy since I do have the occasional conflict, but still, I'd like to continue to use my Elite if I can with Dish.

Interested in trying to earn a free PSVita, then check
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
out & PM me for help.
TiVo_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
WhiskeyTango

Won't work unless you use your Tivo with an antenna and the Dish box for everything else.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo_Fanatic View Post
Ok so we might be geting rid of our current cable provider and going to dish since we can save $80 - $90 a month for the same bundle we currently have with our cable provider. Well, here's my concern... while yes I can get their 6 tuner hopper, I would prefer not to if I can use my Elite. Even though I admit the extra two tuners could come in handy since I do have the occasional conflict, but still, I'd like to continue to use my Elite if I can with Dish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
Won't work unless you use your Tivo with an antenna and the Dish box for everything else.
The Premiere 4/XL (previously called the Elite) can only be used with digital cable only, no OTA, DISH, DirecTV.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #4
TiVo_Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
The Premiere 4/XL (previously called the Elite) can only be used with digital cable only, no OTA, DISH, DirecTV.
We'll probably still do the switch anyway just for the savings, I just got one hell of a SP lis I am dredding setting up. That said, anyone know how the Dish lists work for SP's ? Like is it the same as TiVo where you can set it to record only new eps of your shows and keep until you delete etc ?

Also, anyone know if they got ne sort of To Do list where you can see conflicts etc ?

This assumes someone here has the Hopper or any similar DVR from Dish.

Ty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
out & PM me for help.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
MeInDallas

You do realize that 4 of those "tuners" on the Hopper will only record in a 3 hour prime time period right? On channels like ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox. Only 2 of the tuners can be used to record channels like Discovery, ESPN, Bravo, NatGeo, etc etc. You dont have complete and total control of all tuners, and what they record like you would a Tivo, or the Directv DVR.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
TiVo_Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
You do realize that 4 of those "tuners" on the Hopper will only record in a 3 hour prime time period right? On channels like ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox. Only 2 of the tuners can be used to record channels like Discovery, ESPN, Bravo, NatGeo, etc etc. You dont have complete and total control of all tuners, and what they record like you would a Tivo, or the Directv DVR.
Well thats BS, not what your said but the situation... they don't advertise it like that on TV n s**t. The way they advertise it makes it seem like you can use all 6 tuners for whatever you want.

out & PM me for help.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #7
celtic pride

I would suggest you go to the satellite guys website! they have a lot of information on DISH there and some dish employees are on the website giving out very helpful information! you can also try DBSTALK.com they have a lot of good forums and info for DISH and DIRECTV! I just know someone there will be able to help you. although i see some of the replys here are correct!
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #8
MeInDallas

Yeah I understand. My friend got locked into a contract after she got it and asked me to come over and help her figure it out, and when I told her what the deal is, she was mad. Now Directv has the 5 tuner Genie, and its different. You have total control over those tuners and you can record what you want.

Heres what it says on Dish' website about the 6 tuners:

"Record up to 6 Channels at Once.
Record up to six live channels at once during primetime, including your 4 local networks and 2 channels of your choosing, and stream four recorded programs to different TVs simultaneously. That means you can watch more and miss less of your favorite programs."

I'm sure those sales people get chewed out everyday over there about this.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #9
TiVo_Fanatic

Quote:
Yeah I understand. My friend got locked into a contract after she got it and asked me to come over and help her figure it out, and when I told her what the deal is, she was mad. Now Directv has the 5 tuner Genie, and its different. You have total control over those tuners and you can record what you want.

Heres what it says on Dish' website about the 6 tuners:

Record up to six live channels at once during primetime, including your 4 local networks and 2 channels of your choosing, and stream four recorded programs to different TVs simultaneously. That means you can watch more and miss less of your favorite programs."

I'm sure those sales people get chewed out everyday over there about this.
Would that DTV Genie be the DirecTV Five Tuner HR34 by chance ? I was about to ask about that as I saw it mentioned on funnily enough, DBSTalk.

My thins right now is trying to ssave a few bucks...

Rright now with our cable company we have TV obviously, then internet and phone. All averging about $180 - $190 a month.

I just want to try something diff and dish looked good with the hopper but if the HR34 is the genie and you have full control over the tuners then DTV would be what I would want to look in to.

On that note, if I went the route of DTV, providing their pricing models look good. Could I use my Elite with them or would I need the HR34, again assuming that is the Genie.

On that note I go back to an earlier question but am now asking it in regards to DTV.

How are the DTV SP's handled with KUID, record new only etc ?

out & PM me for help.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #10
celtic pride

MEINDALLAS is correct ,I think you should check directv at least you can record 5 different channels at a time .the dish hopper uses those tuners to record all the programs on NBC,CBS,ABC,and FOX ,only leaving you with 2 tuners to record from the cable channels (like TNT,ESPN,AMC) BTW if you change your mind and go with directv make sure you ask for the newest genie model HR44!,I might switch to directv myself this fall.The genie 34 is now the old model so make sure and ask for the 44 .No you cannot use the tivo elite with directv ,But i will tell you their dvrs are a lot like tivo,and directv also carries the tivo thr22 ,but thats only a 2 tuner tivo.

Last edited by celtic pride : 06-21-2013 at 10:23 PM.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #11
mattack

Quote:
That's blatantly clear to me.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:16 PM   #12
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic pride View Post
MEINDALLAS is correct ,I think you should check directv at least you can record 5 different channels at a time .the dish hopper uses those tuners to record all the programs on NBC,CBS,ABC,and FOX ,only leaving you with 2 tuners to record from the cable channels (like TNT,ESPN,AMC) BTE if you chane your mind and go with directv make sure you ask for the newest genie model HR44!,I might switch to directv myself this fall.
BTW, it's really *one tuner* to record all of the network channels.. Basically, all of the network signals are on one "channel", and the DVR just records all of it.. and then it's "split apart" later when you're viewing it. This takes special support, so it's not like any DVR can do it.

So it's really 3 'tuners' AFAIK.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:32 PM   #13
TiVo_Fanatic

On phone with DTV now, it seems if I want to allow for two other TV's to watch TV and not br restricted to the 5 genie tuners we might have to with a genie and two THR22's.

This way three TV's have their own thing and arent resticted to other ppls shows. I would dig in to this deeper but I hope you guys see where I'm going with this. On hold now but afraid price points might be outrageous doing this.

out & PM me for help.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:23 AM   #14
TiVo_Fanatic

Ok, so after speaking with the rep, this is where things stand. Each of the three options include the genie because I want it for myself assuming I say screw it and go DTV.

The following are approx figures not more than probably a few dollars off and are figured out to where each TV has it's own thing and dont use / rely my what would be my genie tuners since I want all 5 tuners to myself for my stuff and not restrict someone to one of my recordings should I be doing 5 recordings at the same time and watching someone prev. recorded. Apparently these are all one time "lease" figures.

Option 1) $420: 1 THR22 for the brother, 1 Adapter / Reciver for my mom & then the Genie for me.

Option 2) $313: 2 Adapters for my mom and brother & then the Genie for me.

Option 3) $199: 1 Adapter for my mom & the Genie for me leaving me to find a cheap early DTV Tivo for like $40 on eBay for the brother.

If I choose DTV I will def go with option three, my mom only ever watches live TV hence the adapter for her then I will have the Genie for me. The brother currently has a regular S2 1 Tuner Tivo so the choice of a 1 tuner DTB Tivo off eBay for like $40 should be good for him. Either way it seems like DTV will def win this race since Dish has a lot of stuff I am not liking. The good news is the monthly sub will still save me $80 - $90 a month for 12 months.

out & PM me for help.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #15
ggieseke

If the brother's happy with the S2, just get a STB for it.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #16
TiVo_Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
If the brother's happy with the S2, just get a STB for it.
He is, and if the STB is the adapter the guy was talkin about that means I would need at least option 2 and I don't have the extra cash for their damn lease thing ;-/

out & PM me for help.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #17
ggieseke

Technically, receiver would be a better description than STB or adapter, but you know what I mean. I have several Hughes HBH-SA receivers and a Sony SAT-T60 TiVo sitting in the junk pile. If you want one for the price of shipping just send me a PM.

In my experience they charge a $6 "Additional TV" monthly fee for every box with an Access Card in it, but you don't have to lease their equipment. Buy it yourself and skip that bit of the monthly bill.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:21 AM   #18
TiVo_Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
Technically, receiver would be a better description than STB or adapter, but you know what I mean. I have several Hughes HBH-SA receivers and a Sony SAT-T60 TiVo sitting in the junk pile. If you want one for the price of shipping just send me a PM.

In my experience they charge a $6 "Additional TV" monthly fee for every box with an Access Card in it, but you don't have to lease their equipment. Buy it yourself and skip that bit of the monthly bill.
Thats what the DTV guy told me was a $6 charge, but ya, if you can save me $40+ to buy a unit on eBay and don't mind getting rid of one of your single tuner DTV units that would be awesome. I would just be curious as the the existing drive size and if they're easily upgraded like most any other TiVo. As for skipping the monthly bill, that's not an option for me as I want the Genie since I cant use my Elite. I could though save another $100 on lease for the STB / adapter etc. that my mom would need if you happened to have two of those TiVo's on hand for price of S&H.

Edit: Why would I need a receiver / adapter / STB for the TiVo if all it needs is the access card ?

Quote: If the brother's happy with the S2, just get a STB for it.

Edit 2: NM I brain farted, thats if he kept the S2 and I and wanted to use DTV with it so forget the edit lol.

out & PM me for help.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:46 AM   #19
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo_Fanatic View Post
Edit: Why would I need a receiver / adapter / STB for the TiVo if all it needs is the access card ?

Quote: If the brother's happy with the S2, just get a STB for it.

Edit 2: NM I brain farted, thats if he kept the S2 and I and wanted to use DTV with it so forget the edit lol.
Tivo models such as the Series 3 (your OLED, for instance), or Premiere, does not have a slot for an access card or the inputs needed for the source such as dish, DirecTV. Nor is there a way for these models to control the receiver (STB=Set Top Box) with an Infrared cable. Series 2, however, DOES have the necessary inputs (Yellow composite, white/red audio), and the ability to control "talk back" to the STB via an IR cable, to change channels. The STB would have its access card for its satellite.

Series 2 will only record analog and will require an STB from either cable, or satellite to convert from a digital format to analog so the Tivo can record, (or even the old analog TV to show) programs.

Next came the Series 3, Premiere, which has analog and digital tuners to record from. There was a change however, the composite inputs and IR port was removed in favor for cable cards, because STBs can only access 1 channel at a time and with far lower video quality. Cable cards can, in theory, access 6 channels at once. Series 3 and Premiere can access 2 channels at once, only from antenna and cable, or 1 from each. The next Tivos is still a Series 4, still named Premiere, which can get confusing, so they named its new model Premiere Elite, which they later changed it to Premiere 4 XL for its larger storage space and 4 tuners. With that, they removed antenna imput and analog tuners in favor for 4 digital (ATSC) cable tuners only. Another part they removed in the Premiere models is the modem for the traditional phone line, in favor of ethernet connections. They added MoCa in the 4XL model for faster (not faster than ethernet) connections. Next came the Premiere 4, basically the same as the 4XL but with storage of 1/4 the size of the 4XL.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #20
ggieseke

The SAT-T60 is a Sony Series 1 DirecTiVo that someone at work gave me. It has the original 40GB drive and it makes a lot of noise, but you could probably still get an image off of it. I don't have the remote, cables or anything else but the box itself.