TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-20-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
dgrrr

Rename "manual recordings" WITHOUT transfer to computer?

I have a Series 2 Toshiba RS-TX60 (v9.3.2). Is there a way to EDIT the names of "manual recordings" on the Tivo, WITHOUT having to transfer the files to a PC? (By "name" I mean the items that appear under the "Now Playing" list.)

I saw two posts here (2004 & 2010) about doing it by transferring the file to a computer, but I'm hoping to find a way to do it on the current Tivo OS. (My mother won't be able to use the "transfer to PC" method.)

I know you can specify the name of a recording made from a VCR or camera, when you create it. But when I use the "manual recording" feature (or the red record button on the remote), my Tivo automatically assigns a program name (from the tv schedule).

(I hope to connect the Tivo to the internet soon and enable Video On Demand, but for now, if I want to record something "On Demand", I have to start the "On Demand" content on my comcast cable box, and then start a manual recording on the Tivo. But Tivo assigns it the name of whatever show is whatever channel I was on BEFORE I went to the On Demand menu.)

(I tried recording thru the "Record from VCR or Camera" menu, but for some reason I'm not getting audio.)

Last edited by dgrrr : 06-21-2013 at 04:20 AM. Reason: clarify
dgrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

Nope, no editing on a tivo. Though, I appreciate you searching as many ask questions blindly. You need to edit on a PC.

You cannot record anything "On Demand" if you receive that service. It is streaming. A S2 cannot receive that functionality anyhow.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post

You cannot record anything "On Demand" if you receive that service. It is streaming. A S2 cannot receive that functionality anyhow.
Did you not read the OP? specifically, the part where they state that they do record on demand content on their S2?
Old 06-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
dgrrr

FYI, if I use my comcast remote to tell comcast to start playing a show on demand (over the comcast cable box), I AM able to record the content onto my Tivo, by doing one of the following:

(1) choosing "watch live tv" on TIvo, and then do a Manual recording (via the menu or remote red button) -- which I believe uses the coaxial cable going from comcast box to tivo box

or

(2) using Tivo's "record from vcr or camera" menu (composite video / audio cables going from Comcast box to Tivo box).

HOWEVER - so far I can't get the Tivo "Video On Demand" menu to show "Comcast" as one of Tivo VOD content providers. I think I'd need a diff kind of Tivo box.
dgrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrrr View Post
HOWEVER - so far I can't get the Tivo "Video On Demand" menu to show "Comcast" as one of Tivo VOD content providers. I think I'd need a diff kind of Tivo box.
That's correct. You have to have a Premiere and live in one of the areas where Xfinity VOD for TiVos has already been rolled out.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote