TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-18-2013, 08:13 AM   #1
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Exclamation COX deploying SDV & Tuning Adapters in LAS VEGAS, RIGHT NOW!

COX deploying SDV & Tuning Adapters in LAS VEGAS, RIGHT NOW!

Two days ago, out of nowhere, we received a notification that as of JUNE 17, 2013, Tuning Adapters would be available, as a self-install kit, at our local Cox retail centers, free of charge & additional fees.

It also states that: AS OF JULY 17, 2013, we would lose nearly all our channels, beyond basic service, if the Tuning Adapters were NOT installed before that date.

They make a play to save us the hassle of going through this, by offering ONE (ONLY ONE) of THEIR digital/HD receivers for the same price as a CableCard for 12 months (which I guess might appeal to somebody with ONLY ONE TiVo (or other CableCard device, NOT leased from Cox). After the year of $1.99/month offer, the costs associated with keeping the receiver would go up to whatever rates were in place at that point.

THERE IS NO MENTION OF ON-DEMAND, unless it's while their baiting you with a discounted receiver, leased from them.

In a house where family members are SCOLDED, harshly, for leaving a single CF nightlight on, or not turning off lights when leaving a room, I am very worried about the increased electrical utility bill that will arise from using these Tuning Adapters. We have some of the highest electric rates in the nation. I've read, all over, how these Tuning Adapters are inefficient ELECTRICITY HOGS, run hot, and introduce all sorts of issues in the wake of their deployment.

I realize this is the way things need to be, and it was coming sooner or later. My biggest concern is does the FCC CableCard mandate also cover Tuning Adapters, or are they a separate matter. If separate, who do we complain to, if/when there are problems with them? Cox here absolutely hates TiVo, hates CableCards, & hates supporting the parts that they should be responsible for supporting. Their party line for a year has been "We don't support TiVo". It doesn't matter what the problem is, or if it affects every device in the house, non-TiVo & all, if there are TiVos in the house, that's the line you get...
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

The only reason tuning adapters exist is to support CableCard devices. I think the general practice has been to offer them for free, unlike the cards.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
unitron

My condolences to Las Vegas COX customers/victims.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #4
moyekj

About time. We've been dealing with SDV for several years here with Cox Orange County and now more and more H.264 channels are creeping into 800-1000MHz frequency range. It's quite possible electricity costs out here are higher than what you pay in Vegas too, though granted we don't have to run the AC anywhere near as much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
My condolences to Las Vegas COX customers/victims.
+1
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
jcthorne

Bummer!

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

I really do not have any issues with my Cisco Tuning Adapters with Cox in Phoenix. Las Vegas is also Cisco, so assuming they do it correctly you should not have any issues, but do expect some growing pains as they ramp it up.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #8
pmalve

no problems

have had tuning adapter for awhile here and haven't had any issues with it since installing it. had much more problems with cable card before they went to sdv.
pmalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #9
celtic pride

Ithink if verizon ever added tuning adapters i would switch to directv.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:31 PM   #10
jole60

Are SDV & Tuning Adapters Needed With Series 2?

I live in Las Vegas and use Cox Cable without a cable box for non-premium channel recording on several Series 2 Tivos. Will these adapters be necessary to bring in the channels for Series 2 and other Tivo models that don't use cable cards?
jole60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #11
TomJHansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jole60 View Post
I live in Las Vegas and use Cox Cable without a cable box for non-premium channel recording on several Series 2 Tivos. Will these adapters be necessary to bring in the channels for Series 2 and other Tivo models that don't use cable cards?
No - they are just for Tivo's with Cable cards. S2 units will still get their signal from the coax.
TomJHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #12
jole60

Tom, thanks for the prompt response.
jole60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #13
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJHansen View Post
No - they are just for Tivo's with Cable cards. S2 units will still get their signal from the coax.
True, until Cox makes their next transition: DIGITAL-ONLY cable service.

That's when your nightmare will begin.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote