TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #61
Donbadabon
Geocacher

That was weird. You'd think the two on the block would just stand there and make the judges say it out loud. Even though it seemed obvious who they wanted to leave.

I am not sure how much more of the women's cattiness I can handle. This is turning into a regular reality show now.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #62
magaggie
Limabean Fransisco

Krissi's glee at watching Bimi crash and burn was just so cruel. She had no compassion, and I wonder if that will start to color the judges impression of her. I know a lot of the catty shots were for effect, but I can't imagine they didn't see some of it.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #63
mattack

Chinese p* hair!!

Seems to me like they're getting a little bit too serious on MasterChef. Basically expecting them to be way more expert than they used to... when the whole point is that they're home chefs.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:06 AM   #64
jamesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Chinese p* hair!!

Seems to me like they're getting a little bit too serious on MasterChef. Basically expecting them to be way more expert than they used to... when the whole point is that they're home chefs.
I don't mind those challenges

it shows what they can do with ingredients they're not familiar with

it's interesting to see what they do with texture and saltiness, and how they try to substitute unfamiliar ingredients into familiar recipes

I think it's similar to testing them with unfamiliar techniques

it was pretty obvious that guy had never baked a pie before, and most of those people had never made pasta before

what I don't like are the "cook for 100 people", "run a hotel kitchen", "run a restaurant" challenges

I'd be very happy if they got rid of them and concentrated on individual meals
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:26 AM   #65
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

I noticed that one of the contestants (man with long hair) mentioned that he "didn't even watch the video directions" before he made his dish. So apparently they have an opportunity to view directions on unfamiliar dishes and/or techniques before attempting them. I knew they had to have recipes provided but I did not know about videos.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #66
Squeak
An Inert Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
I noticed that one of the contestants (man with long hair) mentioned that he "didn't even watch the video directions" before he made his dish. So apparently they have an opportunity to view directions on unfamiliar dishes and/or techniques before attempting them. I knew they had to have recipes provided but I did not know about videos.
No, he was talking about how he was not allowed to watch Joe's mom show how to make the pasta.

And, I don't believe it has been confirmed they are given recipes on a normal basis either. They were given one if the first season for a soufflé, but I think that is it.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #67
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

That's what I get for paying half attention, sorry.
I will see it tonight with hub (our regular 'together' viewing time, he goes to bed early) so I try not to pay too close attention as it is recording.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #68
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Something I didn't know - In this interview with last season winner Christine, she talks about cooking classes they can take in between shootings.

"They offer cooking classes to contestants on off days. The classes are optional, and with an exhausting shooting schedule, they force contestants to choose between rest/downtime and extra study time."

http://www.houstonpress.com/2013-06-...-christine-ha/
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #69
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by magaggie View Post
Krissi's glee at watching Bimi crash and burn was just so cruel. She had no compassion, and I wonder if that will start to color the judges impression of her. I know a lot of the catty shots were for effect, but I can't imagine they didn't see some of it.
That was absolutely nauseating! She is one nasty puke of a person, IMO.

My stupid cable (I assume it was the cable, or just specifically the channel) kept faultering, of course, every time there was something important going on. It would either sputter and pixel out the audio or it kept changing to the CW channel for anywhere from a few seconds to a couple of minutes. I don't know WTF that was about but it was frustrating.

One of the blips was exactly when they said how many votes each team got. Was it even close?

Another one was when Krissi was deciding who was safe. I see she chose herself. How freaking hypocritical was THAT?? I wish I hadn't missed those moments, though. Did anybody remark on that?

I have to say that the one advantage of the winner being able to choose two people to not get to see the demo of what they were going to have to cook for the big challenge was pretty ridiculously childish. I had hoped (stupidly) that they would keep this competition more above board and fair. To randomly choose people who would not have the same opportunity was pretty creepy. I can see being dealt a huge disadvantage IF that person, or those people, earned it. But not a random 'gotcha' thing.

The one time when he got to pull a stand mixer from one contestant - I thought that was low enough. This just put the show on the same level as some of the sleaziest reality shows, IMO.

Perhaps I'm just not in the targeted audience, but I thought this show was about people learning to cook better and a fair competition to see who is the best. Silly me.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #70
Squeak
An Inert Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
That was absolutely nauseating! She is one nasty puke of a person, IMO.

My stupid cable (I assume it was the cable, or just specifically the channel) kept faultering, of course, every time there was something important going on. It would either sputter and pixel out the audio or it kept changing to the CW channel for anywhere from a few seconds to a couple of minutes. I don't know WTF that was about but it was frustrating.

One of the blips was exactly when they said how many votes each team got. Was it even close?
No. Red team won like 90-30. They also revealed that the Blue team won the chicken entree (like 30-20), but got slaughtered on the salmon (out of ~50 people, only 2 people choose the blue team's salmon).

Quote:
Another one was when Krissi was deciding who was safe. I see she chose herself. How freaking hypocritical was THAT?? I wish I hadn't missed those moments, though. Did anybody remark on that?
Of course...Jordan made a big deal about it being hypocritical.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #71
sharkster

Thanks, Squeak!

Surprised Blue did well on the chicken when they kept showing stuff like running out and raw chicken. I guess they really drama'd that up!
Old 06-23-2013, 03:54 PM   #72
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

It was the red team that ran out of chicken and I think that, apart from a few pieces that were raw, Bime did a good job of keeping it flowing.

As for Krissi, karma's a b*tch! I look forward to her downfall!!
Old 06-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #73
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

I'm hard pressed to think of a reality show character I have actively disliked as much as Krissi.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #74
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

People, let's not forget how awful Natasha is,too!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #75
robbhimself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Soze View Post
I'm hard pressed to think of a reality show character I have actively disliked as much as Krissi.
do you watch survivor? they had a contestant named colton who in my opinion almost makes krissi look like a girl scout
robbhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #76
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Soze View Post
I'm with ya, there! She truly nauseates me and not only that, she makes me want to hurt her. I'm NOT a violent person, either.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #77
robojerk

I'm new to MasterChef, I heard good things about the Australia version so I just finished season 2 of "MasterChef Australia" (86 episodes acquired through sorcery). I have to say after watching that, then coming to see the US version, that the US contestants are such overconfident *******s. On the Aus version it was almost sickening, but heart warming, how nice the contestants were to each other, and they were willing to humble themselves and say they weren't sure they could make the more difficult dishes (and succeeding). Then seeing the US version and seeing them talk about how excellent they are on making Cheesecake or Eggs Benedict, then the dish the produce looks like crap. Then talking smack nonstop.. I now feel worried for our society.

The Aus version is done by doing average 6 episodes per week
Mystery Box & Invention Test
Pressure Test (Losers from Mystery Box & Invention Test compete to stay in)
Chef Challenge (Winning chef from Mystery Box & Invention Test competes for the Immunity challenge. Usually a very, very hard recipe)
Off Site Challenge (Field trip)
Elimination Challenge (Losers from offsite challenge compete to stay in the competition)
Masterclass (Chefs come to show the contestants & viewers techniques, and recipes. No challenges)
Old 06-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #78
jamesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
... I have to say after watching that, then coming to see the US version, that the US contestants are such overconfident *******s. ...
this season is worse than last season

last season was worse than the season before

it looks as if the producers are really going for that "backstabbing, confrontation, let's get someone the audience can hate" type of show instead of a good cooking competition

I am quickly losing interest this season
Old 06-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #79
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post

this season is worse than last season

last season was worse than the season before

it looks as if the producers are really going for that "backstabbing, confrontation, let's get someone the audience can hate" type of show instead of a good cooking competition

I am quickly losing interest this season
Aren't the ratings higher this year?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 06-27-2013 at 01:38 PM. Reason: removed "Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner "
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #80
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Aren't the ratings higher this year?
non sequitur.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #81
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Sigh...I guess they are keeping Krissi because she is "good TV..." - after she mouthed off to Joe, I was hoping they would send her packing!
Old 06-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #82
WhiskeyTango

As if there weren't enough reasons to hate Krissi...

WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #83
jamesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
As if there weren't enough reasons to hate Krissi...

are those real ?

maybe not really her?
maybe a hack ?

if it is her, then she can't possibly have won MasterChef

they would cancel here cookbook deal in a second
Old 06-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #84
crowfan
The Dude abides

That twitter account is gone.

[er...maybe not. Twitter seems to be having some sort of issue.]

crowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #85
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post
are those real ?

maybe not really her?
maybe a hack ?

if it is her, then she can't possibly have won MasterChef

they would cancel here cookbook deal in a second
Source
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #86
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
Sigh...I guess they are keeping Krissi because she is "good TV..." - after she mouthed off to Joe, I was hoping they would send her packing!
Joe is another I wouldn't mind seen packing. He's been especially hateful this season. Never even heard of him 'til Master Chef.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #87
sharkster

O-MG re: that Twitter stuff!!

She disgusts me more every time I have to look at her nasty, hateful face.

Anyway, as to this week's episode/s -

You know some of these rules are getting really stupid. First of all, as to pulling one off each team, after they've chosen teams, to sit around for the whole thing seems stupid to me. Let everybody compete. Granted, the red team probably would have lost with that nasty woman on it because she seems to bring bad karma to everything she touches. But they are there to compete.

Secondly, when the losing team was going to have to do their challenge, I can see picking ONE team member IF there was one who truly excelled above the others and give them immunity. But to pull everybody off the team but two seemed kind of weird. It seems like they are getting lazy.

While I've been railing a little this season about Joe being such a dick, I do have to say that I enjoyed him ripping that awful Krissi a new one.

Nice seeing Christine again and I like they they had her judging with them.

And just one more general boo hiss boo for the fact that I have to look at that disgusting puke of a woman, Krissi, for at least one more week. In the first hour I would have bet that, even as hideously awful as her dish was, there would be somebody worse. The way they dramatize everything is getting pretty predictable. Then to have her get to sit out the challenge in the second hour - yick!!
Old 06-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #88
d-dub
Jami's Gameboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
O-MG re: that Twitter stuff!!

She disgusts me more every time I have to look at her nasty, hateful face.

Anyway, as to this week's episode/s -

You know some of these rules are getting really stupid. First of all, as to pulling one off each team, after they've chosen teams, to sit around for the whole thing seems stupid to me. Let everybody compete. Granted, the red team probably would have lost with that nasty woman on it because she seems to bring bad karma to everything she touches. But they are there to compete.

Secondly, when the losing team was going to have to do their challenge, I can see picking ONE team member IF there was one who truly excelled above the others and give them immunity. But to pull everybody off the team but two seemed kind of weird. It seems like they are getting lazy.

While I've been railing a little this season about Joe being such a dick, I do have to say that I enjoyed him ripping that awful Krissi a new one.

Nice seeing Christine again and I like they they had her judging with them.

And just one more general boo hiss boo for the fact that I have to look at that disgusting puke of a woman, Krissi, for at least one more week. In the first hour I would have bet that, even as hideously awful as her dish was, there would be somebody worse. The way they dramatize everything is getting pretty predictable. Then to have her get to sit out the challenge in the second hour - yick!!
It all makes more sense one you realize that this is a game show, not a cooking contest.

Now with improved joystick action!
World's Luckiest Guy (TM)

-- David --
d-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #89
Tivortex
Cherished Member

Come on, admit it. There has to be someone you love to hate, or it wouldn't be as much fun.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:38 AM   #90
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivortex View Post
Come on, admit it. There has to be someone you love to hate, or it wouldn't be as much fun.
Yebbut I'm not often in the mood to watch classless people trash talk.
Let me decide who to love and who to hate without being so transparent about who the "villain" is 'supposed' to be.

I swear, most of television's edit monkeys need to take a step back.
The trend is old already.