TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
jhjones75

XL4 Audio

So I had an old receiver that didn't do HDMI pass thru. It would do the video thru HDMI but I had to split the audio using an optical cable. I have a Premiere XL4.

In an effort to clean up my cabling and move my xbox 360 to an audio system I got a new Sony HT-CT150. It's an amp/soundbar that does HDMI pass thru.

I've got the tivo and the xbox both hooked up with HDMI only and an HDMI output to the TV.

The Xbox sounds spectacular and exactly how I would expect it to, with no messing around of settings.

The Tivo sounds... tinny. I've messed with the various presets and nothing really seems to make a difference. It's set to Dolby Digital in the tivo settings.

I'd really prefer not to have to run another cable to split the audio up, and not sure if it'd make a difference anyway. Everything I'm reading says it really shouldn't.

Any ideas? Feels like I'm missing something easy
jhjones75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

If the TiVo is set to Dolby output then your soundbar is getting the digital audio directly from the recording. The TiVo is not processing it in any way. This is why you can't hear the be-doop sounds when you FF. So if it sounds tiny then there is something wrong with the soundbar setup not the TiVo.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
jhjones75

So I tried Neflix thru Tivo and that sounded fine, so I don't think it's the Tivo itself. Seems like just the normal channels thru Tivo sound terrible. And all I've tried are HD channels.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
ffitzgerald39

Sound Bar Audio

I purchased the same Sony sound bar and connected the same HDMI pass thru from the Premier. I got the same poor sound and could not control the sound bar. I then connected the Tivo to the TV(Sony) and everything else including the TV thru the sound bar. I now get good Tivo sound and control the sound bar by the Tivo remote thru the TV. (volume and muting).

I don't know if it is a sound bar or a Tivo problem but this set up works,
ffitzgerald39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
jhjones75

re

Yeah, if I connect it thru the TV first it kind of defeats the purpose

I adjusted the speaker levels and adjusting the center helped a bit. Looks like anything coming from the tivo is just Dolby Digital. When I started netflix it came thru correctly, so it's just the signal that Tivo is passing thru.

I guess Dolby Digital is just as good as it gets with a Premiere.