TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
ah30k

Recording a show from the mini?

Pretty basic scenario - One Premiere-4 and one mini. One tuner allocated to the mini.

Say I have three recordings scheduled on the P4's three tuners then go over to the mini.

I get that it can watch live because it has its allocated fourth tuner. Can I use the mini to record that fourth show? Does that just force the mini to stay tuned to the fourth recording?

The situation I want to do is record three on the P4 then go up to the mini and schedule a fourth. Can this be done?

Thanks
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
moyekj

No. By allocating 1 to the Mini that tuner is off limits for recording on the P4 and can only be used for live TV for the Mini. i.e. Your P4 is now a 3 tuner unit for the purposes of recording.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
ah30k

But I am asking if the mini then becomes a 1-tuner TiVo which can record 1 show. I'm guessing from your response the answer is no.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #4
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah30k View Post
But I am asking if the mini then becomes a 1-tuner TiVo which can record 1 show. I'm guessing from your response the answer is no.
No it cannot. The way TiVo implemented things the Mini can only use a tuner which is not recording anything.
To accomplish what you want you can dedicate 0 tuners to the Mini and then if you want to watch something with the Mini that is not already recorded you can use the Mini guide to schedule a recording on your P4 and then use MRS with Mini as a client to watch it - i.e. You can get close to live TV that way and yet still have 4 tuners to record from on your P4.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
ah30k

Hmm... interesting. I'll have to check with the wife and daughter to let them choose the behavior they desire. Pretty simple trade-off to choose: extra tuner for recording POSITIVE traded for inconvenience of extra step of record/delete for viewing NEGATIVE. Let them choose.

Thanks.