TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
alexsquared

TivoHD outputs no video and requires restart

OK everyone. I have looked through the related threads and I believe my problem is different. In the other threads, the users can still get the menus, etc to work. In my instance I get nothing, no video at all, until I restart the unit, which is no fun as the unit takes an absurd amount of time to restart. It has been working just fine for about 3 years, but now suddenly it seems to be blanked out anytime we go to use it. Any thoughts? It is a non-modded unit and our signal is via comcast cable card.
alexsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsquared View Post
OK everyone. I have looked through the related threads and I believe my problem is different. In the other threads, the users can still get the menus, etc to work. In my instance I get nothing, no video at all, until I restart the unit, which is no fun as the unit takes an absurd amount of time to restart. It has been working just fine for about 3 years, but now suddenly it seems to be blanked out anytime we go to use it. Any thoughts? It is a non-modded unit and our signal is via comcast cable card.
If you are using the HDMI output I will bet that may be your problem, try the component output just for fun, many people are reporting a HDMI problem with older TiVo-HDs, it seems that the HDMI handshake from the motherboard gets corrupted somehow. I have an old un-subed TiVo-HD I use (in the past) for testing and part switching that has that problem so I do use the component output now.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
alexsquared

Only thing that would push me away from this, is that in speaking with tivo, they indicated that they are also seeing times when the unit doesn't reach out to the TIVO server, which indicates a total freeze/failure, not just lack of video.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:40 AM   #4
lessd

Quote:
Only thing that would push me away from this, is that in speaking with tivo, they indicated that they are also seeing times when the unit doesn't reach out to the TIVO server, which indicates a total freeze/failure, not just lack of video.
Just try the component output, any three RCA cables will do for the test, you will need two more for audio.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:01 AM   #5
unitron

Quote:
When was the last time you opened it up and checked the power supply capacitors?

Is it running the original hard drive?

Do you have an external drive attached?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
alexsquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
When was the last time you opened it up and checked the power supply capacitors?

Is it running the original hard drive?

Do you have an external drive attached?
two days ago I opened it up and didn't see any capacitors that looked faulty, but I know I can't rely solely on visual inspection. Yes, it's the original drive and no I do not have an external drive attached.