TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
whitmans77

Is this possible with the MINI

I hope this hasnt been covered. I have looked and havent found any answers.
I have a man cave with 2 TVs set up next to each other. Currently I have a Series 3 and a comcast cable box providing signal to the 2 TVs. I know its possible to allocate the MINI to the 2nd tv but how would remotes work in that situation. I know with 2 tivos you could switch the 1/2 button. Would I be able to control the Tivo and the MINI independently?
Thanks
whitmans77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

The newer remotes don't have the 1/2 switch any more and the older ones that do don't have the A/B/C/D buttons they use all over the HDUI. So you'd either need a universal remote, like a Harmony, or you'll have to use two separate remotes for the Mini and S3.

But in either case you can set the S3 and the Mini to different remote addresses so that they will not interfere with one another.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
whitmans77

Thanks for the reply...can the same be said if i put an XL4 and the mini in the same place. Can they be assigned to different remotes?
Old 06-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yes all TiVos can be assigned a specific remote code. There are 9 unique codes 1-9 and there is a universal code 0. If a remote is set to 0 it will control all TiVos regardless of their code and if a TiVo is set to 0 it will respond to all remotes regardless of their code. A TiVo set to 1-9 will only respond to a remote with the same code or 0 and a remote set to 1-9 will only control a TiVo with the same code or 0.

The easiest way to set this up is to change the remote code on the S3 and remote you have now to something other then 0. Then when you get the Mini set it's remote to something other then 0 or the code of the S3. That way you can get through the setup without interfering with the S3. (The Mini will still be 0 so don't use the S3 remote while in setup or it could interfere with the Mini) Once setup is done set the remote code on the Mini and they will never conflict again.

To set the remote code on the remote you hold TiVo and pause for a few seconds until the light stays lit then press a number 1-9. To change it on the TiVo simply navigate to the System Information screen using that remote and press channel down. You'll see on that screen where it lists the remote code and it will change.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
whitmans77

Thanks!!!!!!