TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
nessie

Burn TiVo'd shows to DVD?

Is there an easy way to burn TiVo'd shows to DVD? I have a Series 2 TCD24008A, Tivo Desktop and a 15 day free trial of VideoReDo TV Suite. I tried transferring a show to Tivo Desktop then burning it with VideoReDo TV Suite, but just before finalizing the disc and it said something like "Disc Error!" Do I just have a bad disc or am I doing this wrong? It's just a blank DVD-R disc. Thanks for your help.
nessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Bad drive or simply bad DVD disc.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:56 PM   #3
steve614
what ru lookin at?

If the error is happening within VideoReDo, you might ask your question over at the VRD forums...

http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/forum.php

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:11 AM   #4
jcthorne

Folks still use optical media? Thought those shiny little discs went to the Smithsonian along with 8 track tapes....

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
pmiranda

DVDs are still handy if you have a player in your car or want to give a friend an episode of something they missed. Or for kid shows. Of course, a USB stick is way easier if you have something to play it on.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Folks still use optical media? Thought those shiny little discs went to the Smithsonian along with 8 track tapes....
Well, of course they do! They make nice coasters. They also make a neat little fireworks display if you put them in a microwave oven.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

There are a few things you can try. First try slowing down the burn. Not all media can burn at your drives max speed reliably. If that doesn't work then you might want to try installing the SPTD driver...

http://www.duplexsecure.com/en/downloads

Reboot your PC and then go into VideoReDo, click Tools->Options->DVD and change the burner protocol to STPD. SPTD allows us to grab exclusive access to the drive which prevents other programs from interrupting the burn process.

If that still doesn't work let me know and we can try a few more tests to figure out what's going on.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #8
Ariette

Arrow

Quote:
Yes, when Tivo deletes without your permission programs you planned to keep for posterity! All I know to do is to get out my old Panasonic DVD Recorder and record the programs from Comcast on Demand-- if the shows are even available there!

See this thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=505679
Ariette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #9
christheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariette View Post
Yes, when Tivo deletes without your permission programs you planned to keep for posterity! All I know to do is to get out my old Panasonic DVD Recorder and record the programs from Comcast on Demand-- if the shows are even available there!

I have been using DVD+Rs too, as an extension of my regular DVD library, and have been happy with the results for years. If it is that important then just make a backup copy. There are basically two groups of ways to do this, and i see you already do one of them. The other way is to transfer the Tivo program to a computer first, then do some very basic work on it first and then write it to DVD. If you do it with a computer then you wouldn't need to sit through each and every show or movie to capture it. However, due to a random Tivo glitch, your way will have the greatest chances of working.

As per your shows "expiring" as you describe in your other thread, outside of the possibility of your machine failing, I would suspect that it is intended by your service provider as per your terms of service for those particular shows or movies.

Last edited by christheman : 06-19-2013 at 08:30 PM.
christheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #10
christheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessie View Post
Is there an easy way to burn TiVo'd shows to DVD? I have a Series 2 TCD24008A, Tivo Desktop and a 15 day free trial of VideoReDo TV Suite. I tried transferring a show to Tivo Desktop then burning it with VideoReDo TV Suite, but just before finalizing the disc and it said something like "Disc Error!" Do I just have a bad disc or am I doing this wrong? It's just a blank DVD-R disc. Thanks for your help.
I don't know if you are still around or not, but I can only suggest you use good blank media. Not all DVD-R media is the same. For starters, I use "DVD+R" media as it is a more modern adaptation of the DVD-R and reportedly better suited for media use. I use Verbatim AZO DVD+R. The "AZO" label is key, as these are their premium discs and are manufactured internally by Mitsubishi Chemical Corp (MCC). Of course there will be an odd "coaster" here and there, but not too often. I cannot recall having any discs fail after verifying each burn and ruling out the few discs that are DOA.

http://microcenter.com/product/19352...0-Pack_Spindle

http://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-97000.../dp/B005F2YPH2

On the other hand, I would NOT get discs from their value line. Instead of saying "AZO", they say "Life Series" and are manufactured by Ume Disc. These have a greater amount of DOA failures to begin with.

http://microcenter.com/product/32799...0_Pack_Spindle

Also I should mention the Taiyo Yuden brand, which is considered top of the line too. Again, I would recommend their premium discs - even though they make their own value label discs:
http://www.mediasupply.com/tydd5psp8-1.html

Sorry about the links going to different places and different speeds of discs, that is just what I happened to already have bookmarked.

Last edited by christheman : 06-19-2013 at 09:23 PM.
christheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:52 AM   #11
jcthorne

All recordable optical media has a very limited lifespan. You are much better off storing on magnetic media drives, ie hard drive based backup. My point was that hard drive based storage, even in a NAS became cheaper than optical media long ago and allows you to store full resolution content along with other benefits. There just is no real need for optical media any longer.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:54 AM   #12
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariette View Post

I have NEVER had Tivo delete anything marked Keep Until I Delete unless I told it to. That aside, the DVR is not an archive library. Its local storage for immediate use.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #13
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
There just is no real need for optical media any longer.
Speak for yourself. I have plenty need for it.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
All recordable optical media has a very limited lifespan.
Most manufacturers say that recordable DVDs have a lifespan of about 100 years. I know they can't know for sure, but even if they're way off they should last well past the practical limit for the DVD format itself.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #15
lpwcomp

Quote:
All recordable optical media has a very limited lifespan. You are much better off storing on magnetic media drives, ie hard drive based backup. My point was that hard drive based storage, even in a NAS became cheaper than optical media long ago and allows you to store full resolution content along with other benefits. There just is no real need for optical media any longer.
Comparison numbers please. You should include power consumption costs (including cooling). Bear in mind that blank SL DVDs can be had for as little as $16/100.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #16
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Most manufacturers say that recordable DVDs have a lifespan of about 100 years. I know they can't know for sure, but even if they're way off they should last well past the practical limit for the DVD format itself.
I did not have much success with them, even high end ones, lasting much past 4 or 5 years with greater than 95% reliability. Was happy to see optical media go away.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:53 AM   #17
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Comparison numbers please. You should include power consumption costs (including cooling). Bear in mind that blank SL DVDs can be had for as little as $16/100.
Magnetic media uses no power in shelf state either. Only when spinning in ready state. Same is true for optical. And on a per GB basis, NAS is far cheaper than optical for power. (don't forget, both spin down when not being accessed as well and its pretty hard to beat 8 watts for 4 TB)

A single 4TB drive would be equivalent to over 800 DVD-r disks in capacity. So yes, I will concede the optical can still be cheaper but only if your media files are all 4.6GB or less which precludes most all true HD movie formats. And you really want to deal with THOUSANDS of individual discs? To each their own I suppose but once video progressed to HD, optical became of very limited usefulness and is fading fast from use.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #18
Dan203
Super Moderator

$25 = 50 DL discs with 8.4GB capacity = $250 for 4.2TB of storage.

But honestly I agree that a HDD is a much better option for a personal collection of movies. I mainly use DVDs to give stuff to friends and family.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #19
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
$25 = 50 DL discs with 8.4GB capacity = $250 for 4.2TB of storage.

But honestly I agree that a HDD is a much better option for a personal collection of movies. I mainly use DVDs to give stuff to friends and family.
Your math is off by a factor of 10.

50 DL discs at 8.4GB each is 420GB, not 4.2 TB. Would take 500 DL disks to equal 1 4TB drive.

I used to do the same but when HD media became mostly too large for a single disc, I gave up and started using thumb drives to give to family and friends. I get most of them back, they always seem to want some episode or other...And they have gotten pretty cheap. Whatever works for you.

Later Dan.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #20
lpwcomp

Quote:
Your math is off by a factor of 10.
No it isn't.

Quote:
50 DL discs at 8.4GB each is 420GB, not 4.2 TB. Would take 500 DL disks to equal 1 4TB drive.
That's why he said it was $250 for 4.2TB.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #21
nessie

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not that computer savvy so didn't realize you could burn TiVo'd shows to magnetic media.
In the end I just hooked up my DVD recorder to TiVo, pressed play on TiVo, hit record on the DVDR.
nessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #22
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessie View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I'm not that computer savvy so didn't realize you could burn TiVo'd shows to magnetic media.
In the end I just hooked up my DVD recorder to TiVo, pressed play on TiVo, hit record on the DVDR.
Uh oh, I think your hard drive is burning!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote