TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
Ariette

Angry Why Does Tivo Delete My Kept Programs & Why Can't I Get Them Back?!

My Tivo XL 4 (with Comcast Cable) has been sometimes deleting the last program or two I've recorded less than an hour after recording them, even though I've clicked "Keep until I delete" and have the green dots by them. Under Recording History, the shows say "This recording was deleted because it had expired. The space was used for other recordings..."-- yet I had no other recordings scheduled. I had at least 1-2 full HD hours (or at least 12-22 SD hours) left, and the programs were normal 1080i and 720p length one hour recordings. What's worse, while I can get back programs I delete, I don't know how to get back programs the Tivo decided to delete.

While I had a lot of other severe problems with DirecTV, I don't remember their own HD DVRs ever deleting my saved programs without asking my permission first. I also liked the way DirecTV DVRs allowed you to set a default automatic "save/ keep until I delete" on all programs. Tivo seems to care more about deleting programs than allowing us to keep them.

Last edited by Ariette : 06-19-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Ariette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

There is a flag your cable company can send with the content that will force the TiVo to delete a show after 90 minutes. It's suppose to be reserved for OnDemmand, but it's possible this flag is accidentally getting set on normal content. Is it happening to shows recorded from one specific channel?
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
Ariette

No, I don't believe that is the problem. Many of the shows being deleted aren't even available from Comcast On Demand-- such as Today, The View, Katie. Also most of the shows were deleted less than an hour after recording them, some in as little as 10 minutes after the shows were over!

I don't believe Comcast has anything to do with it whatsoever, because I remember having this problem sometimes way back in the early to mid 2000s with DirecTV Standard Tivo boxes. I just figured after nearly 10 years, Tivo would have enough sense to realize that the vast majority of their customers are upset when their programs are deleted without their permission, and that they would have finally resolved the problem! The least Tivo could do is put the programs the DVR deletes in the Deleted Folder, so we could possibly retrieve them later!

Other than HD and Tivo Desktop, I see little to no improvements in Tivo over the past 10 years. After the problems I had with DirecTV-- I thought I'd never say this-- but I wish I still had DirecTV's own brand DVRs! The only change for the better going from DTV to Comcast/ Tivo has been Comcast On Demand, which I absolutely love. (DirecTV On Demand had few TV shows, mostly just movies).

Last edited by Ariette : 06-21-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Ariette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #4
ggieseke

If it's only showing 1-2 hours of HD (or 12-22 hours of SD) left I would take that with a huge grain of salt. There were some bugs in the disk space meter until 20.3.1, and I don't think that the new software affects the shows that are already recorded. It's probably just flat out of disk space and the only thing you can do is offload some of it to your computer or delete a bunch of stuff.

The disk space meter has always been more guesswork than fact anyway since there's no way to truly predict how big a recording will be.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote