TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
yoyoma2

Comcast Broadcast HD on Tivo

I have been watching broadcast HD channels 702, 703, 705, 707 and 709 on my HD Tivo in the Bay Area for years and recently I no longer get 2 of these channels dues to 'digital migration'. According to Comcast support once my account is audited I will no longer get any of these channels unless I upgrade to a 'preferred' account.

I checked the Comcast page for my zip code and sure enough, limited basic does not offer broadcast HD channels anymore. Only digital preferred and digital premier, which I don't need.

What are my options? Do I have to use rabbit ears to get the digital signal outside of Comcast or is there some way I can get broadcast hd channels through Comcast while keeping my limited basic account.

Thanks for any info.
yoyoma2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma2 View Post
I have been watching broadcast HD channels 702, 703, 705, 707 and 709 on my HD Tivo in the Bay Area for years and recently I no longer get 2 of these channels dues to 'digital migration'. According to Comcast support once my account is audited I will no longer get any of these channels unless I upgrade to a 'preferred' account.

I checked the Comcast page for my zip code and sure enough, limited basic does not offer broadcast HD channels anymore. Only digital preferred and digital premier, which I don't need.

What are my options? Do I have to use rabbit ears to get the digital signal outside of Comcast or is there some way I can get broadcast hd channels through Comcast while keeping my limited basic account.

Thanks for any info.
You may get a better response on a Comcast forum as this is not a TiVo problem, you can only get what you pay for from most cable co.s

Old 06-19-2013, 11:48 PM   #3
yoyoma2

The Comcast forums generally involve a DTA box which I don't need since I am using a cablecard with the TiVo. These channels are all public, CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX and PBS so I figured Tivo owners might have some insight into this situation. I have called Comcast probably a dozen times and get different answers every time I call.

I'm basically in shock that public HD channels are no longer included even in the regular digital package so thought there might be some kind of mistake that other tivo owners have gone through.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:44 AM   #4
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma2 View Post
The Comcast forums generally involve a DTA box which I don't need since I am using a cablecard with the TiVo. These channels are all public, CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX and PBS so I figured Tivo owners might have some insight into this situation. I have called Comcast probably a dozen times and get different answers every time I call.

I'm basically in shock that public HD channels are no longer included even in the regular digital package so thought there might be some kind of mistake that other tivo owners have gone through.
Comcast in CT is going to scramble all channels starting in July, so I assume that if you don't pay for the HD reception you will not get it, now all the networks HD are in the clear so a TiVo can get them without any cable card.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
yoyoma2

Well, I think I figured out what happened. It turns out that Tivo Series 3 cannot display mpeg 4 streams and it looks like since Comcast recently changed from mpeg 2 to mpeg 4 for a couple of channels the Tivo can no longer display these channels. When I spoke with a Comcast 'executive' support person they initially said it had to to do with the fact that the account was not 'HD' enabled. They enabled HD for an additional $2.70 fee/month and the channel still did not display.

When I told him that the Comcast webpage lists these local broadcast HD channels as available to Digital Preferred or Digital Premier customers for my address he said the web page is incorrect and is why the regular Comcast support people said I needed to upgrade.

He told me I could get a digital HD enabled cable box for the same price as the cablecard and use that instead of the cablecard with the Series 3 Tivo. I told him to send it to me at no charge. Then I called Tivo to check on any special deals and it turns out they have an offer for a Tivo Premiere 4 + I can keep my $6.95 monthly fee for $199. So I ordered that instead and will cancel the digital box and just swap out the 2 single cards for 1 M card.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:27 AM   #6
yoyoma2

Update:

I got a new Tivo premiere 4, swapped my 2 single stream cable cards for 1 m card, and the same prolem happens, no HD ABC and PBS channels. Comcast is sending someone to take a look on Tuesday.