TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
Bigpapa7272

I believe a Comcast rep lied regarding Cable Card Self Installation please help

Getting a tivo premiere 4 xl tommorrow and Just talked to comcast rep in online chat about getting a cable card and he tried to tell me there is no self install and that a tech must install for $21.75 Is that correct? Since comcast in my area allows self installs of set top boxes and cable modems wouldnt that mean that they have to offer a self install of cable card under FCC?

I really dont want to spend $22.00 bucks on something that a chimp could do
Bigpapa7272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #2
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

You're right, they're wrong. Consider telling the FCC. Also, TiVo has/had (?) a help line just for this kind of thing, IIRC...

http://support.tivo.com/ci/fattach/g...777/redirect/1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:21 AM   #3
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Completely incorrect and chat reps are often clueless. Go to your nearest Comcast gulag (i.e., store) and wait in line to pick one up.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:49 AM   #4
AMike

And just to play it safe, you may want to pick up 2 cards while you are there in case the first one fails. The line at the DMVcast office will likely be long and slow.
1-TiVo Premiere XL4
1-TiVo Mini
AMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #5
stujac

Well, guys, I beg to differ. It depends on the Comcast office. My local office still does a truck roll and always has.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stujac View Post
Well, guys, I beg to differ. It depends on the Comcast office. My local office still does a truck roll and always has.
They are legally required to allow self install at this point. So either it has changed since the last time you got a card or your local office is also not following FCC rules.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
jrtroo
User

Quote:
You are begging about the wrong thing. Of course they will perform a truck roll at your expense, why not. However, they MUST allow a self install.

Read on:
http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights
Old 06-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #8
cheerdude
Reed & Juliet's CPA

When I did mine - i picked up the cards from a Comcast office. They gave me a small card that had phone numbers for support; one of which was for Cable Cards.
cheerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:05 AM   #9
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerock View Post
They are legally required to allow self install at this point. So either it has changed since the last time you got a card or your local office is also not following FCC rules.
They are not only required to allow self installs, they are required to inform you of that option.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #10
stujac

Ok-I give. I had a big fight with them on my last cc but that was 18 months ago. Sorry. I'm this close to switching to Fios anyway. What's their policy?
Old 06-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #11
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

It's the law, not policy. It was already the law 18 months ago.

Anyway, last time I did it, Fios was easy. I picked up a card at the Fios store (finding this was the hard part -- Verizon has an office a block from my house, but you can't do it there), and activated it online.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #12
AMike

I had a unique situation here. I basically installed everything here myself without a truck roll. I picked up the necessary cc's from the office. They gave me zero resistance and provided me the direct number to the cable card activation department. This process has been fairly seemless.
1-TiVo Premiere XL4
1-TiVo Mini
AMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #13
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
same here, no exceptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerock View Post
They are legally required to allow self install at this point...your local office is also not following FCC rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
they MUST allow a self install.
i know you're both right in theory, but what can a new cable card customer who wants service do in the moment to change their minds? quoting fcc regs to customer service reps, supervisors, or installers will get you nowhere. they are following rules issued by their bosses.

if they refuse to allow a self install, that's the end of discussion. if you want the service, all you can do is report the situation after the installer leaves (which is what i did).

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace

Last edited by NorthAlabama : 06-15-2013 at 09:09 AM.
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #14
moedaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
same here, no exceptions.

i know you're both right in theory, but what can a new customer who wants service do in the moment to change their minds? quoting fcc regs to customer service reps, supervisors, or installers will get you nowhere. they are following rules issued by their bosses.

if they refuse to allow a self install, that's the end of discussion. if you want the service, all you can do is report the situation after the installer leaves (which is what i did).
Well of course a new customer needs a truck roll and can't do a self-install. You're going to be allowed to connect a cable from the pole to the house and have the service turned on. But for people who already have service, they are required to allow a cc self-install. What a new customer should do is have them install with a stb, then go to the cable store and return the stb and pick up a cc.
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #15
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedaman View Post
Well of course a new customer needs a truck roll and can't do a self-install. You're going to be allowed to connect a cable from the pole to the house and have the service turned on. But for people who already have service, they are required to allow a cc self-install. What a new customer should do is have them install with a stb, then go to the cable store and return the stb and pick up a cc.
Nonsense. They do not need access to the inside of your domicile to attach the cable. If someone does it your way, they are still going to be charged for the installation of the STB.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #16
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Well of course a new customer needs a truck roll and can't do a self-install.
excuse my earlier, confusing post. i was a new cable card customer, not a new comcast cusotmer - i already had an account and basic digital service. they refused to add the cable card without a truck roll, period. i visited the local office, and spoke to supervisors, emailed corporate, and called tivo. afterwards, i submitted a complaint to the fcc.

even after all this, it took comcast a week and two truck rolls to correctly provision my account to receive all my channels. the installers just stood in my living room, watching my tv, while talking to dispatch on the phone until all the channels eventually came through. they never had to lift a finger, as i had already installed the equipment (and the card once they brought it).

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
Old 06-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #17
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

When did you do it? The mandatory card self-install rule for Comcast and other MSOs that allowed STB self-installs went into effect in August 2011.

If you didn't call corporate and tell them the local was not in compliance, you missed out - the corporate reps can and will get the local straight and/or refund your truck roll cost. Emailing them is not calling, I've always gotten a call back from corporate when I called them first.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #18
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Well of course a new customer needs a truck roll and can't do a self-install.
Wrong, they let people do them all the time with either boxes or cards.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #19
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
When did you do it? The mandatory card self-install rule for Comcast and other MSOs that allowed STB self-installs went into effect in August 2011.

If you didn't call corporate and tell them the local was not in compliance, you missed out - the corporate reps can and will get the local straight and/or refund your truck roll cost. Emailing them is not calling, I've always gotten a call back from corporate when I called them first.
april 2012 (my tcf join date). corporate did call me, and i explained my expectations for the self install, and how my reasonings were based on the fcc ruling (both in email and phone call). i was very calm, patient, and extremely polite through the entire process.

corporate continued to follow up until the service was working. they refunded both truck rolls, and credited a week's service without my new channels. it was still a much bigger hassel than research before the install had led me to belive.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #20
Bigpapa7272

Thanks for all the replys

I'm going to hit the comcast office at open and ill let you know what happens
Old 06-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #21
ToeCutter

While it might not be the most popular suggestion, I'd definitely go with a truck roll on a first time install. Demand a tech that has experience with cable card installs.

I only suggest this as you'll likely be stuck talking to countless Comcast CSR's that have no clue about cable cards, especially if it's a first time TiVo install. At least with a truck roll, you're (almost) guaranteed to get the TiVo working before the tech leaves. They also can't blame you for any configuration issues.

Even after all these years, I'm astonished at how few Comcast techs have been trained on cable cards. I had a VOD issue a few weeks back and it took 4 separate phone calls to finally determine it was an issue on Comcast's authentication servers. One of the CSRs changed an account flag that shut down my VOD. They were determined to send a tech, despite my resistance insisting that NOTHING on my 3 year old TiVo's had changed.

I'd pay the $20 or so to ensure they get it knocked out in one visit vs. wasting HOURS of your time talking to different CSRs.
ToeCutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #22
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeCutter View Post
While it might not be the most popular suggestion, I'd definitely go with a truck roll on a first time install. Demand a tech that has experience with cable card installs.
Yeah, that'll work. Comcast is sure to accede to your demands.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #23
Bigpapa7272

most comcast techs in baltimore are a few fries short of happy meal. im a pretty tech savvy guy ive built and updated a few computers in my day so i think i can handle a cable card install

this isnt the first time ive had a tivo i had a tivo many moons ago it was a dual tuner series 2 back before the need for cable cards
Old 06-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #24
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeCutter View Post
I'd pay the $20 or so to ensure they get it knocked out in one visit vs. wasting HOURS of your time talking to different CSRs.
Makes no sense. All that tech is doing is calling their own hotline. Nothing special happens on site.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #25
Bigpapa7272

Picked up a cable card at the local office wasn't to. Painful there was in and out in under 10 minutes
Old 06-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #26
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

glad picking up the card went so smoothly , especially after being told an install was necessary. please post an update on how the pairing process worked out.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #27
Bigpapa7272

Working on Guided setup as we speak should have an answer for you in bit
Old 06-18-2013, 06:13 PM   #28
Bigpapa7272

Help Ok I did guided setup, activated on the website and inerted my cable card and its an m-card and the tivo is saying not an m card
Old 06-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #29
Bigpapa7272

Getting an error that its an invalid card and that it wasnt an mcard, called to activate and tech tells me its not an m card This is frustrating considering I asked the dummy at the comcast lobby if it was an mcard twice and was told yes. Now i have to go back tommorrow after work and swap.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #30
bshrock

Make sure it is labeled "M-Card" not just the 'M' for the Motorola logo. your card should look like the one on the What is a cableCARD page
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote