Forum Jump

Old 02-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #31
MeInDallas

It works great! Cools exactly the same as the stock fan
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:44 AM   #32
JimPa
S3 owner/user

My S3 is on life support and I've been looking at a Premiere.

Is there any reason to believe that Tivo has started putting better fans into their boxes? I don't want to swap one set of problems for another set.
JimPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #33
Bruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyhoundR View Post
It's the Gelid FN-SX05-40 50 and runs $7.99 + S&H on Newegg, or can be found for around $11ish including S&H on eBay. It's a 3-wire fan, but I just experimented and the connector built in fit fine with only 2 pins connected. It does respond to the Tivo's on-rush of fan speed during boot-up.
FYI, this is now back in stock at Newegg. I had an AUTO NOTIFY set up, and I just got the email. If you have ShopRunner, you get free shipping. Also, I'm on their "promotions" mailing list and got an email this morning offering 20% off case fans. Even though I had deleted the email (since the fan was still OOS this morning), I was able to call customer service after placing the order and get 20% credited back.
Bruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #34
leiff

I'm not sure my xl4 premier has always been so loud, but I'd like it replaced with something quiter. Is the newegg linked to above good choice? I assume I loose TiVo 12 month warranty? Any other downside? This is easy to do right. Don't need tools?
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #35
sboy1999

Grease in Fan worked to reduce loud noises

Thanks for the tip on adding fishing reel grease inside the fan. My Premiere XL had started to make very loud noises and was very difficult to sleep at night. Cleaning the fan of accumulated dust and taking off the sticker, pulling out the small rubber plug and adding reel grease worked very well.

I am a little amazed that Tivo can't put in quieter fans to begin with or specify to their parts supplier to have the fans greased well and with a low decibel level.

I would add for people who are unsure if the noise is coming from the hard drive spinning or the fan, to put something like the end of a pencil in the fan vent to stop the fan from spinning. If the noise stops, it is the fan - if not, you will have to deal with replacing the hard drive or making sure the drive did not come loose from its housing.

Thanks again for the tip.
sboy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #36
Dan203
Super Moderator

We had a power outage yesterday for about 4 hours. I have my TiVos connected to UPSes, but it was just out too long and eventually they all died. Anyway this morning I noticed that the Premiere XL in my office is making a loud fan noise. I blew it out with some canned air, but it's still doing it.

I'm not a fisherman so I don't have any fishing reel grease, what's a good alternative? I have some lubricant for my shredder will that work? I also have a little bottle of oil that came with my electric razor and some WD40.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #37
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
We had a power outage yesterday for about 4 hours. I have my TiVos connected to UPSes, but it was just out too long and eventually they all died. Anyway this morning I noticed that the Premiere XL in my office is making a loud fan noise.
Yep- that is exactly how it starts. Mine is also on a UPS so it rarely gets turned off- even with updates it is a reboot, not a power cycle. Once when it was power cycled is when it started that type of noise and it was very annoying

Quote:
I blew it out with some canned air, but it's still doing it.

I'm not a fisherman so I don't have any fishing reel grease, what's a good alternative? I have some lubricant for my shredder will that work? I also have a little bottle of oil that came with my electric razor and some WD40.
Oil and WD40 are not going to help.
Grease- maybe... depending on type and how it is applied.

Me? I replaced the fan with a new one from WeaKnees.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #38
MeInDallas

I got a little bottle of this, works great for computer fans:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-IN-ONE-ELE...item25692722ab
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #39
Dan203
Super Moderator

The weaknees one is expensive. I think I'll just buy one of the other ones listed here. I have shoprunner so I can get one from NewEgg for $6 with free shipping.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #40
Dan203
Super Moderator

Seems to have quieted down today. Guess I'll leave it alone until it starts acting up again.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #41
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Seems to have quieted down today. Guess I'll leave it alone until it starts acting up again.
Yep, that is exactly what it will do. Go crazy for several hours or even a few days after a power cycle, then go away........ it will return worse with each power cycle and probably return after a few more months of operation.

At least they are consistent.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #42
Dan203
Super Moderator

It came back for a few hours this afternoon so I just went ahead and ordered a fan from NewEgg. ($6 w/Shoprunner 2 day shipping) If that one doesn't work for some reason I'll just pay the $20 and get one from Weaknees.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #43
Dan203
Super Moderator

It was quite for like 5 days so I assumed it had fixed itself. But today it's noisy again. I guess I'm going to have to install that fan I bought.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #44
RichB

Quote:
It was quite for like 5 days so I assumed it had fixed itself. But today it's noisy again. I guess I'm going to have to install that fan I bought.
I may try this one:

Gelid 50MM fan because I have had good experience with their other fans and it has Fluid Dynamic bearings.

- Rich
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #45
late for dinner
Past Expiration Date

I haven't heard a peep out of my noisy Premiere since I greased (IIRC I used bicycle grease) the fan over a year ago. No way would I buy a new one when the repair is so easy.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #46
Dan203
Super Moderator

I bought this one...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835168013

$6 with free 2nd day shipping through ShopRunner. (which I got for free)

Would have cost me at least a few dollars, plus a trip to the store, to buy any sort of grease. (I don't have any)
Old 06-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #47
Dan203
Super Moderator

Ahhhhhh..... Silence once again. The fan got so bad it started to make a clicking noise that sounded like a noisy hard drive running a defrag. It was driving me nuts so I took a 10 minute break and replaced the fan. Now it's silent again.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #48
unitron

Quote:
We had a power outage yesterday for about 4 hours. I have my TiVos connected to UPSes, but it was just out too long and eventually they all died. Anyway this morning I noticed that the Premiere XL in my office is making a loud fan noise. I blew it out with some canned air, but it's still doing it.

What works best is a combination of light grease and light oil.

Clean out the old stuff with a Q-tip and some de-natured alcohol or such.

Pack in the grease, then add a drop of oil, turn the blades a few times and add another drop.

The oil can be something like 3-in-ONE, sewing machine oil, the stuff that comes with razors and beard trimmers, etc, and the grease, well, I used to use some lithium based stuff called IgnitionLube which was intended for the multi-sided thing (rubbing block) that opened and closed the points on older ignitions (pre-transistorized). Can't find it anymore, but last time in the auto parts store found a little tube of stuff called Dielectric Tune-Up Grease by Permatex that also works.

Going to try to get to the local sporting goods store and check for fishing reel grease to have a back-up supply. It's nice to have something to lubricate CD/DVD drive trays and spindles as well.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #49
late for dinner
Past Expiration Date

I used bicycle grease only and worked perfectly
Old 01-14-2014, 07:20 PM   #50
floridabowler

Noisy TiVo Premier fan

I see it has been a while since anyone added to this thread...I just found it this morning after waking up a few days ago to a very noisy fan on my bedroom TiVo. I had to replace the fan on an old Series 3 a couple of years ago...it was easy to find, cheap to buy and no problem installing....now, on to the Premier...

After reading through a number of the posts here I decided to try the "lube-it-yourself" routine...success!!!!

After removing the fan, peeling the sticker off and popping out the little round rubber cap, I took a look at what was down in the hole using a loupe for extra magnification. What I saw was a few small "globs" of yellow grease kind of stuck to the sides of the little hole...very possibly indicating nothing more than "bad aim" on the part of the assembly person in applying the grease. I think he just missed the mark and the poor fan was starving for some lube. I used a cotton swab to clean out the hole, carefully applied a couple of small drops of sewing machine oil and ,voila, no more noise!!! How long it will last is yet to be seen, but the whole operation only took a few minutes...my toolkit already had the proper tools (allen wrench & star drivers) so it was a breeze. If I have to do it again to keep it running smoothly, no problem...and best of all NO COST!
Thanks to everyone for the ideas...hope my 2 cents helps someone else.
floridabowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:41 PM   #51
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

I replaced a fan on one of my Premeires when it got noisy. I used a fan from a extra Premier i had. After reading this thread I am thinking of trying to fix the fan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangler View Post
I just noticed mine making noise today. I pulled out the fan, peeled the sticker off and removed the rubber plug in the center. I packed it with a lightweight fishing reel grease I had laying around the house. Pressed the plug back in and held it forcing the grease in further while working the fan wheel.

It is completely silent and cost nothing to fix, we'll see how long it lasts...
I am thinking lithium would be better as I have read that it lasts longer and doesn't dry out. Is that true?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
I got a little bottle of this, works great for computer fans:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-IN-ONE-ELE...item25692722ab
I have read that oil will only work if you have dried out grease in there that the oil will bring back to life. If there is no grease, then the oil will rapidly dry out.

I am also reticent about using oil as some oil damages plastic.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:49 AM   #52
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridabowler View Post
I see it has been a while since anyone added to this thread...I just found it this morning after waking up a few days ago to a very noisy fan on my bedroom TiVo. I had to replace the fan on an old Series 3 a couple of years ago...it was easy to find, cheap to buy and no problem installing....now, on to the Premier...

After reading through a number of the posts here I decided to try the "lube-it-yourself" routine...success!!!!

After removing the fan, peeling the sticker off and popping out the little round rubber cap, I took a look at what was down in the hole using a loupe for extra magnification. What I saw was a few small "globs" of yellow grease kind of stuck to the sides of the little hole...very possibly indicating nothing more than "bad aim" on the part of the assembly person in applying the grease. I think he just missed the mark and the poor fan was starving for some lube. I used a cotton swab to clean out the hole, carefully applied a couple of small drops of sewing machine oil and ,voila, no more noise!!! How long it will last is yet to be seen, but the whole operation only took a few minutes...my toolkit already had the proper tools (allen wrench & star drivers) so it was a breeze. If I have to do it again to keep it running smoothly, no problem...and best of all NO COST!
Thanks to everyone for the ideas...hope my 2 cents helps someone else.

Doubt it was bad aim in initial lube so much as years of centrifugal or centripetal force, which ever one is supposed to actually exist.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:01 AM   #53
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
I replaced a fan on one of my Premeires when it got noisy. I used a fan from a extra Premier i had. After reading this thread I am thinking of trying to fix the fan.

I am thinking lithium would be better as I have read that it lasts longer and doesn't dry out. Is that true?

I have read that oil will only work if you have dried out grease in there that the oil will bring back to life. If there is no grease, then the oil will rapidly dry out.

I am also reticent about using oil as some oil damages plastic.
The best thing to use is often what you already have on hand, because at least that way it gets done.

Do not use Vaseline.

Do not use bear grease, Daniel Boone.

Do not use lard.

The stuff you use to pack wheel bearings on automobiles is too thick.

If you happen across an old tube of something called PhonoLube, that'll probably work if it hasn't dried out or gotten hard.

Something with molybdenum* will probably work as long as it's not too thick.

I bought a tube of White Lithium Grease at Lowe's or Home Depot recently for use on our clothes dryer's "axle". I'll probably use it from now on in conjunction with 3-in-One or Singer Sewing Machine oil.

*On the subject of molybdenum, allow me to recommend an old John Astin movie, "The Brother's O'Toole".

Old 10-09-2014, 02:52 AM   #54
CelticKnot

My TiVo Premiere has been really noisy for the past month and finally I searched around and found this thread. I went to my local Fry's (electronics mega depot) and bought a tube of grease and a new 50mm fan. Well, let's just say the fan is going back, and I'll apply that $7 to a $50 flashlight or something...

While I was at it I also upgraded the HD from the 320GB to a nice fat 1TB. That should hold me until it's Roamio time.

For those considering either the fan replacement or greasing, it's very simple. The hardest part is getting the TiVo out of your entertainment center and then plugging things back in the correct way when you're done. Good luck! Thanks everyone for the tips!
CelticKnot is offline   Reply With Quote