TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #31
Dan203
Super Moderator

For now. But they could switch all your channels to digital tomorrow and then it would be useless.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #32
stormtech

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I don't recognize that model number.

On the back of the unit where the power cord plugs in there should be a sticker and on that sticker a model number that starts with TCD.

What is that number?

Have you ever replaced a hard drive in a computer before?
The 9410 number is what I got from looking at my Tivo account. The actual number from the back of the unit is:

TCD649080

And yes, I've replaced many a hard drive in my computers including just upgrading myself to an SSD for my OS and programs and using my hard drive for all my data.

Also looking at the Tivo settings, I see it must be an 80 hour unit. It shows 80 hours available at the least quality recording. I have set on one above that "good" which gives me 48 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
The prices discussed included an already prepaid lifetime subscription. The subscription conveys to the new owner of the box without any further charges from Tivo.
While the idea of getting a second series 2 with a lifetime subscription seems like a feasible idea, I really don't like the idea of buying a 5-6 year old electronic device from ebay.

And as far as a lifetime subscription, I didn't opt into that when I first bought my present unit as I didn't trust it to keep working for 5 years of more, or would be compelled to upgrade before the break even point. Electronic devices change so quickly these days.
stormtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #33
dravrah1

I had 3 S2s (2 with lifetime) collecting dust for 3+ years and I finally got around to trying to sell them a couple of weeks ago. I was able to sell all 3 on Craigslist for $150. The guy I sold them to said he was going to use them with analog cable and it sounded like he lived a little bit out in the boonies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Why would anyone get a S2 at this point? I have several in my closet just collecting dust. Even with a SDTV the hassle of using a cable box and IR blasters would steer me toward at least a S3.

dravrah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #34
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormtech View Post
While the idea of getting a second series 2 with a lifetime subscription seems like a feasible idea, I really don't like the idea of buying a 5-6 year old electronic device from ebay.

And as far as a lifetime subscription, I didn't opt into that when I first bought my present unit as I didn't trust it to keep working for 5 years of more, or would be compelled to upgrade before the break even point. Electronic devices change so quickly these days.
You're throwing away money by paying $129 a year for service when you could buy a suitablle subsitute for $50 that includes service for the life of the unit. Clearly you need to replace the series 2 you have sooner rather than later and if you want to add another do so as well. You can revisit the upgrade to s newer model later when your cable company drags you into the digital age.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #35
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter

Fellow SDUI user here

Quote:
I have a Series 2 TiVo... is there any compelling reason I should upgrade?
Hold on to analog as long as you can. Your cableco should provide plenty of warning before it goes all-digital. I would still be using my Series 2 Dual Tuner if Comcast hadn't discontinued analog transmission last year, forcing me to upgrade.

My household has no HDTVs, so we have to use the bug-infested SDUI on our two Premiere 4/XL4/Elites. The fall update v20.2.2.1 on December 5 ruined the SDUI's My Shows list when Groups are off, and the spring update v20.3.1 on May 16 caused the systemwide font to become faint, among other bugs which TiVo's tech support claims are "intended" changes. Yeah, right. More like inept programmers and deficient beta testing.

You don't know the frustration you'll be in for with the Premiere's SDUI, and no fixes are in sight. If it weren't for Wish Lists and the fact I can transfer my favorite shows to a PC to strip out the commercials, I'd be using a cableco DVR.
MHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:03 PM   #36
unitron

Quote:
The 9410 number is what I got from looking at my Tivo account. The actual number from the back of the unit is:

TCD649080

And yes, I've replaced many a hard drive in my computers including just upgrading myself to an SSD for my OS and programs and using my hard drive for all my data.

Also looking at the Tivo settings, I see it must be an 80 hour unit. It shows 80 hours available at the least quality recording. I have set on one above that "good" which gives me 48 hours.

That's the dual tuner S2, or S2DT as we call it around here.

I've got a couple of them I bought used that have been chugging right along for about 2 or 3 years now.

That particular model seems to have mostly dodged the power supply problems caused by "capacitor plague" which have cropped up in the other S2s and the S3s, so a lifetime sub on it would probably have been a good investment when it was new, but of course that requires that you be able to see into the mysterious future.

It can use 2 1TB drives, although as far as I know it can't use 1 2TB drive.

You'll need an aftermarket dual drive bracket to put 2 drives in it.

Since people with S3s are getting the $99 lifetime deal on them when they buy and subscribe an S4, you should ask TiVo if they'll do a deal on lifetime for your S2DT.

That'll give it some resale value.

The monthly rate on an S4 may be higher than the rate you pay now, so nail that down in advance.

You might want to do some reading in the Premiere threads, as some people do have some problems with them.

Which is not to say that the various S3s never have problems, but apparently fewer.

A lifetimed S3 at a good price, if you can find one, may be worth your consideration.

You can upgrade one to a 2TB drive (as you can that 500GB Premiere).

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #37
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHunter1 View Post
Hold on to analog as long as you can. Your cableco should provide plenty of warning before it goes all-digital. I would still be using my Series 2 Dual Tuner if Comcast hadn't discontinued analog transmission last year, forcing me to upgrade.

My household has no HDTVs, so we have to use the bug-infested SDUI on our two Premiere 4/XL4/Elites. The fall update v20.2.2.1 on December 5 ruined the SDUI's My Shows list when Groups are off, and the spring update v20.3.1 on May 16 caused the systemwide font to become faint, among other bugs which TiVo's tech support claims are "intended" changes. Yeah, right. More like inept programmers and deficient beta testing.

You don't know the frustration you'll be in for with the Premiere's SDUI, and no fixes are in sight. If it weren't for Wish Lists and the fact I can transfer my favorite shows to a PC to strip out the commercials, I'd be using a cableco DVR.
I thought it was the HDUI that was buggy and half-finished on the S4s?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #38
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHunter1 View Post

What? The HDUI is bad, the SDUI is bad...

The HDUI in a premier works fine and is faster then your current S2 system. The SDUI in a permier is lightning fast and will have a similar interface as your S2 system.

If you ever plan on upgrading your tube TV to a modern flat screen TV, the S2 is out of date old tech and will not support it.

FTLOG
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #39
stormtech

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
If you ever plan on upgrading your tube TV to a modern flat screen TV, the S2 is out of date old tech and will not support it.

FTLOG
This is an interesting point - one that I didn't think of.

Please excuse my nativity - I know nothing about TV's, high definition, etc.

I guess my TV is pretty old - I don't know if it is actually a tube type, but it is a behemoth in size with a 30" screen. I relate it to a CRT monitor.

So, are you saying that if I upgrade to a flat screen TV, my present S2 box will not work with it? If not, would the Premier unit work with either my old TV or a new one?

I actually dread the day I have to buy a new TV as I am not familiar with all the acronyms and features. Now I even begin to wonder if a new TV would even work at all with my analog cable......
Old 06-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #40
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

CRT= Cathode Ray Tube. If your screen is curved glass, this is what you have. Most old TVs are this.

Technically the S2 will work with most newer TVs, it just won't take advantage of their full capabilities. Odds are, the picture will look terrible. The Premiere is compatible with older TVs, although if the set only has an RF (coax) input, you'll need a converter for that (an old VCR will do).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #41
stormtech

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
CRT= Cathode Ray Tube. If your screen is curved glass, this is what you have. Most old TVs are this.

Technically the S2 will work with most newer TVs, it just won't take advantage of their full capabilities. Odds are, the picture will look terrible. The Premiere is compatible with older TVs, although if the set only has an RF (coax) input, you'll need a converter for that (an old VCR will do).
Thank you for clarifying this for me.

While I have no immediate need to upgrade my TV right now, I was just trying to be sure that if I had to buy a new one, either Tivo box would work with it.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #42
atmuscarella

Quote:
This is an interesting point - one that I didn't think of.

Please excuse my nativity - I know nothing about TV's, high definition, etc.

I guess my TV is pretty old - I don't know if it is actually a tube type, but it is a behemoth in size with a 30" screen. I relate it to a CRT monitor.

So, are you saying that if I upgrade to a flat screen TV, my present S2 box will not work with it? If not, would the Premier unit work with either my old TV or a new one?

I actually dread the day I have to buy a new TV as I am not familiar with all the acronyms and features. Now I even begin to wonder if a new TV would even work at all with my analog cable......
The simple answer is everything will "work" with everything...But (there always is a But ) if how it works is acceptable or not is another matter.

The are several things that happened in the last few years:
  • Cable has moved from analog only to a combination of analog and digital, and will end up digital only
  • Over the air (OTA) broadcast have moved from analog to mostly digital (there very few low power analog channels left) and will be all digital soon.
  • At the same time we have/are moving from stand definition (SD) to high definition (HD) TV. Just for reference analog can only be SD TV but digital can be SD or HD.
  • In addition the aspect ratio of programs made for TV has changed from 4:3 (most older CRT TVs) to 16:9. At this point nearly all new TVs are 16:9 HD flat panels. They can display older 4:3 and/or SD content but it might look like sh**.
  • older Series 1 & 2 TiVos are SD only analog devices and can record from analog (cable and OTA depending on the model) or any cable/satellite Set top box (STB). They will work with any TV including new HD TVs but the content might look like sh**.
  • Series 3 and dual tuner Premiere TiVos are HD digital devices and can record from analog or digital SD and HD cable and OTA. Cable cards are required for digital cable. They will work with any TV.
  • Premiere 4 & XL4 TiVos are HD digital devices and can only record from digital cable. Cable cards are required for digital cable. They will work with any TV.

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #43
stormtech

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
The simple answer is everything will "work" with everything...But (there always is a But ) if how it works is acceptable or not is another matter.
Wow - fantastic summary! This has put it all in perspective for me and I think I've made a decision on what to do.

I am paying what I think is quite a low price for the cable TV that I now have. don't watch all that much TV so what I have now is sufficient.

Being that it is fairly inevitable that the cable company will eventually switch over to all digital, when they do I am sure I will have to pay more at that point.

Since my TV is fairly antiquated, it kind of makes a good match for my current S2 receiver. I now understand why the new TV's are a more rectangular shape being that the new standard ratio is 16:9. Also I was talking with my wife about this over lunch, and said that it was mentioned here that if I ever witnessed HDTV, I would probably be blown away. She said that her parents have HD, and it is in fact something to see.

So my plan of action (or inaction) for now is to not change anything. I am so glad to learn here that the change over to digital is inevitable. At that point, I will go ahead and buy a new TV, and more than likely get DirecTV - they seem to always have a promotion going that includes a DVR for free, and HD programming with them is standard (don't have to pay an extra fee).

I really appreciate all the responses - what a great group you have here! I've learned a lot in these couple pages for sure. I always want to be an informed consumer, but am very lax with my knowledge of TV and audio. At least now I know that sometime in the near future I will have to upgrade my equipment (TV & DVR) and will not be so lost when the time comes.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #44
shwru980r

I think the S2 picture is good on a small 19" LCD TV.
Humax DRT800-Lifetime-OTA
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Toshiba SD-H400-Basic-Cable
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #45
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

If you are satisfied with analog, then you could get a dual-tuner Series2 Tivo with lifetime for less than the Premeire without lifetime. The only caveat is that the S2DT will only work with cable - no OTA.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:15 PM   #46
smithken31100

Quote:
For now. But they could switch all your channels to digital tomorrow and then it would be useless.
Absolutely true but for now it is useful. The shows I record on the series 2 are repeated often so if I miss any I can catch them with the Premiere.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #47
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Why would anyone get a S2 at this point? I have several in my closet just collecting dust. Even with a SDTV the hassle of using a cable box and IR blasters would steer me toward at least a S3.
Still an number of cable providers that include analog versions. I have Suddenlink and they do. Also, my daughter in Iowa lives in a giant apartment complex that includes TV service with it's own special lineup from the cable company. It is analog and I suspect that is not an uncommon situation. There is a new college apartment complex here that does the same thing.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:28 AM   #48
buscuitboy

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
You're throwing away money by paying $129 a year for service when you could buy a suitablle subsitute for $50 that includes service for the life of the unit. Clearly you need to replace the series 2 you have sooner rather than later and if you want to add another do so as well. You can revisit the upgrade to s newer model later when your cable company drags you into the digital age.
I will tell you that I had a Series 2 dual tuner and was able to get it lifetimed for $99 so you may want to at least try this instead of paying $129 a year. I wound up selling it a year later on ebay and got MORE than what I paid for the lifetime so it paid for itself there. Keep in mind though that a lifetimed S2 is worth less these days then when I sold it (late 2012) & keeps decreasing over time so don't get it based solely on resale value.

Also, I will tell you that I have gotten some Series 3s off Craigslist for about $30 each & was then also able to ultimately lifetime them for $99 without buying a new Premiere. Now, I already had a monthly Premiere on my account and I would initially sign up these used Series 3s for just a monthly subscription. Since there is a free 30 day period, I would then call them & basically told them if I can't $99 lifetime the Series 3, then I was gonna cancel BOTH the series 3 and the monthly Premiere. This seemed to be enough motivation to make them give me the $99 lifetime option for the series 3s.

This is just my experience and worked for me, but maybe you can somehow use a similar tactic; Get a Series 3 off craigslist or ebay for cheap. Sign it up, but then call TiVo within 30 days and ask to lifetime the series 3. Threaten to cancel BOTH Tivos (your current S2 and the S3) if they don't apply the $99 lifetime to the Series 3 box. I would bet the chances are good that they would apply it, but not totally sure either.

Last edited by buscuitboy : 06-17-2013 at 07:46 AM.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #49
moedaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Still an number of cable providers that include analog versions. I have Suddenlink and they do. Also, my daughter in Iowa lives in a giant apartment complex that includes TV service with it's own special lineup from the cable company. It is analog and I suspect that is not an uncommon situation. There is a new college apartment complex here that does the same thing.
Yep, Comcast still has analog on at my son's college dorm. When I set-up his 22" lcd tv, I scanned 60 analog and 20 digital channels. He ended up buying a 80gb lifetimed S2 for $75 to use there.
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #50
mattack

Quote:
I just double checked - I am in fact receiving an analog signal. If I were to want a digital signal, I would have to have a converter box with comes with an extra fee.
So you mean you plug the cable directly into the Tivo and NOT a cable box, right?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:05 PM   #51
stormtech

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
So you mean you plug the cable directly into the Tivo and NOT a cable box, right?
Yes - that is correct.

And to add - I think I jinxed myself now - my 15+ year old tube TV is going out. So I am off to start the first stage of this upgrade sooner than I thought with buying a new TV.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #52
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

OMG, you will not regret the upgrades. Both to your TiVo and to HD.

Definitely go lifetime. If you got your S2 in 2004 (they came out in 2002), you've paid over $1K in subscriptions, plus the initial hardware cost. I didn't read the whole thread, not sure if you need 4 tuners. But I just got (11 June) an offer from TiVo for a $449 500GB TiVo Premiere that includes lifetime service.

That there's a no brainer.

PS: PM me if you do not see that offer. Also, for $100 or so (depending on current drive prices) you can put that original 500GB drive on a shelf as backup and dupe it to a 2TB drive, giving you 300 hours of HD and a billion (give or take) of SD.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:21 PM   #53
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
OMG, you will not regret the upgrades. Both to your TiVo and to HD.

Definitely go lifetime. If you got your S2 in 2004 (they came out in 2002), you've paid over $1K in subscriptions, plus the initial hardware cost. I didn't read the whole thread, not sure if you need 4 tuners. But I just got (11 June) an offer from TiVo for a $449 500GB TiVo Premiere that includes lifetime service.

That there's a no brainer.

PS: PM me if you do not see that offer. Also, for $100 or so (depending on current drive prices) you can put that original 500GB drive on a shelf as backup and dupe it to a 2TB drive, giving you 300 hours of HD and a billion (give or take) of SD.

FWIW, the 4tuner one is only $549 lifetimed. However, I don't like that option--they took away OTA with the 4 tuner P4.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #54
stormtech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
FWIW, the 4tuner one is only $549 lifetimed. However, I don't like that option--they took away OTA with the 4 tuner P4.
My only option right now is the standard Premier 2 tuner unit as none of the rest will work with my analog cable.

At this point, even though I just ordered a new TV, I am going to keep my S2 unit. Upgrading at this point to just the 2 tuner premier unit isn't that much of an upgrade except for storage capacity. Also, if/when my cable company forces digital on me, I will likely be switching to DirecTV. The cable service I have now is pretty bad - the only reason I am sticking with it right now is being grandfathered in at old prices for basic cable. So with that, upgrading my Tivo unit or even getting a lifetime subscription isn't worth it as I don't know how long it will be before I need to change providers.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #55
stormtech

Ok folks - I'd like to know more about upgrading to a Premier unit.

When going through the process of getting a new TV, it came to me about the availability to have Netfilx etc. I've never used such a service, but it sounds interesting for the price.

If I would get the 2 tuner Premier unit, how does it work with Netflix? Is it all interconnected somehow? How are the shows from Netflix downloaded to the Tivo unit? I do have my current unit connected via WiFi, but it seems to me it would be rather slow that way. I do have ethernet wiring available - can the Premier unit be connected via ethernet cable or would it be WiFi only? If WiFi, how long does it take to download a 1 hour show?
Old 06-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #56
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Netflix movies are streamed in real time, not downloaded. (Amazon movies are downloaded, though.) WiFi should be fast enough, although wired is always more reliable.

I should probably mention that you can get the Netflix capability from a Roku, which is a lot cheaper than a TiVo and doesn't need a subscription. Then again, it's nice to have everything on one box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #57
stormtech

Ok - thanks. That brings the question - does the Premier unit have an ethernet port? While you say that WiFi would work OK, I'd like to hook it up via enternet directly to my router for the best connection.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #58
bshrock

Yes, all the Premieres have an Ethernet port
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #59
stormtech

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshrock View Post
Yes, all the Premieres have an Ethernet port
Good deal. I figured if I had an ethernet connection available, might as well use it. I had a line run to my daughters bedroom years ago - just pulled it from there are routed it to my TV area - tested and works great.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #60
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Good deal. I figured if I had an ethernet connection available, might as well use it. I had a line run to my daughters bedroom years ago - just pulled it from there are routed it to my TV area - tested and works great.
Just to put in a plug for a fellow Community member, I think ReplayTV still has one lifetimed 2-channel Premeire for sale at $350. Check the Buy/Sell forum.