TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
Joe_Q

HDVR2 Power Supply Problem?

My HDVR2 died today.

Noticed that it was plugged in, but there was no power to the unit at all.

I unplugged it, then tried plugging it back in again, but still no power. Then I tried jiggling the cord, in the back of the box. (where the cord plugs into the box)

It powered up, then I waited for the unit to reboot again. Everything worked fine. I checked, to see if everything was OK, and it was. So I shut it off and thought, that's all it was. (a loose cord, or something like that) Then I came back 10 or 15 minutes later, and it lost power again.

Tried replugging it back in again, but it would not power back on again. When I tried to jiggle the cord again, sparks started shooting out of the back of the unit, where the cord plugs into the back of the box. I saw sparks underneath the unit too, in the same area. Then the unit started to smoke. That's when I pulled the plug, out of the power strip.

Is that my power suppy, that just short circuited? If it was, can I replace it? If it isn't the power supply, can you tell me what it actually was? And can I actually get it fixed?

I bought this HDVR2, a long time ago. I last upgraded it, with a 250 GB hard drive. I believe I have already replaced the power supply once on it, about 5 years ago. Will I have any problem replacing it again, if that's what the problem is?

All my recorded shows are on it, and I want to try to save them all, if I can. Can somebody help me out? Please tell me what the problem is, and where can I get a replacement part, to actually fix it?

I'm out of work right now. So if someone can help out with a used power supply, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Joe Q
Joe_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:03 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Q View Post
My HDVR2 died today.

Noticed that it was plugged in, but there was no power to the unit at all.

I unplugged it, then tried plugging it back in again, but still no power. Then I tried jiggling the cord, in the back of the box. (where the cord plugs into the box)

It powered up, then I waited for the unit to reboot again. Everything worked fine. I checked, to see if everything was OK, and it was. So I shut it off and thought, that's all it was. (a loose cord, or something like that) Then I came back 10 or 15 minutes later, and it lost power again.

Tried replugging it back in again, but it would not power back on again. When I tried to jiggle the cord again, sparks started shooting out of the back of the unit, where the cord plugs into the back of the box. I saw sparks underneath the unit too, in the same area. Then the unit started to smoke. That's when I pulled the plug, out of the power strip.

Is that my power suppy, that just short circuited? If it was, can I replace it? If it isn't the power supply, can you tell me what it actually was? And can I actually get it fixed?

I bought this HDVR2, a long time ago. I last upgraded it, with a 250 GB hard drive. I believe I have already replaced the power supply once on it, about 5 years ago. Will I have any problem replacing it again, if that's what the problem is?

All my recorded shows are on it, and I want to try to save them all, if I can. Can somebody help me out? Please tell me what the problem is, and where can I get a replacement part, to actually fix it?

I'm out of work right now. So if someone can help out with a used power supply, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Joe Q

Have you previously plugged and unplugged the cord from the box a lot?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
Joe_Q

Yes, all the time.

Joe
Old 06-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
Joe_Q

OK,

Just got off the phone with Weaknees. They think it's a bad power supply too, but they said they don't know that for sure.

They said, the only way to know for sure, is to send it in to them, and have them repair it, for a flat $149 fee. And whatever the problem is, they will fix it for me.

I told them, I would love to do that, but I just can't afford it, right now. I asked them, how much would a replacement power supply be? They told me $69.99.

(again, a really expensive option for me, right now)

Anywhere else, I can get a "cheaper" replacement (or used) power supply, so I can try to do the repair myself?

Joe Q
Old 06-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
nmiller855

Ebay
nmiller855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
The electrolytic capacitors on these power supplies are a known problem area. They can be easily replaced if you are handy with a soldering iron.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
Joe_Q

Steve,

I am not. I am a complete novice, at doing something like this.

Does that mean, I will have a problem, doing this repair myself?

I think I replaced a power supply on this same unit, 5 to 8 years ago. I think I bought the power suppy from Weaknees, back then.

I remember replacing a power supply, then selling (or giving away), the rest of the Philips DSR7000 unit, to somebody here, on the Tivo Community board. I believe I only paid half the price (or less) for it, than what Weakness, is actually charging right now.

I also just did a little research online.

Are the power supplies in these Series 2 units below; the same power supply, that is in an HDVR 2?

Hughes SD-DVR40, SD-DVR80, SD-DVR120, the Philips DSR7000, DSR704, DSR708, the RCA DVR39, DVR40, DVR80, DVR120, and the Samsung S4040R, S4080R, S4120R.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #8
poppagene

Quote:
OK,

Just got off the phone with Weaknees. They think it's a bad power supply too, but they said they don't know that for sure.

They said, the only way to know for sure, is to send it in to them, and have them repair it, for a flat $149 fee. And whatever the problem is, they will fix it for me.

I told them, I would love to do that, but I just can't afford it, right now. I asked them, how much would a replacement power supply be? They told me $69.99.

(again, a really expensive option for me, right now)

Anywhere else, I can get a "cheaper" replacement (or used) power supply, so I can try to do the repair myself?

Joe Q
ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Supply...#ht_431wt_1161 for example
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #9
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Replacing the power supply is not difficult. Repairing it, as I suggested, takes some minor skills and experience. The different model boxes do often need slightly different power supplies. As poppagene suggests, searching for "HDVR2 power supply" is your best bet. Make sure that the box is disconnected from power for several minutes before you remove the cover.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
Joe_Q

Thanks for the ebay link, poppagene. But that guy will only except PayPal. And I think you still have to pay for shipping and handling too. There's another link on that same page, asking for $29.95, with free shipping. I might consider getting that one.

I'm now looking for actual used, old Series 2 DirecTivo units. (the ones, with similar compatible power supplies) Seen some on Amazon, and seen some on ebay. Only ten bucks more, than what they are asking, for the actual used power supplies. If I find a used HDVR2, I can use the other spare parts, if I actually needed to.

Thanks for your response, Steve. Wish I could do that soldering thing, to try to repair this power supply. But I read on another board somewhere; you shouldn't even attempt to try do something like that (if you don't know), what you are actually doing. Besides, I don't even own a soldering iron.

Hopefully, I'll be able to find an inexpensive power supply replacement. Or a used (or broken) Series 2 DirecTivo unit, that still has a working power supply unit in it.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #11
poppagene

Quote:
Thanks for the ebay link, poppagene. But that guy will only except PayPal. And I think you still have to pay for shipping and handling too. There's another link on that same page, asking for $29.95, with free shipping. I might consider getting that one.

I'm now looking for actual used, old Series 2 DirecTivo units. (the ones, with similar compatible power supplies) Seen some on Amazon, and seen some on ebay. Only ten bucks more, than what they are asking, for the actual used power supplies. If I find a used HDVR2, I can use the other spare parts, if I actually needed to.

Thanks for your response, Steve. Wish I could do that soldering thing, to try to repair this power supply. But I read on another board somewhere; you shouldn't even attempt to try do something like that (if you don't know), what you are actually doing. Besides, I don't even own a soldering iron.

Hopefully, I'll be able to find an inexpensive power supply replacement. Or a used (or broken) Series 2 DirecTivo unit, that still has a working power supply unit in it.
The link I gave also has free shipping.

Where are you geographically?
Old 06-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #12
Joe_Q

I live just west, of Boston, Ma.

He'll only accept PayPal, right?

I don't have a PayPal account anymore. That'll probably cost me another 6 bucks, on top of the $29.95, won't it?

The other guy accepts other, different payment methods.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #13
poppagene

Quote:
I live just west, of Boston, Ma.

He'll only accept PayPal, right?

I don't have a PayPal account anymore. That'll probably cost me another 6 bucks, on top of the $29.95, won't it?

The other guy accepts other, different payment methods.
If you were near DC, I could have set you up with my barely used HDVR2. Good Luck.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #14
unitron

Quote:
Yes, all the time.

Joe
There's your problem (assuming you do not also have capacitors going bad)--the connection between the power input jack and the power supply circuit board has broken from getting wiggled.

It can be fixed.

Do you happen to own a soldering gun?

Old 06-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #15
Joe_Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
If you were near DC, I could have set you up with my barely used HDVR2. Good Luck.
poppagene,

Is there any way, we can work something out, long distance?

I would be willing to pay the shipping and handling, for you to send it to me in Massachusetts.

How much, would you actually want?

Joe Q
Old 06-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #16
Joe_Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
There's your problem (assuming you do not also have capacitors going bad)--the connection between the power input jack and the power supply circuit board has broken from getting wiggled.

It can be fixed.

Do you happen to own a soldering gun?
Hi unitron,

I think you're right.

I think that's exactly, what the problem is. But I have no experience, in being able to fix this problem at all. I wouldn't want to screw the whole thing up, by soldering it in the wrong place. (or in the wrong way) I don't even own a soldering iron.

I wish someone could do it for me.

Joe Q
Old 06-19-2013, 05:00 AM   #17
Joe_Q

Question:

If I'm only planning on REPLACING my power supply, (and not actually repairing it)...

I shouldn't have to worry about what's actually said here below, should I?

Quote:
WARNING! The power supply includes unshielded contacts that are directly connected to line voltage. THIS CAN KILL YOU. Do not work on a power supply when it is plugged in. Do not work on power supplies if you don't know what you are doing. I did not say how to desolder and replace the capacitor. If you don't already know how to do this, you should not be working on power supplies.
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...-Power-Supply/
Old 06-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #18
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

As long as you're not planning on putting your fingers INSIDE the power supply, no, those warnings do not apply.

However, take Steve's advice above and unplug the power supply and leave it be for at least 10 minutes before you try to remove it - and be careful of touching exposed cables or wires. The capacitors will retain power for some time (that's what they're designed to do!) and could still give quite a shock.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #19
Joe_Q

Thanks for all your help, guys.

Got a replacement power supply in the mail today. Just hooked it up, and everything is working fine again.

The right prong (where the cord plugs into the back of the box), was pushed in an additional eighth (to a quarter) of an inch more, than the left prong. When it did that, it caused the power supply to short circuit. Now it is toast. (no chance of actually repairing it)

I'm happy everything worked out OK.

Thanks again, for all your help.

Joe Q

Last edited by Joe_Q : 06-22-2013 at 05:41 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 06-23-2013, 04:57 AM   #20
unitron

Quote:
Thanks for all your help, guys.

Got a replacement power supply in the mail today. Just hooked it up, and everything is working fine again.

The right prong (where the cord plugs into the back of the box), was pushed in an additional eighth (to a quarter) of an inch more, than the left prong. When it did that, it caused the power supply to short circuit. Now it is toast. (no chance of actually repairing it)

I'm happy everything worked out OK.

Thanks again, for all your help.

Joe Q
I'll bet it is fixable, and fairly easily so.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:22 AM   #21
Joe_Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I'll bet it is fixable, and fairly easily so.
unitron,

The right prong is also bent a little bit. And there's a really bad burn mark, on the bottom of the power supply board. (it doesn't look good to me)

You wanna try to fix it for me?

Let me know, if you do. I'll pay postage both ways, if you're willing to give it a shot.

Let me know.

Joe Q